Any Singing Advice For A Person In Need?!?!

PDA

View Full Version : Any Singing Advice For A Person In Need?!?!

MongieChan
10-30-2002, 12:12 AM
I have been playing guitar for a while and I want to do some singing. I just want a good general singing voice like Jason Wade of Lifehouse or Johnny Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls, something like that. I think that I'm between a bass, which I don't want to be stuck in, and a baritone but I seem to go into what I think is a low voice when I sing and my range seems to get a little unstable when I start to go up the scales. I want to be able to get my range up a so I don't have to go so low when I'm singing like cover songs. Also, I can't seem to sing in a powerful voice. I really want to be able to have a fairly descent enough voice so I can write songs and sing them also. If you have been in my postion or if you have any advise you can give me, I will appreciate it a lot. Thanx.

casualty01
10-30-2002, 01:48 PM
well dude, it might sound like no help at all, but you just got to do it , and do it alot. it's like someone asking "i wanna start playing the guitar..... what do i do?" ... answer: start playing, and play alot if you want to get good, and as far as powerful, well thats to things, ego (i'll get to that in a minute) and once again practice. your lungs got to build up stamina and power and practice (as well as vocal excercises) will do that, although im no help on the vocal excersis and diaphragm training as i've never done those.

as far as ego .... well thats a problem we all have. now, ego doesnt neccesarily mean you think you're the ****. embarrasment falls under the category of ego, cause noone wants to hear themselves soundlike ****, or mess up..... but thats what ya gotta do. so just grab the bull by the horns as it were and just start singing your ass off, record yourself so you really know what you sound like and where your weaknesses are.

also, you're born with your voice bro..... we all want to sound like someone at some point, whether it be on instrument or vocals, but usually we fall short because we just don't have the identical vocal chords, nasal cavity, and skull structure as anyone else. somepeople are excellent at doing other peoples vocals, but not most. so i would say practice the vocals of people you most admire and would like to model yourself after, but don't get dissapointed when you don't soundlike them. have your own voice. cause im sure theres plenty of great vocalists , who if asked, would say they would like to sound like someone else that they admire.

Cas-:peace:

MongieChan
11-03-2002, 03:05 AM
Yeah thanx, I just wanna cover a couple of songs and it doesn't seem like my voice can do it cuz it sounds too low. I'm thinking bout getting some lessons or something to see if it helps but I dunno if it will help or be a waste of money. Anyone out there know??

lost-fun-zone
11-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Hey!

If there are particular covers you want to sing, but are too low for you remember...

you dont have to sing exactly like the recording, mix the vocal range up so it does suit you and your style
OR
if you want it the same have you tried a capo? bringing the whole song up a fret or two also helps! really, it does!

Take it easy!

Cheers,
Robyn

MongieChan
11-05-2002, 07:13 PM
No. lol i only wish they songs were too low. I meant that I can't get into the range of the songs that I want to cover because they are higher than my range goes. It's hard to like sing along with the track when it's playing so i dunno. I think my voice is like a between a bass and baritone and I just wanna sing some songs without going really low in my voice.

enzo
11-07-2002, 08:28 AM
i have the same problem. If the song is too low for your voice use a capo it will help to higher the tonality of the song. and after you will be able to sing along.

MongieChan
11-08-2002, 12:37 AM
The songs are too high. I cannot reach the high notes cuz my voice is too low. I want to be able to sing higher like in the songs i want to cover.

jimarr
11-09-2002, 11:54 PM
you can try singing an octave down, or if that's too low, then yeah, like enzo said - use a capo.

someone told me once that singing is 80% confidence, 20% voice.

djmorris
11-13-2002, 10:45 AM
jimarr

I know what you mean wanting to sing like Jonny Rzeznik. That guy can really wail. But I tell ya, some of those notes he sings are HIGH. Much higher than most rock songs today. I'm not sure which songs you're trying to do, but most songs go as high as G. On other songs, like Iris, he sings an A (and i DON'T WANT THE WORld...) I've been trying to learn how to sing for maybe 2 years now. At the beginning I had trouble singing Ds and Es... I can almost sing Iris now.. not quite. That A still sounds a bit hoarse

Anyways, that leaves you with a few options of what to do.

You could sing the song an octave lower, but that usually sounds pretty dull and boring. And then its hard to sing the lower parts. Here's some ideas
1) Practice until you can sing it. Practice with some "higher" songs from bands like U2, Goo Goo Dolls, Sloan, Creed, etc. Might also want to try vocal exercises. Sing a note, then sing a semi-tone higher. Try oooos and oohhhs and ahhhs and heys
2) Pick easier songs to sing.
3) Transcribe the song in a different key. This can be kinda tough to do, though works well if you're just strummin along
4) Tune your guitar down 1 or 2 semi tones. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to sing an F than it is to sing a G.
5) Sing the song differently. Change the melody around so you dont have to sing the high notes. Listen to some live versions of Goo Goo Dolls for some ideas. Theres a live version of Black Balloon
that really rocks, but Jonny doesn't sing any of the high notes. You can make up some cool vocal lines, and not worry about your voice cracking.

