Lessons To Do List

PDA

View Full Version : Lessons To Do List

The_Strat_Man
12-22-2004, 05:15 PM
This is a list of Lessons that need to be written by a Lessons Team member. If you want to add lessons to this list, please PM me or post in here, and I'll edit it to include them. If you are looking for lessons to write these would be great ones to start with.

Lessons That Need to Be Done:
Minor Pentatonic
Major Pentatonic
A FULL Blues Lesson
Jazz and Extended Chords
Jazz and Misc. Scales (Bebop, Wholetone, Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor, etc.)

Last Updated: 06/21/05

beatallica_fan
12-22-2004, 05:30 PM
a series of lessons on jazz, i was thinking of taking dougs further modes post, and using that, adding a few bits and bobs, ill ask him first obviously. There are very few jazz resources on the net

The_Strat_Man
12-22-2004, 05:40 PM
^Added some stuff...

Good enough to be stickied yet?

jof1029
12-22-2004, 10:18 PM
wait, from what ive gone through in the styles section there are actually a few good blues lessons. Basic Blues parts 1 2 and 3 were pretty good, but if you wanted it all in one article i guess someone could do it. im not sure if it is needed though.

i plan on writing something over my holiday break, im not sure what though. ill let you guys know when i decide.

beatallica_fan
12-23-2004, 07:42 AM
edit the jazz lessons, so its a series of jazz lessons, including ones on melodic minor, harmonic minor, diminished chords and scales(just going to put that up now for critiquing), extended chords, misc scales (bebop, whole tone etc.)

The_Strat_Man
12-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by jof1029
wait, from what ive gone through in the styles section there are actually a few good blues lessons. Basic Blues parts 1 2 and 3 were pretty good, but if you wanted it all in one article i guess someone could do it. im not sure if it is needed though.

i plan on writing something over my holiday break, im not sure what though. ill let you guys know when i decide.

Yeah, I was looking for one big lesson on Blues. That would clear everything up, and make finding what you want easily accessible.

Originally posted by beatallica_fan
edit the jazz lessons, so its a series of jazz lessons, including ones on melodic minor, harmonic minor, diminished chords and scales(just going to put that up now for critiquing), extended chords, misc scales (bebop, whole tone etc.)

I'm editing it now. So, you're posting your article on jazz scales now?

Fade2Black5770
12-23-2004, 02:49 PM
something that explains scales themselves, like the definition, instead of going straight into telling us what to play, explain chords

The_Strat_Man
12-23-2004, 03:05 PM
I believe there is an explanation of chords already. I'll check if there are for scales, and then, I'll add it if it needs to be added.

Punkarse
12-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Is that it? Considering all the lessons to be scrapped, that seems quite a small list of ones to replace them with.

The_Strat_Man
12-29-2004, 07:58 PM
^ Well, it's up to people to enlighten me with new ones to add. I'll be on the lookout too.

pinheadslts75
03-12-2005, 05:34 PM
a punk lesson that doesn't refer to blink-182

Rankles
03-15-2005, 01:54 PM
^ Care to explain that useless comment?

jof1029
03-15-2005, 04:09 PM
he apparently wants a lesson on how to play punk that doesnt refer to blink 182. and since im working on a new punk lesson, he may get his wish.

Towlie
04-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Sweep picking lessons?

gflip69
04-20-2005, 09:22 AM
There should be a lesson about musical notation, how to read them and exercises. Especially on rythms and rests.

drakeman
05-04-2005, 08:07 PM
can i buy a book to learn that?

jof1029
05-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by gflip69
There should be a lesson about musical notation, how to read them and exercises. Especially on rythms and rests.
that might be hard as it is hard to show rhythm notation when typing. if it could be done well, then i think it would be awesome, but i doubt that it would work.

Captain Colon
05-25-2005, 03:51 PM
I'd love to see a lesson on strumming...basic strumming patterns, how to figure out the strumming pattern in a song...every day there's at least 2 or 3 threads to the effect of "STRUMMING HOW DO I DO IT"

Of course I'm not the person to write that, I have no idea how to learn to strum :o

Logz
06-05-2005, 01:05 PM
ive never understood whats so hard about strumming?!

do we have any lessons about proper guitar care?

Rockfall
06-07-2005, 01:06 PM
towards the music notation lessons that are wanted try these lesson things on a diff site http://www.8notes.com/theory/

Darklights
06-10-2005, 10:43 AM
How about more stuff for beginners. Like Posture...I.E. how to hold the guitar properly, how to properly place your picking hand\chord playing arm and hand, etc. etc.

There are a lot of beginners out there that can actually read tabs and music notations but have never played anything period. Say for instance my nephew.....can read bass\guitar\drum tabs but has never touched any instrument.

I guess it could be titled something like "Guitar etiquite".

slash_pwns
06-10-2005, 03:12 PM
^That wouldnt be good at all. Everyone is different and one's posture should reflect that.

Darklights
06-10-2005, 04:00 PM
^ I don't agree, Individualism can develope afterwards. There are a lot of beginners that have trouble just because they are doing things incorrectly and after it is pointed out and "fixed" they do great.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for individualism....if I weren't I wouldn't be a 43 yrd old with brow piercings and all that crap. But style and techniques can be changed after they learn how to play.

unfluffed
06-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Alternate picking licks?
sweep picking?
shredding? (overdoin' it now I guess:p:)

I would like to understand more soloing patterns.
more minor pentatonic since this is a beginners scale and explain some stuff like intervals, modes etc. :eek: hope I helped in some way

Mace_37
06-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Logz
ive never understood whats so hard about strumming?!

do we have any lessons about proper guitar care?

