Suggestion for tunings

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for tunings

mayiv
05-09-2012, 03:45 AM
First of all, I am happy with playing tabs with Android standalone TabPro.
The only thing I miss is a kind of transposing of tuning.

You know, many bands use standard (or drop D) tuning, but moved down a halftone or more. I really don't want to retune my guitar, but still would like to play along the bassline.

What I imagine is a setting, where I set my guitar's tuning.
Then, a configurable option to transpose/not transpose all the _sounds_ except drums (not the tab itself). For simplicity, it could work e.g. only when all guitar tracks are in the same tuning.

OK, maybe it's not very clear. An example:
I have E standard guitar tuning (ebgdae):
I would like to play
Dream Theater - Forsaken
which is
Tuning: D Standard (D,G,C,F,A,D)

First guitar notes are:

D -
A -
F -
C 7
G 5
D -

I would like it to be still displayed

-
-
-
-

But played as if it was
D -
A -
F -
C 9
G 7
D -

or for my guitar tuning

E -
B -
G -
D 7
A 5
E -

I just don't care for correct key while learning to play a song. I only want sounds of other instruments to be matched and play exactly what is written.

Of course if the song is written for non-matching kind of tuning (e.g. standard E, but guitar is set to drop D) the app should not transpose sounds at all.

AndyGray
05-09-2012, 04:05 AM
Can you not just play two frets down or jump up an octave when going lower? I often do it when my band goes from playing a song in D to C. Our bassist uses a 5-string and doesn't retune and it sounds alright.

mayiv
05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I can, but I don't want to. I use software mostly for learning the way of playing. I don't care for key while I learn where to put fingers. Especially when I try to learn more than one song in one session, and each song is in different tuning. And I want to put fingers on guitar in exactly same places as on a retuned guitar.
And for the sound, jumping up an octave is not a good option for me. I would rather retune. Or buy 8 stringed ;).