Offical "My Band" Thread. Post all Questions regarding your band HERE.

PDA

View Full Version : Offical "My Band" Thread. Post all Questions regarding your band HERE.

Pages : [1] 2

casualty01
06-03-2005, 05:23 PM
ok... the last one was rather old and stagnant, and people seem to be ignoring, just not noticing it or feel they won't get a decent answer because it's so old... who knows.

either way, here's a new one. (the old one has been moved to the archives. if you had an open question going in the old one, please feel free to repost it in here. I apologize for the inconvenience.)

please use this thread and only this thread to post your band related questions/advice.

Rules Of The Thread

only 2 rules. failure to heed these rules will result in warnings. no exceptions. so please read them to avoid any confusion.

no spam - pretty self explanitory. either post a question an answer or an update (i.e. a thank you if the answer helped, or an update on how everything worked out). that's it.

no flaming - people are here to learn and or help others... there is no reason for any nasty comments or hateful posts. if you need further elaboration... read on.

- no flipping on out some member that tried to help but didn't answer the way you liked. perhaps they didn't understand the question as you intended. if you don't like an answer or think it wasn't very helpful say so but be respectful and perhaps try to re-word or re-explain what you meant.

- no random insults about someones band situation, their style of music or if you think their question is silly. everyone has their own style and level of knowledge... so while a question might seem "silly" or "pointless" to you, to them it might be a serious problem they're having. be respectful.

Some Tips For A More Detailed And Helpful Response

Explain your question as clearly and as detailed as possible.

below are some of the more common questions... not complete by any stretch of the imagination, but the more frequent ones have been covered and examples given to help give you an idea of what kind of things need to be related to the users in order to get a much better response to your situation.

Setlist Help - if you need help with set list development don't just say "hi, we're playing a show in a couple of months and I was wondering what songs we should learn to play? and in what order should we play them??"

in this instance some things to include would be...

what style you play. - no point telling you to play Sweet Home Alabama if you're primarily a hardcore coverband

list of tunes you guys already know. - again this will help people get a feel for what type of stuff you play and will provide them something to work with in helping you to create a setlist.

your and your bands experience. - if you've only been playing for a couple of months then people will know better what to reccomed (i.e. some Nirvana instead of pantera lol)

what kind of crowd you're going to be playing to? - are you playing a senior home? a friends backyard barbecue? a local firehouse? an all ages show at the local club? a roadhouse dive patroned mainly be 30+ yr. old men? all of these places and situations have their own vibe and need to be considered.

what instruments do you have? - 1 guitar? 2? 3?? keyboards? individual vocalist? or does he play an instrument while singing? male or female vocalist? DJ? someone playing the spoons? all this goes a long way in recommending some songs when we know what you could or couldn't handle.

Questions On Getting a Gig - if you're wondering how to go about getting gigs, don't just ask "how do I get sum gigs?!??" .... include things like

how old you are - certain venues aren't available to you if you're below a certain age and other venues are quite readily available and willing to have you when younger (ie. firehouses, VFW's, moose clubs, various lodges, youth clubs, PBA's etc.. )

what style you play and what experience - it'd help to know what kind of stuff you play (genre? orignals? covers? mix? )and also if you have gigged before... what was the response? how many times have you played out? were you invited back?

what type of gig you're looking for - are you looking to set up a showcase? looking to get on a local bill? get a recurring gig at a place? where? do you have other bands that you know and would like to set up a small festival type venue? all these things will grealy help any answers you may get.

do you have a press kit or gig pack? - many places want a demo and a bit oof a press kit nowadays. do you have one? if not tell us a bit about your band. if so, what does it include?

all these things will grealy help any answers you may get.

questions about quitting or joining a band? - it's not gonna help you very much if you just ask "Hey I got a guitar and I love playin and I wanna be in a band what do I do??" ... or this band wants me to join them should I? or I don't like my band, should I quit? ...

things we need to know to help you better...

tell us about you - have you gigged regularly? are you a beginner? experienced? have you been in other bands? or will this be your first band .... things like that.

tell us about the band - are they a serious gigging band that needs a guitarist or bassist? or are they just in it for fun? are they looking to be a serious band but just starting out? are they people you don't really know or long time friends?

theirs and your style? - it helps to know if you click with the prospective band or if the prospective band member clicks with your band... stylistically

Motivation - would you like to join their band? why? what do you hope to get out of it? how about quitting the band... why do you want to quit? personal reasons? you don't like their style? they aren't being serious? being too serious? lol...

etc..

thinking of kicking or wanting to kick someone out of the band? - give us the details then. a simple "I wanna kick the bassist out of my band but I dun know how to do it?? should I just keep him? or just switch rehearsal days and don't tell him?".... no lol, that won't do at all. give us the dirt...

tell us about them - age? experience? general attitude and temperment? are you friends with them? or are they just someone who you play with but don't really have a relationship with?

reasons for wanting to get rid of them - is it their personality? are they just a horrible player? are they not taking it seriously? do they not click with the rest of the band as far as style goes? how about personality? are they ditching rehearsals? gigs? do they mess around during rehearsal? they forget tunes? etc.. or is it just a personal thing where you don't like them?

the rest of the band - have you talked to them about it? do they feel the same way? are they opposed? why?

etc..

Self Promotion? - ok... first a couple of things to know... cause we're not gonna be much help if all you give us is hi my band likes to play gigs and stuff but wanna know how to promote us and our shows

the band - what do you play? how long? just getting started? gigging regularly but wanna know how to get a bigger draw? have a decent following but wanna know how to go about attracting label interest? is everyone in it for the long haul? all the members doing their part?

actions so far? - what have you tried so far? radio? newspapers? fanizines? flyers around town? just word of mouth? do you have a website? is it a actual band website or a myspace or live journal site? any music up?

soliciting labels - have you done anything as far as labels are concerned? if so, what? you have a bio? a press kit? a well recorded demo of 3 or 4 of your best tunes? have you gotten any response? if so, what was the response? is your demo on CD or tape? how did you package your presskit that you sent?

etc..

again... this obviously isn't all the bases, but it should give you plenty of ideas on how to write out a well thought out clear and concise question in order to help us help you better.

thank you and enjoy :cheers:

Cas-:peace:

slash_pwns
06-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by WindJammer
I'll pose the first question.

Is anyone in a situation where you clearly have a vision for songs, and you are insecure about other band members compromising that due to them having different ideas for the same song?

Not that I discourage my band members from incorporating elements, but do you give up part of a song that you do with your band to allow for creative leeway on the part of bandmates?

I don't see myself as a control freak, because I really just want to move my ideas to music. The problem is, everyone wants to and more than often ideas don't coincide. Anyone have a way in particular of making a band more democratic without eliminating any members?

I'm in that situation. I don't feel as if any of my freinds that play guitar are quite up to the theoretical, or technical ability of my taste, but my drummer friend is great. He's been playing for ages and likes to play complicated 'fast rock'. So I showed him some of my more complicated passages, in the style of Dream Theater (you could imagine) and he was... Kinda floored. He's the only one of my friends that had seen me play, and he doesnt want to be in a band with me, because he feels my vision (I guess you could call me a complete contol freak :p: ) lacks his own creativity.

Its not bad that I write drum bass and guitar parts (keyboard, if I fell its needed) is it? Should I lay off?

Its much more understandable if you knew the age group here.... But I wont tell you that part :p:

slash_620
06-05-2005, 06:39 AM
try to use as much imput from band members as possible and maybe they will star to exceptt your ideas more.

acting to much like a control freak(not saying you r) might make your fellow band members resent you and not use your ideas to get back at you for not using theirs.

F-3
06-05-2005, 09:13 AM
How about letting band members write some songs almost individually? It could be a nice guesture if you say "Would you like to write a song?" to your bassist, who has been playing basslines made by you ...
Let others be the control freak, too :)

slash_pwns
06-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Its just me and my drummer (I suppose he is his own drummer...). I play guitars and bass, and he plays the keyboard parts a make.

He doesnt understand the entire 'playing ing the pocket' thing, so all his drum parts (Other than his solos) are bad. I'm not going to get a new drummer, because he's a great drummer (and my best fried :p: ).

StJimmy
06-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Alright, I need some help with this situation. My friend called me the other day and proposed that he wanted to jam with me and his drummer (he is already in his band). He told me that he wanted to start a side project to start a kind of pop punk/ska punk band (playing NoFx, Green Day, maybe some Social Distortion etc.). So, I went to his house and jammed with them. Everything went alright, he sang and played guitar, i played rhythm, and his friend was alright on the drums. The few problems that I have is that
1) the drummer is not good enough to play fast punk songs
2)My friend didn't seem interested whenever I suggested playing something that I liked, such as Operation Ivy, Rancid, or Nirvana.
3)I've been playing for a little over a year, and this would be my first band experience.
4) I only have a 15 watt amp, and it will probably be another few months at least before I can get a bigger one.
5)Lastly, I've written some music once before which he has taken to use for his band, then denied that I came up with the meat of it, and saying that I only figured out the basics of this song. (and everyone who has heard what he's done with this song has loved it, and didn't know that I wrote about half of it.)

The positive side is that he is one of my good friends, and I get along well with the drummer. Also, there aren't any other musicians in my school or in my neighborhood that I can start a band with so this would be one of my few oppurtunities to play in a band. So, what are your opinions?:confused:

boothy
06-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by StJimmy
Alright, I need some help with this situation. My friend called me the other day and proposed that he wanted to jam with me and his drummer (he is already in his band). He told me that he wanted to start a side project to start a kind of pop punk/ska punk band (playing NoFx, Green Day, maybe some Social Distortion etc.). So, I went to his house and jammed with them. Everything went alright, he sang and played guitar, i played rhythm, and his friend was alright on the drums. The few problems that I have is that
2)My friend didn't seem interested whenever I suggested playing something that I liked, such as Operation Ivy, Rancid, or Nirvana.
3)I've been playing for a little over a year, and this would be my first band experience.
4) I only have a 15 watt amp, and it will probably be another few months at least before I can get a bigger one.
5)Lastly, I've written some music once before which he has taken to use for his band, then denied that I came up with the meat of it, and saying that I only figured out the basics of this song. (and everyone who has heard what he's done with this song has loved it, and didn't know that I wrote about half of it.)

The positive side is that he is one of my good friends, and I get along well with the drummer. Also, there aren't any other musicians in my school or in my neighborhood that I can start a band with so this would be one of my few oppurtunities to play in a band. So, what are your opinions?:confused:

1. Come on, your not telling me he can't do a simple fast beat? Nothing fancy just a rythm, it doesn't really matter if the drummings not identical to that off the original song.

2. Just say to him, mate, give me some lee-way. If you wanna jam, I'll play stuff of yours, but to be fair, I have suggested quite a few, can we run through them?

3. Your point? What a great experience to have! Nothing wrong there!

4. That should be OK for jammin', and if you get to gigs most venues provide amps for you to use.

5. Is this your mate who's done it? You need to have a serious go at him. What kind of a mate is that?

Hope this helps ya, now onto WindJammer's question :D

:cheers:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone in a situation where you clearly have a vision for songs, and you are insecure about other band members compromising that due to them having different ideas for the same song?

Not that I discourage my band members from incorporating elements, but do you give up part of a song that you do with your band to allow for creative leeway on the part of bandmates?

I don't see myself as a control freak, because I really just want to move my ideas to music. The problem is, everyone wants to and more than often ideas don't coincide. Anyone have a way in particular of making a band more democratic without eliminating any members?

Well, I have been in the same situation many times. Normally, when you write a song as a band, it should be just that - as a band. Everyone has an input, and you take the best from everyones input, collectivly as a band.

However, sometimes theres a few songs that are yours, and if you go about the write way, your band members will notice you really want this song to be how you want it, and while they still should suggest things, they may accept being told that their idea won't work. This works both ways - they should be allowe domse of "their own songs" aswell.

Just don't have more than one or 2 songs that you are going to want to use the latter method I have just mentioned, or you will dominate the band - you'd be like Mark Knofler without the fame and money, and your band would split quicker.

Hope this helps! :cheers:

Stula1031
06-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Ok i understand you in this situation. What i would do is keep all your new material away from this band dont even tell them you have it. Then take credit for your stuff and step up. Look around secretly for some other musicians who are more your style and that wont steal your mind. Then leave and work on your secret material with the new band.

Baba O'Riley
06-07-2005, 12:26 PM

Ok, there's nothing wrong with being the only songwriter in a band. I would see if your band mates can contribute to the songs. If they can't then don't bother with it. If they can then great.

Originally posted by slash_pwns
He doesnt understand the entire 'playing ing the pocket' thing, so all his drum parts (Other than his solos) are bad. I'm not going to get a new drummer, because he's a great drummer (and my best fried :p: ).

I'm sorry but if he can't understand what it means to play in the pocket than he's not a great drummer. The most important part of drumming is keeping good time. If he can't do that than he can easily ruin songs. It doesn't matter how good his fills are or how fast he is if he can't keep good time.

When I first started playing with my drummer he had terrible time. To help fix this I had our gig flimed and then when we watched it I pointed out spots where he did a fill and then did not come back in our time. Since then he has worked on his timing and gotten considerably better. I advise you do the same.

1.) The drummer can be replaced if he can't learn to do it or it may not be an issue if you don't play the songs.
2.) Well this is proof of him not being open minded which may lead to problems in the future.
3.) That's fine. As long as you play well everything's good.
4.) Until you get a gig that shouldn't be a problem. Also remember that you can rent amps for a gig.
5.) That is not cool. You shouldn't let him take credit for your stuff.

