anyone have Addictive Drums?

PDA

View Full Version : anyone have Addictive Drums?

touke
09-24-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't know where I should post this, this place seems good because I'll be posting a MIDI file anyways.

So, does anyone with addictive drums want to help me out by converting the sound of my MIDI file? I know it can be done, and I've done it with DFH but it really just sounds bad, I feel like I've wasted money on that VST!

The midi file is uploaded to this thread, if anyone wants to, let me know please

slingshotjr
09-24-2011, 10:35 PM
DKFH is great, if i wer you i would just tweak the hell out of it

Ascendant
09-24-2011, 11:08 PM
DFH isn't too bad for the price, though I personally despise the cymbals and hihat(s?) in that software. You should really spend some more time programming your midi files and making more interesting fills and beats, what you have there is very robotic and will bring out the worst side of most drum softwares. DFH won't sound good in every mix ever without you actually mixing it. Perhaps this is the reason why you're not liking it? I've seen a lot of people who expect it to just sound like their favorite album out of the box.

None the less I could run it through Superior Drummer 2 for you (unless you necessarily must have AD for some reason). Though you'll have to actually know how to mix drums because while SD2 has good samples, like any real drum kit it won't sound up to par with modern productions unless you do some processing.

touke
09-25-2011, 12:49 AM
DFH isn't too bad for the price, though I personally despise the cymbals and hihat(s?) in that software. You should really spend some more time programming your midi files and making more interesting fills and beats, what you have there is very robotic and will bring out the worst side of most drum softwares. DFH won't sound good in every mix ever without you actually mixing it. Perhaps this is the reason why you're not liking it? I've seen a lot of people who expect it to just sound like their favorite album out of the box.

None the less I could run it through Superior Drummer 2 for you (unless you necessarily must have AD for some reason). Though you'll have to actually know how to mix drums because while SD2 has good samples, like any real drum kit it won't sound up to par with modern productions unless you do some processing.

thanks for taking the time to check it out, i know i'm not good at making them sound dynamic, nor do I know what people mean by tweaking DFH (?). I've learned that turning the room setting down on the mixer is good for drums, but everything else kind of flies right over my head! Any drum program with good samples would be fine, but if like you say I'd need to be able to process (not sure what you mean) in order to sound any good, I don't know what to do hehe.

Ascendant
09-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Yeah the problem with SD2 for people who don't know how to mix is that all the samples are unprocessed. You'd be better off with Steven slate drums 3 since those samples are already processed and will get you at least a decent drum sound. If I were to process your midi file with SD2 you would either get
A: one stereo wav track with unmixed drums, which won't sound much better than DFH.
B: one processed stereo wav track with mixed drums which probably won't sit too well in your particular mix but at least sound better than DFH.
C: Stems for every track so you can mix them yourself, but I guess that's not an option since you're unfamiliar with that topic.

I was going to run your midi file through a preset I made recently but there was no tempo map in your midi file, at least not a tempo which Reaper nor TuxGuitar were familiar with.

touke
09-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Yeah the problem with SD2 for people who don't know how to mix is that all the samples are unprocessed. You'd be better off with Steven slate drums 3 since those samples are already processed and will get you at least a decent drum sound. If I were to process your midi file with SD2 you would either get
A: one stereo wav track with unmixed drums, which won't sound much better than DFH.
B: one processed stereo wav track with mixed drums which probably won't sit too well in your particular mix but at least sound better than DFH.
C: Stems for every track so you can mix them yourself, but I guess that's not an option since you're unfamiliar with that topic.

I was going to run your midi file through a preset I made recently but there was no tempo map in your midi file, at least not a tempo which Reaper nor TuxGuitar were familiar with.

If you knew the tempo, could it work? It's 120, it should be the tempo that I think all or most programs start on when opened. well tabit and Cubase start at 120, I know that for sure ;)

Ascendant
09-25-2011, 04:57 AM
If you knew the tempo, could it work? It's 120, it should be the tempo that I think all or most programs start on when opened. well tabit and Cubase start at 120, I know that for sure ;)

Yeah but I had it set to 160 by default in the template I was using and it didn't change to 120 when I imported the midi file into Reaper so that's why I was uncertain. Anyway here's what I conjured up for you, take it or leave it. :waldo:

http://min.us/lfMzTYhXy3Amy

touke
09-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Yeah but I had it set to 160 by default in the template I was using and it didn't change to 120 when I imported the midi file into Reaper so that's why I was uncertain. Anyway here's what I conjured up for you, take it or leave it. :waldo:

This sounds great actually. I might get Superior Drummer, then learn to f with it to get this sort of sound. I really appreciate this dude thanks.

touke
09-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Here's the outcome of your drum sound and my song! Check it out if you want

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/touke/music/all/play1046627

Ascendant
09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
That's pretty cool, guitars sound really dark and muddy though and you should record a bass guitar, would add a lot to the track.