Will screaming damage my vocal chords?

PDA

View Full Version : Will screaming damage my vocal chords?

Piņata
03-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Been trying to find my voice in singing and suddenly screaming comes up.

I've written a few songs witch involve singing in a tom waits/jack white kind of scream and I think it sounds okay, but I have no idea if I'm using proper technique but I'm guessing no since it starts to hurt after too long practicing my songs... Are there any exercises I should know of to make sure I'm doing it right and not damaging my throat?

RicketyCricket
03-24-2012, 06:07 PM
The number one thing to keep in mind is to not strain. Particularly your throat/neck need to be as relaxed as possible.

Jfour
03-24-2012, 06:16 PM
If it hurts it means you're doing it wrong and it will damage your vocal cords if you continue that way.

Aralingh
03-24-2012, 06:23 PM
If it hurts it means you're doing it wrong and it will damage your vocal cords if you continue that way.

If you sing for 14 hours straight and feel some pain, is it still wrong?

yb62338
03-24-2012, 06:25 PM
There's different kinds of screaming. There's belting in classic rock style, which usually has a pretty good foundation in solid technique. And then there's flat out screaming like the Used and Slipknot.

If you can specify what you mean by screaming, you'll probably get a better answer.

Piņata
03-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Sometimes I can relax everything, but can't hit the higher notes with a little straining a little yet...

Well, it's not like I'm coughing blood or anything, there's just a noticeable difference to the way my throat feels after singing which is a little painful , but I guess I do need work on it...

My drummer put a live demo/rehearsal on youtube the other day of a song where I scream quite a bit... I know it's rough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNPkn-tTHGk

MantheDan
03-24-2012, 06:38 PM
You scream from your diaphgram, not your throat, yes?

Piņata
03-24-2012, 06:40 PM
You scream from your diaphgram, not your throat, yes?

I'm almost certain that I breathe from my diaphragm, but it distorts at my throat.

MatrixClaw
03-24-2012, 10:27 PM
There's a whole sticky thread at the top of this forum on the topic.

If done right, screaming is perfectly safe. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong, and you should stop.

Piņata
03-24-2012, 10:58 PM
There's a whole sticky thread at the top of this forum on the topic.

If done right, screaming is perfectly safe. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong, and you should stop.

I read a bit of that, but it seemed more directed at metal vocalists than rock... might read the rest now if it's any help. I don't think what I'm doing is nearly as extreme as that though.

Scowmoo
03-27-2012, 01:12 AM
If thats too extreme for what your doing, go here instead.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329409

axemanchris
03-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Doing anything incorrectly with your voice can damage it. Quite a daunting list of victims here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22022422#post22022422

CT