fission (another jazz metal thing)

PDA

View Full Version : fission (another jazz metal thing)

ThexUnblindx1
08-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Progressive jazz metal! Lemme know what you think and if you wanna c4c that's cool too

edit...i had to zip the file. forgive my lack of know-how in posting, but please enjoy my non-lack of know-how in using gpro

Ascendant
08-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Pretty cool, reminds me a bit of An Endless Sporadic (bet you didn't see that one coming :rolleyes: ). Disappointing outro, I was hoping that the song would amount to something larger rather than just going back to the chorus, which was the only part of the song I disliked.

Also Progressive Jazz Metal sounds kinda pretentious, just saying, at least lose one of the prefixes.

ThexUnblindx1
08-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the input. That's pretty funny that it reminds you of An Endless Sporadic, because I haven't listened to those guys in forever. I didn't imagine the song to sound like them, but I appreciate the comparison :)

In regards to the outro, I know it's pretty lame, but that sounded at least alright to me and I just wanted to post that ish. What exactly did you not like about the chorus?

And damn, friend, it hurts that you called my genre description pretentious :( I just wanted to imply that the metal part was more along the lines of progressive metal than death metal or other sub-genres.

DiminishedFifth
09-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Not a full crit, I just wanted to say that I like the song a lot and I like the way you separated the chords. Though the Jazz intro seems random. You might as well make it it's own separate song, if you ask me.

To make the outro sound better, what you could do (and this is simple) is just delete everything after the last Ab in measure 189. Or you could repeat the awesome riff at the beginning of the chorus and have it fade-out. Or, and here's another idea, bring the jazz intro back and spice it up a bit to bring the song to a satisfying conclusion.

FacetOfChaos
09-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I actually really enjoyed it as well. No complaints here although you may want to try out some things like d5 mentioned to make it a more conclusive ending. If you like the abrupt, slightly hanging ending feel to it then keep it as it is. Both are perfectly fine.

ThexUnblindx1
09-02-2011, 09:47 AM
DiminishedFifth: Thanks! I always like it when someone can give a couple ideas about fixing songs (or anything really) up. On that note, I think I like the jazz idea best for the outro. Maybe what I could do is extend out the brass chords and lay new clean guitar parts over it after a phrase of just keys. That would smooth out the transition and sound pretty cool. I'll work on that and hopefully have something within a week. I'll crit one of your songs this weekend when I have some free time. Any one in particular that you would like done?

FacetofChaos: I'm glad you like it! I'm gonna test this idea out and hopefully it sounds pretty sweet, but I'll repost soon and be happy if you can give me additional feedback to the update. Also do you have an songs I could crit?

The Buttmonkey
09-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Well dang, I loved it, I didn't notice anything wrong and I think the outro wraps it up nicely. 5 of 5 stars man!

DiminishedFifth
09-03-2011, 02:01 AM
If you want to, do either Taste the Dawn or Tides :D

guitar_jew
09-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Damn, dude. This is awesome. The jazz-metal thing is pretty hard to do well, but this is extremely well-executed, and it goes through its share of unique textures. I like that the metal sections aren't so much focused on being brutal.

And the chord use is excellent, although as DiminishedFifth said, the jazz intro was a little odd, and the outro is a little unsatisfying. Other than that, it's great. I'd like to see more of this type of thing on here.

I couldn't help myself, I had to put a fusion-y solo over the extended chord section. I've attached what I've got, if you're interested at all. There's bits and pieces that I'm not too fond of, but I like what I've done for the most part. However, it's not my piece, so it's really not my call what goes there.

As for C4C, take your pick between the one in my sig, or this. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468576