I say ride it out for a bit longer. Tell him that he can't take credit for things you did. If he does it again then leave.

rageandlove04
06-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Allright, I have a bit of a problem. I'm in a contemporary christian worship band (I play guitar) and we're considered to be one of the better church bands in my area. My problem is that about a year after we had formed (almost a year ago) this kid who 'plays' guitar decided that he should be in the band, without asking anyone, and he's totally dragging everyone down. He has several awful sounding guitars, a bad amp, no rhythm, no musical sensibility, he's tone deaf, he has very little fret hand coordination, even less right hand coordination and technique, more often than not forgets his tuner, capo, strap and cables, he refuses to even attept to use his ear and instead watches me for the chords (and plays them wrong) and is completely dependant on his chord sheets but can't really follow those either. Not to mention the fact that he's a big dick and it's somehow my fault when he messes stuff up, which is quite often. He's only in it to be cool, even though I told him playing acoustic guitar in a church band isn't exactly impressive. Now, you're probably thinking "Fire him, you dumbass", right? Well, his mom is the pastor, and we are a church band, so sadly that's not gonna happen. Oh yeah, on the music, the little 'm' next to the letter of the chord can mean either major or minor, and #'s and b's don't mean anything. Everything was going great until he joined, and I have no idea what to do now. Mommy totally ignores the fact that he's screwing everything up, but everyone else knows whats going on and we've all tried getting through to him. But, from a 15 year old prespective, everyone else has the problem, not you so that's worked really well. I don't know. It seems like an impossible situation. I've spent a lot of time trying to teach him stuff but he ignores me or forgets everything. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't want to quit because the music we do is so guitar driven that they'd be screwed without a real guitar player (and I can't find a replacement for me) and I do enjoy playing with this band when things do go right (he was gone this weekend and we played twice :D). I just want to resolve some of these problems soon because we're scheduled to play a lot this summer, and the shows we play are typically in front of 150-300 people. Thanks.

boothy
06-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by rageandlove04
Allright, I have a bit of a problem. I'm in a contemporary christian worship band (I play guitar) and we're considered to be one of the better church bands in my area. My problem is that about a year after we had formed (almost a year ago) this kid who 'plays' guitar decided that he should be in the band, without asking anyone, and he's totally dragging everyone down. He has several awful sounding guitars, a bad amp, no rhythm, no musical sensibility, he's tone deaf, he has very little fret hand coordination, even less right hand coordination and technique, more often than not forgets his tuner, capo, strap and cables, he refuses to even attept to use his ear and instead watches me for the chords (and plays them wrong) and is completely dependant on his chord sheets but can't really follow those either. Not to mention the fact that he's a big dick and it's somehow my fault when he messes stuff up, which is quite often. He's only in it to be cool, even though I told him playing acoustic guitar in a church band isn't exactly impressive. Now, you're probably thinking "Fire him, you dumbass", right? Well, his mom is the pastor, and we are a church band, so sadly that's not gonna happen. Oh yeah, on the music, the little 'm' next to the letter of the chord can mean either major or minor, and #'s and b's don't mean anything. Everything was going great until he joined, and I have no idea what to do now. Mommy totally ignores the fact that he's screwing everything up, but everyone else knows whats going on and we've all tried getting through to him. But, from a 15 year old prespective, everyone else has the problem, not you so that's worked really well. I don't know. It seems like an impossible situation. I've spent a lot of time trying to teach him stuff but he ignores me or forgets everything. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't want to quit because the music we do is so guitar driven that they'd be screwed without a real guitar player (and I can't find a replacement for me) and I do enjoy playing with this band when things do go right (he was gone this weekend and we played twice :D). I just want to resolve some of these problems soon because we're scheduled to play a lot this summer, and the shows we play are typically in front of 150-300 people. Thanks.

Right first - delete one of your 2 posts, yo hit that button twice I think ;)

Secondly your question - I think you really need to slowly encourage him away - try to work him unbelievably hard - start getting a bit angry with him - emphasise and vastly exxagerate the amount of time and effort your band are gonna put in - he sounds like a lazy poser type guy to me.

If this doesn't work, try just talking to his mum, if she is decent she should understand, tell her you don't want to hurt her sons feelings or anything, and she would prbably try and encourage her son away for you.

Either them 2 or you could just bawl at him and downright tell him, thoiugh that would just provoke arguments from all corners.

I dunno, that's a tough stiuation you got there.

Hope this helps!

rageandlove04
06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by boothy
...he sounds like a lazy poser type guy to me.

Bingo. And sorry about the double post, I couldn't figure out how to delete the second one. Thanks for not being a little bitch about it.

About your first suggestion, I'll try that, but I have no power to really make him listen to me, so he can just walk away if I get to be too much of a hassle or whatever:rolleyes:

Thanks for your suggestions, and keep em comingh cause this sucks...

ILoveHarmonics
06-07-2005, 03:42 PM
to boothy:

You could just tell him so many times he sucks he will either leave or practise in a different way. You could also tell him he looks so cool that he should play a 2 minute solo next gig and let the nerves do the work (hopefully his mother notices THAT). Last suggestion I have is only to buy a triangle wich you hang on the ceiling and put a note on it wich says it's for him if he forgets a cable, capo or wathever.

Good luck.

Stula1031
06-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Wow these storys of anoying band members make me sick i hate lazy ass guys and people who take credit!

boothy
06-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Stula1031
Wow these storys of anoying band members make me sick i hate lazy ass guys and people who take credit!

Much as I agree, read the rules at the top of this thread:

Originally posted by Casualty01
only 2 rules. failure to heed these rules will result in warnings. no exceptions. so please read them to avoid any confusion.

no spam - pretty self explanitory. either post a question an answer or an update (i.e. a thank you if the answer helped, or an update on how everything worked out). that's it.

StJimmy
06-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks to boothy, stula, and Baba O'Riley for the advice. I think I'm going to just try and stick with these guys, and see where it goes. I'm not introducing any more new material until I know that this is a sure thing lol. Thanks again.

rageandlove04
06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
ILoveHarmonics, thanks for the advice (the question in boothy's post was actually mine). I like the one about the triangle...the problem is his mom is blind to any of his faults, music included. As in your crazy guitar solo idea would not work she's so blind. But good ideas

Cheers:cheers:

Corwinoid
06-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Option 1: Treat him like Sid Vicious and keep him unplugged
Option 2: Fire him. Every time someone says "It's not really an option." They need to be kicked in the nuts and told "It's really the only option, jerknuts." Realize that YOU are a public front for the church you play in, and your age doesn't matter (in fact, it'll work FOR you). Fire the little ass, and see how mommy the pastor reacts. If she throws a fit over it, throw a bigger one, and throw it in the faces of the congregation. Lady Pastor will look realllly bad, and really hypocritical for being so petty and unchristlike, and trying to force her will on a group of hard working 'children' trying to bring the message of Christ to the community.

Play it up, and welcome to the real world ;)

heggazz
06-08-2005, 06:44 AM
^Best advice so far, you shouldn't have to care how she reacts. If shes a pastor she should be really nice about it, if she's not nice about it then screw her. You can always take the good members from the band and start a separate one, not church related.

Corwinoid
06-08-2005, 07:30 AM
^ Bah. Keep it church related if you like; but realize that you are a voice in the church, and you should be, and can be, listened to.

In this, more than in a 'normal' band, IMO, you need to be outspoken to your listeners about what you want, and what they want. This is a case where you're part of a community, and you serve as part of the direction for that community. Don't let them, or another voice mislead that.

rageandlove04
06-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Corwinoid
Option 2: Fire him. Every time someone says "It's not really an option." They need to be kicked in the nuts and told "It's really the only option, jerknuts." Realize that YOU are a public front for the church you play in, and your age doesn't matter (in fact, it'll work FOR you). Fire the little ass, and see how mommy the pastor reacts. If she throws a fit over it, throw a bigger one, and throw it in the faces of the congregation. Lady Pastor will look realllly bad, and really hypocritical for being so petty and unchristlike, and trying to force her will on a group of hard working 'children' trying to bring the message of Christ to the community.

Play it up, and welcome to the real world ;)

I totally agree. Problem is, I don't have a say in who can and can't be in the band. Also, this kid can't be told what to do. He's not rebellious, just super lazy, and apparently that's ok. (my mom used to tutor him in math but not anymore because he doesn't like math:rolleyes: and mommy pastor was fine with that) So no one will fire him and no one can make him practice. I'm only 17 and there's a big age range in the band, from like 15 -45, so I'm not exactly at the to of the food chain so to speak (you know, because adults ALWAYS know better) SHould I bring up the problems in front of the whole band next practice so he can't weasel out of talking about it? Or try talking privately?

boothy
06-08-2005, 12:08 PM
^^ Bring it up in front of your band mates, if they share your views, and tell them before you do. Ask them to stick up for you, hopefully that idiot lazy dude will get the message.

SGThunderstruck
06-08-2005, 10:15 PM
We're a 13/14 year old band out of New Jersey. Punk Rock. Name: Tonic

What do you think of the name? Oh and we need a bassist

ILoveHarmonics
06-09-2005, 05:31 AM
I think punk rock bands could have just any name. :)
It's short and I like short bandnames like Zeke and Cream (really different kind of bands just in one sentence because they both have a short name :)).

heggazz
06-09-2005, 06:09 AM
^^Lol sorry bro "Tonic" is already taken by a famous band. Well at least they're famous in this part of the world. Get their song "If You Could Only See" it's pretty good. So what do I think of the name?......

SGThunderstruck
06-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by heggazz
^^Lol sorry bro "Tonic" is already taken by a famous band. Well at least they're famous in this part of the world. Get their song "If You Could Only See" it's pretty good. So what do I think of the name?......

Are you serious? Fuuuuu(k i though that name sounded awesome

chilis_rock
06-09-2005, 05:10 PM
I was in this band where the drummer was shi*t and he had like no drum lessons, the bassist was only the bassist because he owned a bass (which he couldn't play) and the other guitarist thought he was the lead even though i was. There was also always a pack of idiots sittin around our rehersal space in school. I have been playing guitar for almost four years and done a few concerts in school etc. I quit the band because it was a pathetic waste of time but they are always askin me to come back. The original drummer who was excellent left long before me but he has a new band. I'm bored and want to be in a band so should i just return and try and work something out. Any suggestions? Any reasons to rejoin or advantages? What can i do instead or how can i improve the band?

boothy
06-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Don't join their band, just agree to go to some sessions and "lend a hand". That way you are not committed, but get to try it out too.

Charlatan_001
06-10-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm the main lyricist for our band, but our lead guitarist and self-appointed band leader (despite the fact that I do most of our gig-booking and lyrics writing and contacting and sh**) says that my lyrics are "too poetic" and demands that I rewrite them so they become "grittier". All the time.

I can't write really "gritty" lyrics, that's just not my style. I told him to write his own if he doesn't lke mine, and he did, and they're horrible. Just revisions of mine.

How can we solve our dilemma w/ lyrics?

heggazz
06-10-2005, 01:54 AM
Are you the singer aswell? Just tell him to **** off and if he opposes you, take it to the rest of the band. Then if he wins you can take it however you want; have a tantrum, refuse to sing/write, quit the band, or even be gracious in defeat and save all your songs for another time. I have the same problem, in that my writing is too poetic, and my friends are constantly telling me to make the words more catchy etc but I can't seem to be able to. I think your best option, if you want to improve your lyrics, is to write them while listening to the music you are writing for, then maybe it'll help make the words flow in a more catchy, song appropriate way.

ILoveHarmonics
06-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Yes I often noticed that most bands that seem really poetci write their lyrics first and most bands with catchy lyrics write their music first and add the lyrics later. It's just a matter of taste though and if you prefere the poetic side you should stay there.

Charlatan_001
06-11-2005, 01:42 AM
I do listen to the music and write lyrics and that's how they come out.

Whatever the girls love my lyrics so that's all that matters =P

chilis_rock
06-11-2005, 12:08 PM
You should just write the lyrics that come naturally and that you like. If you force yourself to write in a different style or change things to accomodate others the lyrics will probably turn out crap. You should keep your poetic lyrics because anyone can come up with ''gritty'', sh*tty lyrics.

Freunleven
06-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Not so much a "my band" question, but it relates indirectly to my band, how we get along, and how we get along with other bands. Plus, it's a gig. Maybe not a paying gig, but a gig nonetheless.

Some of the guys and I are thinking of getting together with a couple other local bands and just having kind of an open jam night. The kind of thing where, say, our bass player jam with the drummer from one band and the guitar player from a third group. And so on and so forth.

The whole purpose is to break out of our respective ruts (we all get into 'em, right?) and explore different ways of looking at music, different styles, and different material.

Does anyone here have any advice or suggestions on how to pull this sort of thing off without encountering too many (and, yes, I know there will be many) technical difficulties?

As an example, I believe it would be best to just set up one drum kit, a PA, and let everyone who wants to jam run the output from their amps into the PA mixer. Does that sound resonable?

Anyway, your advice and guidance is desired. Heckle only if necessary.

:satan:

Baba O'Riley
06-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Freunleven
Not so much a "my band" question, but it relates indirectly to my band, how we get along, and how we get along with other bands. Plus, it's a gig. Maybe not a paying gig, but a gig nonetheless.

Some of the guys and I are thinking of getting together with a couple other local bands and just having kind of an open jam night. The kind of thing where, say, our bass player jam with the drummer from one band and the guitar player from a third group. And so on and so forth.

The whole purpose is to break out of our respective ruts (we all get into 'em, right?) and explore different ways of looking at music, different styles, and different material.

Does anyone here have any advice or suggestions on how to pull this sort of thing off without encountering too many (and, yes, I know there will be many) technical difficulties?

As an example, I believe it would be best to just set up one drum kit, a PA, and let everyone who wants to jam run the output from their amps into the PA mixer. Does that sound resonable?

Anyway, your advice and guidance is desired. Heckle only if necessary.

Ok are you organizing this event? (I assume you are) Or is it someone else's thing?

If it is your event I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Having a bunch of random musicians go up onstage and just jam together is very unprofessional. There's a good chance that it could be awful. The musicians may not jive together musically. The songs could go badly.

So am I against jamming? God no! I think that you and your band should definately jam with the other bands. I think it would be a good experience for all of you. However, I don't think a gig setting is very approriate for it.

Freunleven
06-13-2005, 01:17 PM
I get what you're saying, Baba. Those are pretty much my concerns.

This "jam" wouldn't be completely impromptu - we're discussing spending the next couple months preparing for it. There would be a whole set list, and each guy would know when and what to be playing. More an illusion of complete spontaneity than the reality thereof. Yes, the unexpected can and will happen.

The bassist from one of the other bands suggested that we start with one band, and then replace one member at a time until we have a whole different band, then again until we have the third band. Kind of like one of those word puzzles where you change one letter at a time, making a different word each time.

I appreciate the advice. Anyone else want to tell me this is a bad idea?

flyboy959
06-13-2005, 01:55 PM
My band has a drummer who tinks hes good, but can barely keep time and tries to show off over the guitar solos and screws em up, i play rythm guitar (no bass) but our Lead Guitarist is like steve Vai (only younger...and not as rich!). They are both really good friends, but i dont know if i should leave. We arent gonna kick the drummer out, cuz hes like my best friend(and no one else wnats to be in our band)! i dont know if i should leave or what
He also only wants to play metal, though i enjoy classic rock, though he is very flexable

`NeXxuS`
06-13-2005, 09:18 PM
So he has some merit to him... the drums for metal and the drums for classic rock aren't too far gone from eachother, you know.

metal drums are in an absolute league of their own.

UtBDan
06-13-2005, 10:03 PM
My drummer and me seem to be in a bit of a feud. My vocalist doesn't want anyone gone, because he seems to think that it will kill any friendships by breaking up the original lineup. My guitarist is the man, lade back but honest and ernest and sensible with band related things.

me? I'm the bassist and a bit of an ass. If you play something wrong, I will make you start over. If it shows you haven't been practicing the part or listening to a song we're gonna cover, you will get yelled at and nastily so.

my drummer, is sick. But I want him out. Why? Because he can't do **** on his own. He could play anything you tell him to learn, make the sickest drum solo. But his own drum beats suck. And he sucks at jamming. Sometimes when he does a fill in a song he loses timing (and the bad part is he never corrects himself, we all have to adjust to him). But when jamming I get really pissed off, cause he plays one beat the whole time, just at different tempos, and sometimes he stops because he gets lost.

