Biggest Disappointments/Worst Albums of 2011

PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Disappointments/Worst Albums of 2011

ChemicalFire
01-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Just out of curiosity really, what where the worst albums of 2011? What albums were you hoping to be good but sucked major ass?

Biggest disappointments for me

Decapitated's Carnival is Forever
All Shall Perish's This is Where it Ends
Architects' The Here and Now

stonyman65
01-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Megadeth's Thirteen
Steel Panther's Balls Out (still good, but not nearly as good as Feel The Steel)

Honestly, those are the only albums from 2011 that I have actually listened too. Haven't heard the new Dream Theater stuff, but I hated Black Clouds.

notaspy2009
01-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Lulu, nuff said

guitar_rules311
01-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Megadeth's Thirteen
Steel Panther's Balls Out (still good, but not nearly as good as Feel The Steel)

Honestly, those are the only albums from 2011 that I have actually listened too. Haven't heard the new Dream Theater stuff, but I hated Black Clouds.
None of those fit in the Hardcore forum though.

EndTheRapture51
01-04-2012, 01:35 PM
I didn't think The Here And Now by Architects was a bad album.

It was just disappointing, especially after Hollow Crown.

All they needed was Hollow Crown with more melody and singing. They however took Hollow Crown, softened it up a bit and added a generic song structure ( verse-chorus-verse-chorus-breakdown-chorus).

synestershadows
01-04-2012, 07:19 PM
I didn't think The Here And Now by Architects was a bad album.

It was just disappointing, especially after Hollow Crown.

All they needed was Hollow Crown with more melody and singing. They however took Hollow Crown, softened it up a bit and added a generic song structure ( verse-chorus-verse-chorus-breakdown-chorus).
*looks at thread title*

What?

tancanada
01-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Downtown Battle Mountain II pissed me off, they really put no energy into trying to make it decent. Other than that I can't think of anything too much

blake1221
01-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Well after Happiness, anything was likely to be a let down.

Unless they put out something on par with DTBM.

Swagasaurous
01-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Well after Happiness, anything was likely to be a let down.

Unless they put out something on par with DTBM.

I hated Happiness o_0

due 07
01-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Defeater, I just don't like the band y'know? The new album wasn't "bad," I just don't get the hype.

Also, http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/due+07/blog/100056/

InstantAXonHero
01-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm glad I don't listen to such terrible bands as mentioned above, as I was not disappointed with a single album or song from any of the bands I like that put our material this year.

blake1221
01-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I hated Happiness o_0

Which is another reason why I flat out don't like you.

Magero
01-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Architects - The Here and Now
Definitely. 100% backed.
Also the new Volumes and new Structures. I wasn't expecting too much, but they still managed to miss the mark by a mile and a half.

Geldin
01-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Structures for sure, and I was a bit disappointed with Digital Veil. The album I was most disappointed with, however, was Scurrilous. I liked it, but it really is just Luke tapping at 150bpm over simple syncopated riffs more than anything else. It's a decent album, but Protest the Hero hadn't settled for 'decent' before.

Morphogenesis26
01-04-2012, 11:33 PM
^That. I've never been big on THA so I can't comment, but if any album dissapointed me it was Scurrilous for the reasons Geldin stated.

Magero
01-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Structures for sure, and I was a bit disappointed with Digital Veil. The album I was most disappointed with, however, was Scurrilous. I liked it, but it really is just Luke tapping at 150bpm over simple syncopated riffs more than anything else. It's a decent album, but Protest the Hero hadn't settled for 'decent' before.
Can't believe I forgot about Scurrilous. Had my hopes so high and had them all dashed so brutally by that bastard of an album.

tancanada
01-05-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm glad I don't listen to such terrible bands as mentioned above, as I was not disappointed with a single album or song from any of the bands I like that put our material this year.

Shut up.

