Can you swap the notes in chord around to make different patterens

PDA

View Full Version : Can you swap the notes in chord around to make different patterens

HankHendrix
09-15-2002, 09:43 AM
Hi there!Can you swap the notes in chord around to make different patterens? What I mean is instead of going 1 5 1 3 as in scale dgrees can u swap them around like 1 3 5 1 and it would still be regarded as the same chord?

e.g Cmaj

C D E F G A B

1 5 1 3

can u make it 1 3 5 1 and woudl it still be a Cmaj chord?

casualty01
09-15-2002, 10:10 AM
yeah it would be the same thing .... same as with colors ... if you mix 3 different colors .... it doesnt matter which color goes first, as long as they're mixed together, they're gonna produce the same end color as a result ..... same thing with chords .

lets take a simple C maj triad like you had put

C-E-G is root -3rd- 5th (1-3-5) like you had also stated ...
now this is called "root position" cause you are playing the chord starting on its root there is also 1st. inversion and 2nd inversion .... here they are

1st inversion - playing a triad with 3rd in the bass

so instead of 1-3-5 .... it would be 3-5-1

so in the case of the Cmaj chord ... you are now playing
E-G-C

it still has all 3 notes of the C Maj chord so it is still C maj no matter hwo you play it ...

2nd inversion - playing triad with 5th in the Bass

so instead of 1-3-5 ..... or 3-5-1 ..... you now have 5-1-3

so now our notes are arranged .... G-C-E

see how the notes are just flipped around ?

C-E-G = Root position (1-3-5)
....E-G-C = 1st Inversion (3-5-1)
.......G-C-E = 2nd Inversion (5-3-1)

got it ? ..... anymore questions , or clarification on what i just said .... just post em here :)

Cas- :peace:

dmal
09-16-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by casualty01
yeah it would be the same thing .... same as with colors ... if you mix 3 different colors .... it doesnt matter which color goes first, as long as they're mixed together, they're gonna produce the same end color as a result ..... same thing with chords .

lets take a simple C maj triad like you had put

C-E-G is root -3rd- 5th (1-3-5) like you had also stated ...
now this is called "root position" cause you are playing the chord starting on its root there is also 1st. inversion and 2nd inversion .... here they are

1st inversion - playing a triad with 3rd in the bass

so instead of 1-3-5 .... it would be 3-5-1

so in the case of the Cmaj chord ... you are now playing
E-G-C

it still has all 3 notes of the C Maj chord so it is still C maj no matter hwo you play it ...

2nd inversion - playing triad with 5th in the Bass

so instead of 1-3-5 ..... or 3-5-1 ..... you now have 5-1-3

so now our notes are arranged .... G-C-E

see how the notes are just flipped around ?

C-E-G = Root position (1-3-5)
....E-G-C = 1st Inversion (3-5-1)
.......G-C-E = 2nd Inversion (5-3-1)

got it ? ..... anymore questions , or clarification on what i just said .... just post em here :)

Cas- :peace:

Cas you are a musical GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Snyper
09-16-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by dmal

Cas you are a musical GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
i second that motion
:cheers:

courtneytaylor
09-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Snyper

i second that motion

it wasnt a motion..............it was a statement......a motion is when someone suggests a 'plan' or that something should be done.............jhc!

SY57EM
09-24-2002, 07:05 PM
argh... I was gonna answer this. I coulda too! maybe just not as completely as cas... *thinks of random thing to add*

you can also add more note to the chord, such as having more than C, or 3rd or 5th.

and why doesn't anyone play:

E---------------
B---0----------
G---0----------
D---0----------
A---------------
E---------------

for the G chord? the standard hurts my abnormally stretched pinky... :rolleyes: :bonk:

casualty01
12-26-2002, 02:06 AM
**** don't delete *****

teenychild
12-29-2002, 08:42 PM
thats an awesome theory - i never wouldda thunk it..i dont think:D

-sparkie

Teup
12-30-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by SY57EM
argh... I was gonna answer this.

SY5 you are a musical GENIUS TOO!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Originally posted by SY57EM
and why doesn't anyone play:

E---------------
B---0----------
G---0----------
D---0----------
A---------------
E---------------

for the G chord? the standard hurts my abnormally stretched pinky... :rolleyes: :bonk:

do you mean 320003 instead of 320033? Is that the standard?
First, I do play it the 000 way (i dunno the 003 sounds a bit like add9 or whatever to me), 000 just sounds like it has more depth.

And second, 320003 could do without it; but I play that with the pinky anyhow :)

furyelemental
01-02-2003, 10:32 PM
usually in guitar notation the inverted chord is denoted by something, i forgot, but i've found in inversions that its easy to emphasize one note over the root especially if you are used to striking that string more in the standard form and can change the tone a bit.

and one more odd thing i have noticed, if you form a chord in a scale and you base the root in one octave and the others in a higher or lower octave, it sometimes conflicts with the tone as well. this time it seems to conflict. i'm experimenting so bear with me