I want him out. I think he wants me out.

My guitarist agreed to give him a little more time before he wanted him kicked out too, but, the point is

what's a gentle way of kicking out a friend, and convincing a semi-stupid vocalist friend to kick the drummer friend out?

`NeXxuS`
06-13-2005, 10:29 PM
there is no easy way about it... your drummer is gonna be mad, and your probably gonna lose a friend over it... especially if hes a drama queer...

ive kicked 2 friends outta my band... we made ammends later, but they were HIGHLY HIGHLY pissed at the time, you just have to do it... and try to be as professional as you can about it.

heggazz
06-14-2005, 02:21 AM
^ True ****. When I kicked the original bassist out of my former band he went really pissed and wouldn't talk to anyone for a couple of weeks because he thought we were all against him. All it took was time and some makings of asses and we were freinds again. Although we had to tiptoe around the subject from then on.

MyChemicalBass
06-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Well, Dan is it Under The Bed your talking about? Doesent matter really but anyway, if he cant make up anything on his own, whats the point of having him? Sure, he can cover songs, but in reality if he cant make up his own stuff then theres no hope for him. Also, there is no gentle way to do it. Just tell him, and if hes like a chick he will cry and whine about for a week or so, but yall will be friends again.

Baba O'Riley
06-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by UtBDan
my drummer, is sick. But I want him out. Why? Because he can't do **** on his own. He could play anything you tell him to learn, make the sickest drum solo. But his own drum beats suck. And he sucks at jamming. Sometimes when he does a fill in a song he loses timing (and the bad part is he never corrects himself, we all have to adjust to him). But when jamming I get really pissed off, cause he plays one beat the whole time, just at different tempos, and sometimes he stops because he gets lost.

Well if he only plays one drum beat that is not a problem if it fits the song. Look at AC/DC almost every song by them uses a standard rock beat. However, you said that he can learn any song which means he is capable of playing more. But bad timing (as you know) is a problem.
Originally posted by MyChemicalBass
Well, Dan is it Under The Bed your talking about? Doesent matter really but anyway, if he cant make up anything on his own, whats the point of having him? Sure, he can cover songs, but in reality if he cant make up his own stuff then theres no hope for him. Also, there is no gentle way to do it. Just tell him, and if hes like a chick he will cry and whine about for a week or so, but yall will be friends again.

By make up his own stuff did you mean writing songs or writing drum parts? Because if it's songwriting then it doesn't matter as long as someone in the band writes. (Unless, of course, they want to be a cover band) If he can't write his own drum parts someone can direct him. In my band my drummer is capable of writing his own stuff but I still direct him.

As for kicking him out sorry but there's no easy way to do it. My advice is to have a one on one talk with him and explain why he's getting kicked out. Try to be as professional as you can.

LochieW
06-15-2005, 04:47 AM
Just convince your Vocalist that your drummer isn't exactly the ripest fruit on the branch. If you can do that, just tell the drummer that he isn't forfilling his job, and kick him out,
~Lochie

Baba O'Riley
06-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Hypnot1st

I have played guitar for ~4 years playing Hendrix, Vaughan, and Led Zeppelin. The other guy plays this strange stuff, and always wants to do really wierd chord changes, and I mean wierd (he doesn't know theory at all, just names of chords). And then he expects me to solo over it, well, how would I go about soloing over all these wierd chords? Usually I just give up because I can't stand doing it, and then play rythm improv (which also sucks, because his chords are so weird it's hard to know good ones to accompany) and then I let the keyboard player solo.

Well, you need to know what to play over it. I suppose you could explain why you can't to him. But that's assuming if you stay together.

There is a lot of friction between the whole band and this guitarist, everyone else gets along decently well. The only reason we don't kick the guitarist out is because we have all lived near each other and gone to the same school since we were like 4.

Well since everyone has a problem with him and the only reason he's not out if because of old friendships then he's probably not right for the band.

I guess the only options for me would be to either leave the band, and start my own solo stuff which wouldn't work.

Why wouldn't your own solo stuff work?
Or we could just kick the guitarist out
Since he has problems with all band members it looks like that's your best bet.
I am mad enough to take up bass, which I like very much.

You shouldn't take up bass for anger reasons. If you would like to play bass more than guitar then do it. If not don't.

Freunleven
06-15-2005, 11:23 AM
First of all, what sort of chords do you mean by "weird"?

Secondly, have you tried sitting down with the other guitarist and talking to him about this? Maybe he doesn't realize how frustrating he is to the rest of you. That was the case with one guitarist I jam with. Once he understood how the rest of us were feeling, he made some adjustments. We did, too, in order to keep him happy. Comprimise is a beautiful thing.

Finally, you're "mad enough to take up bass" - something that seems to be lacking in your current line-up. Bass is an essential element to any band. That may actually be a solution. If you play bass, this other guy plays guitar (still, talk to him and sort everything out), and you've got a keyboard player and a drummer - a full line-up.

Baba O'Riley
06-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Secondly, have you tried sitting down with the other guitarist and talking to him about this? Maybe he doesn't realize how frustrating he is to the rest of you. That was the case with one guitarist I jam with. Once he understood how the rest of us were feeling, he made some adjustments. We did, too, in order to keep him happy. Comprimise is a beautiful thing.

Finally, you're "mad enough to take up bass" - something that seems to be lacking in your current line-up. Bass is an essential element to any band. That may actually be a solution. If you play bass, this other guy plays guitar (still, talk to him and sort everything out), and you've got a keyboard player and a drummer - a full line-up.

While I totally agree that bass is needed for all bands he should not take up bass just to even things out. Like I said before if he would be happier playing bass then he should go for it.
These chords do sound really pretty when used together in some orders, but the problem is (and the more I think, maybe it is ME being the problem) I just can't solo over them, because of both the playing differences and the in-key problem.

Well he should know what key his chords are in and as long as he knows then you can solo over it.
EDIT: maybe the problem is everyone's differing music influences and likes. Everyone but the guitarist likes Hendrix and distortion/fuzz and the 'blues tone.'

Band members did not need to like all the same bands. Most of the time people liking different genres results in more diverse music from the band. It becomes a problem when members refuse to branch out into other styles though.

I think, like Freunleven said, you should have a talk with him. Then if he's still being an ass kick him out. Since you already said that the other members have problems with him they won't be against doing it.

Freunleven
06-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Music is all about expression. Expressing thoughts. Expressing emotions. This isn't limited to just the music - you have be open and honest with your bandmates, too.

Most relationships - of every sort - end when communication breaks down.

Raad101
06-18-2005, 05:52 AM
I'm from a sixteen year old boy that suck at singing and I'm in a band that loves Metallica, Maiden, Kiss, Sabbath and so on.

I was wondering if you have any good ideas for some song to play?

We already learned Bells without the solo parts, that really aren't solos.

We pretty much suck so any suggestion is a good one!

btw our drummers drumkit sucks:
1 mounted tom
1 floor tom
1 kick drum
hi-hat
snaredrum
1 ride cymbal
NO CRASH!
But we're gonna buy him one as soon as possible.

`NeXxuS`
06-18-2005, 06:51 AM
^ look if you love those bands, those are the ones you should cover...

your kit, your equipment, whatever... DOES NOT MATTER... you should be able to cover those songs before you do original material

your drum kit does matter... but you can do good drum fills and beats even with a basic kit...

unless your metal, then you HAVE got to be insane on the double kicks...

which metallica and Iron maiden are not.. Iron Maiden is excellent but metallica.... oh god metallica, the drums are terrible at best hahaha

Baba O'Riley
06-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Raad101
I'm from a sixteen year old boy that suck at singing and I'm in a band that loves Metallica, Maiden, Kiss, Sabbath and so on.

Some popular, uptempo songs from those bands. Ex. Paranoid, Detroit Rock City, etc. You want the songs to be popular so the audience will be able to recognize them. Typically audiences respond better to songs they know. You want the songs to be uptempo because fast paced songs get the crowd excited. Of course remember that ultimately the only songs you should be playing are the ones that you play well.

1 mounted tom
1 floor tom
1 kick drum
hi-hat
snaredrum
1 ride cymbal
NO CRASH!

You do not a gigantic kit to have a decent drum sound. Buddy Rich, possibly the greatest drummer to ever live, did not have a huge kit. http://keepitlive.tripod.com/buddyrich/setup/slinger.jpeg True, it's largely than what you're dealing with now but it isn't as big as say Keith Moon's later kits. http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/images/drums/km_1975-whitekit-top.jpg

Secondly you can use the ride as a crash cymbal. It may not sound as good as a proper crash but it still can be done. Remember just because it says "ride" it doesn't mean it has to be used as one.
Originally posted by `NeXxuS`

your kit, your equipment, whatever... DOES NOT MATTER... you should be able to cover those songs before you do original material

He didn't say anything about playing originals. Perhaps he doesn't want to.
Originally posted by `NeXxuS`
oh god metallica, the drums are terrible at best hahaha

How are the drums in Metallica terrible? Am I not a Metallica fan at all but there's no denying that Lars Ulrich is a great drummer.

Raad101
06-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Let's stick to the question; Got any easy songs for us to play?

UtBDan
06-18-2005, 05:19 PM
"Metallica, Maiden, Kiss, Sabbath and so on."

songs by those bands. If you don't know what's easy by them, I don't think you actually like them; because if you liked them you'd have learnt their guitar parts and known which ones are hard to pull off, and you'd recognize when the drums do something other than a standard beat.

Maiden would be hard do to the fast bassist and plethora of guitars.
Iron Man and other early Sabbath would be fine.
Most KISS is easy enough as well.

Baba O'Riley
06-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Let's stick to the question; Got any easy songs for us to play?

Did you even read my post?

Raad101
06-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Ok, Baba sorry and Dan I don't know **** about guitar or bass I leave that to the other guys. The problem is that I think they're afraid of a challenge. What I want is suggestions of good songs for a beginner band to play. I'm not saying you haven't come up with some but I've already thought of those songs.

`NeXxuS`
06-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Baba O'Riley
How are the drums in Metallica terrible? Am I not a Metallica fan at all but there's no denying that Lars Ulrich is a great drummer.

its basic... so basic... Lars Ulrich is not a great drummer... hes a mediocre drummer... Martin Lopez is a great drummer... Lars ulrich is about 1/8th of what Martin Lopez is

Lars beats are boring, repetitive and all sound very similar.

AxeMan88uk
06-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Ok, i wanna start doing stuff in my band, more interesting stuff but we have a slight issue, me and the bassist work our asses off, writing practicing and constantly getting better but our singer is rarely around and giving dodgy answers like 'is their any point continuing with this so called "band", hes a bit moody about stuff and i usually end up stickin up for him... i dont know wether i shud keep him in....

but more importantly my drummer, who happens to be my best mate since we were like 3 years old is holding us back. Our best recordings havent even had him on the drums and when we did a gig he wasnt even playin for most of it, cos well he coudlt, i felt a bit bad. Hes been playing drums for about nearly three years now, im fairly sure he hasnt even touched his kit for a matter of months, he cant think independtly, cant even put in a proper fill, cant think for himself (so when we do an extended jam he'ss jus do one rhythm and no veriation of any sort) and doesnt really understand tghe basic concepts of music e.g maybe after 4 or 8 bars a fill would work, or when we play 'highway to hell' after the chorus theres a little fill before the verse starts again, i have to tell him to hit the hi hat 7 times then do the fill (which he ususally messed up teh length and it throws us out), as opposed to me jus sayin play it on the upbeat so we can start the next bar. I also know his family very well so booting him would put me in a bad position with them...
Do you think it would be fair for me to tell him hes not playin with the band until hes good enough so that he can pove that he actually wants to be in the band as opposed to been able to go 'hey look im in band' to people, i have a mate whos awesome on drums hes willing to fill his place and teach him our songs as well. I dont think that annything wud make him practice and i dont wanna boot him since hes like my broether, cept better cos we dont fight

GNR4EVER
06-19-2005, 11:33 AM
As far as your problem with your vocalist goes, I say simply drop him. Get rid of him, get a new one If he's not intrested in the band and not determined then He shouldn't be there.

As for your problem with your drummer, that's a tricky one. As you said he hasn't touched his kit in months, If I was you I'd try and motivate him to play and practice more even by just practicing basic rythm techniques and just going over different beats for songs. If I was you I would keep him in the band, I wouldn't drop him but tell him He really has to practice more often.

AxeMan88uk
06-19-2005, 12:06 PM
basically what i was thinking, keep him out for a while and let him prove to me, ive really tried to motivatre him, told him stuff, we started learning drums at the same time and after 3 years he's as good as i was after 3 months (not to blow my own trumpet, jus to sort of show the extent of his lack of practice), in all honesty, as the drummer of my band hes actually the worse drummer in the band.
I intend to keep him in, im jus hoping that if he knows hes position his threatened with this other guy, that shud give him the necessary kick up the ass

heggazz
06-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Just ask him flat out, if he wants to be in the band or not. Get him to tell you his position, because maybe he doesn't even care that much about the band and that would make your decision a lot easier. However, there is always the option of completely cancelling the band, leaving it for a week, then re-forming it with everyone the same except him and have the other drummer as the new drummer. Otherwise there is no easy way to do it, it's not always easy to motivate certain people. So good luck, tell us what your plan is.

offspring_punk
06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
I got a problem and need help guys. There's a guy in my band and we have some similar musical views but where I want to play oldschool punk/hardcore punk he wants to play emo/screamo/posthardcore...I'm not sure what to do and I've told him I'm willing to give in to what he wants to play as long as he'll play some stuff i write as well. He refuses and insists on that....There's no one else around that can play or wants to play in a band let alone an oldschool punk band....What should I do? Ditch him or stick with it and see what happens? Thanks.

BrianApocalypse
06-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Charlatan_001
I'm the main lyricist for our band, but our lead guitarist and self-appointed band leader (despite the fact that I do most of our gig-booking and lyrics writing and contacting and sh**) says that my lyrics are "too poetic" and demands that I rewrite them so they become "grittier". All the time.

I can't write really "gritty" lyrics, that's just not my style. I told him to write his own if he doesn't lke mine, and he did, and they're horrible. Just revisions of mine.

How can we solve our dilemma w/ lyrics?

There's only easy solution: sing like Lemmy, or at least harsher.

Or translate them into German.

If they sound harsher, he'll think they are harsher, if not, explain that they'll be harsher, and a good original gimmick for your band.