Also forgot about Structures. New AAL didn't do much for me either :(

Magero
01-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Really? I thought, as bad as some of the transitions were, Weightless was a great release. Good direction for them to head towards instead of just sticking with the same ol' "acoustic part, NOW SHRED, NOW MESHUGGAH RIFF, NOWWW more acoustic...NOW MORE SHRED, OVER MESHUGGAH RIFF" stuff that the first album was. Didn't impress me AS much as the first album, but still....

MustangMan311
01-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Protest the Hero
Stray From the Path
Trap Them
Job for a Cowboy
Defeater
Cynic
Common
Born of Osiris
Backtrack
All Shall Perish

Magero
01-05-2012, 12:22 AM
How the hell was Darker Handcraft a disappointment?!

Morphogenesis26
01-05-2012, 12:31 AM
I forgot Cynic. It just wasn't what I was hoping for.

Geldin
01-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I disagree on Born of Osiris. I felt like they did a much better job this time around integrating the keyboards into their music. They went a little (ok, a lot) heavy on the djent influence, but The Discovery beat out A Higher Place.

I'll chuck in Cynic in agreement with MustangMan. It felt a lot more like an Aeon Spoke record than Cynic.

ChemicalFire
01-05-2012, 12:33 AM
I also liked the new BoO but that might just be cuz they ditched that terrible production style.

Magero
01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Yeah, also a big fan of the new BoO, but I'm still more concerned about Cody being disappointed in Trap Them's new album, so all of you shush until he comes back.

ChemicalFire
01-05-2012, 12:48 AM
It is an amazing album; love it for the guitar tone if nothing else.

GodofCheesecake
01-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Did In Dreams come out in 2011?

TheBDanAbstract
01-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Can't believe I forgot about Scurrilous. Had my hopes so high and had them all dashed so brutally by that bastard of an album.

This and this exactly. Still like the album, but Fortress and Kezia are masterpieces, and Scurrilous is just the album you listen to once every few months.

Job for a Cowboy

Can't believe you expected anything more than a cliche in death metal form. That's all JFAC has been since Doom.

Extremely disappointing in Cynic's EP.

The Spoon
01-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Not sure, but it was bad enough to make my list two years in a row if it wasn't.

I was disappointed with The Human Abstract, and Protest the Hero. Maybe BTBAM, but I thought the EP was good, I just might be tired of them.

llanafreak44
01-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Born of Osiris: 15 songs, seriously guys? It could have been condensed to 8 and it still would have been an extremely boring album. Plus, the guys voice sounds god awful now, it's like he's doing a really deep belch.

Animals As Leaders: They didn't sound like songs to me. As little as I like Periphery, they should have gone back to Misha.

Past that I don't think I even bothered listening to any 2011 albums, none seemed appealing to me.

Swagasaurous
01-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Which is another reason why I flat out don't like you.

Why? Haha I think I'm entitled to my opinion.

MustangMan311
01-05-2012, 01:29 AM
How the hell was Darker Handcraft a disappointment?!
I just can't get into it like the other albums. Just something about it doesn't mesh with me, I dunno.

And fuck 15 songs on The Discovery, nine would have sufficed. The structure of the songs also felt too verse / chorus-y to me, unlike the first two albums.

synestershadows
01-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Architects (Biggest disappointment ever)
The Human Abstract
Animals as Leaders
New Balance and Composure was good, but it definitely wasn't on par with their previous stuff.
Structures (Mostly because of the bad production, poppy sections, and Frankie's guest spot. It was also extremely heavy. Like retarded heavy. All of the Above was more about the technicality and really didn't care as much about heaviness.)
Ever Forthright (it was just really meh. nothing spectacular.)

I think it was 2010, but goddammit, it was sooooo bad.

Horribad
01-05-2012, 03:58 AM
Stray From the Path

I'm so glad this was mentioned. I absolutely loved villians and (to a lesser extent) make your own history, but rising sun was shithouse. I've tried to get into it many times, but it's just.. ugh. Endless breakdowns which serve no real purpose, and a distinct lack of riffage.

