Tell me what you think!

PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you think!

nathanwessel
11-19-2011, 02:56 AM
Hello team, just "finished" (I never finish a song) a new song that is completely out of my genre! I'm a metal-head and that's what I"m used to writing. My girlfriend happens to have a wonderful voice and she wants to start a paramore-pop-rock sort of deal. Who can say no to a significant other? Not I. Im willing to try it! Again, this isn't "complete"

Here are my questions to you.

Sweep fill at beginning- Necessary? (METAL)
Bass Lines- Complete Shit?
Bridge (will have lead solo soon) too dramatic shift?
Chorus melody too stand-outy?

Feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

Taclite
11-19-2011, 04:58 AM
.gpx is useless.

Erra93
11-19-2011, 11:04 AM
.gpx is useless.

QFT :|

MobiuZ
11-19-2011, 12:08 PM
hey man dont worry there are people here with guitar pro 6 , including me , why not everyone has made the transition is beyond my understanding since its a step up from gp 5 even if people think its not , it just takes some time to get used with it again since it is sorta different in a way.

anyway as for you song.

like the intro nice rhytm and lead , after that it flows and grooves wel , a few misses on the lead here and there but its ok , nice happy vibes coming from your song , not to complicated but varied enough to keep it interesting.

as for your questions :

answer : why the hell not , it doesnt matter its your style so stick with it if you like it , dont question it or overthink it to much

well . there is really not a lot of dynamics in your bass line , so it doesnt really add that extra layer but its not complete shit

yes , you should not let the ring from the lead guitar get over your bridge ( bar 67 right ? ) just make it a one note ring out instead of the 3 note ring out with makes it noisy and messy

your chorus is fine since your probably gonna have vocals over it wich will add more dynamics to it.

Can you crit the Holy Crusade gpx for me ? its in my sig

nathanwessel
11-19-2011, 01:22 PM
For the GP5 fellows I'll throw that one up. My apologies.
Thanks for the crit! I will take your advice and make some amends. Keep in mind this is my first work of this style :D

Mean Mr Mustard
11-20-2011, 12:48 AM
- No.

- Yeah, this riff doesn't really stand out to me. Sounds just a little boring to me.

- I'm not sure what part the bridge was, but there doesn't sound like a huge dramatic shift anywhere in here. If you're talking about bar 86, then it sounds fine. Personally, I wouldn't throw in a lead, I would just have the vocals take over in that part, give the song and the vocals a change in style.

- I thought the chorus was okay in this song. The octaves sounded good over the power chords, but wasn't really a fan of the lead part that came in afterwards.

Overall, listening to the GP5, some of the volume levels were off, but forgetting that, the song was decent. As a pop-punk type song, it's not what I would enjoy though, and I love the style. I think you need to simplify it a bit. Focus more on memorable chord progression with catchy phrases over top.

nathanwessel
11-20-2011, 02:55 PM
- No.

- Yeah, this riff doesn't really stand out to me. Sounds just a little boring to me.

- I'm not sure what part the bridge was, but there doesn't sound like a huge dramatic shift anywhere in here. If you're talking about bar 86, then it sounds fine. Personally, I wouldn't throw in a lead, I would just have the vocals take over in that part, give the song and the vocals a change in style.

- I thought the chorus was okay in this song. The octaves sounded good over the power chords, but wasn't really a fan of the lead part that came in afterwards.

Overall, listening to the GP5, some of the volume levels were off, but forgetting that, the song was decent. As a pop-punk type song, it's not what I would enjoy though, and I love the style. I think you need to simplify it a bit. Focus more on memorable chord progression with catchy phrases over top.

Thanks for the crit! I agree with a good part of what you said. I am not necessarily happy with the bass for the most part. And suggestions on how to liven it up?
Thanks!

Mean Mr Mustard
11-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the crit! I agree with a good part of what you said. I am not necessarily happy with the bass for the most part. And suggestions on how to liven it up?
Thanks!
Well in the verse that starts at bar 11, first of all, I think the picked bass sounds a bit better for pop-punk, since a dirty bass tone is kinda typical of that style. The first bars sound okay, but the second two bars, with those fifths in it as fills didn't sound right. Honestly, I would take that out and simplify it a bit. Ill show you what I mean.

From Your Grave
11-30-2011, 05:46 AM
I felt like the sweep fill was abrupt and unnecessary.

The bass line right after it is okay, but could definitely be better. I'm not sure exactly what would work with it, but I think it should be re-done. Especially because at bar 19, I feel like the bass line and the melody don't fit together.
Btw, is the melody right there supposed to be distorted/overdriven? I don't think it sounds very good like that, although it IS guitar pro so my opinion may be unfounded.

My first time listening through this I didn't notice the bridge but bars 28-49 are SOLID as well as 71-85. I really love that part. I'm assuming the bridge is at 86 in which case I agree with what Mean Mr Mustard said completely.

I'm really unsure about the melody that first appears from bars 19-26. The last measure doesn't fit as perfectly as another combination of notes could in my opinion. It also sounds really muddy at bars 61 and 62 with the rhythm and bass.

I see some real potential here though. It's reminding me heavily of Paramore, so I think you hit the mark there. I'd be interested to see where this goes.

EDIT: I want to mention that I think you could get away with just a typical bassguitarfollowingtherhythmexactly bass part.

EDITEDIT: I love Mr Mustard's edit on the bass line.