BrianApocalypse
06-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by offspring_punk
I got a problem and need help guys. There's a guy in my band and we have some similar musical views but where I want to play oldschool punk/hardcore punk he wants to play emo/screamo/posthardcore...I'm not sure what to do and I've told him I'm willing to give in to what he wants to play as long as he'll play some stuff i write as well. He refuses and insists on that....There's no one else around that can play or wants to play in a band let alone an oldschool punk band....What should I do? Ditch him or stick with it and see what happens? Thanks.

(I am / We are) not your f*cken guinea pigs. If there are (4) people in your band, tell him you will play what he wants (25)% of the time (change where appropriate. And if not, he can fuck off.

boothy
06-20-2005, 05:19 PM
^What the hell? This thread is here for band members to get/give help, what the hell kind of a reply is that, Brian?

heggazz
06-20-2005, 07:35 PM
^I thin he meant to say,
"you should say this to him: (I am / We are) not your f*cken guinea pigs. If there are (4) people in your band, tell him you will play what he wants (25)% of the time (change where appropriate. And if not, he can **** off."

And there he has a point, I don't know how many people are willing to let one band member overpower them, but it is a shocking factor in this thread. If one person has that much influence over you, maybe it is you with the problem.

But anyways if you cant resolve this by talking to him, you know what your last two options are and I've never seen this guy so I can't really tell you which one I'd pick. Is he normally pleasant to be around or is he just an allround dick?

boothy
06-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Oh. Apologies Brian, just slap me/ignore me/make fun of me for being a dumbass.

And thanks heggazz for pointing that out. Oh and a tip - changed that "banned" thing under your name, I know somenoe got a waring for imitation it with a false letter as it were, I would change it if I were you.

offspring_punk
06-20-2005, 08:26 PM
he's sometimes a dick and sometimes not...the only reason im having trouble with it is because there's no one else that can play...so im not the one with a problem.

guitarkid27
06-20-2005, 10:21 PM
hey im 15 and my band's really good when we get to gether cause we hang out a lot like the same music and agree on most things. But we dont practice much. And we dont get many gigs. We sound kinda like a cross between hendrix and pink floyd some songs more than others and we have some really relaxed beachy if that makes sense songs. But my questions are how do i get them to practice more and how do we get more gigs?

guitarkid27
06-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by offspring_punk

i say dump him cuz if he wont compromise now he wont later and u need compromise in a band

heggazz
06-21-2005, 04:08 AM
^Ok heres a couple of tips:

1. there is a quote button at the bottom right of every post, if you want to quote what someone has already posted click the quote button at the bottom of the post that you want to quote. After you have clicked this it will take you to a page where you can add in what you want to say, go to the very end of the writing, press enter a couple of times and then type what you want to say. Easy ay!

2. at the end of your post next to the quote button is an edit button. This allows you to edit the post after you have entered it so that you don't have to double post. good stuff!

Alright just keep that in mind for next time.

peace out

offspring_punk deal with him and just tell him plain and simple what you and the rest of the band think, then get back to us.

As for the writing under my name, I'm sure the mods would tell me so if they didn't like it. And if they do I'll be happy to change it. :) so everyones happy

The_Next_Flea18
06-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Okay I just have a quick question..in my new band I want to have a synth player. The only problem is, in a few songs, there is no synth. What can he do while we're playing those songs? It'd be embarrassing for him if he just sorta stood there while we played the other songs...suggestions? Thanks a lot.

boothy
06-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Well depends what else this guy can play. If guitar, have him play along with the rythm guitarist, just turn it down, it will give him a part to play. You could do the same for bass.

You could have him add little things to songs, a keyboard riff here and there, small thngs, experiment with different instruments.

If he can't play enything, err.... get a mic but don't have it connected and tell him to sing, noone will hear, he'll look like backing vocals :D

offspring_punk
06-21-2005, 02:29 PM
alright i told him i was fed up with it and told him i what i thought and he said if i wanna play so bad not to be a dick about it and i said that i wasnt being the dick he was. So should i dump him now and just find more or what?

boothy
06-21-2005, 03:55 PM
How old is he? That's the typical immature 13 year old reaction, not being able to take criticism/suggestions on his opinions.

No hope there. Tell him to hurry up and start puberty.

offspring_punk
06-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Oh yeah i forgot to mention he's 17...so basically he's just a crybaby looking for all the attention and i should drop him right?

sheratonplyr369
06-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Parents and Friend
So a while back my mom was waiting in the car and saw two of my friends (we'll say Joe and Justin) joking around and holding hands while she was waiting to pick me up from school. Once I got in the car she seemed very alarmed and thought they were gay (which I know for a fact they arn't, and I'm not either for the record). I just told her they were joking around (which is the truth) and that was the end of the discussion. That was a month ago. Now me and one of the friends are trying to get a band together and since he actually has a mike and a good amp it makes sense to go to his house to record. So a couple of days ago he called and asked if I could spend the night so we could record some more songs (you may have heard our other stuff I listed), so I asked my mom and all she said was no and didn't give any reason at all. Logically I was pretty pissed since it's the start of the summer so I have been egging at her for the past couple days and finally she said that she doesn't want me sleeping at a friends house who holds hands with other guys. I thought we had settled it a while back but for some reason she brought it up again. So I called my friend and lof course he was pretty mad that I could go to other people's houses to spend the night but not his and why (I didn't tell him cause, well you know). So my problem is this...my mom and dad will let me go over to record all I want, but I can't spend the night, and my friend doesn't want to do anything else with the band until he knows why my parents "hate him so much." I really don't want to kill the band, because so far everyone has had relatively good things to say about our stuff, and I also don't want to lose a lifelong friend. So what would you guys do?

les_kris
06-23-2005, 04:02 AM
When you talk to your mum, instead of saying 'why won't you?!!!!' say 'what did i do wrong'' and 'i dont think he will rape me!!' To be honest ya mum just sounds like a prejudice homophobe (please sig that someone) and she needs a lesson on life in the 21st century. Why are you so adament to sleep round there, why not record during the day.

rageandlove04
06-23-2005, 10:49 AM
do any of your friends drive? you could just record as long as you want into the night and then get a ride home. Or you could film your friend screwing a hooker and show it to your mom to prove he's not gay:bonk:

mnbaseball91
06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by sheratonplyr369
Parents and Friend
So a while back my mom was waiting in the car and saw two of my friends (we'll say Joe and Justin) joking around and holding hands while she was waiting to pick me up from school. Once I got in the car she seemed very alarmed and thought they were gay (which I know for a fact they arn't, and I'm not either for the record). I just told her they were joking around (which is the truth) and that was the end of the discussion. That was a month ago. Now me and one of the friends are trying to get a band together and since he actually has a mike and a good amp it makes sense to go to his house to record. So a couple of days ago he called and asked if I could spend the night so we could record some more songs (you may have heard our other stuff I listed), so I asked my mom and all she said was no and didn't give any reason at all. Logically I was pretty pissed since it's the start of the summer so I have been egging at her for the past couple days and finally she said that she doesn't want me sleeping at a friends house who holds hands with other guys. I thought we had settled it a while back but for some reason she brought it up again. So I called my friend and lof course he was pretty mad that I could go to other people's houses to spend the night but not his and why (I didn't tell him cause, well you know). So my problem is this...my mom and dad will let me go over to record all I want, but I can't spend the night, and my friend doesn't want to do anything else with the band until he knows why my parents "hate him so much." I really don't want to kill the band, because so far everyone has had relatively good things to say about our stuff, and I also don't want to lose a lifelong friend. So what would you guys do?

Why can't the world just mind their own damn business!? I'm not gay, but what other people want to do on their own time is their business. On top of that, your friends where just joking around! Your mom is one of those people who isn't worth listening to. Go do what you want, regardless of what she says. If the reason is that stupid, nobody will blame you. Also, do tell your friend what your mom thinks so that he'll realize what kind of situation you're in. Of course, that's all after trying to work things out peacefully.

slash_pwns
06-23-2005, 03:57 PM
My mom is kinda like that, and I wouldnt dare cross her ever, because she's not the type of person to be wrong... But one time she was bitching at me and putting words in my mouth, so I put her in her place an 'laid down the law'. Just tell you parents (with a serious, no shit kind of voice) that your friend isnt gay, and you know that for a fact, and that you're serious about this band, and want to record.

For extra humour, ask whats wrong with bein gay, and then act like you are... But only if she rejects you again.

fin14
06-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Ive been in a band for about a year and a half, we just started to gig. We are a four peice rock band 1 guitar, bass, drums and a singer. Then recently ive found out of someone outside of the band that another guitarist is in with out me getting a say in it. I hardly no the guy and about a month ago i suggest getting one of my good mates to play 2nd guitar but they all said no. So im pritty p**sed off and thinking about quiting the band, what should i do.

slash_pwns
06-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Just wait, and see how good the guy is, if he's a good person, if you like him, and stuff. You're jumping to conclusions here. Plus, if the other 3 guys said they don't want one of your friends to be the 2 guitar player, just tell them that you will check out theyre friend, and if it turns out he isnt the right guy, then check out your friend.

Dont quit... Take a deep breath, and just see how things play out.

heggazz
06-24-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by slash_pwns
My mom is kinda like that, and I wouldnt dare cross her ever, because she's not the type of person to be wrong... But one time she was bitching at me and putting words in my mouth, so I put her in her place an 'laid down the law'. Just tell you parents (with a serious, no shit kind of voice) that your friend isnt gay, and you know that for a fact, and that you're serious about this band, and want to record.

For extra humour, ask whats wrong with bein gay, and then act like you are... But only if she rejects you again.

Yeah but then she can change her defence to: Now you're definately not going over because there's more chance of you two having sex!

My advice, do whatever the fuck you want. Don't let her tell you what to do, what's the worst she can legally do to you? Not talk to you, WOW. Dude just go over anyway. Only tell your friend why she won't let you stay over if you don't give a shit about her dignity.

nirvana4lf
06-24-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm trying to come up with a band name. My band is sorta like a metal/grunge type of band. Here are some names I was thinking of, and suggestions for more names would be FANTASTIC:

Dirt of Heaven
Conspiracy
Conspiracy Theory
School
Perspective
Shattered Society
Sharp Glass

suthy16
06-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by nirvana4lf
I'm trying to come up with a band name. My band is sorta like a metal/grunge type of band. Here are some names I was thinking of, and suggestions for more names would be FANTASTIC:

Dirt of Heaven
Conspiracy
Conspiracy Theory
School
Perspective
Shattered Society
Sharp Glass

Dirt of Heaven --> Hmmm, maybe, but it sounds sort of plain and just blah i think.
Conspiracy --> Part of me screams cliche but then i sort of like it.
Consipira..... Whoa good idea lol, how about "Shatter" or better yet, "Shatter the Conspiracy"?

SlashPageWylde!
06-24-2005, 09:32 PM
originally posted byy Corwinoid..

THATS FRICKEN HILARIOUS DUDE! Thank you for keeping me entertaind on this thread. oh, and st jimmy, idk what to do about your problem. I think you should do exactly what Corwinoid said. If the people in the church have half a brain, no offense, will realize that he is no good, and try to steer him away from the music. Either that, or, you could kick him out, but not for ever, and tell him in a NICE WAY, to come back in like 6 months or sumthing after he has learned a little more.
\,../

boothy
06-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by nirvana4lf

Dirt of Heaven
Conspiracy
Conspiracy Theory
School
Perspective
Shattered Society
Sharp Glass

Take it to the band name thread!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138253

Good luck :cheers:

PianoBlackSP
06-25-2005, 11:04 AM

We already learned Bells without the solo parts, that really aren't solos.

We pretty much suck so any suggestion is a good one!

1 mounted tom
1 floor tom
1 kick drum
hi-hat
snaredrum
1 ride cymbal
NO CRASH!

Think thats bad? Try a drummer with
1 snare
1 bass
1 floortom
1 mounted tom

No friggen cymbals! But we are gonna get him some soon.

Hendrix4ever
06-26-2005, 07:44 PM
My band mates and I are all about 14 and we play blues/rock and roll/metal/jam and are finally ready to gig. We played at a school talent show and a school dance. Since it is now summer, where do we go about getting gigs?

slash_pwns
06-26-2005, 07:51 PM
^Look in stuff like malls and stuff. You wont be taken seriosly, though. I'm tempted to say pubs, and the such, but only at like noon before the drinks are being served ;\

Hendrix4ever
06-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Should I look at VFW posts or Elks clubs or something for gigs? There are not many malls where I live.

slash_pwns
06-26-2005, 07:57 PM
^Yeah stuff like that... Pretty much whatever you can get your hands on, I guess.

lespaulmaniac
06-30-2005, 07:19 PM
yeha, so me and a couple of my friends are tryin to start a rock band, but the only problem is that our drummer has no experience. i play guitar, and my other friend plays bass. weve probly been playin for a year or 2. so would it just be easier if we let him figure it out, or just get some advice from someone else?

masterbasser89
06-30-2005, 08:13 PM
well if you know some one else who plays drums that could show him some stuff that would help him alot. Good luck

Jearl
06-30-2005, 09:04 PM
hey, the band im in doesnt have words/singing, so i thought it would be cool to have some different instruments. like a jam band so to speak. so far, we have two guitars, drums, and bass. what are some instruments we could use? i was thinking like sax, keyboard, and maybe trumpet....but id like to hear your opinions. thanks

slash_pwns
06-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Definately keyboards, maybe a 7 string? Try a 6string bass, 10 string bass, chapman stick, etc... If you get them.

jof1029
06-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Jearl, try things like a flute (Jethro Tull), violin (Yellowcard) or banjo (Flogging Molly) for different instruments. without vocals it would be good to have another instrument that can play lead so that you have a good melody to replace the voice. i think you should find someone who plays bagpipes. that would be sooo cool.

rageandlove04
07-01-2005, 09:38 AM
you could also raise bon scott from the dead to play recorder for you...

LochieW
07-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Alright.
Our band have been practising and writing songs abit, and we are thinking about getting a recording system. But the probelm is none of us know what to get, and whats the best deal! So does anyone know a good decent 5 track recorder that doesn't go over $500? Prefalaby somewhere in Brisbane.

Speed Limit 95
07-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Look into a Tascam, you can get a 4 track for about 250$ I think, and I've used one and they are quite good.
Plus, you can combine tracks once they are recorded, to fit more in.
Heres more info:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=122/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240781/

boothy
07-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Jearl
hey, the band im in doesnt have words/singing, so i thought it would be cool to have some different instruments. like a jam band so to speak. so far, we have two guitars, drums, and bass. what are some instruments we could use? i was thinking like sax, keyboard, and maybe trumpet....but id like to hear your opinions. thanks

It is fascinating some of the instruments that are used in Asia/Africa etc - Chinese, Indian, and African, go multi-culural, there are some great sounds out there from instruments thatquite a lot of poeple never knew existed.

