Post-Metal piece [GPx/5/midi C4C]

PDA

View Full Version : Post-Metal piece [GPx/5/midi C4C]

robertito696
09-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Ignore the title, I was listening to a lot of shoegaze when the guitar part was written, over a year ago. I recently redid the bass and drums. The distorted bass riff will be way heavier when I record it, GP sucks for slow heavy riffs.

I almost wish it was longer but don't want it to be repetitive. C4C as always.

Edit: It appears the tracks got messed up. You should use these midi options:
Clean - Electric Guitar (jazz)
Dist R - Overdriven Guitar
Dist L - Distortion Guitar
Electric Bass - Bass Finger
Dist. Bass - Distortion Guitar

Life Is Brutal
09-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Interesting piece, and I didn't have much idea of what "Shoegaze" or Post Metal was until recently. It was described as being progressive and metal, while not being progressive metal.

I really don't see much need to categorize it differently. :haha:

But anywho, its was a pretty enjoyable piece. The harmonic sounds might get annoying, and they seem to give it a bit of an "Industrial" feel, if that makes sense. Overall, good themes, and even though its shorter than you want, it still seems fairly repetitive. Good job though, very nice sound.

C4C?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1481924

Mean Mr Mustard
09-24-2011, 03:31 PM
The first riff that starts off the song was really nice. The guitar harmonics actually sounded really cool, and when it went into distortion, the sound was nice. Bar 27, in 7/4 was really nice too. However, at bar 28, that's exactly where the guitar harmonics start to get a little annoying. That section in general also felt a little out of place. But the transition to the next part was nice. And track 3's rhythm part was pretty sweet.

Bar 47, I have to guess that thats not how its going to sound haha. But I could imagine if that were a distorted bass sound, it would be pretty heavy. 63-66 didn't really sit with me too well on the guitar's parts. But going back to the main theme was nice. The ending was pretty chaotic but it worked.

Overall, this was probably one of the most unique guitar pro creations I've ever heard. The sound was weird, but the harmonics track just made that main theme sound so much bigger. However, again, it gets tiresome in places, and that bass would sound much better in life, it sounds kinda bad in GP5...

C4C with one of the songs in my sig?

robertito696
09-24-2011, 03:45 PM
What do you mean by harmonics? Do you mean the midi guitar harmonics setting in gp? It's supposed to be clean or distorted/overdrive guitars, their shouldn't be any harmonics.

Thanks for the crits though. Its one of the few pieces I've gotten around to finishing.

Mean Mr Mustard
09-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Yeah I was referring to the Guitar Harmonics track, maybe it's not supposed to be that?

robertito696
09-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah, it should be:
Clean - Electric Guitar (jazz)
Dist R - Overdriven Guitar
Dist L - Distortion Guitar
Electric Bass - Bass Finger
Dist. Bass - Distortion Guitar

I'll edit that into the op.

robertito696
09-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Interesting piece, and I didn't have much idea of what "Shoegaze" or Post Metal was until recently. It was described as being progressive and metal, while not being progressive metal.

I really don't see much need to categorize it differently. :haha:

I just think of it (post-metal) as combining the atmospheric-ness of post rock with the heaviness and aggression of metal. Metal with droning atmospheric stuff basically. idk

Kaz3-6-0
09-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the crit!

This is a really interesting song. The opening riff is mysterious sounding, sort of eerie, and sets the mood for this song. Bar 32 was nice, but by the time it gets to bar 40 it gets repetitive. Maye try switching the order around, by having Dist. L play the power chords in the beginning of the section, and Dist R playing the higher part, then have Dist L play a harmony over Dist R. The song sounds like a slow march for some army or something, haha. Overall it was nice, but are you really tuned that low? That's almost an octave below standard

robertito696
09-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the crit!

This is a really interesting song. The opening riff is mysterious sounding, sort of eerie, and sets the mood for this song. Bar 32 was nice, but by the time it gets to bar 40 it gets repetitive. Maye try switching the order around, by having Dist. L play the power chords in the beginning of the section, and Dist R playing the higher part, then have Dist L play a harmony over Dist R. The song sounds like a slow march for some army or something, haha. Overall it was nice, but are you really tuned that low? That's almost an octave below standard
It's a baritone tuned up from B standard to C with the 6th string dropped down 2.5 steps. Mastodon and Neurosis use the same tuning I just dropped it down a step or two. A little crazy, yes, but you can do some cool stuff.

Kaz3-6-0
09-25-2011, 02:47 PM
It's a baritone tuned up from B standard to C with the 6th string dropped down 2.5 steps. Mastodon and Neurosis use the same tuning I just dropped it down a step or two. A little crazy, yes, but you can do some cool stuff.

Ah that makes sense. I just thought it might be too low because guitar pro didn't sound good. Not too crazy though, I've tuned down to A# on a Les Paul once, haha

robertito696
09-26-2011, 04:14 PM
^ I tune to drop A# a lot, a la Baroness, on my Schecter. I normally use 11s but I've been subbing the 49 with a 54 on the 6th string, so that lets me do some really low tunings. Guitar Pro is awful with low tunings, sometimes I have to quickly test record a riff or two because guitar pro makes it sound weird or overly dissonant when it isn't.

frankibo
09-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I call that tuning Drop A# Low G, Drop A# but then the lowest string tuned down 1 and a half steps to G. Architects using Drop B Low G# in Early Grave off Hollow Crown. Its a pretty cool tuning. The Arusha Accord use Drop C# low A# sometimes as well, it's quite a commonly used type of tuning. Don't know if it has a proper name yet but if it doesn't I've coined it.

robertito696
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I think of it as dropping the C string down 5 semitones rather than A# down 2.5. For whatever reason it makes more sense to me that way. Afaik Neurosis were the first to use it.

robertito696
09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Any opinions on the drums? This is the first song where I can physically play all the parts, so I'm curious if they're interesting enough.

Grovermans
09-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Firstly, it's rather repetitive, and it moves too slow with too little variation to hold interest. Secondly, and most importantly, the whole thing just feels very empty to me. You've got all your instruments all doing the same melody for a lot of the time. Make it bigger. If you're going for atmosphere, you're not doing a very good job. Get the clean guitar playing something ethereal over the distorted rhythm. Have your two distorted guitars (and the bass too, actually) doing different things than just following the single melody you've got going. You've got three instruments playing the same thing, when they could be harmonizing or backing the melody with larger chords to give it a bigger sound and more atmosphere.

robertito696
09-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the crit.

The recorded version will have a bunch of reverb on the guitars, ideally that will create even more of a drone. I'll try to work in some different melodies.