List of 8 String Bands

PDA

View Full Version : List of 8 String Bands

rongold360
11-26-2011, 10:58 PM
This is my list, and i believe its mostly right. I have always thoguht djent and hardcore go more hand in hand so i wasn't sure on where to post this, i might post it somewhere else as well. Tell me what you think. Comment. Add on.

Alright, this is pissin' me off. Ive been studying for the past couple of days about 8 strings and find theyre quite good and i plan on buying one soon, so i made a list of all the confirmed 8 string users. And some people need to quit being so ignorant as to think, "8 strings suck and 6 strings are cooler" because the 8th and 7th strings add more range and open more doors for musicians like myself. Check it:

Scale The Summit (One of the guitarists)
Animals As Leaders
Meshuggah
Periphery (rarely, mostly 6 but drop-tuned)
Whitechapel (Only two songs on "A New Era of Corruption")
Divine Heresy
GWAR
Ihsahn
Deftones (On album "Diamond Eyes", but Carpenter wrote it so all songs CAN be played on a seven string...sadly.)
Anchorhead
Fear Factory (4 songs on "Mechanize")
Scar Symmetry (New stuff)
Kieth Merrow
Terror House
Chimp Spanner
Tesseract
PDP (Sometimes even 9!)
War From A Harlots Mouth (New stuff)
All Shall Perish
The Acacia Strain
Vildhjarta
Volumes
Uneven Structure
RXYZYXR (Yes, thats the right name)
Monuments
Cry For Silence
Portals (Really unique and crazy)
Out World
The Special Purpose
Ion Dissonance (New stuff)
Rusty Cooley (Not anymore)
Brujeria
Fredrick Thordendales' Special Defects
Asesino
Muffgoat (HA!)
We Are The Illusion
Unearth (New)

Please tell me what you think, and tell me if im wrong. And tell me what i could add or change. Im planning on getting an 8 string so i made this so i can have some stuff to get into and learn once i aquire one.

nutinpwnsgibson
11-26-2011, 11:03 PM
as far as i know, none of the special defects songs use 8 string guitar

rongold360
11-26-2011, 11:24 PM
No, im pretty sure its 8. Its the same guy as Meshuggah.

nashawa
11-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Im planning on getting an 8 string.
Buy a bass instead.

rongold360
11-27-2011, 12:07 AM
as far as i know, none of the special defects songs use 8 string guitar
they do, trust me

Amuro Jay
11-27-2011, 12:11 AM
There's a djent thread in the Metal Forum. I see lots of deathcore and stuff that doesn't really have a place in this forum either. Not sure what to do about this.

GodofCheesecake
11-27-2011, 12:35 AM
No, im pretty sure its 8. Its the same guy as Meshuggah.they do, trust me
Did you answer the same post twice?

Magero
11-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Well, before it gets closed/moved/spammed to death....
No, im pretty sure its 8. Its the same guy as Meshuggah.
Yes, it is Fredrik from Meshuggah, but the Special Defects album was done when he was still using 7-strings. Feel free to youtube his medley performance of tracks from the album, on a 7-string, for proof.

Also, fairly certain TesseracT and Volumes both only use 7-strings, and I even though I know Misha has an 8 string, I don't believe any Periphery songs (aside from demos) have been done with the 8 yet.

BK202
11-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Guitars are for pussies.

DimebagLivesOn
11-27-2011, 01:16 AM
At least he became more confident in his answer.

synestershadows
11-27-2011, 02:13 AM
Guitars are for pussies.
Yeah! It's all about the sitar!

Dregen
11-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Buy a bass instead.

And limit yourself to just techniques that can be applied to bass? No, I'd rather have the best of both worlds.

Also, there is a tonality difference between a bass and an eight-string guitar.

*would get an 8-string if he could*

rongold360
11-27-2011, 02:25 AM
Yeah i thought it didnt go thru the first time so i was like **** it.

rongold360
11-27-2011, 02:27 AM
Well, before it gets closed/moved/spammed to death....