If you look hard there should be a place on the net where you can get weird and wonderful cultural instruments.

DorkusMalorkus
07-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Try to make you own instruments/sounds (to Jearl)

Corwinoid
07-05-2005, 11:28 PM
^ Yes... indeed, do. I once used an egg slicer to play the intro to a christmas song. Worked wonderfully, very unique sound. Funny story too :)

boothy
07-05-2005, 11:32 PM
An egg slicer? :confused:

:haha I'm gonna make a record all out of kitchen utensils :D

Corwinoid
07-05-2005, 11:52 PM
^ Yeah, it's this little plastic tray with like two different cups you can sit an egg in, and you cut through it (generally a hard boiled egg) with this metal grill.

Well, I was washing it one night and realized that the grill was actually metal strings, so I started plucking them. Had a nice little arpeggio thing going on, and a real high sweet sound.

Anyway, after a little experimenting, I realized it was actually a single metal string wound around an opposing set of metal brackets, and I figured if I could tighten it a bit, I could 're-tune' it and get a more complete melody. I ended up breaking it.

So I had to go buy another one, and I ended up breaking that one too... but at least now I had a package for it. So in my infinite wisdom I sent it back! I told them it had broken in the dishwasher... and they sent me an entirely new egg slicer.

A week later I'm on slicer #3, still trying to 'tune the slicer' and I broke it again. Since I'd already sent it back, I was super smarter the next time... the company that makes them is about 20 miles from my house, so I drove there. I walked inside, and I was like, 'Yeah, I just sent you guys back an egg slicer that was broken, and I got this one in return, and when it showed up at my house, the string was already snapped. What the hell?"

On to #4. I get home, and promptly break it. I'm seriously just about to give up, figuring that that much variable tension on a metal fiber is too much... but I figure what the hell, and I don't want to wait, so I take another trip back to the place. I walk in, and the lady at the front desk is all like "Uhm, why are you back?" I held up #4 and went "I broke this one too."

The conversation went as follows--
Her--Look, I'm just going to give you a new string this time, but I'll have to charge you for it.
Me--How much?
Her--50 cents.
Me--I'll take a dozen.

So I stood around in their office for 3 hours trying to 'tune' an eggslicer--probably the weirdest thing that poor woman had ever seen in her entire life. Finally on string 7 I got it, walked out with 5 spares, and recorded my song an hour later.

I never had the balls to play that live... for some reason I just can't picture myself standing up on stage, whipping out an egg slicer, and playing a tune with it. Piccolos, that's all good, egg slicers... well, I have some modesty, just not very much.

DorkusMalorkus
07-06-2005, 12:04 AM
That was a good story.

I took a magnet to the strings of my guitar and I would slide it up and down while there was this panning effect on. T'was cool.

I also put a marker behind the strings turned on a wah effect (from my now broken processor) then turned up the volume really loud so I'd get feedback whenever I tried to sustain anything. I got some cool sounds. Well I thought they were cool. My mom get pissed at me, because it (in a pathetic voice) 'It's giving me a headache...'

Corwinoid
07-06-2005, 12:05 AM
^ Yeah, well... my now ex-wife got all pissed off when I broke her egg slicer, and wouldn't let her use my musical one for making egg salad anymore.

And people wonder why I got divorced, lol.

DorkusMalorkus
07-06-2005, 12:11 AM
:haha Some people don't understand music.

Corwinoid
07-06-2005, 12:15 AM
^ This is why parents tell their daughters not to marry musicians... we break kitchen appliances and make harsh dissonant noises to satisfy our inner desires.

`NeXxuS`
07-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Hendrix4ever
My band mates and I are all about 14 and we play blues/rock and roll/metal/jam and are finally ready to gig. We played at a school talent show and a school dance. Since it is now summer, where do we go about getting gigs?

step 1: record a demo.

step 2: get or appoint a manager

step 3: get a Purevolume or MySpace account and put music on it.

Step 4: have said manager pass your cd to venues...

step 5: cross fingers.

DorkusMalorkus
07-06-2005, 12:25 AM
^ This is why parents tell their daughters not to marry musicians... we break kitchen appliances and make harsh dissonant noises to satisfy our inner desires.

Relation ships take too much work anyway...

boothy
07-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Wow, thats a pretty funny but cool story. I'm gonna have to try an egg slicer Arepeggio sometime :haha

I can't believe the company bought all the lies though, gullible :haha

Corwinoid
07-06-2005, 01:07 AM
^ Well, the first two times it made sense... I mean, the heat just broke it the first time, or it just wore down, or was defective, and the second time it was damaged in shipping.

I was screwed on #4 though... I mean, nobody to blame but myself when I went back for a new one.

mud
07-06-2005, 06:34 AM
^Nevertheless, very cool. Kudos.

I don't suppose you have your egg slicer track online anywhere or something, do you?

euge453
07-06-2005, 09:02 AM
whoa. haha you could prolly get a pickup on that eggslicer and really shred.

my band is having a rough time. okay, it started out as my friend scott, joe and i jamming. scott played guitar, joe played guitar and i played bass. then we got this kid james to play drums. it all went good until joe, scott, and i wanted to play blues rock. like not punk. james flips, says were gay and thats blues isnt real music and leaves. then we get this amazing kid tom. hes a few years older than the rest of us, but hes an incredible singer and drummer (and he does both at the same time). peachy. we write a couple good songs, then james wants back in. scott, being retarded, just lets him back in.
now i dont know what to do, because before we were actually good, but like... the way james drums doesnt fit any of our styles of music, and toms did. should i convince scott to kick james out again?

boothy
07-06-2005, 12:16 PM
^Tell James to get screwed.

1.) If he thinks the blues isn't real music, he is extremely stupid. I take it that he thinks Punk as more musically complicated etc. - which is also a load of rubbish.

2.) He left, it's his fault. If he argues that he was allowed back in, tell him he wasn't by you, and that Scott agrees now that he shouldn't have been allowed back.

3.) This amazing kid is amazing as you say, so you should stick with him, because from the sounds of it James is an arrogant prick (no offence like, I don't know the guy, but to be ignorant enough to say Blues isn't realy music...)

4. If he whines too much, sit him in a corner and tell him he can be the triangle player - just warn he may not be needed for the majority of songs :D

Pingu
07-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Theres a guy a couple of years younger than me (about 19) who I learn and play guitar with, and he can't understand why I would learn and play older music (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Who, etc). He's like "uh, that's all old", and he's adament on being 'cool' and just listening/learning modern rock music. I mean, I listen to and play modern music too, but I don't see the point in sticking to a certain era when there's so much more out there (most of which is better).

Anyone else have a similar experience to this?

boothy
07-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Tell him it doesn't matter when the music was made - it's whether you like it or not that counts, and tell him you'll play Modern Rock with him if he give Classic Rock a try.

P. Townshend
07-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Pingu
Theres a guy a couple of years younger than me (about 19) who I learn and play guitar with, and he can't understand why I would learn and play older music (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Who, etc). He's like "uh, that's all old", and he's adament on being 'cool' and just listening/learning modern rock music. I mean, I listen to and play modern music too, but I don't see the point in sticking to a certain era when there's so much more out there (most of which is better).

Anyone else have a similar experience to this?

Dude I have almost the exact same story, I was gonna learn electric and my bro was gonna learn bass. I like classic rock and any kind of music for that matter, while my bro likes modern music because it's "cool", and he gets to walk around with his Chevelle shirt. Chevelle is sweet but this adds to my brother's problems. He cares nothing about the music at all, he just wants to look cool and impress everybody when he plays. I'm not that good, I've only been playing two months, but I've been practicing for 2 hours a day minimum over this summer and I'm actually starting to play some songs, whereas my brother practiced for about a half hour a day a while and now not at all. Why?!?! Because he's not into jamming or practicing, he doesn't like the music at all. He just wants to ride around all day with his windows down and sunglasses on listening to his music loud (some of it is good, but that's not why he really likes it). He continues to berate all my music "Adam turn off that ****ty music." This is when I'm listening to COMFORTABLY NUMB for chrissakes. He thinks all my bands are psychadelic, even though he doesn't know what psychadelic is, because the only one I would label that is The Doors, and I don't listen to pink floyd before Gilmour. I turned on my Who at the Isle of Wight DVD and he calls them the biggest stoner band ever. I know Pink Floyd is, but the Who isn't stoner music at all, atleast to my knowledge. Plus, I listen to Rage, Audioslave, Nirvana, Metallica, and Queen. He thinks I'm in love with psychadelic music or some crap. MAN BROTHER PRACTICE YOUR F***ING BASS SO WE CAN PLAY SOMETHING BESIDES GOOD CHARLOTTE *shivers*.

Rant over, sorry about that.

heggazz
07-07-2005, 04:48 AM
Hmmm, rule number one of making bands (very few exceptions) is to not make it with a family member, I'm guessing he would have very little respect for what you have to say. My advice, get some friends who play guitar and bass it's much more fun.

DorkusMalorkus
07-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Take his bass too...

...or mail it to me...

splice
07-11-2005, 02:45 AM
i gotta huge problem........our band has a gig in two weeks and i really dont think we should miss it (we canceled two already)but our singer quit...so what now?

heggazz
07-11-2005, 04:11 AM
Find someone else and if you can't, try and borrow one from another band just for the gig.

Freunleven
07-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Have someone else in the band sing.

matth04
07-11-2005, 04:54 PM
My problem: my band are good, we can play holiday really well (green day), go on laugh, but hey we are good at playing together and if we wanted we could play loadsa stuff, we just dotn know what to play and we wanna start writing our own songs but none of us can writel yrics however we are good at writing music, our drummers ace but he cant write lyrics at all, no one in our band can

heggazz
07-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Lyrics are not ard to write. Good ones are. How old are you all because that will make a difference in what kind of things you can include in your lyrics without it sounding hollow or inexperienced. Anyway for a better response on actually writing lyrics you should probably go here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=26727)

Baba O'Riley
07-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by matth04
we just dotn know what to play

You should play song by bands like. Since if you like the songs you are more likely to play it well. You should also play songs that you are capable of playing.
Originally posted by matth04
none of us can writel yrics

UG has some articles on lyric writing here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/songwriting__lyrics/)

rageandlove04
07-11-2005, 10:38 PM

Ok, so this was (and still is) my problem. I know by asking the question I'm about to I'm going to sound like the biggest dick on the planet, but here goes: we have two of those big gigs coming up this week. Nothing has changed at all, except now i've started formulating murder plans...anyway, I see these shows as an oppertunity to make it abundantly clear not only to my band mates (most of whom already know there's a problem) but also to other people outside the band that he has absolutely no clue what's going on. I mean, like I said I've seen more life in the dead than when he plays, so people will notice that anyways, but should I help him bull**** his way through the shows without looking too stupid? Or should I let him pull himself down? I know it'll affect the bands overall performance, but not that much, he has no confidence and as a result plays REALLY quiet (which is good, I know, but why even be up there if you're guitar's turned off?). I'm hopeing that when people realize he's all talk and a ****ty player, It'll inspire him to work hard to get good, or quit. What do you guys think I should do?

heggazz
07-12-2005, 04:29 AM
You know him better than us, for all we know he might prepare a noose-knot if he made a shmoe of himself. You know the guy so you should know how he will handle being humiliated, if he's the sort of person who can use it to his advantage then definately let him make an arse of himself. If he won't handle it well just help him through it then tell him to realise that he isn't good.

rageandlove04
07-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Yeah, in retrospect that was a dumb question to ask on an online forum...Humiliating himself (esp. in front of girls, we're playing a big youth camp tomm.) would be like worse than death to him, but he wouldn't hang himself or whatever. Now that I think about it, even if the embarassment did inspire him to get good, he's so bad at music and so lazy that he would go nowhere. Thanks for your reply.:cheers:

Desk Jocky
07-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Yeah, in retrospect that was a dumb question to ask on an online forum...Humiliating himself (esp. in front of girls, we're playing a big youth camp tomm.) would be like worse than death to him, but he wouldn't hang himself or whatever. Now that I think about it, even if the embarassment did inspire him to get good, he's so bad at music and so lazy that he would go nowhere. Thanks for your reply.:cheers:
Just keep his guitar really low and keep him in the back. Eventually he will learn something and he will get better or he will go home. Be nice to him unless he is bringing the band down or taking away from the music. Let him know you will try to help him if he asks you to. Soon he will realize he is in over his head and he will ask for help. Maybe just suggest that he should come out to a few practices before he comes to the gigs? that might allow him to improve and not drag the band down.

rageandlove04
07-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the advice dude, but we're beyond any of that, it's that bad. Go to the first page of this thread and start there to hear all about my friend...

LochieW
07-13-2005, 02:48 AM
Hmm... Get the bassist and drummer to talk it out, don't get involved completey with it, just let them have their little grudge match and pop in suggestions alone the way.

donender
07-13-2005, 10:49 AM
me and my friend are talking about starting a band we're going to start off as just us two having jam sessions and see if it goes anywhere from there, its me doing the guitar, and the other guy doing drums (we have yet to find a cabable bassist,except myself), but we have no drum kit, so is it ok to get one of those little drum pad things, because as i say, its only going to start off a few jamming sessions, we'd probably chip in for a full drum kit iff it goes anywhere, so is it wise to get these yamaha machines?

Baba O'Riley
07-13-2005, 01:58 PM
^^^If all you guys are doing is jamming then I don't think it's really a good idea to buy a kit because you aren't really serious and good drum kits are expensive and you and your friend probably don't have a lot of money.

What do you mean by "little drum pad things" and "yamaha machines"? Are you referring to practice pads or electronic drums or what?

donender
07-14-2005, 07:42 AM
yeah, those little practice pads, i couldn't think of the word for them

seljer
07-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by donender
yeah, those little practice pads, i couldn't think of the word for them

i think some latin/african percussion stuff would be more interesting

axiomgibsonex
07-14-2005, 08:26 PM
My band has 12 songs (all original) and we'd really like to start gigging, does anyone have any tips on how to get gigs? Also, if anyone here's from Jackson, Michigan (yeah right) it'd be helpful if you know any good places to play at.

MrLinus48
07-14-2005, 10:05 PM
What are some good first songs to play for a band, just started a short while back. The lead guitarist (me) is average... i can play most songs fairly well, there is also a serviceable rhythm guitarist, a really good lead singer with a lot of range, a good bassist, and the drummer is mediocore and will probably be replaced. We are all classic rock fans, zeppelin, lynyrd skynyrd, rolling stones, beatles, all the way to metallica and guns n roses, etc. Thanks

P. Townshend
07-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by MrLinus48
What are some good first songs to play for a band, just started a short while back. The lead guitarist (me) is average... i can play most songs fairly well, there is also a serviceable rhythm guitarist, a really good lead singer with a lot of range, a good bassist, and the drummer is mediocore and will probably be replaced. We are all classic rock fans, zeppelin, lynyrd skynyrd, rolling stones, beatles, all the way to metallica and guns n roses, etc. Thanks

Paranoid-Black Sabbath

Baba O'Riley
07-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by axiomgibsonex
My band has 12 songs (all original) and we'd really like to start gigging, does anyone have any tips on how to get gigs? Also, if anyone here's from Jackson, Michigan (yeah right) it'd be helpful if you know any good places to play at.

