Octave Displacement Idea C4C

PDA

View Full Version : Octave Displacement Idea C4C

Geldin
09-29-2011, 11:00 PM
This is a patronizingly simple melody that I wrote to experiment with octave displacement. The two guitar parts were originally simply mirrors of one another, one simply shifted an octave up from the other. Then, I alternated displacing the octaves and shifted the two guitars to be in stereo, granting an interesting effect. The drums are just keeping a simple 4/4 rhythm with a little galloping to make things interesting.

Whaddya think?

As always, C4C

FrauVfromPoB
09-29-2011, 11:05 PM
I guess I don't really get what purpose this serves. It sounds fine, but why not just have the two guitars play the melody an octave apart? The same notes would be played, as far as I can tell. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Geldin
09-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Exactly. It's a really simple melody and they are indeed an octave apart. The important thing here is the technical aspect and the effect of the panned guitars with the displaced notes.

Life Is Brutal
09-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Exactly. It's a really simple melody and they are indeed an octave apart. The important thing here is the technical aspect and the effect of the panned guitars with the displaced notes.

The panning effect is the entire purpose of it, otherwise you could rewrite it in a much more simple manner.

That said, I think its a cool idea. :shrug:

Hail
09-30-2011, 03:01 PM
eh, buckethead's use was far more interesting. running a single guitar is really what makes octave displacement so fun

Geldin
09-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Cool. The idea just kind of popped into my head and I felt like I needed some practice with some more unusual tapping, anyway. I'm trying to think of a way I could incorporate this into a song, but I think that to get the neat panning effect to work better, I might have to slow the passage down.

DiminishedFifth
09-30-2011, 06:57 PM
First things first... it's not really octave displacement. Guthrie Govan's Waves' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhRN9CNmkqQ&feature=related) main melody is what octave displacement is. What you have is clever panning.

Having said that... I like the idea. It would probably be better with a better riff/melody. It's a good idea it just needs a stronger base! Definitely incorporate this into a song. What I like to do when I experiment with stuff like this is I have them both start at pan 0 then each of them move by 1 each direction (like, -1 and +1 and then -2 and +2) every beat and then back in once they each reach 8. It makes for an interesting effect, fo sho.

No need for a long C4C, but if you'd like to... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482496 :D

Geldin
10-01-2011, 12:59 AM
what then would qualify as octave displacement? Would that simply be placing a note in a given passage an octave higher or lower than it ought to be? Or is it something completely different? I assumed that it was a self-explanatory name.

DiminishedFifth
10-01-2011, 01:02 AM
what then would qualify as octave displacement? Would that simply be placing a note in a given passage an octave higher or lower than it ought to be? Or is it something completely different? I assumed that it was a self-explanatory name.
Octave Displacement would be like in that video: you play, for example, one or two notes in one octave and then one or two in the next one up or down. It's displacing the octave. You just have panning (albeit cool panning).

Geldin
10-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Awesome. I will definitely look into that.

I'll take a look at your song later today when I have time to give it justice. Your stuff is usually pretty interesting to listen to and I definitely want to see what you've concocted this time around.