Metallica Vs. Megadeth

PDA

View Full Version : Metallica Vs. Megadeth

kirk_rules!
02-12-2005, 03:11 PM
This battle has gone on for as long as anyone can remember. Really, it began when Dave Mustaine was "let go" from the band. I'm sure there has been an article on this already, but I would like to put my spin on the issue.

Metallica:
Metallica debuted with a lot of contributions from Mustaine still remaining. Kill 'Em All, was the album title, and it was definately a great place to start. After their strong debut, they progressed to Ride the Lightning, and then struck oil with Master of Puppets. You can tell right off the bat the first time you hear the intro/intro solo to their "balladish" type songs (Welcome Home, Fade to Black, One.) that they aren't the fast metalheads they seem to be. Those few songs show just how musically inclined the band is. And the instrumentals (Orion, Call of Ktulu, and To Live is to Die) speak for themselves in that 8-9 minute songs that don't seem repetitive, and don't have vocals are immpossible to achieve without an extremely talented band. Although, I will give credit to Dave Mustaine for The Call of Ktulu.
But tragedy struck the band after Master of Puppets when Clff Burton, beloved bassist for Metallica, was killed in a bus accident. And as a result, after 1988, when they released ...And Justice for All, there came a maturity over the group. Some say it was Bob Rock who softened them up, but it was, I think, a tribute album in some ways.
This is totally my theory behind all of this! ...And Justice for All was just like Metallica trying their hardest to forget about the loss of Cliff Burton (R.I.P.). And they couldn't hold back when '91 came around and let all of their feelings out with Metallica (The Black Album).
I belive that they saw the huge success of the album with sales over anything they had ever seen, and they tried to continue their style (softer) with Load and Reload.
I think they did an awesome job on Garage Inc. They really showed their "good side" again on the second disc. And S&M was cool, however didn't do much for me.
And then all hell broke loose with St. Anger. Great riffs, horrible sound. I liked their idea to record even the minor screw-ups and just go for it, but you have to admit, if they recorded the songs from St. Anger with the same setup as Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, or ...And Justice for All, there would be many more fans of the album.

Megadeth:
Megadeth has not had the same problems as Metallica. First of all, they have been able to stay consistent with their albums. Rust in Peace stands out as exceptional though. I don't think their albums amount to as much as Metallica's though. Personally, their riffs are just too fast. But the guitars and drums really go together well in that band. Since they add more emphasis on the instrumental side of the spectrum. They focus more on the music more-so than the lyrics. I respect them greatly for that. And I will add that their lyrics are great too.
Though Megadeth has gone through many drummers and guitarists, they are still able to keep a somewhat consistent musical style. And I almost put Megadeth and Metallica in a different category of metal because they sound sooo much different. Anyway, this consistency comes from their core of the band, of course, Dave Mustaine.
Killing is My Business...And Business is Good! was Megadeth's debut with songs like Killing is My Business, and Mechanix (exactly like the Four Horsemen, but like 3x faster). The album got strong reviews. Then Peace Sells...But Who's Buying came out, and this album, like the first, got great reviews. This album is kind of where their musical ability got to shine through. With little things like the bass intro to Peace Sells...But Who's Buying. (Which later became the theme song for Mtv News) And this is where the band became famous, selling over 1 million copies of the album.
Although the band was doing great, Mustaine was sinking with his drug abuse (mostly heroin) Then, Dave got out of rehabilitation, and made probably the best decision of his life. The hiring of Marty Friedman. (Incredbile guitarist by the way.) He added a more melodic style to Megadeth which the band definately needed. This is where Megadeth hit it's climax...they released Rust in Peace. Acceptional with, again, the instrumental side of the spectrum especially highlighted. And, the world got it's first peak at the sobered up Dave Mustaine. And the band pretty much continued a steady climb until 2001. Then Dave suffered from his injury while on a break from touring. Thus, the breakup of Megadeth occured in 2002. However, Megadeth got back together just recently and released the album, The System Has Failed.

To conclude my article, I will compare and contrast the bands with a "match-up" kind of format.

Hetfield and Mustaine-both great rythym guitarists (even thought Dave does more lead work than James). Mustaine definately goes for the speed approach when writing his riffs. James goes for the more epic kind of thing. Dave and James put fairly equal amounts of effort in to their lyrical work.
Hammett and Friedman-both seem to give their band a melodic style. Friedman uses a sweeping approach to his solos, and sometimes, he will write almost random things. (e.g. the solo in middle of Five Magics.) Kirk has a different attack to melody with definately speed (this is where the guitarists are related), but to contrast Friedman, Hammett uses more technicallity in that he uses more tremolo, and other various "things to do on the guitar".
Ulrich and Menza-Menza definately holds the band together (like any drummer), but he brings something extra to the band with drum solos at the beginning of songs. (e.g. Trust, Rust In Peace, and Skin O' My Teeth.) These little things like this really highlight the bands ability to "share" the spotlight. Whereas, Lars doesn't add anything to Metallica. He, basically, keeps the band in timing, and that's just about all. He adds little rolls in the middle of a song, but that's pretty much it.
Newsted and Ellefson-I'm using Newsted instead of Burton for the simple reason that he has been with the band the longest. Bass guitar doesn't do much other than add a deepness to a song. Unless of course you're in Iron Maiden, and the bass is just as important as the rythym guitar. But I don't know much about Ellefson other than that he was the original and stayed with Mustaine through the lineup changes. Newsted is a good bass player, and I really like listening to his solo intro to My Friend of Misery.