Yes, it is Fredrik from Meshuggah, but the Special Defects album was done when he was still using 7-strings. Feel free to youtube his medley performance of tracks from the album, on a 7-string, for proof.

Also, fairly certain TesseracT and Volumes both only use 7-strings, and I even though I know Misha has an 8 string, I don't believe any Periphery songs (aside from demos) have been done with the 8 yet.

Newer stuff has 8's. and Tesserect does use 8's. I forgot the song but i watched the vid on youtube. and Volumes i have been told uses 8's, it cant be confirmed or denied. ITs your word over theres. So ill look into it more. And Periphery is coming out with 2 albums in 2012, both confirmed to have atleast a little bit of 8's on them.

InstantAXonHero
11-27-2011, 08:40 AM
And limit yourself to just techniques that can be applied to bass? No, I'd rather have the best of both worlds.

You do realise everything you do on a guitar can be done on bass right? Plus bass has far superior natural harmonics.

No shit.

datskramzkid
11-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Is this really a thread abotu guitarists who have 8 string guitars? Really?

Christ, I used to think that 7 stringers were too much. It's only a matter of time until djent bands start using 9 string guitars to get rly l0w

MustangMan311
11-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Newer stuff has 8's. and Tesserect does use 8's. I forgot the song but i watched the vid on youtube. and Volumes i have been told uses 8's, it cant be confirmed or denied. ITs your word over theres. So ill look into it more. And Periphery is coming out with 2 albums in 2012, both confirmed to have atleast a little bit of 8's on them.
Cool, I think everyone knew that. Point is, the Special Defects record features 7 strings. Tesseract also uses 7 strings. Volumes uses 8 strings. Periphery doesn't have any tracks with 8 strings.

lookpizza
11-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Sooo I guess bands that use guitars with 8-strings just tend to suck then? All those bands suck.

synestershadows
11-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Sooo I guess bands that use guitars with 8-strings just tend to suck then? All those bands suck.
Except for Scale The Summit and Periphery and Animals As Leaders and Deftones and Ion Dissonance and We Are the Illusion and Unearth and All Shall Perish and Chimp Spanner and Keith Merrow and MESHUGGAH. But hey, that's my opinion.

Also, not sure if Cloudkicker uses 8s or not. He's amazing.

Also also, Unearth uses 7s. I've never seen them use 8s.

Also also also, Volumes uses 7s.

Also also also also, Solace (Karl Schubach of Misery Signals' solo project) uses 8s.

Also also also also also, this should be in the metal forum.

Annihilator666
11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
It's already in the metal forum in the 8 string thread (not sure why that thread exists).

I'm disappointed no one mentioned Danza, especially since Josh is one of the few guitarists who uses an 8 string for things other than playing Meshuggah riffs.

BK202
11-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Except for Deftones

Fix'd.

And even they're "meh".

synestershadows
11-27-2011, 06:18 PM
It's already in the metal forum in the 8 string thread (not sure why that thread exists).

I'm disappointed no one mentioned Danza, especially since Josh is one of the few guitarists who uses an 8 string for things other than playing Meshuggah riffs.
Fuck. Best 8 string band.

lookpizza
11-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Except for Scale The Summit and Periphery and Animals As Leaders and Deftones and Ion Dissonance and We Are the Illusion and Unearth and All Shall Perish and Chimp Spanner and Keith Merrow and MESHUGGAH. But hey, that's my opinion.

:mad:

synestershadows
11-27-2011, 07:56 PM
:heart:

TheReverend724
11-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Deftones are awesome

Dregen
11-27-2011, 09:17 PM
You do realise everything you do on a guitar can be done on bass right? Plus bass has far superior natural harmonics.

Uh, yeah. It's just that by comparison, it's way easier to do certain things on guitar compared to a bass (and vice versa). Pretty much the same reason someone with a bass would get a 6-string bass instead of a guitar.

No shit.

Well hey dude, he made the statement. I just responded with the obvious.

BenRaah
11-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Deftones are awesome

This.

