A Guide To Tuning

PDA

View Full Version : A Guide To Tuning

thebassmaster
09-28-2002, 07:57 PM
ok im bored and so i decided to write out a miniture guide to answer the most common tuning questions. this is for all you ppl who dont own a chromatic tuner.

firstly before we start, ive attached a file that will tune your guitar into normal tuning. this will be in the post below

drop d only, the one string (d a d g b e)

play e on the 7th fret, the play open A, then detune the e till it sounds like the A. alternatively, you can play open e and open d and then detune the e till it has the same pitch as the d.

drop c only, the one string (c a d g b e)

play e on the 9th fret, the play open A, then detune the e till it sounds like the A.

tuning down half a step (d# g# c# f# a# d#)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom

tuning down a step (d g c f a d)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom.

basically for the tunings down half a step and one step, you change the step of the first tuning and this then affects everything so tuning the normal way tunes everything half a step or a whole step down.

drop c (c g c f a d)

tune everything down a whole step (see above) and then play the seventh fret on your low e string (which now should be d) and open a (which now should be g). detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C F A D. this is static-x's favourite tuning

drop B (b f# b e g# c#)

okay this is a long one, and the tuning is B F# B E G# C#. ok. from normal tuning, play the second fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then, to do the bottom e string, you can either play this on the seventh fret, and open a (which is now f#) and tune the e string till it sounds the same, or play open e and the open d string (which now should be b) detune the e string accordingly till it sounds the same. this tuuning is popular with slipknot

ill add more later. maybe this will be a sticky. if i have somthing wrong, or should add something, pm me or write in this post

metallica_12398
10-04-2002, 05:45 PM
That's really helpfull for my accoustic of course, but can you do the same for my bass (tunning guide) thanks

Bassman Matt

:peace: Metallica :peace:

thebassmaster
10-04-2002, 07:03 PM
to do the bass, just do the same but miss out the last two strings. drop d and drop c are exactly the same, but tuning all strings down is slightly different

tuning down half a step (d# g# c# f#)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g. then to do the bottom string, play the 5th fret on e and the open a string (which now should be g#) and tune the e in accordingly

tuning down a step (d g c f)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g. then to do the bottom string, play the 5th fret on e and the open a string ( which should be g) hen tune in the e accordingly

drop c (c g c f)

tune everything down a whole step up to the g string, then press the seventh fret on your low e string and open a. detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C.

drop b (b f# b e)

play the second fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g, then play the 10th fret on e and open a (now f#) then detune the e string

Double checked, edited and approved by Beat, go wild guys! Good job Matt :cheers:

IM_ELVIS_ON_LSD
10-09-2002, 09:19 PM
And whats drop A?

thebassmaster
10-10-2002, 07:16 AM
drop a (a e a d)

play open bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g, then play the open bottom e and the open bottom d (now a), detune the bottom string till its an octave of the open d string.

I think its ok, as long as you can maintain string tension at such low tunings, but matts theory is fine. beat!

thebassmaster
10-10-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by IM_ELVIS_ON_LSD
And whats drop A?

oh did u mean for guitar? ill do that tonight

thebassmaster
10-10-2002, 04:32 PM
drop a (a e a d f# b)

ok, play bottom e on the 12th fret and open a, then detune the e string till it sounds the same as the a. then play the seventh fret on the newly tuned e string and open a, then detune the a string. then play the fifth fret on the a string, ,then open d, then detune the d string, then play the fifth fret on the d string, then open g and detune the g. now, play the FORTH on the g string (should now be tuned into a d) and open b, then detune the b, then play the fifth on the b string, and the high e, then detune the high e.

beatallica_fan
10-10-2002, 04:39 PM
Again seems fine to me, i think the best thing to do is for you guys to try these tuning guides out, if you come across any problems with any of them pm me or thebassmaster and we'll see what we can do. Beat!

