Suggestion Box Thread

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion Box Thread

Rankles
03-15-2005, 01:51 PM
The suggestion box is a thread devoted to article ideas and inspiration. In this thread you may suggest ideas, and use ones given. Whether you write columns or lessons, or you simply enjoy reading them, you?re always welcome in this thread. Everyone?s suggestion is welcome! The old suggestion box can be located here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85908&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1), as you will notice there is quite a bit of spam, this is why we have composed a series of rules, please follow them!

Suggestion Box Rules

1. Please do not suggest already mentioned topics!

Please check our column and lessons archive thoroughly before suggesting a column topic you would like to see written! It?s our goal to keep the archives as clean, and unique as possible.

2. Notify us when you have picked a topic!

If a particular column topic catches your eye and you?re interested in writing a column on it please post in the thread notifying us and the members. The last thing we want is multiple columns based on the same topic. It would be a shame for both the members writing and the readers!

3. Write columns you want to write!

Please do not use someone?s suggestion because you think it will receive a high star rating, along with flattering comments. Pick topics you know fairly well, and be sure that it inspires you!

4. Do not suggest biased article topics!

Please do not suggest or write articles based on a bias topic. One sided rants are not acceptable in our archive. It?s a simple concept to understand and follow, just keep your column original and be sure to include facts on both sides of the proposition.

5. Do not plagiarize!

If we catch you plagiarizing a column or lesson you will be given a warning. This is easy to follow, but you would be surprised how many disobey and steal others hard work. You may use quotes, and yes even article topics similar to theirs, but copying the article in its entirety is called plagiarizing and is not acceptable!

6. Check our archive first!

Look around the columns pages to make sure your article hasn't already been written.

7. Refrain from spamming!

Obviously, this thread is dedicated towards solid suggestion making and writing columns. All spam comments, and unnecessary comments will be deleted without notice and a warning will be handed out! Please keep it clean!

8. Suggest appropriately!

When suggesting an idea of any sorts do not be vague! Please try and include a detailed description, title, and any other information that appeals to the article in its entirety!

These eight rules were written by high voltage and will be enforced by Rankles, eeyoredragon, zappp, and high voltage! Follow these rules and you will be on your way to becoming an excellent columnist and a great contributor to UG!

slash_620
03-26-2005, 12:14 PM
someone mentioned this in site feedback but this is a new threead so meh.

what if we had a weekly style column?

say like one week we had someone writing about what punk is and what bands there are and stuff like that.

anyone else think its a good idea?

Rankles
03-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Elaborate more on what the columns would be about. We had a good set not long back that were genre specific where people wrote about a brief history of a genre and then suggested some good underground bands to listen to. Maybe we should start something like that again.

ctb
03-26-2005, 01:14 PM
In the reviews, there could be a section on tablature or lesson books and magazines maybe.

slash_620
03-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Rankles
Elaborate more on what the columns would be about. We had a good set not long back that were genre specific where people wrote about a brief history of a genre and then suggested some good underground bands to listen to. Maybe we should start something like that again.

well the origanal idea was that it would be about what theory they used so maybe it could be like 'tips to write punk' or something like that.

Rankles
03-26-2005, 01:54 PM
^ That's cool. I'll start a thread like that also.

Shreddy
04-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I think some one should write an article abou the history of UG, that would be interesting.

slash_620
04-20-2005, 02:50 PM
^i've thought about asking for that but theres a breif histpry already somewhere(in an faq or something).

i'm not sure how much you could write abou

Shreddy
04-25-2005, 12:35 AM
could someone post a link to that faq?

slash_pwns
04-25-2005, 07:38 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/misc.php?s=&action=faq

marchoso
04-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Alright, get this. We have this token right? And when you put up an article/suggestion/feedback you get one. Then, you now have a token right? Well if you gather up the most at the end of [enter time period] you win something. Something wanted; some kind of woman perhaps. I know it's a stretch but it's possible. I know it's vague but anything will spice up this place at this time.

Just trying to get a few new faces here. Good ones.

SilentDeftone
04-30-2005, 07:55 PM
^ Kind of like the tabbing contest, where that one guy supposedly wins a Porsche every month?

marchoso
04-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Bingo. Give 'em some motivation.

