Untitled WIP (Some kind of melodic metal?)

PDA

View Full Version : Untitled WIP (Some kind of melodic metal?)

madbasslover
08-17-2011, 09:33 PM
This is something I've been working on for the past few days. It moves through a handful of different musical styles and it's not exactly straight-up metal, so I'm not entirely certain what genre to call it. For the most part I'd say it's good to go, but it's a little rough around the edges and I could use some suggestions for smoothing out the transitions between each section. Any other suggestions and general feedback are welcome, of course. As is the custom around these parts, I'll C4C. :cheers:

Also, I'd strongly suggest listening to this with RSE. I've added a version mixed for MIDI, but there's a lot that's lost from the song (in my opinion, anyways) if you listen to it with the RSE off.

BloodReverence
08-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey man, I really liked your piece. The only thing is that it's just REALLY repetitive. Some parts need to be changed up a bit or shortened.

Otherwise, I love how well you layered everything man.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471871

MyS3lF
08-17-2011, 10:06 PM
i listened, was a bit repetitive, but seems good nevertheless.

i dont understand much of guitar pro, sometimes you have 2 or 3 guitars with same sound playing the same thing, why? does it give it an extra effect or sth?

madbasslover
08-18-2011, 12:17 AM
i listened, was a bit repetitive, but seems good nevertheless.

i dont understand much of guitar pro, sometimes you have 2 or 3 guitars with same sound playing the same thing, why? does it give it an extra effect or sth?

Well, in the case of tracks 7, 8, and 9, I have each one playing the same thing one eighth note apart to create a delay effect. It creates a more organic delay sound than the one the RSE has and it also works with MIDI, unlike the RSE delay.

Also, addressing the issue of repetitiveness, whenever I can get around to recording this I plan on having vocals, so most of that repetition is just leaving space for that.

Burning_Angel
08-18-2011, 07:26 PM
First, this is definitely repetitive. I like the atmosphere though. Repetition is fine in smart doses. Mostly here it's good. Although, the bit at 74 is not necessarily a welcome return of that part. While it's good, theres little changed and just didnt hold me... The part after it is a nice variation on the previous version of it.

This is a bit too much like Opeth for my liking though. Forest Stream I guess too, if you know them. I say that cause the first real riff sounds exactly like the Baying of the Hounds riff. And thats about the only riff in the song, otherwise it revolves a lot around similar themes [I like that about it by the way]. And that bit just comes out really really suddenly as well.

The delay effect when the dist. comes in is just way too overpowering as well; makes the clean guitars huge and muddy and the dist non-existent. Same issue when it comes back later in the song. In the 227 and such.

Another issue I have with it is it just kind of... goes. Without really going anywhere. The dynamics need work I guess is what I'm getting at, as it's very... Monotonous? Theres not much in the way of shifts in intensity, building up or quieting down, etc. [although the volume level shifts I think you have better than the intensity shifting]

madbasslover
08-18-2011, 07:46 PM
First, this is definitely repetitive. I like the atmosphere though. Repetition is fine in smart doses. Mostly here it's good. Although, the bit at 74 is not necessarily a welcome return of that part. While it's good, theres little changed and just didnt hold me... The part after it is a nice variation on the previous version of it.

1. This is a bit too much like Opeth for my liking though. Forest Stream I guess too, if you know them. I say that cause the first real riff sounds exactly like the Baying of the Hounds riff. And thats about the only riff in the song, otherwise it revolves a lot around similar themes [I like that about it by the way]. And that bit just comes out really really suddenly as well.

2. The delay effect when the dist. comes in is just way too overpowering as well; makes the clean guitars huge and muddy and the dist non-existent. Same issue when it comes back later in the song. In the 227 and such.

3. Another issue I have with it is it just kind of... goes. Without really going anywhere. The dynamics need work I guess is what I'm getting at, as it's very... Monotonous? Theres not much in the way of shifts in intensity, building up or quieting down, etc. [although the volume level shifts I think you have better than the intensity shifting]

1. I don't really hear the similarity to Baying of the Hounds, honestly, but I do agree with you about the suddenness of that riff. Part of the reason I posted this here as a work in progress is because transitioning between sections has always been an issue in my songwriting and I was hoping for suggestions that would help me make the song sound more fluid.

2. Yeah, I know. The problem is that I had to choose between making the delay too loud or inaudible. Since the rhythm guitars in the background aren't really the focus of that segment, I chose to put them on the backburner. Once I can properly record this it'll be mixed much better.

3. I agree, I just don't know what to do with it to make it sound more like a song and less like a collection of decent parts haphazardly thrown into the same 7 minute space. Any suggestions would be more than welcome, as I posted this here just as much for feedback as I did for help with my songwriting.

AtTheGates\m/
08-18-2011, 10:27 PM
a nice like atmosphere and flow but not very memorable maybe put some like shorter more intense melodic parts in it like on top of some of the more mellow parts. idk though might ruin the atmosphere a but to do that though. well maybe try it make put like a bunch or little solos on it to break up the repetition it is kind of like a beautiful ride down a river with all trees on the banks. Why not make some other boaters or animals or towns/ bridges castles etc with leads?

madbasslover
08-19-2011, 01:44 PM
a nice like atmosphere and flow but not very memorable maybe put some like shorter more intense melodic parts in it like on top of some of the more mellow parts. idk though might ruin the atmosphere a but to do that though. well maybe try it make put like a bunch or little solos on it to break up the repetition it is kind of like a beautiful ride down a river with all trees on the banks. Why not make some other boaters or animals or towns/ bridges castles etc with leads?

I like that idea, I'm gonna try that.