Need some help..

PDA

View Full Version : Need some help..

soad_boy69
09-24-2002, 04:19 PM
I really wanna learn about band stuff like setting up live gigs (Rigs, etc) and recording and all that... like what musical groups go through, can anyone help me or give me a url...

:cheers:

wickedfingers
09-27-2002, 12:02 PM
I don't know if this site is still active but
inyoureye.com

The last time i visited, they had a lot of useful knowledge...good luck bro...

dmal
09-27-2002, 10:11 PM
2 pieces of advice for you:

work as a team....
understand that different people in your band have different strengths. Utilize those strengths. Don't hold the weaknesses against them.

be ambitious.....
the harder you work, be it booking gigs, practicing, or promo work, the better the payoff. The payoff may not necessarily mean money. It could mean more gigs, better gigs, or better crowd response, better sound, etc......

keep at it
(all I want is a backstage pass)
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

soad_boy69
09-28-2002, 03:05 AM
yup sure thing dmal.... :cheers:

But I was talking more on the lines of learning how one set up for gigs and how one records etc....

wickedfingers
09-28-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by soad_boy69
yup sure thing dmal.... :cheers:

But I was talking more on the lines of learning how one set up for gigs and how one records etc....

Was the site I suggested up? If not, let me know and I might be able to find others....good luck and let me know bro..

dmal
09-28-2002, 11:26 PM
As far as set up goes....

lets start with a promotions package.

It should include the following:
1)...3 song demo...keep it simple, yet varied. You need to find songs that will appeal to a wide variety of people, if you play songs in more than genre. Try not to limit yourself by putting three songs that sound the same. Try to use a cd. Casettes are ok, but a professional looking cd will be much more succesful.

2)...band biography...talk about your band and give a brief description and history so that bar owners, promoters, and event planners know who they are dealing with. Never say anything negative in your biography.

3)...contact info... e-mail addresses, phone numbers, web addresses or any other way a client can get in touch with you.

4)...band photo...try to keep this as professional looking as you can. Don't be holding up your favorite bong or a beer bottle in your photo. You can still look cool without doing all of that.

5)...flyers, business cards, other info...anything that has you band's name on it and makes you look better, more professional, more impressive. Band stickers or even a band T-shirt if you can afford a few. Get the client to remember you. These things aren't necessary, but they are good if available.

6)...references...you won't have any to start with, but be sure to get contact info from your clients. As your reference list grows, it will be easier to land gigs.

Keep the package as easy to handle and as professional looking as possible. Notice that I use the word professional ALOT.
If you show recklessness and immaturity to a client, they probably won't have you back. Keep the package professional, keep the performance professional, and you will be able to repeat business. NO MATTER WHAT....make sure you are having a good time on stage or when promoting your band.

Take the package to the local bars, clubs, venues, or wherever your music could be welcome, and pass them out to your prospective clients. Be sure to get a contract on your gigs to ensure that you get paid. Be persistent, play well and have fun.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

SayItAintSo
09-29-2002, 12:24 AM
Be prepared for failures, successes and ups and downs.

dmal
09-29-2002, 09:40 AM
Equipment you will need for a live gig:

the only things you will really need for live gigs are your own guitars and amps. You can go out and buy your own PA/mixing board/amps, but when starting out it is much better to simply hire a sound man.

If you are dead set on buying your own sound gear, prepare to spend some money. Here are a few of the necessities that you will need:
>>>Mixing Board-at least 12 channels, any less and you will grow out of it real quick.

>>>Microphones-one for each vocalist, and several instrument mics for sound reinforcment of guitar and bass amps and drums.

>>>PA speakers-these need to be good enough quality to project your sound and tough enough to take some abuse.

>>>monitors-you will need at least 3, two up front and one for the drummer

>>>amplifyers-you will need these to power your crowd monitors and stage monitors.

>>>effects units-if you like effects on your vocals, you should get an effects unit. One that has at least reverb, chorus and delay.
A preamp is good as well for giving your vocals a richer sound. My suggestion is a tube preamp. These things aren't necessary, but really nice to have.

>>>Cables, cords, etc- don't forget these, your whole sound rig is useless without them.

>>>Direct inject boxes-you use these to feed your acoustics and bass directly into the soundboard.

total estimate: thousands of dollars, maybe even tens of thousands of dollars. I don't know the exact dollar figure, but my bands sound rig was well into ten thousand dollars, probably closer to twenty. It really depends on how elaborate you get.

That is why I suggest a sound man. You may pay $100-300 per session depending on the sound man. For now, that is much more affordable.

luke89
09-29-2002, 01:05 PM
its all about working hard