SilentDeftone
04-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Hopefully those already with lessons submitted can receive tokens. Perhaps we can also base it off the ratings of the lessons. That way we don't get an influx of crappy ones.

-SD :dance:

Danno13
05-08-2005, 09:49 AM
How about an article on MTV's effect on popular music, and the decline and fall of guitar-based rock/metal?

ghettohippygrrl
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
A) I want an article on strumming. Especially for acoustic.

B) I think the UG Lessons should get a DMusic account so they can add links to sounds in their articles. Let's be honest, seeing a bunch of Ds and Us or arrows to show up and down strums means a lot less if you can't hear it too. DMusic is free and you get 75 MB worth of space. A high bitrate wouldn't be needed for such MP3s and they'd be short, so you could probably cover all the new lessons with one account. I think we're teaching music, so we should be able to hear it. It would help greatly, IMO.

:cheers:

chinko
05-17-2005, 04:30 AM
ive seen on another forum where theyve partnered with imageshack, so when you post a new reply you get to host a number of images at imageshack, and dont need to start an account for it. i thought that would be good, and would stop alot of the comments on how to post pictures

Rankles
05-20-2005, 09:29 AM
^ Imageshack is free anyway?

chinko
05-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Rankles
^ Imageshack is free anyway?

it is, i mean, where their upload an image bit is they also have a 'host on imageshack' part, which takes you to an imageshack page with the image links, thumbnails etc

ionlylookscary
05-24-2005, 05:18 PM
would it be cool if i did a history on acdc

and like i took this report i did for school and put it on ug even it some of my sources were ug like would people like that?

oh yeah rankles- ur not a nazi are you because ur little sinature thing or whatever says nazisms and i was just wondering and if youare iv got a few choice words picked out for you but if youre not then it kinda looks like thats what youre saying (or maybe its a joke and I just dont get it) whateva

chinko
05-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ionlylookscary

and like i took this report i did for school and put it on ug even it some of my sources were ug like would people like that?

oh yeah rankles- ur not a nazi are you because ur little sinature thing or whatever says nazisms and i was just wondering and if youare iv got a few choice words picked out for you but if youre not then it kinda looks like thats what youre saying (or maybe its a joke and I just dont get it) whateva

a) post it in the contribution but
b) maybe
c) its a joke, a rather good one

a step in the reich direction :haha

ionlylookscary
05-25-2005, 05:45 PM
ha ha ha ...

i ws just a wondering

i was confused but now ...i ...get it

/\/\()()
06-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Famous people on this site???
Would it be possible at all for the leaders of UG to get Famous bassists and guitarists to have like a monthly lesson with a different person every month. I think this would be a great idea, tell me what you'll think. Or, you could have famous people be memebrs here and do what everyon eelse does here and post in the forums whenever, but still try to change people to have a little bit from every style to please everyone as best as possible instead of having a monthly lesson.

tell me what you'll think

The_Strat_Man
06-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by /\/\()()
Famous people on this site???
Would it be possible at all for the leaders of UG to get Famous bassists and guitarists to have like a monthly lesson with a different person every month. I think this would be a great idea, tell me what you'll think. Or, you could have famous people be memebrs here and do what everyon eelse does here and post in the forums whenever, but still try to change people to have a little bit from every style to please everyone as best as possible instead of having a monthly lesson.

tell me what you'll think

It'd be a good idea, but probably won't happen.

B|aZe
06-28-2005, 12:05 PM
earlier on someone mentioned to include Soundclips for Strumming patterns if they are incoorporated... i think thats a brilliant idea and was about to mention it here myself .. anyways it would be very help full if the lessons included soundclips of the licks/riffs they use as examples.. cos iv tried those lessons and i cant make head or toe of weather what im playing by following the tab is correct or not.. as a result half of the impact of the article goes to waste.

Get a Dmusic account or make a deal with anyone who will be willing to offer webspace for files to be uploaded to .. in exchange for a little advertisement.. who cares if we get bugging adverts .. as long as the meaning of the lesson is fully conveyed.

Itll be really easy .. just post a link to the file for a particular tab right under it.

Rankles
09-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Cool i get to warn someone for spam in the comatose forum.