And when actually singing, try this
1) drink something. I find some water, milk or juice helps the singing voice a bit. Carbonated beverages on the other hand dont help much at all
2) After singing a high song, sing a low song to give your voice a break.
3) When the high notes come, you gotta just belt it out. Like that casuality guy was saying... As soon as you hesitate, you're bound to choke or crack.

Thats my advice. I'm no expert or anything. Heck, I'm not even a singer. Though I found this works for me when I'm trying to sing. Mostly it takes time though. Good luck

djmorris
11-13-2002, 10:46 AM
that was meant to be addressed to mongie, not jimarr.

And I misspelled casualty.

My bad

MongieChan
11-27-2002, 10:39 PM
alright ill try that. also, today i recorded myself and i thought that it was like terrible. Does anyone know if singing in falsetto helps your voice in any way or does it like make it worse? And what did some of you do when u first started to to sing? did anyone out there sucked when they started to sing and like got better as time progress??

Twiggy5
11-27-2002, 10:40 PM
Try drinking warm drinks to keep your throat in good shape

2doorsdown
11-30-2002, 03:16 AM
Well, your voice will not affect your composing skills
IN FACT, on of the greatest song writer, i forgot his name, i would ask my mom but she is asleep, well that guy (the song write) couldn't sing well.... it was all outta tune. .

but he made it as an accomplished song writer..

anyway your voice getts better in practice.. but don't strain it, that'll just make it alot worst... Don't screw when you can't reach a tone, or force the tone out with all your strength. that hurts your voice to... You voice gets better though practice, as everyone always says. Your voice is one of the hardest thing to train. And also it could be your voice is breaking, happens to everyone at a peroid of their life. And use a guitar tunner to get your voice in perfect shape

casualty01
12-03-2002, 03:52 AM
ok enough ..... no more arguing.

Im leaving the thread open in case people have some more constructive things to say than the posts i've deleted.

but knock off the bull**** please. ty

Cas-:peace:

geekynerd
12-03-2002, 07:56 PM
playing a woodwind or brass or any instrument that u have to blow in builds up lung capacity a lot quicker than singing does, in my opinion.

also it's less dull

and you learn how to play a trumpet :)

that's just my two cents and my personal preference, but experiment and do whatever works for you

Radray990
12-04-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by MongieChan
alright ill try that. also, today i recorded myself and i thought that it was like terrible. Does anyone know if singing in falsetto helps your voice in any way or does it like make it worse? And what did some of you do when u first started to to sing? did anyone out there sucked when they started to sing and like got better as time progress??

i think i have a pretty good voice when im singing into a microphone, but i recorded myself and it sounded really crappy. idunno, it just sounded different and kinda girly too. anyway, i think falsetto singing sounds really crappy and like a girl. id say just try singing from your gut. if you really put power into it from your gut, it probably wont crack as much. i have to sing in a middle school chorus thats only alto and soprano, but im a tenor. it really sucks, and my mouth kills after singing cuz i have to open it so wide to get the high notes. theres an odd stage between my falsetto and my regular voice that i just cant reach. when i try to hit notes in that range, it just sounds like air, like after you scream for a while and then you cant scream anymore.

FroDaddy
12-04-2002, 07:30 PM
Someone please tell me what falsetto is.

A Trace of Doubt
12-04-2002, 07:46 PM
thats when you sing with your "false" voice in order to reach a high note that you wouldnt be able to if you sang normally.
im not sure how to explain it.... try to imagine a guy imitating a girl's voice or just trying to sing a high song...youll get what i mean

FroDaddy
12-04-2002, 08:48 PM
So Dave Matthews is a prime example huh? ...if I understand you correctly.

A Trace of Doubt
12-04-2002, 10:53 PM
nnnnoooo....
more like... axel rose

its tough to explain - so heres a few different explanations

ibledonstages: Falsetto IS MAKING YOUR VOICE HIGHER FOR HITTING HIGHER NOTES ITS A FALSE VOICE ITS NOT YOUR NORMAL VOICE

Dmal : Its like tremelo with your own voice

Radray990
12-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by FroDaddy
Someone please tell me what falsetto is.

my music teacher used to cll it your "mickey voice", as in mickey mouse. if you use a falsetto when talking, you sounds like you were just kicked in the balls. you have to use your gut.

MongieChan
12-05-2002, 07:18 PM
anyone know a singer who sings with a falsetto that sounds good? I can like hit the pitches of songs that i am covering in falsetto but it's a little harder to hit them when im sing ing in my low chest voice that i have.