Unspecified Genre O_O

PDA

View Full Version : Unspecified Genre O_O

gabrielcev
09-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Just a song I kind of pieced together over the course of 3 days. Not really going for anything specific I just wrote whatever sounded good to me. I will C4C...

frankibo
09-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Alright then, one of two things has happened here.
1) You're trolling. Hopefully it's this one because if it's not...
2) You had some sort of serious brain injury, because your ability to process music is gone.

gabrielcev
09-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Alright then, one of two things has happened here.
1) You're trolling. Hopefully it's this one because if it's not...
2) You had some sort of serious brain injury, because your ability to process music is gone.
Did you even listen to the whole thing...? It might not be generic music but it aint shit just because it sounds different. Give it a chance and listen to the whole thing not just the beginning... and you mustve had some serious brain injury when u typed that because i got some serious compliments from this song.

pigeonmafia
09-25-2011, 04:23 PM
i got some serious compliments from this song.

Really? I'm not saying it's bad, because you've obviously put a lot of effort in and you're happy with it.

But it's not 'epic compliment' material...

THEdevilYOUknow
09-25-2011, 04:24 PM
There are too many parts that seem to "clash". It just feels too dense. But to each his own I guess.

You do have some good ideas in there. I'll give you that. I really like the string melody at about measure 53 mostly.

Jacob<3Guitar
09-25-2011, 04:34 PM
I strangely liked it. Nobody start being a fool and say I have certain inabilities in some areas of music, I'm open to something a little different now and again and this was cool. Good Job :)

Flibo
09-25-2011, 04:37 PM
The idea in the beginning is interesting, but I think you brought it a bit too far. It just becomes too chaotic towards the end of the section. You're right in saying that it being different doesn't make it turd, but it doesn't necessarily make it great either.

The bars 33-44 are a decent passage to the next section. I think it could have something more to it though, perhaps. The progression in the section afterwards is a quite generic albeit effective progression. Since it's repeated so many times, I suggest you to add something that catches the attention of the listener. Most instruments there seem to play similar things, so perhaps add an instrument that instead of ascending, descends. It could be bass. There could be a solo over that progression. The song ends quite suddenly, but I'm sure you knew that.

Overall, the song could flow a little better. It feels a bit like you just threw ideas at it and glued them together. You did have a neat transition just before the Am - Bm - C - D progression. Try to do more of that. Also, while you found such a nice progression, don't overdo it and play it all over. Introduce other musical ideas as well or it can get boring.

I don't know for how long you've composed stuff so I might've been inapproriately blunt. If I sound like a dick, it's because I just mainly bring up things to work on. You already have a good foundation on songwriting, but to make great songs you ought to work on it, just write more songs.

STONESHAKER
09-25-2011, 04:49 PM
The transition from the first idea that is repeated later on in the song is too sudden for me. You spend a relatively long time building up that first idea you introduce and it is interesting, albeit a little strange, but I think that's the effect you were going for.

Second idea itself is okay, the strings are cool but in my opinion, two long build-ups in a row without any maintenance of that built up intensity doesn't flow very well. In general, I would find a progression that resolves that first idea you had someway and use that to build a transition from the end of the first idea into the beginning of the second idea. The rhythms will have a big influence on how smooth it transitions too.

C4C?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482562

frankibo
09-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm not saying anything about it being generic or not generic so I don't even know why you're bringing that up. All I'm saying was the beginning was awful. I love using dissonance in my music but this just sounded like random notes, it wasn't structure dissonance in any way. Just badly written music in my opinion.

I got some serious compliments from this song.

I will assume those people were brain damaged as well. Did you ask for C4C in the ICU after a ten car pile up you were involved in?