SilentDeftone
09-22-2005, 10:38 AM
^ No spamming! Warning for Rankles :no:

;)

-SD :dance:

vegeto9092
11-08-2005, 01:26 AM
ive been playing guitar for about 3 yrs and my major problem is my pinky finger only recently have i really spent time trying to make it useful so it would nice to have a lesson on building the strength or whatever of the pinky finger

Neon Knight
12-05-2005, 06:13 AM
A) I want an article on strumming. Especially for acoustic.

B) I think the UG Lessons should get a DMusic account so they can add links to sounds in their articles. Let's be honest, seeing a bunch of Ds and Us or arrows to show up and down strums means a lot less if you can't hear it too. DMusic is free and you get 75 MB worth of space. A high bitrate wouldn't be needed for such MP3s and they'd be short, so you could probably cover all the new lessons with one account. I think we're teaching music, so we should be able to hear it. It would help greatly, IMO.

:cheers:

thats a great idea (the dmusic not the strumming)

what would also be nice is a lesson on horizontal and vertical scales and some licks using them.

1973tour
12-17-2005, 05:51 PM
They need to make a Steal This Video on shredding

GreasyGreaser
04-28-2006, 12:07 AM
please someone please do a lesson on rockabilly, please!!!!

Dutch_Apples
05-05-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm thinking of writing an article on music colleges, would this be in demand?

Sir Edwin CBE
05-23-2006, 04:47 AM
^ Sounds good.

Another idea would be an article on stretches and ways to prevent RSI and carpal tunnel syndrome in guitarists. I've recently had some problems with my picking hand ( same hand I write and use a mouse with ) and because of increased guitar playing, use of the computer and writing quickly with more tensions because it's exam time I think this would be a good contribution.

There's some animations here that would be better turned into pictures by someone with the time :

http://www.will-harris.com/yoga/rsi.html

Dancing Fool
07-16-2006, 11:59 AM
In the reviews, there could be a section on tablature or lesson books and magazines maybe.
Yeah, that is a good idea. I've been thinking about doing that, but there would be nowhere to put it under.

rhoads4ever
07-20-2006, 02:45 AM
I was reading some stuff and had an idea to do like a Junkyard column on the politically and idoit charged masses because of their fave bands. I want to write it so it hits on why political music today is embarrassing to the true anti-government type things. anyone following me here?

UMadeMeRealise
08-01-2006, 08:48 PM
I was reading some stuff and had an idea to do like a Junkyard column on the politically and idoit charged masses because of their fave bands. I want to write it so it hits on why political music today is embarrassing to the true anti-government type things. anyone following me here?

Good idea.

acefrehley
08-03-2006, 05:47 PM
i think there should be a section of origional music on ug. by the guitarist that use ultimate guitar.

loonyguitarist
08-04-2006, 09:24 AM
^ http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=51

:)

Alec Freeman
08-05-2006, 08:32 PM

Uhh...I submitted an AC/DC guitar method lesson (yet to be approved) although I must say I like your idea for a fully history lesson. Maybe someone here would like to rise up to the challenge?

elvenkindje
08-07-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm thinking of doing a jazz soloing lesson.. Or perhaps a series of them, since I doubt that all of my ideas fit in one lesson. Would that be a nice idea, or wouldn't it be helpful, since it's not a common style around here?

Edit: Now I feel dumb, since Logz is probably going to cover this with his modal lessons.. :o I guess I'll just help him out by checking his stuff.

Logz
08-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Edit: Now I feel dumb, since Logz is probably going to cover this with his modal lessons.. :o I guess I'll just help him out by checking his stuff.

Lol, I dont really know anything about jazz.
Dont let me stop you!

Sir Edwin CBE
08-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I'd welcome a jazz lesson/series too.

elvenkindje
08-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Hmm, if that's the case, I'll think about doing it. But, I don't want to make this a short thing, since I believe there is nothing short about it! Plus, it probably won't come within two or three weeks, since I'm having school introduction camp next week!

Oh, this also means someone else has to theory-check Logz lessons during that time :p:

heiltalker2006
08-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Hmm I was thinking about an artists with disabilities thing because I thought it was cool how the def leppard drummer played with only one arm or how Tony Iommi Played with two missing fingertips. But at this point in time I don't have enough time to do it. Anyone else up for the challenge.