8 String question?

PDA

View Full Version : 8 String question?

zts24
09-20-2012, 09:11 PM
I just got a 8 string guitar, an for example im trying to tune it to play a song and the tuning is meant for a 7 string (G#,C#,F#,B,E,G#,C#). So what is the proper way to tune it? do I make the bottom string G#? Or just not mess with the bottom string at all.

adamgur96
09-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Do whatever you want with it.

You can just keep it in (8 string) standart (F#, B, E, A, D, G, b, e).

Edit: btw, this should be in the Electric Guitar forum.

Magero
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Easiest way (to avoid unfavourable string tension) is to just tune the 7-strings to G# standard, and then either leave the F# string alone, or tune it down to a D# to keep the 5ths going.

adamgur96
09-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Easiest way (to avoid unfavourable string tension) is to just tune the 7-strings to G# standard, and then either leave the F# string alone, or tune it down to a D# to keep the 5ths going.

lol that is not an easy way.......

You'd have to get different string gauges, setup the guitar to those gauges...... a whole mess.
If he wants to play a song in G#, he should just leave it in standart (F#, B, E, A, D, G, b, e). that's the easiest way.

zts24
09-20-2012, 11:11 PM
I figured it might be the wrong forum. my bad. And im a little confused here, if i have it in (F#, B, E, A, D, G, b, e) it wont sound accurate. And why would i have to get different strings gauges for Magero's method?

adamgur96
09-20-2012, 11:19 PM
I figured it might be the wrong forum. my bad. And im a little confused here, if i have it in (F#, B, E, A, D, G, b, e) it wont sound accurate. And why would i have to get different strings gauges for Magero's method?

If it doesn't sound accurate then you're not playing it right or your guitar isn't tuned very well. You said the song was in drop G#, so if you're tuned to (F#, B, E, A, D, G, b, e) it shouldn't be a problam.

And if you do what Magero said you'd have to get heavier string gauges so the strings wouldn't be all loose and floppy. and if you get heavier string gauges you'd have to setup your guitar to match it, and a whole lot of work and effort.

zts24
09-20-2012, 11:45 PM
I have to doing something wrong with the tuning, my tuner says im accurate, but it doesn't sound right, I mean im not understanding how the tuning you told me is gonna sound like ( G#,C#,F#,B,E,G#,C#). when (F#, B, E, A, D, G, b, e) has strings that are gonna be tuned higher and lower than my desired tuning.

adamgur96
09-20-2012, 11:58 PM
I have to doing something wrong with the tuning, my tuner says im accurate, but it doesn't sound right, I mean im not understanding how the tuning you told me is gonna sound like ( G#,C#,F#,B,E,G#,C#). when (F#, B, E, A, D, G, b, e) has strings that are gonna be tuned higher and lower than my desired tuning.

I see you're confused, what tuning is your guitar right now?

If you're tuned to (F#, B, E, A, D, G, b, e) then you have all the range you need, but you need to adjust your playing positions to match with what you're playing of course.

Do you know all the notes on the fretboard? Because if you don't i can understand why you're confused about this, but it's very important (especially if you're playing an 8 string) to know that.

Magero
09-21-2012, 12:03 AM
I see you're confused, what tuning is your guitar right now?

If you're tuned to (F#, B, E, A, D, G, b, e) then you have all the range you need, but you need to adjust your playing positions to match with what you're playing of course.

Do you know all the notes on the fretboard? Because if you don't i can understand why you're confused about this, but it's very important (especially if you're playing an 8 string) to know that.
STOP TALKING. SERIOUSLY.
You are confusing him by using transcription. He is purely talking about the easiest way to have G# standard tuning on his guitar. Which is to tune the 8-string down a tone and a half to D#,G#,C#,F#,B,E,G#,C#.

You are talking about just leaving the guitar in F# and moving all the hand positions to keep the notes the same, but that's confusing AND needlessly complicated for someone who JUST WANTS TO KNOW THE EASIEST WAY TO TUNE TO G# STANDARD. Seriously.

adamgur96
09-21-2012, 12:11 AM
STOP TALKING. SERIOUSLY.
You are confusing him by using transcription. He is purely talking about the easiest way to have G# standard tuning on his guitar. Which is to tune the 8-string down a tone and a half to D#,G#,C#,F#,B,E,G#,C#.

You are talking about just leaving the guitar in F# and moving all the hand positions to keep the notes the same, but that's confusing AND needlessly complicated for someone who JUST WANTS TO KNOW THE EASIEST WAY TO TUNE TO G# STANDARD. Seriously.

Stop yelling at me man!!!! :(

I'm just saying tuning down 1 and a half steps requires heavier string gauges which is a pain in the ass.
What's worng with changing positions? Is that so hard? :shrug:

You don't need to yell....

Magero
09-21-2012, 12:59 AM
When the question is; "How do I tune to G#?", it's just really irritating to have people going "You can just move the frets around, don't bother retuning."

It's like someone asking how to drive a car, and being told "Don't bother, just get a bike and put an engine on it, it's the same basic deal." Sorry for yelling (seriously, I offer my apologies), but you were just confusing the poor kid. I get that the string gauge is a separate issue, but he's just asking for tuning advice. That's it. No "weird hand positioning tips". :p:

adamgur96
09-21-2012, 01:06 AM
When the question is; "How do I tune to G#?", it's just really irritating to have people going "You can just move the frets around, don't bother retuning."

It's like someone asking how to drive a car, and being told "Don't bother, just get a bike and put an engine on it, it's the same basic deal." Sorry for yelling (seriously, I offer my apologies), but you were just confusing the poor kid. I get that the string gauge is a separate issue, but he's just asking for tuning advice. That's it. No "weird hand positioning tips". :p:

Just thought it would help, that's what i would do..... :shrug:

Any way, sorry if i confused anyone....
I think this doesn't really matter in the end of the day, as long as it sounds good, it's good. :)

Alright, move along people, nothing to see here.

silhouettica
09-21-2012, 02:30 AM
I wouldn't suggest it without a proper setup, but you COULD tune up. Since that's G# standard, it would just be:
G#
C#
F#
B
E
A
C#
F#

It's slightly different than the tuning you're looking for, but it would work.