Well where you will play depends a lot of your age. Since it says in your profile that you're 16 try looking for events at your school (ex. Battle of the Bands, Talent Show, dances, etc.) or perhaps see if you can play at a friend's party. Also you or one of your bandmates can have a party and then your band could play at your/their party.

Originally posted by MrLinus48

Rolling Stones- Jumpin' Jack Flash
Beatles- Twist And Shout

Trip272
07-16-2005, 08:12 PM
So after being completely messed over by our bassist. My band is at a bit of a loss at what to do.

My question to you all is. What do you think we should do? Here are the options i've considered.

Me playing bass (before I played guitar), buy a bass amp (i already have a bass), and the other two doing what they did before.. Although this would leave us with only a rythem guitar and I would be a bit displeased having to pick up an instrument I would rather not play.

Saying **** the bass and buy a better guitar amp and having 2 guitarists. This way everybody is happy but I am confused how to make it work.

Looking for another bass player which could take ages..

I really like the Idea of two guitarists and no bassist but I am just worried what I would have to do to make it sound ok.. Would I have to fiddle with the EQ on one of the guitars to kind of make it the 'bass' guitar.. so to speak?

Any help appreciated.

Baba O'Riley
07-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Trip272
Me playing bass (before I played guitar), buy a bass amp (i already have a bass), and the other two doing what they did before.. Although this would leave us with only a rythem guitar

Are you the lead guitarist then?

I would be a bit displeased having to pick up an instrument I would rather not play.

If you're not going to be happy playing bass then you shouldn't do it.

Looking for another bass player which could take ages..

Why would it take ages?

I really like the Idea of two guitarists and no bassist but I am just worried what I would have to do to make it sound ok.. Would I have to fiddle with the EQ on one of the guitars to kind of make it the 'bass' guitar.. so to speak?

Well personally I feel that a band with two guitarists and no bassist will sound kind of empty because the bottom end isn't covered. Also it seems like a waste because you said you want to achieve a more bassy sound and what's the point of having just two guitars when you want one to sound like a bass? Why not just go for the bass?

I think you should either see if the other guitarist would switch to bass or look for a new bass player. Another option is finding a keyboardist.

Baba O'Riley
07-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by afrothunder666
It's just that every time we try to write songs or lyrics he doesn't what to do. I tell him how the song goes and he brushes it off. I ask him to write a song and he looks at me weird. He looks at me like, "How? or What am I supposed to do?" He doesn't even try. He expects me to do all of the work. He is making this band thing a lot worse than it should be. Everyday he complains about not having a drummer and a bassist and stuff.

Why are you bothering with him? He's not helping or even trying to help. It seems to me that he's just complaining and giving you grief.

He told me that the only reason the Flea is good at bass and the only reason people get so good at guitar is that they have no life. He told me that the only reason ANYBODY that plays guitar has no life. I was very pissed off when he said that.

Ok obviously that's not true. Since he feels this way it's very unlikely that he will ever be any good because he won't work at it because then he "won't have a life".

This guy is a very good friend of mine

He doesn't seem like a very good friend.

What should I do?

Try talking to him. Explain why you have a problem with him. If he's still a pain after that then get rid of him.

P. Townshend
07-16-2005, 10:36 PM
I have a problem here.

I plan to form a band in the next few months and I already have a rhythm guitarist. I am also taking guitar lessons to improve my playing and to learn more music theory (I know a little bit already). He is going to start taking music lessons in the next week or so. It's just that every time we try to write songs or lyrics he doesn't what to do. I tell him how the song goes and he brushes it off. I ask him to write a song and he looks at me weird. He looks at me like, "How? or What am I supposed to do?" He doesn't even try. He expects me to do all of the work. He is making this band thing a lot worse than it should be. Everyday he complains about not having a drummer and a bassist and stuff.

*warning* this is the part that is going to piss off every person reading this *warning*

He told me that the only reason the Flea is good at bass and the only reason people get so good at guitar is that they have no life. He told me that the only reason ANYBODY that plays guitar has no life. I was very pissed off when he said that.

It's gets even worse though.

This guy is a very good friend of mine and I don't want to kick him out because he will take it personal.

What should I do?

Ok Flea is getting more pussy than he will ever get in his life so...

Ditch the guy while the ditching is good, just tell him we can be friends and not be in a band.

slash_pwns
07-16-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't get why people don't like kicking their friends out of a band. You may not realize it, but a situation like a band brings out the true person... If you have to kick them out, they really shouldn't be your friend...

Your friend thinks musicians (in general, I assume aswell) have no lives is because some guitar players have practiced a little more than what he thinks is normal... If Steve Vai played 10 houts a day, big deal... He's Steve Vai! Your friend needs to get over that... Before he can become a better musician.

If you still like the guy, as the person you think he is, then tell him straight up, the band thing won't work unless he contributes and becomes better at what he does. If he can't accept that... Then... Use your imagination :rolleyes:

afrothunder666
07-16-2005, 11:49 PM
I think he is jealous of Flea. And he is also a beginner at guitar, so that might explain why he has such a negative attitude. It might also be that I intimidate him with my guitar playing. If he does something like that again I will definitely kick him out. I'll talk to him about it some more.

LochieW
07-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Whoaaaa, people who are good at guitar have no life? Just tell him if he doesn't want to improve his guitar skills, then he isn't what you had in mind for a rhythm guitarist (Thats what he is right?)

Made in China
07-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Here's my situation. Me and my friend are making a band, he has been playing for about a year and a half, and I have been playing for a year and a quarter. We have decided to switch up the lead and rhythm guitars between us. But, if we can't find a singer, me or him might sing. Would it be best for the singer to play rhythm?

My second problem is, I have a friend who plays bass, but he seems unwilling to play bass with us, how could I get him to play bass for our band?

Thanks

boothy
07-18-2005, 05:28 PM
^Well, to answer the second, easier question first, invite him to jam with you - tell him it's not him being in the band, or even trying to get him in (you can lie, right?) and if the jam goes well, slip in at the end "I know this wasn't anything to do with the band, but that was damn good, how about it?".

Another approuch is just to try and pursaude him to join maybe for a month - but the problem is that you are not going to get the best musical results out of him if he simply doesn't want to be there playing bass with you.

The first question, is personal preference completetely. Many have played lead and sung (Clapton, Mark Knopfler?), many have played rhythm (Bob Dylan etc.). Many have played a combination of both (Hendrix).

It's just personal preference really.

Baba O'Riley
07-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Made in China
Here's my situation. Me and my friend are making a band, he has been playing for about a year and a half, and I have been playing for a year and a quarter. We have decided to switch up the lead and rhythm guitars between us. But, if we can't find a singer, me or him might sing. Would it be best for the singer to play rhythm?

It's typically easier to play rhythm while singing because the rhythm is normally not as complex as the lead part. Of course rules were meant to be broken.

I don't think you should pick who's going to play lead by who's the singer. I would advise having whichever one of you is better play lead or you can play dual lead. So you both play rhythm but you both solo as well.

^Well, to answer the second, easier question first, invite him to jam with you - tell him it's not him being in the band, or even trying to get him in (you can lie, right?) and if the jam goes well, slip in at the end "I know this wasn't anything to do with the band, but that was damn good, how about it?".

:cheers: Jamming is the way to go. If you guys have a good thing going when you jam then he'll probably want to start playing with you. If not then it's no big deal.

SilverStratocas
07-18-2005, 11:19 PM
Okay, this question is about my lead guitarist... We are all 14 year old musicians starting a band (Crimson Iris), and we are trying to have all these practices, since we're kids, we don't have our own car to drive ourselves to practice, and this kids dad wont let him go anywhere, and it's making us not get ANY progress. He's a pretty good friend of mine, and he's REALLY good, been playing for about 3 years, and he has a tone that I've never seen anyone else have... His own tone, which is really unique with a 14 year old musician, and I don't want to throw him out because of our friendship, and the fact that he's AMAZING... But everyone else wants to lose him and I think so too sometimes just because of the fact that he can't do anything, and yes we have talked to him about it, but it's just, his parents are, blah.

UtBDan
07-18-2005, 11:37 PM
^ so have practices with out him, and then show him what you have in private, and don't go gigging until he's got his license. You keep the amazing guitarist, no harm to a friend, and your band doesn't get slowed down really.

SilverStratocas
07-18-2005, 11:39 PM
But if he can hardly ever goto practice, what'll make me think he could ever goto gigs?

UtBDan
07-18-2005, 11:54 PM
......the fucking driver's license. Thanks for reading all of what I said.

SilverStratocas
07-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Heh, sorry, just kinda skimmed through it.

LochieW
07-19-2005, 04:07 AM
Give him a lift, or hold band practise at his place.

heggazz
07-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Where's the rebellion at? Some people need to learn how to tell there parents to fuck off. There's other ways of getting around, other people driving you is probably the best option.

boothy
07-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately if you tell the parents to **** off and just go, they ring up the other band members parents, and theres a good chance he'll end up being banned from all their houses. Although if his parents don't have contact details for any of the other members, it's a good strategy.

GNR4EVER
07-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by SilverStratocas
Okay, this question is about my lead guitarist... We are all 14 year old musicians starting a band (Crimson Iris), and we are trying to have all these practices, since we're kids, we don't have our own car to drive ourselves to practice, and this kids dad wont let him go anywhere, and it's making us not get ANY progress. He's a pretty good friend of mine, and he's REALLY good, been playing for about 3 years, and he has a tone that I've never seen anyone else have... His own tone, which is really unique with a 14 year old musician, and I don't want to throw him out because of our friendship, and the fact that he's AMAZING... But everyone else wants to lose him and I think so too sometimes just because of the fact that he can't do anything, and yes we have talked to him about it, but it's just, his parents are, blah.

I think the most obvious solution would be to practice at his house.

Failing that why don't you try and get your parents (If you're all practicing at your place) to see if they could ick him up and drop him back home, there's a good chance that his dad wont argue with that. Your friends father is more than likely just worried about his son, do whatever you can to assure him that your friend will be safe.

casual9
07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
ok, what if your guitarist is being an idiot and cuts himself every time something bad happens in his life and yoiu need to cut him from the band because you're not going anywhere with him what do you do , just start another band with your replacement or drop ;him

boothy
07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
^Tell him he is fucking stupid.

I'm sorry, rant mode turning on...

Cutting yourself does not help anyone with emotional pain, if people who cut themselves knew real pain, they would know it doesn't help/ If seeing their own blood numbs their sad and miserable emotions - then they aren't very sad and miserable in truth.

What they are is attention seekers. For example - how do you know he cuts himself? If it was just for him to deal with his problems, he most likely wouldn't want anyone seeing it. But I bet he has shown quite a few people, either for symnpathy or attention I don't know.

All it does is make you have physical pain as well as a bit of mental - it is really pointless. Anyone who has felt true pain will know that harming yourself would do nothing.

So tell him to stop being an attention seeking wanker, and cutting himself, and drop him from the band. And if he cuts himself just because he got dropped from a band, then he really is an idiotic loser.

LochieW
07-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Yeah, my Ex-GF cut herself all the time. I usually tried to make her feel sad by saying that I was worried about her, so she stopped.

GNR4EVER
07-20-2005, 10:22 PM

So tell him to stop being an attention seeking wanker, and cutting himself, and drop him from the band. And if he cuts himself just because he got dropped from a band, then he really is an idiotic loser.

Yeah that actually sounds pretty good. Fucking cutters, cant stand the bastards.

Although Maybe you shouldn't drop him, but seriously tell him to cop the fuck on.

heggazz
07-21-2005, 04:25 AM
I'm willing to bet that when he cuts himself he just makes a fucking scratch to pretend that he has, I only know 2 people that actually suicided and neither of them cut themselves at any point in their lives. However, I know many people (mostly girls) who have "tried" to slit their wrists on many occasions.

Next time he tells you he's gonna go cut himself, tell him you hope he does and to make sure it's deep. I agree with boothy, Fucking cutters!

BLACKRAVEN
07-21-2005, 11:39 AM
i'm not shure who will read this but i have got some advice for new bands starting live shows.
i have been a guitarist for 6 years and a professional musician for 3 i do alot of session work an i also have a band with my friends for our own project.
so some simple tips to playing live.
1. make shure u are all ready as a band to do it, 1 bad experience can really knock confidence.
2. be shure u can rely on all ur equipment, the last thing u need is a broken string or amp/speaker head.
3. do if for the love of putting on a show, do some covers that the audience will know but don't be afraid to do ur own songs (if they are copyrighted)
4. don't be urself, this sounds crazy but its true, u need to put on a show so unless ur some1 like ozzy u need to be some1 else on stage. alice cooper is probhably the master of this but slash and gene simmons also do this very well, come up with a kind of alter ego to get into onstage maby a stage name or a persona with a mask if u want to go as far into this as slipknot. (my personal stage persona is under the name RAVEN maby not too origonal but i do it for the black magic myth about the bird and act all weird and mysterious on stage, trust me it works.
5. if ur serious about this stuff u will really kick into another gear onstage, its important to make the most of this, always preform as if the world is watching and u have a point to make. this will never fail if you do it right.

hope this is a helpfull way to share experience

RAVEN

rageandlove04
07-21-2005, 12:55 PM
^Tell him he is fucking stupid.

I'm sorry, rant mode turning on...

Cutting yourself does not help anyone with emotional pain, if people who cut themselves knew real pain, they would know it doesn't help/ If seeing their own blood numbs their sad and miserable emotions - then they aren't very sad and miserable in truth.

What they are is attention seekers. For example - how do you know he cuts himself? If it was just for him to deal with his problems, he most likely wouldn't want anyone seeing it. But I bet he has shown quite a few people, either for symnpathy or attention I don't know.

All it does is make you have physical pain as well as a bit of mental - it is really pointless. Anyone who has felt true pain will know that harming yourself would do nothing.

I disagree. For some poeple it really is a release, or a diversion. But if you know of someone who's a cutter, chances are they're doing it for attention. Anyone who's truely doing it to escape pain or whatever doesn't want other people to know.