As for Structures, i actually really liked their latest. And i don't see what the big deal about the production of the album is.

synestershadows
01-05-2012, 04:27 AM
I'm so glad this was mentioned. I absolutely loved villians and (to a lesser extent) make your own history, but rising sun was shithouse. I've tried to get into it many times, but it's just.. ugh. Endless breakdowns which serve no real purpose, and a distinct lack of riffage.

As for Structures, i actually really liked their latest. And i don't see what the big deal about the production of the album is.
Villains is pretty lame, haha. Make Your Own History is amazing though. That will always be their best album. I like Rising Sun, it's definitely a grower.

As for the production on Structures' new album, don't you hear all that clipping? It's sooooo annoying.

Horribad
01-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Ahh well, i'm not very picky with production, so i guess i wouldn't notice the little things. though having said that i can't stand production that sounds like everything else. I'm positive there's a lot of good music buried in my library that i haven't bothered with due to shit boring mixing.

But dude, why does everyone dislike villians?! It's so vicious and spastically awesome. Riffs are 1000 times better than the ones on RS.

Magero
01-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Rising Sun has Centre of Attention. Therefore it was still a better album than 99% of the things that came out this year.

Make Your Own History is still their best work, IMO, but I really felt Rising Sun crept up on me. At first all I really liked was Madgirl, Rising Sun and bits and pieces from the middle tracks, but then all of a sudden someone asked me to name the best tracks from it and I couldn't help but name 3/4 of the album. Centre of Attention, The Laughing Man, The Escape Artist and Crashing Down are all fantastic as one big outro to the album, and Bring It Back To The Streets + iMember are just sweeeet... I dunno, dude, it just APPEARED in my favourites list really. Production helps. Heavy as an elephant in a concrete mixer.

cliff_em_all
01-05-2012, 09:17 AM
World Record.

InstantAXonHero
01-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Shut up.

Says the bull.

MustangMan311
01-05-2012, 01:46 PM

I mean, I definitely enjoy the album, but it wasn't what I expected. I loved MYOH, but Rising Sun less so. Bring it Back to the Streets is still the jam, though.

blake1221
01-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Bring It Back to the Streets gives me way too much of a '90s rap video vibe.

I can't take it seriously.

NegiTom
01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Defeater
Touche Amore
Don't even know if La Dispute did anything this year but if they did I hate them and it with all my heart.

datskramzkid
01-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Defeater
Touche Amore
Don't even know if La Dispute did anything this year but if they did I hate them and it with all my heart.
So they didn't disappoint you?

asator
01-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Defeater
Touche Amore
:haha:

test1cles
01-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
All Shall Perish - This is Where It Ends
The Human Abstract - Digital Veil
Here Comes the Kraken - Hate, Greed and Death

And I was pretty disappointed by Måsstaden by Vildhjarta, though it was one of my favorites of 2011 too.

synestershadows
01-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Oh yeah, Touche Amore's new album was ****in lame.
I also forgot about Protest the Hero.

datskramzkid
01-06-2012, 12:33 AM
What's weird is how lately, I've been hearing how bad Touché's new album was, while I distinctly remember hearing how awesome it was back when it dropped. I'm really over that type of music (Except live), but Parting The Sea is definitely on par with To The Beat of A Dead Horse.

Or at least, I'd like to know why people don't like it.

synestershadows
01-06-2012, 12:37 AM
PTSBBAM was so boring.

datskramzkid
01-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Not more boring than TTBOADH

Also, why no more TPS Pandy?

synestershadows
01-06-2012, 12:59 AM
I go on there occasionally. If there was more interesting shit going on I would post more.

asator
01-06-2012, 03:37 AM
I thought Parting the Sea was a really solid melodic hardcore record. I mean it's no "Witness", but I definitely like it. They're another band that have been ruined by hype, but both their records have been great.

Read the lyrics along with it - those are the best part for me.

zezimathehero
01-06-2012, 05:11 AM
I still really like Parting the sea, mostly because the lyrics are quite good, and as a sum of its parts I think its generally interesting as well as well executed. To be a dick, I think guys like pandy hate it because so much of the internet loves it.

Kyle<3
01-06-2012, 09:36 AM
... but I thought you guys were the hipsters. Now Andrew is the hipster?

ARE WE ALL HIPSTERS?

Magero
01-06-2012, 09:42 AM
No, none of you are.

But I wasn't a hipster before all of you, anyway, so it doesn't matter.

datskramzkid
01-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I find the lyrics to TA the worst part. I find like every line is meant to be a teenager's facebook status.

No knock on Jeremy, because he's one of the nicest people I've ever met, but the lyrics are cringeworthy to me more than once.

blake1221
01-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Blake Ryan Trevino
If actions speak louder than words, than I'm the most deafening noise you've heard.
Like • Comment • Two minutes ago via mobile.

Kyle<3
01-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Nice haha.

synestershadows
01-07-2012, 12:22 AM
I still really like Parting the sea, mostly because the lyrics are quite good, and as a sum of its parts I think its generally interesting as well as well executed. To be a dick, I think guys like pandy hate it because so much of the internet loves it.
No, it's fucking boring, that's why.

due 07
01-07-2012, 12:26 AM
I like TA's cheesy lyrics. I think they're cute. :3

Pat_s1t
01-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Scurrilous was the musical letdown of the year for me. It's not really bad, but I was expecting something serious, technical and complex from Protest, especially considering the mood and lyrics for the previous two albums.

Rody should not be allowed to write lyrics (for the most part, the lyrics Rody wrote for Termites were quite good though). I really, really hope they go back to more abstract/impersonal lyrics, more of Rody's harsher vocals, and linear songwriting on the next album.

Tigar
01-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Can't believe no one has said it yet, but I absolutely hate August Burns Red's Leveler, it was just terrible to me. Only song I like off of there is Pangaea.

Counterparts The Current Will Carry Us, it wasn't bad but they are a totally different band compared to prophets which I really liked.

New Structures wasn't bad for me, I like it.

Texas in July One Reality, too boring for me.

phoenix_crush
01-10-2012, 10:38 AM
:five:

nashawa
01-10-2012, 02:04 PM
It's not even elitist to say that haha. I also was genuinely happy with every release I was looking forward to.

Maybe peeps should stop liking mediocre music if ya don't want to be let down, hmm?

datskramzkid
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't think I was disappointed looking back.
I'm not into Defeater's new jam as much as I was when it came out, but that's more due to changing preferences rather than the album being bad.

synestershadows
01-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Can't believe no one has said it yet, but I absolutely hate August Burns Red's Leveler, it was just terrible to me. Only song I like off of there is Pangaea.

Counterparts The Current Will Carry Us, it wasn't bad but they are a totally different band compared to prophets which I really liked.

New Structures wasn't bad for me, I like it.

Texas in July One Reality, too boring for me.
I wasn't really anticipating the new ABR album since I figured it would be Constellations 2.0 which was one of the biggest disappointments ever.

I really liked Counterparts' new album.

I agree with Structures. That's my number one car jam right now. Sounds soooo good with a nice sound system.

And Texas In July...let's keep them out of this. Another ABR clone that should die.

08L1V10N
01-10-2012, 05:06 PM
состояние птиц on the Heart on My Sleeve split recorded a black-metallish song, so that was an instant disappointment

Amuro Jay
01-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I thought Parting the Sea was a really solid melodic hardcore record. I mean it's no "Witness", but I definitely like it. They're another band that have been ruined by hype, but both their records have been great.

Read the lyrics along with it - those are the best part for me.This is why I keep to a few sites, so hype won't bother me.

I've never had a band ruined by hype.I don't think I was disappointed looking back.
I'm not into Defeater's new jam as much as I was when it came out, but that's more due to changing preferences rather than the album being bad.This is far more logical than everyone saying "nope i was wrong when i said i liked it it sucks"

deadramones
01-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Hmmmm, im fairly easy to please, but the only record i can think of that came out in 2011 that dissapointed me was the latest Protest The Hero. and i just cant click with Make Do and Mend's new album either. which is a shame because i really love every other band in 'the wave'

GodofCheesecake
01-19-2012, 12:39 PM
It's not even elitist to say that haha. I also was genuinely happy with every release I was looking forward to.

