Cruise Control (Moon Rock) (GPX/Web Stream)

PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control (Moon Rock) (GPX/Web Stream)

STONESHAKER
09-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey guys,

This one is a little bit more active and progressive than the last one. The sensation I was trying to describe with the main idea is that of driving a car into the sky, inspired by a drive over the Tapanzee Bridge on my way to New Jersey one summer. Well, there's more behind it than that, but anyways.

C4C as always.

Stream the song exported in .wav form from GP6 here:
http://nettropolis.bandcamp.com/track/2-cruise-control

WizMystery
09-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Loved it.

There are, of course, a few things I would change though. The recording itself was a little wimpy on the guitars - I would either EQ them or double them up (record a second take and juxtapose) - and a bit high on the bass. The GP file shows you probably wanted the guitars to be a little softer, but the sound is a bit muddy. At about 0:44, the guitars then have a shift in volume that should be compensated since it feels out of place while the other instruments remain at the same level.

The use of 'linear dissonance' (er, polytonality) is actually pretty interesting, something I haven't seen in prog or distorted guitars in general, and it worked out well on the recording as opposed to not translating well out of midi. I also liked the m2's that began at the outro, but you turned to a more conventional harmony afterwords. I would bring them back somehow within that riff, perhaps alternating between the m2's and thirds.

STONESHAKER
09-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the crit man, quick question though.

As far as EQing the guitars; I agree, do you think I should scoop the guitars when I record it with actual instruments, or maybe boost the mids? I feel like a lot of the riffs would probably benefit from a scoop, but I'm not much of a producer. When I record it with actual guitars I'll see if I can get one of my former bandmates to help me produce it because he's good at that stuff.

As far as the linear dissonance, yeah man, I came up with the original idea back in college, but it was like G - F# - F, straight barre chords with an eighth note feel and a little slide action into the E7#9, no E Lydian E Minor tomfoolery. It was really rewarding for me to go back and experiment with it, surprised myself at how different I made it sound.

WizMystery
09-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the crit man, quick question though.

As far as EQing the guitars; I agree, do you think I should scoop the guitars when I record it with actual instruments, or maybe boost the mids? I feel like a lot of the riffs would probably benefit from a scoop, but I'm not much of a producer. When I record it with actual guitars I'll see if I can get one of my former bandmates to help me produce it because he's good at that stuff.

I haven't had much luck in recording distorted guitars myself - but if you use a pod or usb-connected amp I would suggest recording it clean and then adding a few VST amps on it. If you have FL Studio, Hardcore isn't that bad, and browsing through the presets can easily find you a good EQ. TubeAmp is another but I'm unfamiliar with it since I've always used Hardcore. The reason for this is that the bass feeling of a live amp seems to be lost in translation, so you would probably boost the bass, not necessarily the mids. But this is coming from a guy who's only recorded clean guitars successfully, so take it as you will.

As far as the linear dissonance, yeah man, I came up with the original idea back in college, but it was like G - F# - F, straight barre chords with an eighth note feel and a little slide action into the E7#9, no E Lydian E Minor tomfoolery. It was really rewarding for me to go back and experiment with it, surprised myself at how different I made it sound.

Well keep experimenting with it and see what you get because it's actually a new concept to bring to metal.

STONESHAKER
09-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Hey, don't know if you'll get this, but I just uploaded the updated GPX and GP5 files as well as the updated GPX recording. Some changes.
- Mixed a lot better; guitars less wimpy sounding
- Song in general is less repetitive and ideas flow better, some ideas dropped, some ideas added
- Cool Opeth/Donnie Darko-esque acoustic space out-ro

WizMystery
09-22-2011, 08:39 PM
I don't want to send you in circles but now I can't hear the bass.