Raad101
07-22-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm a suck ass singer in a coverband. Our bassplayer dropped out and I'm about to make the biggest descision of my life (eerrrr, maybe not...). Should I pickup bass or keep singing? I don't think I would be able to do both. I guess the songs would sound like crap without bass but they would become pretty boring without lyrics, so what should I do?

rageandlove04
07-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Well, if you're a bad singer, then why not pick up bass? If you're good, then you can always find another bass player. Do what you want.

bronson_jess
07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Hey guys, I know that there've been a lot of questions like this one in these threads, but here it goes:

My name's Jesse, I'm 18 years old, and I am in a band called "Rockland 107" (the reason being is it's our apartment name and number - I know, not too original, but it works to let the chicks know where you live, right?) Ok, so we're all roommates in this apartment by chance, interested in the same type of music (which, I guess we sound simular to, I don't know if you've ever heard this band, but Dispatch, and some others like Coldplay). Anyhow, we have 2 guitarists (who also do vocals) a keyboard/synth/piano player, a drummer, and even an egg maraca for good measure...

We have a little gig which we need to play for about 30 minutes outdoors in front of a college age crowd, so about 18 years old to 25 or so. It's gonna be acoustic rock type stuff (2 acoustic electric guitars + the above mentioned instruments) But we only have like 2 songs on our setlist so far, they are:

1. Clocks - Coldplay
2. Somewhere Only We Know - Keane
3. (and maybe an original or two)

I would love to hear some suggestions for good acoustic guitar with piano songs, I can't really think of any right now, but we're probably gonna play in a week, the 28th.

I'm a pretty good guitarist and can pick up stuff pretty fast + I have a pretty wide vocal range, but the other guy can only strum basic chords, so he kinda does background strums (but he's a good singer too)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks! And if you need any more info just ask.

boothy
07-22-2005, 05:59 PM
I disagree. For some poeple it really is a release, or a diversion. But if you know of someone who's a cutter, chances are they're doing it for attention. Anyone who's truely doing it to escape pain or whatever doesn't want other people to know.

The pain can't be that bad then can it? I mean, if cutting yourself distracts you from emotional suffering, you ain't suffering that much.

Not wanting to get into an argument here, just pointing out I really don't think it helps (and I'm not dissing it before I have tried it though, it's still ****ing stupid).

LochieW
07-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Aie Jessie,

The Cure - Just Like Heaven
The Cure - Letters to Elise

Most Cure songs have brillant and catchy acoustic.

ThrashDemon
07-23-2005, 02:47 PM
I have a problem.
me and my friends are crazy for metal(:D)
and we decided to start a band but the problem is the genre.
As some of you know, theres tons ,tons and tons of genres.

I(rhythm ) want a slayer/Kreator Thrash band with some Iced earth vocal elements.

my lead guitarist/vocalist wants a style only similar to Iced earth/manowar.

and my drummer wants a judas preist NHOBHM style along with some metallica and slayer tones.

Wat should we do?

Punkarse
07-23-2005, 02:58 PM
^^Mix 'em up. Genres are only arbitrary, anyway. If you're looking for covers, though, only do them if you all agree. The best way is usually to take turns picking covers to play.

In terms of songwriting - whoever writes the song calls the shots, but should let the others have a little input. You need to take their strengths into account, and even if you've written the song you need to gie the others a little leeway to put their stamp on it.

Bands normally end up have leaders, usually the strongest personality, who is also usually the songwriter.

That's a little bit eclectic, and I've said conflicting things, but different bands sort their stuff out differently - some are lead and dominated (like Nirvana was by Cobain. He was obviously the driving force), some take it in turns and alternate lead roles (Pink Floyd) and some are completely democratic (Errr...). You need to wrk out what works best with the personalities in your band. if you go down the democratic rute you have to be perfectly democratic. Otherwise fights break out.

ThrashDemon
07-23-2005, 03:18 PM
well we all kinda write the song.which is why in the course of 3 months only wrote 2 songs.

Thanks for the tips though :D

voodoochilli499
07-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Anyone have a cure for LSD (lead singer's disease)?

MY lead singer is a compleat ass and thinks he's amazing but he sucks. Now i know youre going to say get rid of him, but thats the problem. There is no one else who wants to sing near me. We fired him once then found out there were no other singers. when we asked him to come back it just made his ego bigger and he keeps saying that we couldnt live without him.

any advice?

UtBDan
07-23-2005, 08:15 PM
^ search for lead singers behind his back, and then kick him out again when you find one. And there's always someone out there who can sing, a lot of people just aren't so willing to show it. You can find someone if you try.

LochieW
07-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Hmm... Maybe your guitarist and bass could swap singing duties for songs? Then you won't have to worry about the singer. But if you guys suck at singing then just wait for someone willing to sing for you guys.

Antzzang
07-27-2005, 04:37 PM
ok here's my problem so we have a five person band we're the screamo hardcore type of band. but anyway our guitarist peter, well he's a prune. he's a goody goody a little momma's boy. anyway he has an ego problem like one performance we had we were good then after he tells me that i ruined the whole song while we all pkayed perfect cept for him. anyway we're gunna kick him out. he makes up stupid excuses for not goin to practices like the suns out guys and i just got home while i have the effen time to make a 20 minute drive to have one. problem is i don't know how to confront him. like if it were anyone else it'd be easy but just lookng at him. (short wimpy skinny dorky) it would devastate him wouldn't it? he said he's ordering a GNX 4 too and i don't want him to waste his money jsut for a band he's about to get kicked out of right? anyway i don't know what to do and how to confront him. ps he's our childhood friend so we're pretty tight.

raph8r
07-27-2005, 06:15 PM
u guys dont sound pretty tight calling him a wimpy scrawny mama's boy with an ego problem. the easiest thing to do would be tell him ur problem, if he doesnt fix it then kick him out...simple

LochieW
07-28-2005, 01:04 AM
Pretty much the same as raph8er, But can't he cancel the order of the GNX 4? Just tell him to get to band practises, and if he doesn't tell him that he shouldn't be playing with you guys.

TANK4
07-28-2005, 01:33 AM

come and get ur band and talk 2 them but not da kid. after u hav discussed it wit ur band go and all you ppl go and talk 2 him and tell himm u hav 2 improve much more if u want 2 stay in da band and practise much more and dont be lazy bcause it seems ur not doin anythin .

pinholes89
07-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Well, me and my band JUST finished a full, 16 song, 1 hour long album, i mean, we have it on CD, and we have our cover (which is my avatar, btw). We play pop-punk/punk/hard rock and we've been playin for like 2.5 years almost as a band. But, we're not signed or anything. So now we're kinda like, ok, What Now ??? Should we copyright our stuff, and how?? How do we put this out for record deals and record companies?? and do we have to copyright it b4 we try to let ppl listen to it ?? or what ?? we're kinda tired of recording, and we achieved our goal of doing a good quality, full album, but, what's the next step for us. ANY HELP, please !!!!!!

TANK4
07-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by pinholes89
Well, me and my band JUST finished a full, 16 song, 1 hour long album, i mean, we have it on CD, and we have our cover (which is my avatar, btw). We play pop-punk/punk/hard rock and we've been playin for like 2.5 years almost as a band. But, we're not signed or anything. So now we're kinda like, ok, What Now ??? Should we copyright our stuff, and how?? How do we put this out for record deals and record companies?? and do we have to copyright it b4 we try to let ppl listen to it ?? or what ?? we're kinda tired of recording, and we achieved our goal of doing a good quality, full album, but, what's the next step for us. ANY HELP, please !!!!!!

have u tried callin da record companies
bcause they might wanna check out ur cd man

Stula1031
07-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Send some demos to a record company

petrina_678
07-29-2005, 12:16 AM
alright firstly DONT send it to a big or major record lable/company they wont listen to it!I think firstly get all the songs and the album copy righted(there is a great article on that on UG) than go to a indie lable or any small lables and get them to listen to it.Usually the smaller lables are more willing to sign on new acts,so try this.Mean while just go around getting gigs and playing the songs form this album,just do as many gigs as possible and people will notice you guys.Doing that will help you get a good fan base who will later on buy your album once you get signed.

heggazz
07-29-2005, 04:55 AM
^^Good advice, fuck those major labels. If you're old enough, pub gigs is where it's at I'm not old enough but I've been to a few and they're pretty sweet.

pinholes89
07-29-2005, 06:42 AM
well does anybody know any record labels in the Houston area, or should i just check em out in the yellow book or something, or just any record label period, despite its in another location ?

All we need is proffessional production of our album and for it to be marketed and sold in stores. Although we do have a bit o a problem, me and the bassist are in diferent countries, but if we get signed here in the USA, he'll come over, and if we get signed over there i'll definately come over, and we're looking for a drummer (but we have real drums on the record tho)

GNR4EVER
07-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by pinholes89
well does anybody know any record labels in the Houston area, or should i just check em out in the yellow book or something, or just any record label period, despite its in another location ?

All we need is proffessional production of our album and for it to be marketed and sold in stores. Although we do have a bit o a problem, me and the bassist are in diferent countries, but if we get signed here in the USA, he'll come over, and if we get signed over there i'll definately come over, and we're looking for a drummer (but we have real drums on the record tho)

Well that there can be a problem, A Lot of record companies wont sign a band if the songs by the band can't be reproduced live. Before you start sending stuff to a record company I would suggest you find a drummer.

LochieW
07-30-2005, 08:42 PM
^^ True as you can get. I suggest you (or him) go too one of your countries, so you can find a drummer and do a few gigs.

LaihoRocks
08-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Maybe you should practice a lot till your good and try gettin a record deal

Freunleven
08-03-2005, 09:25 AM
In everyone's experience, what is the best way (not necessarily the easiest) to get your lead guitar player to quit hogging practice time with 45-minute solos?

Corwinoid
08-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Turn off his amp.

GNR4EVER
08-03-2005, 01:49 PM
^ :haha Well that's one way

Tell him to stop and let you guys practice. Seriously, It may sound a bit crude but the easiest and most effective thing to do is tell him to stop. There is no point practicing if theres one guy going off soloing for ages, that way none of you are actually getting any practice. Not Even him. When you're practicing everyone has to be involved in it, Otherwise You wont get any better as a band.

EDIT: Rereading what you said If this guy wants to put Massively long solos into your songs, then get him to cut them back a bit. While Yes we all love solos :D It's hard to keep the song intresting if there's a very long instrumental run in the middle of it (Unless it's very good), especially to non-musicians. It sounds as if the guy want to hog all the limelight in the band, he wants to be the centre of attention. In this type of situation you have to make sure he knows that he's equal with everyone else in the band, Don't let his ego get too big.

Corwinoid
08-03-2005, 02:11 PM
^ I'm serious... I'd signal the band to queue him back in, and when he doesn't stop wanking, I'd flip the damn thing off and continue the song.

When he asks why you ****ed up his solo, tell him he was ****ing up the song, and it was time to get it back together. The rest of the band was expecting to continue, and it's his fault that *HE WASN'T TOGETHER WITH THE BAND.*

Make it absolutely clear that it's not your fault for turning him off.

John Swift
08-04-2005, 03:31 PM
In everyone's experience, what is the best way (not necessarily the easiest) to get your lead guitar player to quit hogging practice time with 45-minute solos?:satan:
Quite frankly if he hasn't got the discipline in the rehearsal room he will be much worse when gigging, maybe not in the begining but the more you gig the worse he will get!

:cheers: John Swift, dive playing old has been.:peace:

`NeXxuS`
08-04-2005, 11:02 PM
^ I'm serious... I'd signal the band to queue him back in, and when he doesn't stop wanking, I'd flip the damn thing off and continue the song.

When he asks why you ****ed up his solo, tell him he was ****ing up the song, and it was time to get it back together. The rest of the band was expecting to continue, and it's his fault that *HE WASN'T TOGETHER WITH THE BAND.*

Make it absolutely clear that it's not your fault for turning him off.

:golfclap: ive felt like giving one of those FOREVER....

but heres a little trick for all you band leaders... you make it the problem members choice... you dont just tell him to **** off... you make it his choice to **** off or stay... that way your in no way the bad guy... cause he quit...

i would tell the guy to stop jerking around or youll shut his amp off for the good of the band first... then if he doesnt stop you shut of his amp... he'll get pissy... but hey... you told him

LochieW
08-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Let him get to the peak of solo (Which isn't hopefully like 30 minutes into the thing, hopefully like 17 seconds) Then just start playing your guitar, and get the drummer doing the beats and singer singing, and then when he tells you to stop, just continue.

Antzzang
08-05-2005, 12:53 PM
k my problem is practicing areas it was good cause my drummers house was available but he's moving so he has to keep the house in tip top shape. so okay we'll go to one of our others. well that dind't wokr cause my parents are dicks and the don't like loud noises my bass players dad had hip surgery and won't be out and about till like 2 months and my singer parents are exactly like mine. so i don't know what to do anymore and me and my singer both live in different towns and it's like a twenty minute drive. so what should i do. if we can't practice whats the point of being in a band. ugh i don't klnow

LochieW
08-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Maybe try and rent a room out or something?

heggazz
08-05-2005, 08:19 PM
I'm sure you can find a way to get to practise at either your house or your singers house, it's just not that hard to convince your parents to get over the loud noises.

Dutch_Apples
08-05-2005, 10:34 PM
I have a serious problem and the outcome may decide my professional music career for the next few years.

I'm in 2 bands right now. One is an acoustic duo in which we play all covers were I play percussion and the other is a 6-piece rock were I play synths/laptop/DJ. In the acoustic duo, we play gigs about 6 times a month while the rock band just got together about a month ago in it's incarnation, although some members have been playing together for years. We have had no gigs yet and our first one is the 13th in which we are playing at a $2 rock show and aren't getting paid anything. The rock band has also stated they don't want to play covers. I feel this will elimate at least 80 % of gig posiblities in the area considering everyone pretty much plays at bars or private events.

Here's the main dillema, the singer/guitarist that I play with in the duo has brought up the oppurtunity of playing 3 times a week (Thrusday, Friday, and Saturday nights.) This would mean I would be making $300-$500 a week just playing covers for 12 hours a week. He has also brought up the idea of putting together a full band which I like. This would jump that pay up to $450-$600 a week. The problem is this will interfere with the other group I'm in.

I mentioned to the rock band before about playing 4-6 gigs a month and they were saying that was a lot. I can see them playing originals only about 1-2 times a month and I know that will probably be Saturdays. The goal of this band is to get a record deal, but it's not realistic now considering there are no hit sounding songs or a good all-around image. But playing in this band is a lot of fun and I'm one of the only synth players in the area (small pennisula.) I don't want to quit, but I would be a full-time professional musician if I took the other gigs the duo is dicussing.

Should I take the full-time gig, or decline some gigs to play with a "garage band?" The other guy in the duo was complaining that I would be hurting his "business" if I said I would only play 1 time a month at certian places since they pay different for solo acts than duos.

Thanks in advance.

GibsonIdiot77
08-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Dude I'd go with the full-time gigs.

P. Townshend
08-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Dutch_Apples
I have a serious problem and the outcome may decide my professional music career for the next few years.