Maybe peeps should stop liking mediocre music if ya don't want to be let down, hmm?
This is a really dumb statement.

phoenix_crush
01-19-2012, 12:45 PM
It's clearly tongue-in-cheek, but notice most, if not all, of the albums mentioned here that everyone agrees were disappointing, were by mediocre bands?

nashawa
01-19-2012, 12:48 PM
This is a really dumb statement.

Sorry you feel that way, champ.

I think someone should reread the thread and get back to me.

EDIT: Thommyboy gets it.

Amuro Jay
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
All bands suck by default. It's only when they release something good that they don't.

There.

nashawa
01-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I guess that sort of makes sense actually haha. Dunno why that was relevant, but yerr.

GodofCheesecake
01-19-2012, 01:11 PM
It's clearly tongue-in-cheek, but notice most, if not all, of the albums mentioned here that everyone agrees were disappointing, were by mediocre bands?
Objectively, no. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most bands in this thread were listed en masse by users whose musical tastes I don't share, so I would probably find the vast majority of those choices pretty mediocre.

EDIT: Actually I'm confusing this thread with the "best albums of 2011" thread, but either way that was a pretty dumb statement to make.

nashawa
01-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Well none of the bands I like put out disappointing albums this year, so it sucks to be everyone else. Dumb statement or not (not), I've got nothing to complain about.

Amuro Jay
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
The only bands I was disappointed with were the ones I didn't really like that much anyway, like PTH, THA, and Architects.

So I'm pretty much all for all as well.

Damn it feels good to be content with everything.

nashawa
01-19-2012, 01:25 PM
:five:

due 07
01-19-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm disappointed I'll probably not get to see The Promise Ring. ;_;

kinggward
01-24-2012, 01:23 PM
The anthology I was a lot of aghast with, however, was Scurrilous. I admired it, but it absolutely is just Luke borer at 150bpm over simple syncopated riffs added than annihilation else. It's a appropriate album, but Protest the Hero hadn't acclimatized for 'decent' before.

phoenix_crush
01-24-2012, 01:45 PM
The bots are becoming smarter...

synestershadows
01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
The anthology I was a lot of aghast with, however, was Scurrilous. I admired it, but it absolutely is just Luke borer at 150bpm over simple syncopated riffs added than annihilation else. It's a appropriate album, but Protest the Hero hadn't acclimatized for 'decent' before.
...lolwut.

Magero
01-25-2012, 04:56 AM
I think it's trying to sell us anthologies. RUN. IT'S TRYING TO LEARN.

realityunfolds
01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Trapped Under Ice's "Big Kiss Goodnight"; so disappointing, it just isn't gritty enough, sounds way too overproduced and you can tell by vocals that it's been overproudced.

The guitar tone lacks a lot of punch and it's too quiet.
Not a fan of this album; Demo/Stay Cold/Secrets of the World killed it, hopefully they come back with a better EP/Full length next time.

Just generally meh.

ThrashKing
01-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Revocations Chaos of Forms.
It had 2 really good songs, No Funeral and the 12th track (cant remember the name) and the rest were pretty forgettable

asator
02-05-2012, 11:38 AM
The biggest disapointment was the album sounds of playground by In Flames especially if you bought the editon with the dvd ... it wa s their worst album so far
How is that relevant to this forum?

principle hero
02-06-2012, 02:05 PM
not again wtf this is not the forum i want to post that

blake1221
02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Make sure you're in the Metal forum :haha:

Edit post (bottom right of your post) > delete post > physically remove message.

InstantAXonHero
02-06-2012, 07:49 PM
not again wtf this is not the forum i want to post that

Oh man, good trolling, very good trolling.