guitartabbooksw
10-11-2002, 02:56 AM
I dont know if anyone here is aware of it, but the most awesome tuner I have ever used was a free download called the AP Guitar Tuner, and you can get it here.
http://www.sharewaremusicmachine.com/smm/programs/AP_Guitar_Tuner/

It will tune to Drop D, Drop C, Powerchords, standard tuning, tuning flat, ect....
:down:

thebassmaster
10-11-2002, 09:35 AM
SOON TO COME

ive got an mp3 which has the standard tuning notes. (e a d g b e) im gonna find a place to upload it on too, then link it here so you can tune ur guitar back :cheers:

metallica_12398
10-11-2002, 04:31 PM
awsome sounds great! for bass too?:bonk:

thebassmaster
10-11-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by metallica_12398
awsome sounds great! for bass too?:bonk:

ill find one, or u could use the bottom 4 and try and tune using the octaves

Blazer
10-12-2002, 03:45 PM
I found a great tuner at this site!! musiceffect.com (http://www.musiceffect.com/TUNER/tuner.html) hope you find it usefull!! Joe :D

thebassmaster
10-15-2002, 01:39 PM
HERE IS THE TUNER (http://www.geocities.com/hack_ppls_msn/Standard_guitar_tuning.mp3)

its a bit cheesy but it does the job

turinbrakes
11-01-2002, 12:38 PM
I uploaded some midi files to my webspace.

Be sure you Right click on the link, and then choose Save as..

E (http://www.geocities.com/timlawson100/E.mid)
A (http://www.geocities.com/timlawson100/A.mid)
D (http://www.geocities.com/timlawson100/D.mid)
G (http://www.geocities.com/timlawson100/G.mid)
B (http://www.geocities.com/timlawson100/B.mid)
e (http://www.geocities.com/timlawson100/E-high.mid)

It always worked for me when i didn't have a tuner yet :) :cheers:

thebassmaster
11-01-2002, 01:10 PM
thanks turin :)

miele
11-13-2002, 08:25 AM
There is a tuner on my "site" too.
www.guitarfiles.tk

NoHero
11-14-2002, 09:08 PM
Okay i doubt any off you can help me with this so i will ask anyway, how do you tune a guitar to open FSharp Minor, this tuning is used in a Days of the New song and its pissing me off that i cant play it.

NoHero
11-22-2002, 06:20 PM
Okay since on one is helping in my time alone i figured it out so dont worry about it.

thebassmaster
12-01-2002, 07:25 PM
Staind's is Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Cb-Eb and Creed's is D-A-D-G-A-D. Can you help me?

this is for my new n00b friend :)

staind

play the 4th fret on low e and open a, then tune the open a to the forth fret on e. then take the 5th fret on the newly strung a string and open d and retune the d, then the 5th fret on d and open g. then retune g. then the forth freth on g and open b, and retune the b string. then take the fifth fret on the b string and the high open e and retune the e string. now play the lower e and the higher e together. retunr the lower e so the two e's are an octave apart.

creed:

right then :) play the 7th fret on low e and open a, the retune the e string. then play your 2nd fret on g and open b then retune the b string. then play the fifth fret on ur newly tuned b string and ur open high e, then retune

i suggest you wait till beat checks it but i think that how its done :)

EDIT-I checked the creed tuning and made a slight amendment, but i think its ok now. The Cb note your trying to tune to on the staind tuning has me confused. Theres no actual Cb, half a step below C is B, if thats what you wanted then theres no need to retune, if you meant Bb then the tuning just seems to be half a step down. I dont play or even own music by these bands so people try these tuning out and come back to us if you have trouble. Beat!

froggie0424
12-03-2002, 08:08 AM
What about open D or Db tuning??

thebassmaster
12-03-2002, 10:32 AM
you mean these?

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom.

beatallica_fan
12-03-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by thebassmaster
you mean these?

I dont think he did mean those actually matt, i may be wrong. I tune to open D as DADF#AD, and so open Db is just that but half a step down, Db,Ab,Db,F,Ab,Db.

