Would YOU Listen To This?

PDA

View Full Version : Would YOU Listen To This?

Jake the Peg
08-22-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure if this kind of C4C is allowed on this forum but here goes...
I'm looking to start a new band after having been in a slightly generic and failing metalcore group.
Me and the old vocalist gathered some ideas together about influences and musical style to get a general picture of how the band would sound and feel, and I started writing on guitar pro and got some sketchy ideas down in writing (kinda).
I'd be really grateful if you could listen through a few of these files - they're only short - and let me know what bits you like and what you don't like. Would you listen to this kind of music? What kind of line-ups would you imagine this band to play with? Is it catchy/not catchy? If you were to play in this band what would you want to change?
I am trying to go for a minimalist, ambient kind of feel, with quite a lot of repetitive (shouted and sung) vocals. Bands that have influenced this stuff are: Fallacies, Year of No Light, The Elijah, Foals, Bombay Bicycle Club, Voices...
tl;dr - do you dig this kind of shit?
C4C

Zaphod_Beeblebr
08-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I would probably listen to it but I'll give you some advice:

Don't change what you write based on what people do or do not like. Other people are all stupid, only you know what you want to do and doing it any other way is just as stupid.

Panasonic3
08-22-2011, 12:39 PM
12 was awesome. obviously needs some solid vocals. that chorus was very nice and i liked the jam after it too.

Thsoesbergen
08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I liked 12, but I do have one thing on my mind though:
The timing of the the chord in the intro seems odd to me,
could be the drums accentuating a bit a little later, could be that the chord is played to soon.
However, if you did this on purpose to build tension or suspension or are going for an "odd-rhythm-that-is-validified-by-the-other-instruments-a-while-later" type thing I retract my statement :D
Other than that, solid work man ;)

amonamarthmetal
08-22-2011, 02:23 PM
more. and make them longer.

guitar_jew
08-22-2011, 03:07 PM
I've listened to 12, 11 and 10. My complaint is that the endings to 12 and 11 (not really endings, as they're works in progress, but you know what I mean) sound very similar. They both give their respective effects well, but if you put those ideas on an album, spread them apart. Listening to one right after the other makes them both feel redundant.

As for ambiance, 10 was easily my favorite. I changed bars 12-13. In guitar 1, the minor 2nd bugged me, so I took that out, and while it didn't bother me as much in guitar 2, I still moved the E up to an F# for bar 12, and than a D# in 13. It sounds more like a resolution to me like that. However, after that everything is in order. I wish there was more bass, but as is, it's really enjoyable, especially after I put a repeat over 14-29. Honestly, with what you have, melodic vocals would be better. I could see the hardcore vocals over the trem picked sections in 12 and 11, but I'd rather hear a soaring, Craig Owens sort of thing over those bits.

Talk to your singer about learning how to sing melodies if he doesn't already know. At least for me, it's much more cathartic to sing notes over chord changes than to yell- and I don't mean that as a knock against hardcore vocals, I love them as much as the next guy, I just prefer melody as a general rule of thumb.

But definitely a good start. Keep us posted if you record anything, I'd like to hear it properly demoed or maybe even fully produced/mixed etc.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468576

FacetOfChaos
08-22-2011, 09:12 PM
As mentioned before, the endings of 11 and 12 were both very similar. I liked the percussion you used. I felt that you could do a lot more with the reverb than you did. The parts I liked the most in your songs are the extended chords in the jazz guitar. They were like little splashes of color and really added to the feel in my opinion.

Mitsos55
08-22-2011, 09:39 PM
6 was pretty awesome in my opinion. It actually inspired me a huge deal, for some ambient melancholic stuff I'm trying to write down. Besides the things already mentioned, the drums you write are really interesting. Great job.

Julz127
08-23-2011, 02:51 AM
I would probably listen to it but I'll give you some advice:

Don't change what you write based on what people do or do not like. Other people are all stupid, only you know what you want to do and doing it any other way is just as stupid.

