Obey the Brave (ft. Alex Erian of Despised Icon)

PDA

View Full Version : Obey the Brave (ft. Alex Erian of Despised Icon)

Amuro Jay
01-18-2012, 02:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUU3inOiNRU

Sounds like that whole "melodic hardcore meets TGI" sort of things that a lot of bands are doing with the positive lyrics thing.

It's the new band of Alex Erian from Despised Icon. I'm actually really stoked to see this come to fruition because on DI's farewell tour Alex said he wanted to start a hardcore band, and, well, here it is.

Alex is also just a really fucking nice dude. One of the nicest guys I've met at a show.

His vocals still sound way too tough for the style of music though :haha: and the guitar tone sounds too metal. But hey, I'm still gonna keep an eye out for it.

blake1221
01-18-2012, 04:21 AM
I'll give your thread some love Jay.

I kinda liked what I heard from the clip, but it seemed a little generic hoodiecore to me. I'm sure I'd much better appreciate it live.

Amuro Jay
01-18-2012, 04:55 AM
It does sound like generic hoodiecore, to be frank.

But Alex is so bro.

blake1221
01-18-2012, 05:16 AM
I love how you know exactly what I mean by hoodiecore.

Bro.

Amuro Jay
01-18-2012, 05:25 AM
:haha:

I'm guessing its the "i wanna sound hardcore while still appealing to the metalcore kids" thing like TGI and FTFD.

Bro.

InstantAXonHero
01-18-2012, 09:09 AM
The ending of the video with their names coming up as the camera focused on them reminded me of a typical set-in-New-York-about-6-post-grads comedy.

ChemicalFire
01-18-2012, 09:24 AM
I can dig eeet.

It's a shame TGI turned into a srscore band. I used to really like them.

MustangMan311
01-18-2012, 11:37 AM
I didn't hear any chords ringing out over breakdowns so it's okay with me for now.

datskramzkid
01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
My news feed is blowing up over this, because it contains members of DI, as well as the bassist and guitarist from Blind Witness. If there's something Quebecers like more than complaining about their rights, it's Blind Witness.

This band was okay, I suppose. They're playing their first show in a 1500 cap room, I have no idea why.

datskramzkid
01-30-2012, 02:18 PM
New song/video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqnZw4rh-yQ
Completely generic from the 5150s, negi stomps and flat-billed hats to sorta-melodic parts and the appearance of a bulldog, because if there's anything that hardcore dudes love, it's their dog.

Almost funny.

blake1221
01-30-2012, 03:02 PM
His vocals bother me.

It's like he didn't even try to assimilate into hardcore, they're generic as hell.

Annihilator666
01-30-2012, 04:22 PM
I was looking forward to hearing this, but it pretty much sounds exactly like The Ghost Inside, sub drops and all.

technicolour
01-30-2012, 05:20 PM
i'm sure they're nice guys, but this is shit

datskramzkid
01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't know how Alex went from Despised Icon which I've always thought was one of the more respected Deathcore bands to managing Skip the Foreplay and this thing. I mean, is he looking for a fast payout or something?

InstantAXonHero
01-30-2012, 07:17 PM
They're just kidding right?

datskramzkid
01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
No, people in Montreal are really like that.

Amuro Jay
01-31-2012, 03:43 AM
I loved DI but I still haven't checked the new video from these guys. If this was twelve months ago I might've been all over it.

I'll still check it out and maybe try to catch them on tour, see if Alex recognizes my friend and i.

ChemicalFire
02-01-2012, 10:00 AM
They pretty much said they weren't gonna do anything particularly new, at all, even slightly. And they've done exactly that, released a really generic hardcore song. It's alright though.

tancanada
02-01-2012, 09:15 PM
These lyrics are so bad.

blake1221
02-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Soooooooooooo fucking bad lol. I pointed that out on the comments and got shit for it.

llanafreak44
02-01-2012, 11:06 PM
This always brings this question to me. Why do people like TGI/respect them so much? They sound like really generic metalcore, and not even the "Melodic Metalcore" type deal, like As I Lay Dying/All That Remains type deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-63ccY-9TQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx55_B9S2Ts

Morphogenesis26
02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
This always brings this question to me. Why do people like TGI/respect them so much? They sound like really generic metalcore, and not even the "Melodic Metalcore" type deal, like As I Lay Dying/All That Remains type deal.

Those bands. Those bands to me are the ones that heard ATR, KSE, AILD, etc. and went "Guys, we so have to sound like that!". Problem is, it sounds like the worst parts of those bands.

EDIT: That song up there, that was awful. I swear, aside from the vocals, it sounds like something off of an A Sense Of Purpose B-sides cd. :haha:

llanafreak44
02-02-2012, 02:03 AM
n A Sense Of Purpose B-sides cd. :haha:

It exists, it's called the Sound of a Fading Playground :o

synestershadows
02-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Sounds like Parkway Drive...and not in a good way. That first riff is straight up PWD.

technicolour
02-02-2012, 03:23 AM

people respect this...?

zezimathehero
02-02-2012, 03:26 AM
This band is bad and you should feel bad

ChemicalFire
02-02-2012, 09:42 AM

Because they were one of the only good deathcore bands ever to exist. And also why does them being a different genre from those melodic hardcore/At The Gates worship bands make them bad... you're not allowed to talk anymore.

datskramzkid
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Did someone just call TGI deathcore? What the fuck?

Also, I'm interviewing Alex.

blake1221
02-02-2012, 12:29 PM

Ask him if he jumped ship on Despised Icon because he realized mimicking sterilized and formulaic hardcore with slick production and breakdowns was the next trend, and he just wanted to stay in the money.

Amuro Jay
02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
DI split because they couldn't maintain a stable lineup after their one guitarist left for JFAC. One of the members was starting a family.

Last I heard the other vocalist wanted to start a Pig Destroyer-esque grind band.

When Alex said he wanted to start an "old school" hardcore band, I didn't think hoodiecore would be the result :o

datskramzkid
02-02-2012, 04:11 PM
I kinda want to ask him about how OTB came to be, why he's managing Skip the Foreplay, how he thinks people will perceive his new projects considering he was in one of the most influential deathcore bands around, etc.

But you guys have to understand that everyone in Montreal is into this stuff, I knew that it would turn out to be like this.

llanafreak44
02-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Because they were one of the only good deathcore bands ever to exist.

I was talking about The Ghost Inside.

And also why does them being a different genre from those melodic hardcore/At The Gates worship bands make them bad... you're not allowed to talk anymore.

Different aesthetic, different appeal, different sound, different crowd. I didn't say they were bad because they're in a different genre. They're bad because they play that genre, but for some reason the melodic metalcore kids still eat it up. Brb talking, u mad?

tancanada
02-02-2012, 06:13 PM
I think TGI is the most respectable hoodiecore band that's out there. Plus they're all good guys in general/not assholes like other hoodiecore jerk offs.

synestershadows
02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
:haha: Hoodiecore.

blake1221
02-02-2012, 07:10 PM
That's exactly what it is, is it not?? haha

ChemicalFire
02-02-2012, 09:01 PM

For some reason I brain derped, I meant DI.

Probably explains why my posts in this thread make no goddamn sense.

zezimathehero
02-03-2012, 03:13 AM
I just call it pandycore.

Morphogenesis26
02-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Hoodedpandybullcore

Hoodie+Pandy+bulldog

datskramzkid
02-03-2012, 03:26 AM
No. Stop.

zezimathehero
02-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Nah.

synestershadows
02-03-2012, 05:10 PM
I just call it pandycore.
Except it's not...

datskramzkid
02-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Nah.
Not you bby

splamron
02-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Does anyone feel like it sounds alot like the australian hardcore band confession?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rghu60wGZU&ob=av2e

datskramzkid
02-03-2012, 07:26 PM
That band is so post-scene it's not funny.

It's kinda funny.

blake1221
02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Where's Danny?

WE'VE GOT ANOTHER BAND IN A FIELD!

Morphogenesis26
02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Does anyone feel like it sounds alot like the australian hardcore band confession?

The drummer looks like trollface the whole time.

InstantAXonHero
02-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Why do people insist on having their instruments hung so low?

Holy shit you can change the volume on youtube videos using the Up and Down arrow keys.

Morphogenesis26
02-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Why do people insist on having their instruments hung so low?

Holy shit you can change the volume on youtube videos using the Up and Down arrow keys.

You can even change what time it's at in the video with the left and right keys!!! :eek:

synestershadows
02-03-2012, 09:01 PM

No, they're not that bad.

Also, the top comment made me lol. I hate when people think bands are emotional just because they do melodic shit. READ THE LYRICS ASSHOLES!

zezimathehero
02-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Not you bby
I was talking to vanessa bbydoll, don worry yourself.

Amuro Jay
02-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Let me tell you what I don't like about this band.

They didn't have to come from the bottom to get to the top. They're not like a normal band that has to bust their balls to get a show. They're famous right off the bat. They're riding on Despised Icon's success. As this unit, they haven't paid their dues.

Granted, the guys in this band have had a lifetime of hard work behind them, so it justifies everything they've achieved on their own. But to form a new band and instantly be revered as the next big thing off of one song and past credentials... it's why I don't like supergroups.

datskramzkid
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I was talking to vanessa bbydoll, don worry yourself.
:haha: I forgot about that.

datskramzkid
02-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Let me tell you what I don't like about this band.

They didn't have to come from the bottom to get to the top. They're not like a normal band that has to bust their balls to get a show. They're famous right off the bat. They're riding on Despised Icon's success. As this unit, they haven't paid their dues.

Granted, the guys in this band have had a lifetime of hard work behind them, so it justifies everything they've achieved on their own. But to form a new band and instantly be revered as the next big thing off of one song and past credentials... it's why I don't like supergroups.
No one outside of Montreal reveres them as the next big thing. Also, Blind Witness had been irrelevant for something like 4 years now, or whenever it is that they did that US headliner with We Came As Romans supporting. As for Alex, he was in a big band, but it sounds like he does everything himself. He started managing Skip the Foreplay and they got signed to Epitaph within like 3 months, and touring with that dude from ETF's new band. He sure has connections, but he knows how to manage bands which if anything, is the reason why they blew up so fast. That being said, their music is bad, and I think after a few tours, they're going to plateau, and be another Hundredth/Legion/those other hoodiecore bands who are signed and tour, but will never actually be popular.

blake1221
02-19-2012, 06:52 PM
My friends are getting pretty into them, I wouldn't be surprised if they blew up. I just can't stand the music. It's fake, it's bad, it's poorly written, it's over produced, it's just fuckin' phony.

/caufield

Amuro Jay
02-19-2012, 10:02 PM
No one outside of Montreal reveres them as the next big thing. Also, Blind Witness had been irrelevant for something like 4 years now, or whenever it is that they did that US headliner with We Came As Romans supporting. As for Alex, he was in a big band, but it sounds like he does everything himself. He started managing Skip the Foreplay and they got signed to Epitaph within like 3 months, and touring with that dude from ETF's new band. He sure has connections, but he knows how to manage bands which if anything, is the reason why they blew up so fast. That being said, their music is bad, and I think after a few tours, they're going to plateau, and be another Hundredth/Legion/those other hoodiecore bands who are signed and tour, but will never actually be popular.
A couple of my friends from back home who used to dig DI and are hopping on that "lets listen to hardcore now" train have gotten into this band. Texas is a long way from Montreal, so I can only assume it's been happening elsewhere as well.

But yeah, no disrespect to Alex, he's an awesome dude.

datskramzkid
02-20-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm actually seeing them tomorrow night. They're the local for the ETID/Terror/SFTP/Former Thieves show. I have a feeling it's going to feel like they're playing a headlining set.

tancanada
02-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Yeah this shit is all that's being talked about in this scene, as if we need more hoodiecore here. KILL ME

blake1221
02-20-2012, 01:05 AM
There needs to be a music city like Atlas Shrugged.

Or Bioshock.

ChemicalFire
05-18-2012, 11:03 AM
There's a new song out, with Vogel from Terror (apparently).

Still so meh on this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJf2zUWAlVk

synestershadows
05-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Goddamn, they put SO much distortion on their vocals it's not even funny. It sounds awful.