Slut
12-09-2002, 07:18 PM
I just tuned my guitar down 2 steps (I think) It's in whatever Drop B is but in standard instead of dropped. What is this exactly?

:bonk:

guitartabbooksw
12-09-2002, 10:50 PM
You are tuned to C
Even lower than my favorite Black Sabbath tune "Into The Void " which was tuned to C#. Your axe is gonna sound Heavy!
:headbang: :down: :headbang:
Wish I was there to hear you tear up some wattage! Possibly the sound will be so heavy it will travel through the core of the earth!
Have to admire a metaler with big balls! Crank that puppy!
:rasta:

Slut
12-10-2002, 12:18 AM
lol, I tuned down lower cause my sis usually blasts rap in the middle of the night so I cant sleep.

She wont like what she wakes up to tomarrow.

Anyways, if I tune down again and dropped it it'd be drop A I think, what is it if I tune it down 1 more step after that?

AS in, if I tuned down 2 more steps then Im at now.

guitartabbooksw
12-10-2002, 10:47 AM
I would tend tothink that tuning too much lower may lossen the strings, to the point that they wont stay in tune too well, but I sure would like to be a fly on the wall when your sister gets her well deserved "wake up call":D :cheers: :lurk: :haha :gunsfirin :headbang: :down: :headbang:

thebassmaster
12-11-2002, 10:00 AM
F Bb F Bb D F

play the 4th fret on the low e string and open a, then retune the e string so it sound the same as open a, then play the forth fret on the a string and open d, then retune the a string, the play open d and the low e (which now should be tuned to f), then play the 7th fret of the retuned A string and tune the fourth string to that. The play the fifth fret of the D string and tune the G string to that. then play the forth fret on the newly tuned g string and open b, then retune b so it sounds the same. then there are two ways of retuning the top string, eith play low e and bottom e togeth and higher the tuning of high e till they sound the same or play the 3rd fret of the b string and the high open e and retune till it sounds the same

phew........ you may wanna let beat double check it first

EDIT : Checked and amended to what i think is correct, anyone who wants to query this please pm me, best way too check is for the requestee to try using this guide, Beat!

crinkboy
01-07-2003, 10:56 PM
all this stuff is great almost as great as sunday morning breakfast

thebassmaster
01-09-2003, 11:42 AM
http://WWW.ULTIMATE-GUITAR.COM/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18162

it may have been moved but i still think that its useful to have a link here so theres no tuning threads. miele or beat, if you dont want this here, delete it :)

dmal
01-09-2003, 08:47 PM
http://WWW.ULTIMATE-GUITAR.COM/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18162

it may have been moved but i still think that its useful to have a link here so theres no tuning threads. miele or beat, if you dont want this here, delete it :)

to add to this.....

the thread that matt mentioned is located in the Archives Forum, which contains the most commonly asked questions and the most informative threads.....

please read it.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

beatallica_fan
01-10-2003, 11:02 AM
We'll leave this open so that people can ask question on tunings not covered in the original thread, when/if it gets big enough ill move it over to archives and start another one, but please no spamming and no repetition of tunings previously covered. Beat!

NoHero
02-23-2003, 08:17 PM
How about everyones old friend OPEN E tuning.

thebassmaster
02-26-2003, 07:06 AM
tell me the notes of the open strings and ill have a go :)

NoHero
02-26-2003, 05:00 PM
EABEBE

beatallica_fan
02-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Actually its EBEG#BE

thebassmaster
02-27-2003, 09:18 AM
ill do both, though what simon says it probably right :)

EABEBE

hmmm, not too tricky. play the 2nd fret of a and open d, and detune the d till the two sound exactly the same. then you can do e the octave way, by playing one of the e strings and open g, then detuning g till the notes sound an octave apart, or play the fifth fret on open d (now should be b) and open g and retune g till it sounds the same as the fifth fret on the d string

actually, ive gotta lesson now, so ill do beats later

thebassmaster
02-28-2003, 12:09 PM
ok EBEG#BE

play the 7th fret on your low e and open a then retune the a so it sounds the same as the 7th fret E. then play the 12th fret on your low e and open d, then retune your d string. then on your open d (which now should be E) play the forth fret, and open g, then retune your g to get #g

thebassmaster
03-01-2003, 03:00 PM
C F Bb Eb G c

okay, play the 1st fret on the e string and open a, then retune the a string. then play the fifth fret on the a string and open d, and retune d. then play the fifth fret on the newly tuned d sting and open g and retune the open g . then the forth on the g string, and open b then retune b. then play the fifth fret on b and open e, then retune the e. now play the octave e's and retunne the low e till its an octave apart from the high e...

i recommend waiting for simon to check this first before you try :)

d8nny24
04-02-2003, 11:02 AM
D A D D A D

I want to play Iris by the Goo Goo dolls. But I have no tuner. How would i tune to above set?

thebassmaster
04-03-2003, 05:30 AM
DADDAD

ok, first play the seventh fret e string and open a, then retunne the e string till it sounds the same.

the next bit seemed dodgy to me but this is how i thought i should be done. play open d and open g, then retune the g till it sounds the same as the d (wouldnt that be too loose?) then play your open a string and open b and lower the b string till its an octave apart from the a string, then do the octave technique again with your two e's. play the low e string (should now be d) and the high e string, then retune the high e string

looks good, great job matt, Beat!

zalan
04-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Can any one tell me how to tune to this???? (G C F Bb D G) and is it possible to tune to this using a electronic tuner????

thebassmaster
04-24-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by zalan
Can any one tell me how to tune to this???? (G C F Bb D G) and is it possible to tune to this using a electronic tuner????

ill tell you how to do it using a tuner ( i presume its not chromatic)

ok, set your tuner to the g string (3g) and play your low e string either open or 12th fret ( 12th fret may be better since its nearer to the sound of open g. do this to your high e string but bear in mind a jump from e to g is quite high so watch out for the strings. while on 3g, play the second fret on your d string, then tune that into g, making the d string an f. next set your guitar to 4d and play the second fret on your a string. tune the second fret to d, again watching out for the snapping, and this string should now be the C. now set your tuner to 2b, and play the 1st ftret on the g string, and tune that into b. and to get the D, set the tuner on 1E, and play the second fret on the b string and tune that into e.

if your tuner doesnt pick up anything, higher them a little as the tuning involves a massive shift up.

and wait for beat to check too :)

beatallica_fan
04-24-2003, 12:37 PM
ill tell you how to do it using a tuner ( i presume its not chromatic)

ok, set your tuner to the g string (3g) and play your low e string either open or 12th fret ( 12th fret may be better since its nearer to the sound of open g. do this to your high e string but bear in mind a jump from e to g is quite high so watch out for the strings. while on 3g, play the second fret on your d string, then tune that into g, making the d string an f. next set your guitar to 4d and play the second fret on your a string. tune the second fret to d, again watching out for the snapping, and this string should now be the C. now set your tuner to 2b, and play the 1st ftret on the g string, and tune that into b. and to get the D, set the tuner on 1E, and play the second fret on the b string and tune that into e.

if your tuner doesnt pick up anything, higher them a little as the tuning involves a massive shift up.

and wait for beat to check too :)

While what matt says there is absolutely correct, id advise you just to put a capo in the third fret.

thebassmaster
04-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by beatallica_fan
While what matt says there is absolutely correct, id advise you just to put a capo in the third fret.

argh...... how the hell did i miss that?????????

zalan
04-24-2003, 10:59 PM
thanx man!!!!....and ya I know about the capo but I need the 3red fret open.

beatallica_fan
04-25-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by zalan
thanx man!!!!....and ya I know about the capo but I need the 3red fret open.

Huh, unless your playing up above the 20th fret theres no advantage in tuning up, just put a capo on the third fret of standard tuning and treat 3 as 0, 4 as 1 etc etc...... It will save you a lot of strings and wont cause the stress problems on your neck tuning up 1 and a half steps might.

d8nny24
05-20-2003, 09:44 AM
hello

Tuning for IRIS byt the goo goo dolls. I think its dadddd. How would i achieve this?

Thankx

thebassmaster
05-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by d8nny24
hello

Tuning for IRIS byt the goo goo dolls. I think its dadddd. How would i achieve this?

Thankx

you asked earlier in the thread, though you said it was daddad :p: just go back a page

oil_fran
05-28-2003, 08:37 AM
ummmmm DAFCGC. thats for system of a down right? i must be the only loser who cant do that....

d8nny24
05-28-2003, 09:07 AM
open g tuning any one........

thebassmaster
05-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by oil_fran
ummmmm DAFCGC. thats for system of a down right? i must be the only loser who cant do that....

dont you mean CGCFAD???

drop c (c g c f a d)

tune everything down a whole step (see above) and then play the seventh fret on your low e string (which now should be d) and open a (which now should be g). detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C F A D. this is static-x's favourite tuning

thebassmaster
05-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by d8nny24
open g tuning any one........

just put a capo on the third fret???

wait for beat to give approval

beatallica_fan
05-28-2003, 12:48 PM
just put a capo on the third fret???

wait for beat to give approval

lol, not quite mate, open G is DGDGBD, im sure it was covered in the tuning thread in archives.

thebassmaster
05-29-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by beatallica_fan
lol, not quite mate, open G is DGDGBD, im sure it was covered in the tuning thread in archives.

lol nevermind

here we go

right play 7th fret on E string and open a, then retune the E String till it sounds the same. then play the 5th fret on the low E string and open A, but this time retune the A string. now play the 3rd fret on the b sting and high open e, then retune the e string till it sounds the same as third fret b, and hey presto, done

checked and approved

oil_fran
05-29-2003, 07:07 AM
dont you mean CGCFAD???

drop c (c g c f a d)

tune everything down a whole step (see above) and then play the seventh fret on your low e string (which now should be d) and open a (which now should be g). detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C F A D. this is static-x's favourite tuning hmmm thats not what all the tabs say but if thats it then wow....i already knew it

thebassmaster
05-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by oil_fran
hmmm thats not what all the tabs say but if thats it then wow....i already knew it

im pretty sure im right, i think the tabs got it back to front

LPMeteora21
06-08-2003, 04:21 PM
And how do you tune Gb Db Ab Db Gb Bb, as in Mike Mushok's guitar?

thebassmaster
06-09-2003, 03:24 PM
okay, after talking this over with simon, we decided the best way to go about this tuning would be to use a capo

play open E and the 9th fret on a, then drop the e string. then open A and 7th fret on the d string, then retune a. then play the fitfh fret on the g string and open b, then retune the b string, then whack a capo on fret 6, i think thats right.

wait for simon to double check

beatallica_fan
06-09-2003, 04:34 PM
okay, after talking this over with simon, we decided the best way to go about this tuning would be to use a capo

play open E and the 9th fret on a, then drop the e string. then open A and 7th fret on the d string, then retune a. then play the fitfh fret on the g string and open b, then retune the b string, then whack a capo on fret 6, i think thats right.

First of all your really gonna have to start refering to me as beat, im sure very few know who this mythical Simon creature is. And to be honest i think you got your tuning round your neck mate.

'play open E and the 9th fret on a, then drop the e string'.

That would make it F# if as i presume you then tune to the 9th, but obviously when the capo goes on its up to like C, wrong way round to what i said i think, drop E to C, then put the capo on making F#

then open A and 7th fret on the d string, then retune a.

7th fret of D is already A so it wouldnt need retuning, you want to tune to the 5th fret of D.

then play the fitfh fret on the g string and open b, then retune the b string, then whack a capo on fret 6, i think thats right.

the rest is correct, however can i just confirm the tuning wanted low to high (E-e) is Gb Db Ab Db Gb Bb, seems an odd one to me, its not supposed to be the other wat round is it?????

thebassmaster
06-10-2003, 02:03 AM

bloody hell, ive only just worked out how much i messed that up.

1) i meant 9th fret on E and open A then retune the E string
2) play 7th fret on a and open d, then retune the a string
3)then the forth fret on b and open e, then retune the b.
4)whack a capo on fret 6.

that better?

beatallica_fan
06-10-2003, 12:11 PM
bloody hell, ive only just worked out how much i messed that up.

1) i meant 9th fret on E and open A then retune the E string
2) play 7th fret on a and open d, then retune the a string
3)then the forth fret on b and open e, then retune the b.
4)whack a capo on fret 6.

that better?

much improved!

LPMeteora21
06-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Okay...still a little confused...Yeah, that's the tuning, or at least that's what the tab said...

thebassmaster
06-13-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by LPMeteora21
Okay...still a little confused...Yeah, that's the tuning, or at least that's what the tab said...

whats the tab and ill have a look :cheers:

LPMeteora21
06-13-2003, 10:00 PM
How do you tune to...C#, F#, B, E, G#, C#, like for Chevelle?

thebassmaster
06-14-2003, 02:29 PM
i believe thats everything one and a half steps down

1. play the 8th fret on e and open a, then retune the e string/
2. play the 5th fret on e and open a and retune the a string
3. play the 5th fret on a and open d and retune the d string
4. play the 5th fret on d and open g and retune the g string
5. play the 4th fret on g and open b and retune the b string
6. play the 5th fret on b and open e and retune the e string

nirvanaozzie
06-16-2003, 09:55 PM
here's how to change strings properly:

take the string in one hand and pull ith through the tuning peg and pull it as tight as you can. take the string and grasp it at the nut with your other hand then pull it from teh nut to the first fret, all teh while maintaining the tension in your otehr hand. bend the string behind the tuning peg so it won't come off easily. now, start turning your tuner with one hand and in the same hand grasp a hold of the excess string. in the other hand keep the string as tight as possible by holding it high above the fretboard (you could also hold it to the side, it doesn't really matter where you hold it or in which direction you stretch it, just as long as there is alot of tension). Keep going maintaining as much tension as possible until your string is in tune. Once it is in tune gras it in your fingers and pull it all ove rhte place, yank it in all sorts of directions much farther tahn you would ever bend it. This will detune it badly, simply retune it. Repeat the process of severely detuning t and retuning it until you can no longer detune it. Repeat that step with all your strings and viola, you have a guitar that'll stay in tune for quite a while (unless you mess with alternate tunings alot and don't use those steps for each time you tune strings differently) You should make a note to never tune from a note that's too sharp to the proper one as that loosens alot the tension you've created and makes you need to stretch the strings alot more.

oh yeah, chuuuch

BadReligion
06-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Drop Db tuning? I think the strings are Db, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, eb

thebassmaster
06-23-2003, 06:17 PM
(c# g# c# f# a# d#) (the same as badreligion mentioned

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the 7th fret on low e and open a, then retune the e string.

this seems a but shakey for me so wait fo beat to check :cheer:

BadReligion
06-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Ok, that sounds good! Thanks man!:cheers:

erniesballs321
07-05-2003, 10:46 PM
how do you tune 2 steps down, Eb Bb F# C# B# C#

thebassmaster
07-06-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by erniesballs321
how do you tune 2 steps down, Eb Bb F# C# B# C#

i dont think the tuning you listed is two steps down, which do you want?

erniesballs321
07-06-2003, 10:45 AM
i dont think the tuning you listed is two steps down, which do you want?

ahhhhh hahahhaahah sorry i messed up, i wrote the tuning backwords because im retarded.
2 steps down= C# B# C# F# Bb Eb
thats it

thebassmaster
07-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by erniesballs321
ahhhhh hahahhaahah sorry i messed up, i wrote the tuning backwords because im retarded.
2 steps down= C# B# C# F# Bb Eb
thats it

thats still not two steps down :p:

im thinking you want half a step down with the low e dropped down a step? in which case it would be c# g# c# f# Bb Eb that the one you want?

erniesballs321
07-06-2003, 11:46 AM
thats still not two steps down :p:

im thinking you want half a step down with the low e dropped down a step? in which case it would be c# g# c# f# Bb Eb that the one you want?
thats what i want, the tab im looking at says 2 steps down and then they say C# G# C# F# Bb Eb
ok so how do i tune my guitar to that?

thebassmaster
07-06-2003, 11:53 AM
tuning down half a step and drop e (c# g# c# f# a# d#)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the 12th fret on bottom e and the open d (now c#), and detune e till it sounds the same as the open d

you could try it but i think i need beat to double check that one

fighter_pilot
08-05-2003, 03:48 AM
hi i'm a big limp bizkit fan and i need to tune my guitar like this:

C# F# B E G# C#

could anyone help plz, and could u explain it taking into account i'm in standard tuning?

btw is this called tuning one n half steps down? i'm not sure but i think so...

many thanks
zaahir

thebassmaster
08-05-2003, 06:01 AM
i t hink it is one and a half steps down

anyways, play 8th fret on low e and open a, then retune e
then fifth fret on e and open a and retune a
then fifth fret on a and open d, then retune d
then fifth fret on d and open g, then retune g
then forth fret on g and open b, then retune b
then fifth fret on b and open high e, then retune e

so basicallly waht i did is i lowered the first string by one and a half steps, then poceeded to tune how i normally tune from there.
but someone double check, and have fun

fighter_pilot
08-06-2003, 02:47 AM
yeah i know thats tuning one n half steps down....but is that C# F# B E G# C# ??? i dunt know....thats wat i wanna find out...if it isnt, then how do u tune it?

thanx 4 ur help bassmaster
;)

kriz864
08-07-2003, 08:37 AM
AEADGB-my favorite tuning

thebassmaster
08-07-2003, 09:56 AM
you sure you want g?

not

a e a d f# b

cause everything then is five steps dropped with the e down tuned a step.....

drop a (a e a d f# b)

ok, play bottom e on the 12th fret and open a, then detune the e string till it sounds the same as the a. then play the seventh fret on the newly tuned e string and open a, then detune the a string. then play the fifth fret on the a string, ,then open d, then detune the d string, then play the fifth fret on the d string, then open g and detune the g. now, play the FORTH on the g string (should now be tuned into a d) and open b, then detune the b, then play the fifth on the b string, and the high e, then detune the high e.

however, if you want g

ok, play bottom e on the 12th fret and open a, then detune the e string till it sounds the same as the a. then play the seventh fret on the newly tuned e string and open a, then detune the a string. then play the fifth fret on the a string, ,then open d, then detune the d string, then play the fifth fret on the d string, then open g and detune the g. now, play the fifth on the g string (should now be tuned into a d) and open b, then detune the b, then play the forth on the b string, and the high e, then detune the high e.

please could someone check the two?

kriz864
08-07-2003, 11:19 AM
I use AEADGB simply because a normal 7-string is BEADGBE- I just took off the last string and dropped from B to A like dropping from E to D.

BTW, I have an electric tuner, so I tune the low E-string by the tuner and tune the rest of the strings by ear.

Another good thing is that AEADGB with a capo at 2 is like a 7string, capo at 3 is like drop C tuning, capo at 4 is like drop Db/C#, etc.

fighter_pilot
08-08-2003, 06:12 AM
um, a quick question....how do know WAT EXACTLY the standard tuning is?? i mean....err....i dunno how to explain it.....hmm. how do u know how tight the strings should be? how do u know that THAT TENSION is standard tuning, and that u're not a step down or watever? is there a way of knowing? :confused:

i hope u guys understand wat i'm tryin to ask lol

thanks

thebassmaster
08-08-2003, 07:07 AM
i take it you havent got a tuner. well theres two things you could do

take a song (i take tenacious d) and tune it to that. the first chord is a) or

http://www.geocities.com/hack_ppls_msn/Standard_guitar_tuning.mp3

^online tuner