That's all I have to add.

tancanada
11-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Animals As Leaders and Danza are the only bands worth mentioning who play 8's

nashawa
11-27-2011, 10:10 PM

*would get an 8-string if he could*
Spoken like someone who has never recorded with an 8 string.

Well hey dude, he made the statement. I just answered the obvious.
What did you answer? I never asked a question.

Dregen
11-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Spoken like someone who has never recorded with an 8 string.
I haven't, what about it?

What did you answer? I never asked a question.

Well, as long as you're being a smartass, I can edit my post if you want to argue semantics.

EDIT: done.

nashawa
11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
While it's possible for an 8 string guitar and a bass to have different tonalities (lol), Most of the time, the two clash heavily when recording and extreme amounts of EQing and tone changing have to be implemented solely for the purposes of not having your record sound like dog shit; so you have to take your pick: do you want to have a heavy guitar tone and let your bass tone sound similar to an autistic kick drum, or do you want to scoop the low end on your guitar and have a bass tone that doesn't sound robotic? If you chose the latter, then you've pretty much removed the frequency range you gained by going to 8 strings instead of just 6 or 7.

Dregen
11-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Okay, that's sounds legitimate I guess.

Magero
11-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Even as a dedicated worshipper at the altar of the 8-string, I agree with Nash. It's basically "Do you want to hear the bass guitar, or do you want to hear the 8-string?" 99% of the time. Aversions Crown's new album really rammed that home for me. As much as I dig it, there's zero bass definition, because all the 8-string riffs are taking up that frequency. It's heavy, but... not... "heavy", y'know?

Dregen
11-28-2011, 11:43 AM
I still think an eight string would open up possiblities for many more different kinds of riffs and leads. And if it's taking up those frequencies you can just ditch the bass.

phoenix_crush
11-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Is this really a thread abotu guitarists who have 8 string guitars? Really?

Christ, I used to think that 7 stringers were too much. It's only a matter of time until djent bands start using 9 string guitars to get rly l0w
Matt Pike has a 9-string. it's so ****ing cool. The top three strings are doubled like on a 12-string and the bottom three are normal.

datskramzkid
11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Matt Pike has a 9-string. it's so ****ing cool. The top three strings are doubled like on a 12-string and the bottom three are normal.
That's cool though. But you know that more strings will just mean a lower pedal tone.

I won't argue that more strings mean more tonal and musical options, but the constraints of a six string work well for innovation too. Kinda like how poets use sold structural constraints to get the best out of a little amount of writing, I think guitars work the same way.

synestershadows
11-28-2011, 03:50 PM
If I got an 8 string I would play Solace and Tony Danza type stuff.

lookpizza
11-28-2011, 04:07 PM
I play one of these http://www.projectsandhobbies.com/Washtub-Bass2.jpg

synestershadows
11-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Shit's tight. Is that a Schecter?

Amuro Jay
11-28-2011, 06:41 PM
:haha:

nashawa
11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
I still think an eight string would open up possiblities for many more different kinds of riffs and leads. And if it's taking up those frequencies you can just ditch the bass.
What? How? You don't actually have access to any different notes, just an octave that is already taken care of by other instruments in the band.

Dregen
11-28-2011, 07:27 PM
What? How? You don't actually have access to any different notes, just an octave that is already taken care of by other instruments in the band.

Look at a piano. It has many different octaves, and is a versatile instrument. An eight string illustrates a similar concept. Perhaps it's not good for usage in a band, but good probably for solo stuff, or perhaps maybe paired with a drummer.

InstantAXonHero
11-28-2011, 08:16 PM
And if it's taking up those frequencies you can just ditch the bass.

rongold360
11-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Cool, I think everyone knew that. Point is, the Special Defects record features 7 strings. Tesseract also uses 7 strings. Volumes uses 8 strings. Periphery doesn't have any tracks with 8 strings.
Alright, ill change Tesseract and Special Defects,. But i know demos and the new stuff coming out will have 8's on Periphery so im keeping it.

rongold360
11-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Also, not sure if Cloudkicker uses 8s or not. He's amazing.

Also also, Unearth uses 7s. I've never seen them use 8s.

Also also also, Volumes uses 7s.

Also also also also, Solace (Karl Schubach of Misery Signals' solo project) uses 8s.

Also also also also also, this should be in the metal forum.
I do know Cloudkicker, ill check into that, that guys awesome. and the new Unearth album, ive seen pictures of them wiht 8's live. And are you sure about Volumes? I read somewhere else theyve been working with 8's for the newer stuff. Ill add Solace, and its kinda late to repost :P

synestershadows
11-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Never seen Unearth with 8's. Same with Volumes, and I haven't heard of them using 8's either.

Magero
11-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Actually, come to think of it, I do know that Buzz owns an 8-string. I remember that Ibanez sent him one a year or two back, because I know I saw some random youtube video of him shredding on it. Definitely him, with his little monkey face. So, to be fair, that does give credit to it.

Munchlax
11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
After the burial

synestershadows
11-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Actually, come to think of it, I do know that Buzz owns an 8-string. I remember that Ibanez sent him one a year or two back, because I know I saw some random youtube video of him shredding on it. Definitely him, with his little monkey face. So, to be fair, that does give credit to it.
Oh yeah, I did see that video. But I don't know if Unearth uses them or not.

datskramzkid
11-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I play one of these http://www.projectsandhobbies.com/Washtub-Bass2.jpg

Also doubles as a bong.

TheBDanAbstract
11-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Never seen Unearth with 8's. Same with Volumes, and I haven't heard of them using 8's either.

I believe on their new album(I think it's called Darkness in the Light?) they used
primarily 8 strings.

I wouldn't know about Volumes. They're awful anyway. When Fearless Records presents their "Djent Goes Djeneric" cd, I suspect they'll be the first band on the tracklist.

I hated my 7.

All I wanted to do was chug.

Sold it for 2x what I paid for it.

#hustlerswag

Magero
11-29-2011, 01:17 AM
^Clearly just not worthy wielding the mighty power of the 7.

Morphogenesis26
11-29-2011, 01:29 AM
^Clearly just not worthy wielding the mighty power of the 7.

Aye, wise Australian man. Very wise. He is not fit to marvel in the extended range majesty. :o

synestershadows
11-29-2011, 01:42 AM
Yeah, it's obvious he just sucks at guitar. :haha:

Magero
11-29-2011, 01:46 AM
I never said that. I just said he clearly wasn't the kind of guy who would make use of a 7 properly, if all he found himself doing was chugging.

TheBDanAbstract
11-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Yeah, it's obvious he just sucks at guitar. :haha:

That I do. :(

I never said that. I just said he clearly wasn't the kind of guy who would make use of a 7 properly, if all he found himself doing was chugging.

Pretty much. I wrote a few cool riffs with it, but I just prefer standard, drop d, and standard D tunings. That, and I don't play much metal at all on guitar anymore. I mostly just dabble is various post-hardcore/pop-punk songs, play a lot of acoustic, and dick around with many scales and variations of the scale. Not as good as I once was.

synestershadows
11-29-2011, 01:58 AM
You implied it...dick.

Morphogenesis26
11-29-2011, 02:00 AM
You implied it...dick.

Looked more like a joke to me.

synestershadows
11-29-2011, 02:15 AM
Looked more like a joke to me.
Shut your whore mouth.

phoenix_crush
11-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Is it weird that I knew you were going to post exactly this in response to that?

tancanada
11-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't see what the argument against 8-strings is about, Danza has a unique (and really crisp) sound that wouldn't be the same if they didn't play in Drop E.

Morphogenesis26
11-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Shut your whore mouth.

Least my name is prettier than your name so there. :o

Dregen
11-29-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't see what the argument against 8-strings is about, Danza has a unique (and really crisp) sound that wouldn't be the same if they didn't play in Drop E.

