Not a new player, but new to understanding theory and how it all works...

PDA

View Full Version : Not a new player, but new to understanding theory and how it all works...

98Redbird
10-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I've been "playing" guitar for about 8 years. Understand basics, just kind of tinker around in my free time. Lately I've really been wanting to take it seriously and start to practice, study and begin to learn music theory, how it relates to the guitar, neck, etc... I want to understand everything, how it works together.

You look up lessons online and there seem to be so many starting points, I guess I'm confused on where to begin. Where to start. What's best to learn first and what route is best to take. I guess I'm looking for some guidance here. I am a fan of a lot of different types of music. Really enjoy bluesy type stuff though. Not at all into metal and shredding type stuff.

Out of the vast areas that I could start, where do you guys suggest?

Thanks

FenderBender72
10-01-2012, 04:08 PM
This website (UG) has great lessons. To find which ones are the best, from the homepage, go to the "lessons" box and click "+more". From there at the lessons page, on the left hand side, click "top lessons". These are the best lessons on UG, and in my opinion, some of the best (free) on the internet. The one ranked #3 titled "Learning Music Theory, The Beginning" is probably the best lesson to get you started, especially if you already have a vague understanding of theory. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
The only thing I found somewhat confusing in this article was how he explained the circle of fifths. for a better explaination of that, I believe I left a comment on that article.

FenderBender72
10-01-2012, 04:13 PM
*update to my last post- I just checked for my comment in that particular link and it is the very last one. So if you need help on the Co5, scroll all the way down (theres alot of comments on that lesson)

98Redbird
10-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks FB72!

FenderBender72
10-02-2012, 04:38 PM
You're welcome