I found strumming up to be a pain at first. and strumming without a pick can be a pain when starting.

how about a lesson on sweep picking.

metalhead84
06-13-2005, 03:42 PM
how about a lesson on licks that you can use in your solos. Im always lookin for new riffs to incorporate into my playing. I think it would be excellent.

slash_pwns
06-21-2005, 02:51 PM
After my thoery lesson, I'll be doing modes of the harmonic abd melodic minor. Sounds good?

SilentDeftone
06-21-2005, 02:55 PM
I suppose.

I'm not sure if it's totally necessary, I've always just linked to http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26618 in the forums and whatnot.

I suppose not everyone reads the forums though. Couldn't hurt in the long run, as long as it's well done :)

-SD :dance:

slash_pwns
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
What would you reccomend as the next one?

SilentDeftone
06-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Beats me, or I'd write it :p:

You could write one on secondary dominants, or chord subs, if you know about them.

slash_pwns
06-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Yeh I'd have to look into that stuff first. I guess I'll just do Minor Pentatonic, Major Pentatonic and a FULL Blues Lesson :p:

marchoso
06-27-2005, 03:11 AM
I would love to see some more in depth lessons on slides.

ILoveHarmonics
06-27-2005, 03:02 PM
I was thinking about making myself usefull by writing about pentatonics but slash_pwns seems to be highly motivated. :)

slash_pwns
06-27-2005, 03:34 PM
^I'm halfway through... Back off ;)

Corwinoid
06-28-2005, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by SilentDeftone
Beats me, or I'd write it :p:

You could write one on secondary dominants, or chord subs, if you know about them.

I started to write a post equivelant to the Melody & Harmony one in MT, for WJ, before he told me to go shove it--when I finish the M&H thread; and clean it up, I'll finish that.

Actually the subs one might be longer.. and is super in depth.

The_Strat_Man
06-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Corwinoid
I started to write a post equivelant to the Melody & Harmony one in MT, for WJ, before he told me to go shove it--when I finish the M&H thread; and clean it up, I'll finish that.

Actually the subs one might be longer.. and is super in depth.

I wouldn't mind one on chord substitutions. I could help with the FULL Blues lesson, or something.

slash_pwns
06-28-2005, 12:08 PM
^What would be in the FULL blues lesson anyways?

The_Strat_Man
06-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by slash_pwns
^What would be in the FULL blues lesson anyways?

Breakdowns of the following:

12 Bar Blues and its Forms
The I Chord and how to play over it
The IV Chord and how to play over it
The V Chord and how to play over it
The Turnaround
Blues Soloing
Minor over Major and Major over Minor
Minor Blues
Slide Blues

IF anyone can think of any more, than say 'em. If not, then that's it.
For a real blues lesson, each of those topics need to be huge. The 12 Bar Blues and its Forms would need to be about a page with chord diagrams and the likes. The I chord, IV chord, and V chord should take up 2 pages - 3 pages atleast. The turnaround should be a page. Blues soloing should be a page and a half or more. Minor over Major and Major over Minor shouldn't be that long, just an explanation on how this works. Minor Blues should be a page (or we could copy Redwing's article :p: ). And Slide Blues should be a page to a page and a half.

slash_pwns
06-28-2005, 02:31 PM
^I guess you can do that one then :p:

I guess I'll start the Rock Rhythm Guitar follow up.

The_Strat_Man
06-28-2005, 06:21 PM
I'll probably spend a couple weeks on it then... ^^

SilentDeftone
06-28-2005, 06:57 PM
No 12-bar blues section?

The_Strat_Man
06-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by SilentDeftone
No 12-bar blues section?

:bonk:

Woops, lol... Editing that in right now.

:bonk:

slash_pwns
06-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Blues scale maybe?

The_Strat_Man
06-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by slash_pwns
Blues scale maybe?

That'd be in the Blues Soloing section.

Httpmaninger
08-06-2005, 06:12 PM
This thread could offer some useful blues tips:

but im just a kid who really has no musical aptitude outside of rote memorization and academic regurgitation. so I'll leave the tips to the real musicians.

jamstation
08-08-2005, 04:20 AM
is this a blues only thread? because i wanted to suggest someone do a slap/pop bass video... the text-only articles havent been much use

slash_pwns
08-09-2005, 01:42 PM
That would be a long one... They've been around for 20+ years... Drug Addiction... Dave Navarro, etc... I think it's a good idea, but I don't know if I'd write it myself.

Towlie
08-13-2005, 09:10 AM
New Lesson idea:

Title :

How to improve your stage presence when performing

Okay, so i will not be writing it because... well... i feel as if i am one of the people who need some guidance on the topic area! I am guessing i am not the only one... :confused:

So, uh, yea.... tell me what you think of the title and if anyone likes it get writing. :cheers:

Evil_Empire24-7
11-04-2005, 04:47 AM
picking styles and exercises on them.

MrSnugglewuffle
11-10-2005, 07:35 PM
I suppose I could cover an extensive Jazz lesson with the help of one of my collegues.

WILL334
11-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Mabye u could do somthing like song writing and making your own riffs ect.