Even though my article has been written here, the debate will continue probably forever. Both bands match up just about even. And I am sad to see Megadeth break, however I can't wait to see what the new Metallica album will be like.

Rust in peace!

SilentDeftone
02-12-2005, 03:25 PM
A little one-sided, no?

Made_IN_Canada
02-12-2005, 03:27 PM
I must say that was a pretty good article. It was nice and fair and didnt take sides. My persobal favourite is Megadeth though.

kirk_rules!
02-12-2005, 04:17 PM
i was simply giving my opinions and i just wanted to see if people agree with me.
thank you for giving me your opinion and i know it was a little one sided.
maybe i will write one that's a little longer next time, giving proof and reasons for my beliefs.
thanx for reading it too

Zabka
02-16-2005, 05:24 PM
quite good

ninjasushi
02-21-2005, 01:17 PM
u did absolutely NO reaserch on megadeth... God, i feel likewriting a decent article on megadeth vs metallica now...

btw, go listen to the solo on tornado of souls... thats melody for u... abnd btw, the gitarist is marty friedman, and hes got more melody than kirk hammet will ever have, listen to sum of his solo albums...

busby_bass
02-21-2005, 03:47 PM
It seems to me that the article is more like Megadeath soloists versus mettalica soloists and even then it is far to short and one sided

Sorry it was a good try but i just didn't like it.

Spend a little more time researching the article next time .

:cheers:

scousertommy
02-21-2005, 03:53 PM
I think they already have an argument like this at gnoosic.com under metallica, if anyone wants to see that...

kirk_rules!
02-22-2005, 12:58 PM
sorry guys if this was one-sided, this was my first article.
i guess i'll do more research before i do another

SilentDeftone
02-22-2005, 01:12 PM
You could always expand upon what you've already written?

ninjasushi
02-23-2005, 11:51 AM
kirk_rules!, clean out ur pm box... i have a reply to ur message.

otherwise, i like the revision to ur artcile, good job :cheers:

DespisE
02-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Hum,Megadeth got back together,did you know that? With The Dover brothers from the band Eidolon,and they also release a new album last summer called The system has failed.....

kirk_rules!
02-25-2005, 01:38 AM
i did know that...forgot to add that

Psykotik
02-26-2005, 05:43 PM
....more research...

and try to..

not be on metallica's side...

megadeth>metallica in all aspects exept economical...

bangoodcharlote
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
There was this little album between Peace Sells and Rust called So Far...So Good...So What with a little song on it called In My Darkest Hour.

Originally posted by ninjasushi
btw, go listen to the solo on tornado of souls... thats melody for u :cheers: That is the greatest shred solo ever recorded.

kirk_rules!
03-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by bangoodcharlote
[B]There was this little album between Peace Sells and Rust called So Far...So Good...So What with a little song on it called In My Darkest Hour.

Also on that album is one of my favorite instrumentals. (Into the Lungs of Hell)

I wasn't going for naming all of their albums or anything, but I just kind of went more for just a brief description/history of the bands and how I think they match up. It was mostly an opinionated article more than a biography.

I'm sorry to say that I cannot agree with you guys on Tornado of Souls being the greatest solo out there. By the way, who's solo is that, was it Friedman?

bangoodcharlote
03-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by kirk_rules!
I'm sorry to say that I cannot agree with you guys on Tornado of Souls being the greatest solo out there. By the way, who's solo is that, was it Friedman? It was Marty. You don't have to agree that it is the best either, that's opinion.

You like the solo, right?

kirk_rules!
03-02-2005, 08:20 PM
oh yeah of course. its a great solo.
just not my favorite.
really i don't have a favorite. i like almost any solo that has rythym, logic, and doesn't repeat the same riff 20 times.

ebashnitzil
03-06-2005, 08:26 PM
i dont think we need any more articles about this, i love thrash but i think articles shouldn't be things people would reply to - they need to be imformative

although a well written VS article isn't bad, this subject is just single minded - 2 of the first thrash bands with their differences and the same fans listen to both - it may seem rich but, you know, nobody wants a Metallica vs. Megadeth cunundrum (sp?)

Rankles
03-15-2005, 05:17 AM
I think this is best started over. Use the comments above to rewrite what you have and do some more research into Megadeth. VS columns are never too popular anyway.

*not approved* - Until it's rewritten at least. Feel free to write another draft as it has potential.

kirk_rules!
03-15-2005, 10:50 AM
thanx for the advice...although I don't plan on doing more research nor do I plan on rewriting this article.

I am working on another article now though

Rankles
03-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Ok well i guess it was a good start anyway. Remember to post your next article here and good luck :cheers: