tele vs strat

PDA

View Full Version : tele vs strat

no offense
03-02-2005, 11:00 PM
I looked and I didnt find this kind of thread started before. Ok so Im gonna get a new guitar. Either a fender standard tele or standard strat. i was wondering if people that have actually play these instruments could compare them. Even if they are a better for completly different styles.(I dont know what styles they are better for.) I play any kind of music. Blues, classic rock, metal,punk, country, and anything else. which guitar would be better over all. and please state why you think its better.

thewho4u
03-02-2005, 11:02 PM
dunno about the rest of you but, I love my tele, its pretty:p: and plays real nice-like.

GuitarN00b
03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
go try both of them...

socialtool
03-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Yeah they are both very versatile guitars in my opinion...There are benefits to both, and reasons to consider one better, but it's all in prefrence..

Zepp_head
03-02-2005, 11:10 PM
DO NOT GET A MEXICAN STRAT I HAVE ONE ITS A PICE OF CRAP UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO PUT A NEW TREM SOME LOCKING TUNERS AND SOME DUNCAN PICK UPS ON IT DO NOT GET ONE GO FOR THE TELE

Masknought
03-02-2005, 11:15 PM
tele, but thats becuase that is my style of music, the standard has the bridge pickup at a 45 degree angle and that gives you a very twangy country-like sound. ive seen some bands like metallica use them but you can definantly tell its a tele. so i would think in a way its a little limiting but nothing that would inhibit you from playing whatever you want. and there is nothing wrong with the standard strat... its fine in my opinion.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
03-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Zepp_head
DO NOT GET A MEXICAN STRAT I HAVE ONE ITS A PICE OF CRAP UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO PUT A NEW TREM SOME LOCKING TUNERS AND SOME DUNCAN PICK UPS ON IT DO NOT GET ONE GO FOR THE TELE

What the hell are you talking about? with a good setup, MIM Strats are amazing for the price...

colen
03-02-2005, 11:16 PM
ALL CAPS MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A GOMER!

i persionaly like the telecaster better but its all your choice

Evian
03-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Try them out yourself...They're very versitile guitars...They can play almost anything. A jack of all trades. Its your money not ours...

selloutpunx
03-03-2005, 07:57 AM
get a fat strat.

GHJ
03-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Personally I prefer the tele, although I have never actually played a fender strat, but I love my tele.

SlipAway
03-03-2005, 05:05 PM

My MIM Strat is just fine. Not at all a "pice of crap." The pick ups, I agree, aren't amazing, but easily fixed. A new tremelo and locking tuners aren't necessary though. Then again, this is all up for him to decide...

fractured
03-03-2005, 05:09 PM

SHut up, I have a mexican strat and it makes my penis swell with joy every time I pick it up, its all the luck of the draw.

It doesn't matter which you get because they're both versitile guitars, you can put Seymour Duncan Hotrails in either of them, and you can get stacked single coils for both too I think.. so you can get a chunkier heavier sound out of them if you wanted.. but they're both for the same kind of music basically, blues/country/rock (like the 60s-late 70s ish)

It just depends on the neck, neck joint/acess (single or double cutaway) and a tremelo arm..

I really think a strat is more of a lead guitar because of its neck access and tremelo arm with a more profile neck.. whereas a tele is a rythm guitar with a chunkier neck and less acess to the upper frets..

but just try them and find a preference, both of them are great guitars.

Logz
03-03-2005, 05:18 PM

Dear god, attack of the killer caps. I think my eyes are about to fall out....

And strats are cool. It sounds to me like your just trying to think of random things to upgrade the strat with. Locking tuners will not make it sound any better. Noob.

And i have a strat, and its brilliant. I dont much like teles but i would still have one.

frodoisdead
03-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Both are great guitars but i prefer the tele, it gives me the tones i want to better effect than the Strat.

NiCk HiMsElF
03-03-2005, 05:27 PM
I love my fat strat

gowdyjames
03-03-2005, 05:54 PM
tele

ath
03-03-2005, 05:56 PM
both are quality guitars, ive played both, and they are similar.
i myself prefer teles, simply on looks, i just prefer the shape
i wouldnt actually buy either of these guitars, i dont know why
i also would prefer having a humbucker too.
just thoughts.

Smitherz
03-03-2005, 06:00 PM
the tele headstock is hideous.

ath
03-03-2005, 06:11 PM
indeed it is actually
i meant the boday shape, i just prefer it, its not just your generic electric guitar shape

ath
03-03-2005, 06:17 PM
its just under 270suid on the xchange rate atm, omg!
i just need to know postage stuff...hmm

colen
03-03-2005, 06:22 PM
hey im going to mexico pretty soon! would a mexican strat be cheapper there? if any one knows?

angusyoungwanab
03-03-2005, 07:39 PM
ive have a MIM tele and a Fernandes strat. i dunno how much of a difference between fenders and fernandes strats, but i find the strat bridge pup to be more trebly than the tele. i love my tele. can get chill-axin music, blues, punk, rock, almost anything. but you gotta them out and see what you like.

TommyWIg
03-03-2005, 07:43 PM
i like both equally. they look really good. i couldnt decide.

Mad_Gouki
03-03-2005, 07:52 PM
they are similar guitars, the stratocaster was developed to be the predecesssor to the telecaster and it was supposed to have all the improvements that guitarists wanted... i love my stratocaster, you can do anything with it and it is comfortable, and rugged.

the only real difference is that a stratocaster is a double cutaway, so you can reach the higher frets, while a telecaster is only a single, so you cant reach your thumb around the neck at the 16th fret so well...

the stratocaster has 3 single coil puckups while the telecaster i think has a humbucker and a single coil treble pickup.

they are both going to be very similar, just go to a local gutiar shop and see whick one you like the most

thegenerator
03-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Tele has two single-coils stock.

And it wasnt designed to be the SUCCESSOR to the Telecaster, just to be something different.

Revan
03-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by ath
indeed it is actually
i meant the boday shape, i just prefer it, its not just your generic electric guitar shape

That because the strat is so gorssly popular. Well, I am not the one to realy say, I own a strat and plan on buying a nicer one soon. I don't think I would buy a mexican strat, but thats your choice. Tele's are amazing, and don't get me wrong, I would love to own one. But I love my strat, and would buy another any day. Go with the strat. err, play them both... yeah now I am cool like every1 else

grungefan89
03-03-2005, 09:50 PM

God! What are you yelling about?! Please, sit down and shut up.

Anyway, I've played both the Tele and the Strat. Both are great guitars, but, when it came down to making my purchase, I chose the Strat (although it wasn't the one I played in the shop). I loved the look and feel of the Strat. The Tele was a bit less comfortable to play than the Strat (due to the fact there are no comfort contours, obviously) and, also, the Strat seemed to produce better tone than the Tele. I like the Strat so much, I'm probably going to buy another. (I'll admit, the pickups could be a little better, though, but what do you expect for $350?)

Anyway, your choice comes down to prefrence. Both are very versatile guitars and there's a lot to like about them. Go down to your local shop and give both of 'em a try. (Don't be worried about impressing the guy behind the counter. He's probably not so great. ;) :D ) That's really the only way you can decide what's right for you.

cloudnine
03-03-2005, 09:53 PM
He probably feels stupid because he didn't bother to actually PLAY his strat before he bought it and got a lemon.

Smitherz
03-03-2005, 09:56 PM
if a strat was a girl, i'd do her

no offense
03-03-2005, 11:07 PM
ok thanks guys. i was actually planning on buying the guitar online. but from the way you guys talk i should go to a shop. so thats what im gonna do. i didnt really like strats before but people here have kinda convinced me to lean that way now. thanks everyone

Revan
03-03-2005, 11:16 PM
^^ you are very welcome, and welcome to the strat owners of.... umnmm .... places....

Gn'R_Fan101
03-04-2005, 10:22 PM
teles are good for just simple chords and basic lead while strats are better for complicated chords and more advanced lead but really it comes down to the player and how they play i have played both and would prefer a strat but teles also are good guitars but personalyy i would settle for a nice 77 vintage fender strat

rhcp_guitarist
03-04-2005, 10:47 PM
strat > tele anyday!
sound, look, and feel better to play. Tekles have no contours and their jus tso uncomfortable loL!

hardrock1315
03-04-2005, 11:21 PM
I think both are excellent guitars. If you're gonna distort, though, I reccomend the Strat HSS or HH.

HomerHitter
03-04-2005, 11:30 PM
In my opionion, Telecasters are ugly as hell...

I have a Strat and I love it

Anghellic
03-05-2005, 12:48 AM
I'm not a big fan of teles. I find them aesthetically repulsive, and the tone isn't winning me over either..

angusyoungwanab
03-05-2005, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Gn'R_Fan101
teles are good for just simple chords and basic lead while strats are better for complicated chords and more advanced lead...
are you serious? not trying to attack you, but you can play metal on a stock tele if you wanted to. hopefully you have a noise gate, since the gain would make the pups feedback. i jam to incubus, unwritten law, alice in chains, etc. what im getting at is that a tele can be used just as well as a strat. i dunno, i just hate it when people look at my tele at a show and snicker/give me dirty looks cuz it looks weird, doesnt have a humbucker, isnt a HSS strat/Gibson. then they come afterwards and say they loved the sound I produced with it. sorry i just gotta protect my tele and its reputation.

nonickname
04-03-2005, 11:22 AM
i have both and thier both good,
mexican tele
japan strat 60's reissue

Leno
04-03-2005, 11:32 AM
if i had the choice, i'd go with the tele, only because playing metal on a tele would look coooooooool

nonickname
04-03-2005, 12:04 PM
one of the guitarists from slipknot use's a tele

Mildly_Retarded
04-03-2005, 08:31 PM
I prefer telecasters for now. I haven't tried one distorted yet. Some say that teles sound real thin and flimsy when distorted. :confused:

socialtool
04-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Mildly_Retarded
I prefer telecasters for now. I haven't tried one distorted yet. Some say that teles sound real thin and flimsy when distorted. :confused:

Mine isn't. I usualy find that Strats are thinner than telecasters. I have a lot of bottom end and mids with my telecaster.

metallikatt
04-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Smitherz
the tele headstock is hideous.
agreed...but its sound makes up for its ugliness ^.^

Mildly_Retarded
04-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by metallikatt
agreed...but its sound makes up for its ugliness ^.^

:) Yes.

nuketheducks
04-04-2005, 03:48 AM
Im not sure if there are standard strats that come with a hard tail but ive played an american strat hard tail and its a nice happy medium between a strat and a tele

Metallica_361
04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
dude whoever said MIM strats are a piece of crap can go die
i have a MIM strat with a satin finish its great! only thing i didnt like was the pickups , i went ahead and put some vintage noiseless strat pickups on it now she sounds Great!! cant beat the price on a MIM strat either

:cheers:

indeedyes
04-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Tele probably. Strats are too generic.

Calum_Barrow
04-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Strat. only slightly though: i love teles too.

jump_haround
04-04-2005, 02:52 PM
I used to like strats, but now I prefer the body shapes of teles. The only thing i hate is the headstock, it looks pathetic. It was designed when wood was rationed, then they never bothered to change it. I cant really say anything about the sound of each though, I've only tried one tele.

Revan
04-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by angusyoungwanab
are you serious? not trying to attack you, but you can play metal on a stock tele if you wanted to. hopefully you have a noise gate, since the gain would make the pups feedback. i jam to incubus, unwritten law, alice in chains, etc. what im getting at is that a tele can be used just as well as a strat. i dunno, i just hate it when people look at my tele at a show and snicker/give me dirty looks cuz it looks weird, doesnt have a humbucker, isnt a HSS strat/Gibson. then they come afterwards and say they loved the sound I produced with it. sorry i just gotta protect my tele and its reputation.

You can play anything on any guitar, look at Ted Nugent, playing rock on a jazz style guitar. Alot of times playing metal is just about the amp settings, cranks the low and put a thick distortion on it and you have a great metal sound.

TheFatman
04-04-2005, 07:41 PM
I have a Strat and its an all around good guitar.

Gibson_Left
04-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Wow.. Why would you buy either of them? lol just kidding. I would go with the Telecaster, because it's not so damn twangy.

The5thBeatle
04-04-2005, 07:48 PM
i would love a tele with a trem, it would be amazing, i would like the tele

Mildly_Retarded
04-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Gibson_Left
Wow.. Why would you buy either of them? lol just kidding. I would go with the Telecaster, because it's not so damn twangy.

Telecasters are the ones with the twang, my friend. But I get what you mean about the tone of the strat.

grungefan89
04-04-2005, 10:30 PM
People are still replying? The guy got his rig, so what else is there left to say?

BTw, I got another Strat. Love it.

FeatherBreeze
04-04-2005, 10:49 PM
You probably wont read this but if you get a mexican strat and put noiseless pickups on it its great for just about any thing, except metal.....unless you have a good amp
the tele is good, but like my good friend jimi hendrix once said "A Telecaster only has two settings, a good one and a bad one"
i prefer strats because theyre so versatile and really pretty too

no offense
04-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by grungefan89
People are still replying? The guy got his rig, so what else is there left to say?

hahaha. yeah people this guy is right. i decided to go with a 3-tone sunburst standard fat strat. its great. and thanks for all the help. i ended up just going to shop and trying them out. and got this one thanks for all the help though

joshsirjoshules
04-06-2005, 07:15 AM

i have a mexican strat and it plays fine, but i am gonna get a new tremolo block for it soon...

xNEO-SHREDDERx
04-06-2005, 10:08 AM
tele is a good clean guitar and a strat is a very versitle guitar
go with the strat

lookie here
08-06-2005, 06:23 PM
tele

master_of_doom
08-06-2005, 06:35 PM
i'm gonna make this fair

american tele : absolutly the best blues and southern style guitar ever

american strat : still a little southern but more of a rock guitar kinda more toward classic rock

it all depends on you try them both see what u like, its not like any one here can tell you what u like

billebob666
09-09-2007, 09:38 AM
get an ESP

sjmason1
09-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Ok, I'm no expert but here's what i think:

i personally prefer the tele, sure its kinda ugly.but there is something quirky and ruggedly handsome about the tele compared to its supermodel pretty boy brother - the stratocaster.

Although the telecaster is often described as having a brighter, more 'twangy' sound (than even the strat), there is one particular telecaster that i love - the Vintage 57' Hot Rod Telecaster. With this tele, you get the bite from a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker (installed at the neck) and can really drive some les paul tones from it without all the weight of a gibson.

there is of course a hot rod 57' strat to match with a dimarzio tonezone pup installedat the bridge. this guitar also rocks.

As a John Frusciante and Hendrix lunatic i have always previously favoured the strat.it is of course a rock icon and has blessed so many genres.BUT if you look, you can find tele's that are just as versatile.

mashwoet
06-01-2010, 04:07 AM
I haven't heard the lead pickup on a strat that could match a tele!

diceksox1809
06-01-2010, 06:47 AM
either one really, i prefer the tele. but the mim strats are great too. ive found some good used ones around my area for about 275.

bebe17
06-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I love my strat. I also love Telecasters. I'd kill to have one. I'd go buy one if i had the money. I don't think they can really be compared. I think they are two completely different entities.

teamhex
06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Your insane, my mexi strat is great and barley ever goes out of tune.

Brian Krashpad
06-01-2010, 05:42 PM
I went through a phase in the early '90's when a Strat was my main guitar, but I've long since switched over to preferring Teles. But even now I keep some type of Strat (whether Fender or otherwise) in the stable for those sounds that only a Strat can make.

That said, the current tally is 3 Teles (each has different switching/pickup options), 1 Strat. ;)

http://static.flickr.com/25/64208937_f659426fdf.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/43/90598563_113a47e647.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/33/64187960_82afefb188.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/62/188512407_8a37548044.jpg

Brian Krashpad
06-01-2010, 05:45 PM
get an ESP

http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/facepalm.gif

Brian Krashpad
06-01-2010, 05:55 PM

You're insane, my mexi strat is great and barley ever goes out of tune.

I also had no such problems with the MIM Strat I used to own.

And Zepp Head, no need to shout.

either one really, i prefer the tele. but the mim strats are great too. ive found some good used ones around my area for about 275.

I got my '90's MIM Strat for $175, although that was quite awhile now. USA Peavey Predator Strats (similar specs to '90's MIM Strats, but with bigger frets and a 22nd fret) can be had for even less. The one I have now I got 3 years ago or so for a Benjamin even.

teamhex
06-02-2010, 08:20 AM
I also had no such problems with the MIM Strat I used to own.

And Zepp Head, no need to shout.

I got my '90's MIM Strat for $175, although that was quite awhile now. USA Peavey Predator Strats (similar specs to '90's MIM Strats, but with bigger frets and a 22nd fret) can be had for even less. The one I have now I got 3 years ago or so for a Benjamin even.
Yeah dude, I got mine in mint condition last year. Its an 04' but the guy never touched it. Paid $280 for it. All I did was set it up and throw some Erine Ball strap locks on it. Its my favorite guitar out of all of them. Next guitar is going to be a 52' reissue if I can afford it. Fender makes great stuff all the way around.

shredtil'yadead
07-21-2010, 12:09 AM
if a strat was a girl, i'd do her

strats are girls for sure, i always refer to my axe as a female specimen

shredtil'yadead
07-21-2010, 12:12 AM
I went through a phase in the early '90's when a Strat was my main guitar, but I've long since switched over to preferring Teles. But even now I keep some type of Strat (whether Fender or otherwise) in the stable for those sounds that only a Strat can make.

That said, the current tally is 3 Teles (each has different switching/pickup options), 1 Strat. ;)

http://static.flickr.com/25/64208937_f659426fdf.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/43/90598563_113a47e647.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/33/64187960_82afefb188.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/62/188512407_8a37548044.jpg

Notice the three totally different colours of maple

Brian Krashpad
07-21-2010, 03:05 AM
Notice the three totally different colours of maple

The maple itself probably looks more similar. Different manufacturers and models may use different tints or no tint at all. The Strat by Peavey has no tint, the others do.

shredtil'yadead
07-21-2010, 03:42 AM
The maple itself probably looks more similar. Different manufacturers and models may use different tints or no tint at all. The Strat by Peavey has no tint, the others do.

the black, second tele would definitely be the sexiest and my favourite

jj1565
07-21-2010, 09:31 AM
get an ESP

THIS IS WHY YOU BUMP AN OLD THREAD?

reported. for vs and for necro bump by a tool.

Eddy~
07-21-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm considering gettin a Tele. Anyone got opinions of the Squier Custom II P90?

I think Strats look very boring. :e

kangaxxter
07-21-2010, 10:22 AM
THIS IS WHY YOU BUMP AN OLD THREAD?

reported. for vs and for necro bump by a tool.

Wow. :haha:

Check the date! He posted that three years ago. Billiebob666 hasn't even been on in two years. Congratulations, though, for reporting an inactive member, I'm sure his warning will really keep him from necro-posting again, even though he stopped posting in 2008. That sure showed him.

If anything, you should reporting Mashwoet for bumping an ancient thread. (Or yourself for being "a tool".)