Instumental-Folky-Piratey-Metal (GP5, C4C)

PDA

View Full Version : Instumental-Folky-Piratey-Metal (GP5, C4C)

MetalCommand
11-30-2011, 09:12 PM
UPDATE:

I've recorded it now, thanks for the crits in this thread.
YouTube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywJla8GXMQU)

kcorkcar
12-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Well Shiver me Timbers and buckle me buckles, Pass me a bottle of rum and call me Moby Dick because THAR SHE BLOWS! This song is very enjoyable to listen to and transitions very smoothly. I have no problems with this to be honest.
Very solid.

:)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500691

touke
12-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks for your crit

The intro is well balanced, nothing wrong here and it's very catchy. Especially liking the acoustic part, this is awesome. "Theme" is really cool.

The Guitar solo section is okay, I think you can make it more effective if you didn't hit some of the same notes so many times. Maybe bring it down to the lower notes quicker than you did.

Nice violin part, when the guitars come in it sounds awesome. The "change" isn't much of a change, but it's still cool. You should imo change the key somewhere in that change though. It honestly gets a little boring hearing it the way it is.

It ends well actually, cool that the theme is the last riff. Overall I got into this, I'd like to hear a recording

KirkChicoHammet
12-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Aye, mate! xD
Well, that's something nice, it kind of reminded me of Alestorm(only listened to a few songs from them) and Running Wild, which call themselves "Pirate Metal" :D

And for the crit -
Intro - No calm parts, no calm leads, just the roaring seas and the sound of the mighty kraken approaching :D
But I think that the change to the acoustic guitar in bars 25-26 was a bit sudden, because the violin kept going, anyway, I'm used to it already, but sometimes it sounds a bit strange.
Great intro.

Theme - This is really cool mate :D, I love it. And the guitar solo after is neat, no mindless shredding, it flows very well.

Violin part - And we're approaching land! :D Nice melodies. When the band kick backs in, I think it's already time you did some variations on the guitar riffs. They are good, but they don't change much.

Guitars in - The mighty sea monster is getting closer xD. Great leads :)

Violin/Guitar Battle - And the fight begins! This epic tale will be remembered till' the end of times as the battle that was taken place at the seas, and the brave pirates engaged in a fierce battle against the kraken :D

As you can see, I got a bit carried away here. Anyway, I love guitar/any other instruments duels xD, and then the theme come back and I was feeling like a pirate.

Overall, Great song, just need some changes on the guitar riffs, they never actually change much.

HaydenHohns
12-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Do you listen to Alestorm by any chance? This is hilariously enjoyable.

Intro: Nothing necessarily wrong but it might benefit from a few more ornaments or dynamics. You could add accents (>) to the snare hits on the kit and use legato (Button next to the bend) on the scalar parts on the violin melodies. No complaints really, just ideas.

Theme: Instead of having it repeat four times, you could double it, repeat twice (So it's still played the same amount) and add a flute harmony to the melody. Musical development is the key to making great music into excellent music. You could modulate it (Key signature or modally), vary the rhythms, the list goes on.

Guitar Solo: This, personally, is where the 'jig' rhythms in the solo should stop. This is where you let go of all restraints and go ballistic with the Pentatonic and Aeolian mode. Listen to Over The Seas/Captain Morgan's Revenge by Alestorm and you'll get the picture. Maybe add in some tapping similar to Michael Romeo from Symphony X. You could also modulate the key signature to add suspense and tension.

Violin Part: A welcome change of timbre. Staccato ornamentations were very well placed. You could add a fill (Toms) or crescendo (Snare) before the repeat (Bar 104) on the Percussion because it's a little dull (The percussion that is).

Change: I liked the transition at 119-120. Again, I think you should add some fills in the percussion as the person playing this for you (If you intend to play it live with other musicians) will hate you for writing a boring part. Just download some GP5 files here of your favourite bands and imitate their fills (Obviously add a little variation).

Guitars In: I really enjoyed the counter-melody starting at bar 139. It really shows what a high-caliber composer you are. Keep doing that. I'd change some of the fingering positions though to make it more comfortable.

Violin/Guitar Battle: OK you really need to start shredding here! First couple trade-offs are fine but if you want a really big impact on the listener you need to take it up a notch. that said, I really liked the climax at bar 184.

Theme: Nice way to wrap up the piece.

Overall it's a pretty good piece but if you sand out the rough edges you'll have a really awesome piece of music. Thanks for the crit BTW.

Ravnica01
12-03-2011, 07:29 AM
well, im not gonna go in depth on what i think of it......but seriously, you just won the game

Emperor's Child
12-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Sorry for the late crit, didn't realise my song was still being listened to! First thing imma say is that I like rum. Second thing imma say is that this aint to shabby either. Choosing 3/4 for pirate music is pretty standard, it was pretty interesting although not somenthing I would normally listen to (not a pirate).

I like the themes you included with all (or most of) the instruments but whilst I'm all up for violin breakdowns, it felt like it wasn't quite right - maybe try some of things said above. Would like to hear how it sounds recorded when you get round to that...

xbitmetal
12-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Just 5/5 from theme :D!

Very powerfull and fast intro. I can really feel pirates in this song. "Theme" part is cool and guitar solo is ok.

Violin part sounds like cool, but the transition happened pretty fast. You could have saved that part for a bit later in my opinion, but it is good as it is anyway.

After "Change" It still remains pretty same. Guitar + Violin combo is cool.

5/5 From theme

Only sad thing was too little changes and short timing. 3/5

Of_Wolves
12-04-2011, 01:41 PM
My main worry is that the violin parts from the intro may be a tad difficult to play.. but hardly anyone has the kind of chops some of the great folk fiddlers have. I myself play the viola, and have done for a number of years in various orchestras and such and I know plenty of Violinists who would absolutely hate your guts for giving them stuff that high and fast to play. lol

Of course that issue pales in comparison to how much fun this song is. Very Alestorm, very piratey, very folk metal. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

You may want to think about using the four string violin tunings in guitar pro, and working through the piece with some notation of the instruments typical playable range. I'm not saying you've gotten out of it (virtuosos would have no problem) and I'm not saying you should tone it down AT ALL, I just think it might be worth checking through, making sure everything is all hunky-dory, before calling this finished.

A couple of transitions could have been smoother, and some note may have been a tad superfluous in places, but its nothing that isn't a major part of the genre, and you've probably caught all issues already and fixed them to your own tastes. After all this is your piece not ours ;)

If you have the time:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501334

xbitmetal
12-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Many folk metal bands play violins and other orchesteral instruments with synths or just make with computer.

Of_Wolves
12-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Many folk metal bands play violins and other orchesteral instruments with synths or just make with computer.

While true, thats a huge cop out in my book :haha:

MetalCommand
12-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the crits so far, I'll address a few points.

Do you listen to Alestorm by any chance? This is hilariously enjoyable.
Arrrrr, yes I do :D

Intro: Nothing necessarily wrong but it might benefit from a few more ornaments or dynamics. You could add accents (>) to the snare hits on the kit and use legato (Button next to the bend) on the scalar parts on the violin melodies. No complaints really, just ideas.

Very good point, just wrote the intro kinda quickly, and copy/pasted the drums so I should go back have a look at that. Attention to detail is what it's all about!

Theme: Instead of having it repeat four times, you could double it, repeat twice (So it's still played the same amount) and add a flute harmony to the melody. Musical development is the key to making great music into excellent music. You could modulate it (Key signature or modally), vary the rhythms, the list goes on.

Good point again, might be good to add a couple of little variations, without completely changing it.

Violin Part: A welcome change of timbre. Staccato ornamentations were very well placed. You could add a fill (Toms) or crescendo (Snare) before the repeat (Bar 104) on the Percussion because it's a little dull (The percussion that is).
Change: I liked the transition at 119-120. Again, I think you should add some fills in the percussion as the person playing this for you (If you intend to play it live with other musicians) will hate you for writing a boring part. Just download some GP5 files here of your favourite bands and imitate their fills (Obviously add a little variation).

Yeah I think I've been bit lazy with the drums all over, definitely gonna vary it up a bit. No plans to play live atm, but it's no reason not have good drum parts when I record it.

My main worry is that the violin parts from the intro may be a tad difficult to play..
You may want to think about using the four string violin tunings in guitar pro, and working through the piece with some notation of the instruments typical playable range. I'm not saying you've gotten out of it (virtuosos would have no problem) and I'm not saying you should tone it down AT ALL, I just think it might be worth checking through, making sure everything is all hunky-dory, before calling this finished.

Heh actually I'm planning to record using a VSTi (Kontakt 5) for the violin parts. However, thanks for pointing that out anyway, I might have more of a think about that stuff, will probably come in useful in the future.

Anyway, I'm gonna have a look at it again, improve a few parts then get it recorded. I'll post an update in this thread when I have. More crits welcome in the meantime of course though.

MetalCommand
12-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Right everyone, thanks for the all the crits in this thread, it's recorded now, here's the youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywJla8GXMQU) .

Taclite
01-01-2012, 02:35 PM
****ing great

touke
01-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Great!

Semola94
01-02-2012, 05:00 AM
Really great song, love the theme :)