Kind of defeats the purpose of this forum then don't you think? :D

Mean Mr Mustard
08-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Ive never heard those bands, but this is some great stuff here. Loved the drumwork throughout

Jake the Peg
08-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Ive never heard those bands, but this is some great stuff here. Loved the drumwork throughout
they're british indie / alternative / hardcore bands.
fallacies are amazing, they put on such a show and everyone at their gigs just get sucked into the music. I found them really moving... check em out
http://www.facebook.com/FALLACIES

Ometh
08-28-2011, 09:14 PM
(...) after having been in a slightly generic and failing metalcore group.
(...)C4C

"Metalcore" and "slightly generic" can't be placed in the same setence: or you guys are "generic shitty Metalcore" or you guys are "generic even shittier Metalcore trying to be hip and cool and failing".

(...)
Don't change what you write based on what people do or do not like. Other people are all stupid, only you know what you want to do and doing it any other way is just as stupid. (...)

Unless he writes music to sell, duh. He wants to create a band to have profit, and he's trying to see if he can write shit that is based on his influences and still sell well at Hot Topic. IMO, you should jus totally rip off Whitechapel (or ******chapel, aka Oceano, but they sound the same so who cares), or rip off some generic metalcore band like, I don't know, Bullet For My Valentine. Or you can try to add some also generic and shitty trance influences, and pull of a Brokencyde or Design The Skyline sound, posers love that shit.

EDIT: To answer to the thread's title question, no I wouldn't, but I also listen to music that I like and I do not enjoy this genre. Although nowadays you could shit out the most random genre of music and still have fans following it, even if they are really few. Also, good luck finding a drummer who can pull off those snare/tom rolls; I guess the fastest drummer of 2011 is not into minimalisticcore.

WestOfTheSun
08-28-2011, 10:34 PM
If you played it right, it would sound like post rock. I could see it sounding like the band Envy. Good stuff. I listened to 12 btw.

Jake the Peg
08-30-2011, 07:23 AM
If you played it right, it would sound like post rock. I could see it sounding like the band Envy. Good stuff. I listened to 12 btw.

yeah i've just started to get into that kinda stuff.
any links to C4C anyone?

twisted knickers ometh?

Ometh
08-30-2011, 10:42 AM
twisted knickers ometh?
Nah, just hate selling out and playing music that is mainstream at the moment in order to gain money. Do music that you like, don't just be a money slut.

Jake the Peg
08-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Nah, just hate selling out and playing music that is mainstream at the moment in order to gain money. Do music that you like, don't just be a money slut.
I don't think that this project would make much money, and that's certainly not why I'd put effort into something like this. Perhaps I didn't word my question right - what I meant to ask was:
do these few ideas sound interesting, coherent, or enjoyable?
what could I do to improve them? (both in general terms and note-for-note terms)
would you go to see a band that plays this music? (because I don't see a whole lot of point in putting money and effort into a band that will not be listened to)

Ometh
08-30-2011, 12:40 PM
(because I don't see a whole lot of point in putting money and effort into a band that will not be listened to)
I think you are looking at this aspect with the wrong mindset; nowadays it is possible to write any kind of genre and be listened to; even bands as hated as Brokencyde (although I can bet my ass they are doing it for the money) have a huge fanbase: in my opinion, do the music you like, there will always be a market for it, even if its brutal polka beat death grind played with a triangle and a banjo.

EDIT:
I don't think that this project would make much money, and that's certainly not why I'd put effort into something like this.
So what's the point of being afraid of doing music that will not be listened to? Also, so your band will be listened to, try to work on your music first and then try to promote it; not shure about this topic, since I also have a band and don't know a good way to promote it, but one way would be to somehow get to play in a small pub or something, to become more popular in your area, and record some of your tracks and make them available somewhere.

Rokkstar
08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
This is a pretty beast style of music... I've never heard it before... It's like super chill and epic at the same time... I think you have your own style in the forum... I don't believe anyone else has written anything remotely anything like this... My favorite was 10 or 11... They were off the chain!! Issue with all of this... Make full songs not just sections, please? I think we would all appreciate it. There's not really a whole lot that you can say off of these little intervals except... We need MOAR. NAO. <3

I wish I could say more... But I need more to be able to...

Crit4Crit, please? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473860

frankibo
09-03-2011, 04:31 PM
I'd definitely call this Post Rock. I love the minimalistic style, something I've never achieved seeing as I love to embellish pieces. The only band I've listened to that sound like this are Explosions In The Sky. Keep going and don't worry if people will listen or blah blah blah, do whatever makes you happy, **** everyone else.