:shrug:

nashawa
11-30-2011, 12:39 AM
And their bass tone sounds like two robots with cerebral palsy trying to carry a piano up a flight of stairs.

synestershadows
11-30-2011, 12:59 AM
And their bass tone sounds like two robots with cerebral palsy trying to carry a piano up a flight of stairs.
Imagining this is sorta funny, but I don't understand the analogy.

nashawa
11-30-2011, 01:05 AM
They have the cleanest, most robotic sounding distortion on their bass, and it's somehow unbelievably muddy at points too (as well as having no low end). I totally give props to the engineer though because I feel like it's literally the best tone you can hope to achieve for bass in a band where the 8-string is king. Incidentally, that's why I'm not a fan of 8s.

synestershadows
11-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Didn't Travis engineer it? Danza III that is...

nashawa
11-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Travis who?

MustangMan311
11-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Their guitarist. Not sure what role he played. I think Danza III has pretty weak production on the low end. I feel like if it had Weightless production it'd be twice as good.

nashawa
11-30-2011, 01:26 AM
I think Danza III has pretty weak production on the low end.
In the sense that it doesn't actually exist. So glad someone else feels this way too.

synestershadows
11-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Josh Travis I mean...the guitarist.

JamesWojak
11-30-2011, 03:10 AM
Karl Schubach of misery signals has an 8-string side project called Solace,
its all just a studio project, but great nonetheless.

synestershadows
11-30-2011, 04:18 AM
Karl Schubach of misery signals has an 8-string side project called Solace,
its all just a studio project, but great nonetheless.
lol i mentioned it on the first page.

JamesWojak
11-30-2011, 04:28 AM
lol i mentioned it on the first page.
So much for original posts tonight. haha

phoenix_crush
11-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Imagining this is sorta funny, but I don't understand the analogy.
Exactly my thoughts haha

tancanada
11-30-2011, 07:37 PM
It may not have low end but honestly, once you tune that low I don't think bands are trying to shoot for monster low end. Meshuggah's production has a pretty weak low end too.

MustangMan311
11-30-2011, 07:49 PM
My point is that the production of that area should be a lot better. Animals as Leaders, Meshuggah, and Molotov Solution all sound great in that area.

nashawa
12-01-2011, 12:09 AM
once you tune that low I don't think bands are trying to shoot for monster low end.
wat.

TheBDanAbstract
12-01-2011, 01:11 AM
I like Dean from The Human Abstracts 8 string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKTshruJ21k

synestershadows
12-01-2011, 02:39 AM

Well it's a 6 string haha. I guess this shows a lot of 8 string bands can actually just use 6 strings. :haha:

Morphogenesis26
12-01-2011, 02:43 AM

That does not sound like a proper 8 String to me! :mad: Sounds like...whores.

TheBDanAbstract
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
That does not sound like a proper 8 String to me! :mad: Sounds like...whores.

Don't you hate when your gear stars sounding like whores?

tancanada
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM
wat.

I dunno how to describe it. I like the crisp chugs that Danza has but the lack of actual 'mass' that the guitar should have doesn't annoy me because of it.

I hope that makes sense :s

Morphogenesis26
12-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Don't you hate when your gear stars sounding like whores?
I shall further my statement with an analogy.

You have sex with someone you care about a lot and you have sex with a prostitute or whore. The latter are doing it for cheap, easy, pleasure while the former is doing it because of their feelings.

When your guitar sounds like your lover, you are hearing truth. When your guitar sounds like a whore, you are hearing a cheap knock off of the real thing.

:o

Dregen
12-01-2011, 06:46 PM

That actually surprised me.

DamonA7xBoyle
12-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Meshuggah

ChemicalFire
12-13-2013, 04:55 PM
^Totes worth bumping this thread for that ;)

Morphogenesis26
12-13-2013, 05:38 PM
muh shuggguhhh da brooootz 54/134cubed time sugnuture 4rever

ChemicalFire
12-13-2013, 05:41 PM
It took me 3 albums to get into Meshuggah. I don't know if that says more about the band than me?

synestershadows
12-13-2013, 09:44 PM
I love Nothing and ObZen, but Koloss was boring as ****.

ChemicalFire
12-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Koloss was the first one I actually got. Demiurge has some killer riffs.