I'm in 2 bands right now. One is an acoustic duo in which we play all covers were I play percussion and the other is a 6-piece rock were I play synths/laptop/DJ. In the acoustic duo, we play gigs about 6 times a month while the rock band just got together about a month ago in it's incarnation, although some members have been playing together for years. We have had no gigs yet and our first one is the 13th in which we are playing at a $2 rock show and aren't getting paid anything. The rock band has also stated they don't want to play covers. I feel this will elimate at least 80 % of gig posiblities in the area considering everyone pretty much plays at bars or private events.

Here's the main dillema, the singer/guitarist that I play with in the duo has brought up the oppurtunity of playing 3 times a week (Thrusday, Friday, and Saturday nights.) This would mean I would be making $300-$500 a week just playing covers for 12 hours a week. He has also brought up the idea of putting together a full band which I like. This would jump that pay up to $450-$600 a week. The problem is this will interfere with the other group I'm in.

I mentioned to the rock band before about playing 4-6 gigs a month and they were saying that was a lot. I can see them playing originals only about 1-2 times a month and I know that will probably be Saturdays. The goal of this band is to get a record deal, but it's not realistic now considering there are no hit sounding songs or a good all-around image. But playing in this band is a lot of fun and I'm one of the only synth players in the area (small pennisula.) I don't want to quit, but I would be a full-time professional musician if I took the other gigs the duo is dicussing.

Should I take the full-time gig, or decline some gigs to play with a "garage band?" The other guy in the duo was complaining that I would be hurting his "business" if I said I would only play 1 time a month at certian places since they pay different for solo acts than duos.

Thanks in advance.

full-time gigs and try to get more people in your band

LochieW
08-08-2005, 01:01 AM
What everyone else has suggested, seriously. Money is good.

heggazz
08-08-2005, 04:24 AM
There is no need to quote such a hugeass post and also I'd go with the one you would have a better experience in. It's where you won't regret making this decision that you want to be. So if you think you will regret taking one road, don't do it.

GibsonIdiot77
08-09-2005, 06:40 PM
My band is gonna be playing in the talent show this year at our school and one of hte songs we are gonna is play is Velvet Revolver's Slither. I dont know hte solo but for the most part when I dont know a solo note for note I learn the intro to it and the end and anything else that stands out in the solo. I've used this way playing along with hte song in my room and it sounds fine but I have alot of time before the show so do you all think I should learn the solo note for note or just use my way and learn the intro and the ending and any other lick that stands out and improvise the rest?

P. Townshend
08-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by GibsonIdiot77
My band is gonna be playing in the talent show this year at our school and one of hte songs we are gonna is play is Velvet Revolver's Slither. I dont know hte solo but for the most part when I dont know a solo note for note I learn the intro to it and the end and anything else that stands out in the solo. I've used this way playing along with hte song in my room and it sounds fine but I have alot of time before the show so do you all think I should learn the solo note for note or just use my way and learn the intro and the ending and any other lick that stands out and improvise the rest?

If you can improvise well, I don't think you need to learn the solo.

LochieW
08-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Solo, 'cuz solos are awesome. And crowds love solos

heggazz
08-10-2005, 05:27 AM
I really don't like it when people do covers of songs that aren't as good as the original song, learn the solo, practise the solo, and nail the solo. Anyone who knows the song will love you for it. And just for the record, I don't think there are many people on this website that could improvise a solo like that.

voodoochilli499
08-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Antzzang
k my problem is practicing areas it was good cause my drummers house was available but he's moving so he has to keep the house in tip top shape. so okay we'll go to one of our others. well that dind't wokr cause my parents are dicks and the don't like loud noises my bass players dad had hip surgery and won't be out and about till like 2 months and my singer parents are exactly like mine. so i don't know what to do anymore and me and my singer both live in different towns and it's like a twenty minute drive. so what should i do. if we can't practice whats the point of being in a band. ugh i don't klnow

rent one of those self storage units and prctice there

WerdnaEgni
08-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Ok, well here's my situation. I'm in a "band" sort of. I play drums and guitar and I sing. My friend plays lead guitar and bass. This is because there is a horrible lack of musicians in my town who are actually easy to get along with. Anyway, we want to record some songs and put them on the internet and stuff...but we want them to be as good quality as possible without going to a studio. We're willing to spend some money if we have to, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what to get? Just my computer mic isn't cutting it. Do I need a new sound card? New mics (I have some vocal mics already but no adapters)? Any advice would be great, including software. I've tried cubase and audacity...I prefer audacity as of now but I'm willing to try something else. Thanks in advance.

Also, can you tell me more about these "storage units"...because I sort of have that problem too...we have a sort of drummer but her parents are always complaining of the noise..which is why im in the situation above with only 2 people.

daft
08-10-2005, 01:49 PM
For your first question you could pay out to get a 4/8/16/32 track recorder, but it can be expensive.
Also you would you need to get good mics if you want to get a good recording.

GibsonIdiot77
08-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by heggazz
I don't think there are many people on this website that could improvise a solo like that.

I guess I'm one of the few then:cool:

HAWK3Y3S
08-10-2005, 09:59 PM
So I've been trying to get a band started for a while, but nothing really seems to be happening. I have a friend who is a bassist who sees eye to eye with me on nearly everything. I also have a drummer friend that would like to be in the band, and we would love to have him in it but he only likes hardcore and can't appreciate any other type of music. Drummers are impossible to find in my area. So me and my bassist friend have toyed around with a few solutions. One would be to have this drummer in our band and incorporate hardcore elements into our music in order to keep him happy. Another is to have someone on a drum machine and do something more experimental. Or, we could just not have drums. Ideally we would like to have a live drummer but it really doesn't seem to be possible without compromising any visions we have. Any suggestions?

Dutch_Apples
08-10-2005, 11:41 PM
I would say get the drum machine for now. That guy who only likes hardcore will only hurt you later down the road. Start putting ads up everywhere and ask around, SOMEONE has to play drums in your area.

heggazz
08-11-2005, 03:38 AM
There's nothing wrong with adding hardcore elements into your songs, it might make them more unique as long as you don't turn into a generic hardcore/metalcore band it's all good. I don't see why he would hurt you later on down the road?

What you do need to make sure of is that he's willing to make a commitment if he's not serious about the band it will hurt you.

Edit: Also if he is a hardcore dancer or scenester you have my sole permission to knob him in the spine, or if he tries to get some scenesters into any of your gigs you can plant a few in them aswell.

UtBDan
08-12-2005, 07:46 PM
You can't start a GOOD band with someone who only appreciates one type of music when there's people who like other types of music there. Simple as that. "Adding hardcore elements" would be fine but when you say he's not open to anything else, it's not fine.

~Rock~Guitarist
08-12-2005, 11:18 PM
ok, im in a band with a keyboardist/vocalist, a bassist and a drummer. i am the guitarist. i couldnt be happier with all the other musicians, they are very knowledgable about music theory and really know how to jam. the only problem is though, the bassist and drummer arent able to practice as much as the keyboardist and i would like. the keyboardist and i do a lot of collaborating with writing songs, and meet a lot to jam, and many times we have to jam with a combination of keyboard/guitar/bass or keyboard/guitar/drummer. we rarely all get together at once. anyways, i was wondering if you guys think this will work out, since in our style of music, the keyboards, vocals, and guitars are the main thing and the bass and drums just act as a rythm section. our songs are kind of arranged like jazz and i was thinking of just giving our bassist lead sheets (which he is very good at reading) that he could refer to in practices for all of our songs.

thanks in advance.

LochieW
08-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Just go with the hardcore drummer, but if he trys and get you guys to go complete hardcore, smack him one in the face.

DarkBlade14
08-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Hey, I don't know where I should ask this question, but anyways, do you guys think "By Storm" is a good band name? We play Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, kinda like 80/late 70's metal stuff, and a lot of our songs have the "galloping" guitar sound like maiden.

P. Townshend
08-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by DarkBlade14
Hey, I don't know where I should ask this question, but anyways, do you guys think "By Storm" is a good band name? We play Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, kinda like 80/late 70's metal stuff, and a lot of our songs have the "galloping" guitar sound like maiden.

It sounds pretty cliche, but it's not bad

Antzzang
08-13-2005, 01:37 AM
ummm i'm not sure what category this should be in but what do u do if u wanna do a career in music like bands and touring and **** but ur parents disagree and forbid u to do it?

P. Townshend
08-13-2005, 01:47 AM
ummm i'm not sure what category this should be in but what do u do if u wanna do a career in music like bands and touring and **** but ur parents disagree and forbid u to do it?

You stick it to the man and go anyway, but don't depend on them if you do that. Gotta get some dough at a crappy job first. Or go to college and major in music.

LochieW
08-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Whoa, serious?

Don't listen to them, and just get cash, then like run away or something.

Duff_McGee
08-13-2005, 02:44 PM
MSN Conversation that went down today.

Duff- Me

Yep - My drummer.

Read on...

Duff says:
You practice ****ing 8 hours a week, oh wow, an average of an hour a day, that's ****ing pathetic, who cares wether your drums sound like ****, deal with it, you'll get new ones eventually, so practice like ****ing hell while you have them, and ****ing tune your drums, you bitch about how much we sound like ****, well the little ****ing things count too, tuning them would ONLY help you

Duff says:
and why don't you learn complicated songs? They'd only make you better technically

Yep says:
my parents wont let me practice

Duff says:
practice out int he ****ing woods somehwere

Yep says:
i argue that i suck at this point, and i need to practice

Duff says:
it doesn't ****ing matter

Yep says:
seriously, i've asked

Duff says:
There's no valid reason as to why they won't let you, they're just bull****ting you

Yep says:
no ****

Yep says:
but they always pull this ****

* We started talking about sound proofing his room*

Yep says:
i have no way of getting a **** load of eggs

Duff says:
there's this palce

Duff says:
called

Duff says:
a store

Duff says:
where they carry various items

Duff says:
ranging from food to cleaning products

Duff says:
And what you do is

Duff says:
You walk in righT?

Yep says:
why would my parents buy a **** load of eggs

Yep says:
they wouldnt

Yep says:
i wouldnt either

Duff says:
So, you walk in, go to the 'dairy' section, stay with me now, and you pick up the eggs right? You take them to the 'cashier' (big word, I know, but don't get lost, you're almost there) and then you hand the 'money' and then you walk out

Duff says:
You know what you're ****ing problem is? You bitch and bitch about things but never do anything to ****ing fix it.

Yep says:
k

Duff says:
No

Duff says:
No ****ing 'k'

Duff says:
I'm not ****ing around, you little ****, it's time to get your ass in gear and do something with this ****ing 'band' instead of sitting on your ass and ****ing complaining all the goddamn time.Something you don't ****ing like or want to change? THEN ****ING CHANGE IT.I'm tired of you and that little bitch Derek always complaining
about how much you suck or wish you had a new whatever whatever

Duff says:
but you never actually do anything to ****ing fix it

Yep says:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=3823334#post3823334

Duff says:
I've ****ing seen it and it's not ****ing important at all

Duff says:
I'm not trying to be funny and I'm not slightly pissed

Duff says:
this is ****ing bulslhit

Duff says:
and I'm ****ing tired of it

Duff says:
all this little joking around and ****

Duff says:
It's going to end

Yep says:
nope

Duff says:
Guess what

Yep says:
what

*He then signed off right before I said*

Duff says:
You and Derek can **** off and find another bassist/guitarist whatever the **** I am because I'm ****ing through with the bitching and lack of progress, you bitch and never do anything to fix a problem and I'm tired of it, it's bull****.Get your ****ing ass in gear or I'm out.

So he never actually read the this last part^^

I know I seemed like an asshole during this conversation, but I was pissed for the entire duration of it...

My question to you UG'ers is, what do I do now?I'm just totally lost on what do or think about anything...because without my band or anything my life's just...bleh..boring as hell...I just don't know.....any give me their input on the situation?

boothy
08-13-2005, 02:59 PM
^You get high. You sound like you need something to help you relax. :rolleyes:

Seriously, have you never heard of getting along with you band members? Work on that first, then they will listen to you a lot more, and you get to keep your friendship, cause you can then tell them stuff without going apeshit on them.

Baba O'Riley
08-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by DarkBlade14

I don't really like it. The "By" reminds me of "Bisexual".

Well it depends on why they don't want you in the music industry. If the reason isn't very realistic you may be able to convince them differently. However, parents are very hard to sway so there's not much you can do.
Originally posted by P. Townshend
You stick it to the man and go anyway, but don't depend on them if you do that. Gotta get some dough at a crappy job first. Or go to college and major in music.

He should get an education and a job regardless of what happens because chances are against him for making it.

Originally posted by Duff_McGee
Duff says:
You practice ****ing 8 hours a week, oh wow, an average of an hour a day, that's ****ing pathetic,

8 hours a week is pretty good. He might not be able to practice anymore.
who cares wether your drums sound like ****, deal with it, you'll get new ones eventually, so practice like ****ing hell while you have them, and ****ing tune your drums, you bitch about how much we sound like ****, well the little ****ing things count too, tuning them would ONLY help you

The drums probably sound bad because they aren't tuned. Maybe he hasn't tuned them because he doesn't know how to. So instead of yelling at him why don't you at least give him a link to show how to do it?
Duff says:
and why don't you learn complicated songs? They'd only make you better technically

Ok that is very vague help. Exactly what is wrong with his playing? Learning more "complicated" stuff may not help him.

Yep says:
my parents wont let me practice

Duff says:
practice out int he ****ing woods somehwere

That's a practical solution! :rolleyes:
Duff says:
There's no valid reason as to why they won't let you, they're just bull****ting you

It doesn't matter if there's no good reason for not letting him practice because you are not his parents. As I said before it is very hard to change parents' minds.

Yep says:
i have no way of getting a **** load of eggs

Perhaps he doesn't have enough money.
Duff says:
You know what you're ****ing problem is? You bitch and bitch about things but never do anything to ****ing fix it.

Which is what you did for the entire conversation.

It seems to me that there are no serious problems but because of how you've acted there now will be.

My advice: You need to be more understanding towards your band mates in the future instead of being an asshole. Why should he listen to you if you're just being a total bastard and giving him grief? Remember you catch more bees with honey. You should get him a link on how to tune his drums so he will be able to do so. If he doesn't soundproof his room he should get a practice pad so he can still practice without using his kit. Finally you should explain what is wrong with his playing so we can help.

LochieW
08-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Whoa, you went nuts at him. Can't you put like something called "Pancakes" (Big rubberery things, bigger then practise pads) On his bass drums and snare drum and everything, so he can just practise. Kinda like playing an eletric but its not plugged in.

cactus
08-14-2005, 06:01 AM
dude relax, you don't have to go nuts on him, just talk to him properly, and 8 hours isnt pathetic, **** thats more practice than a lot of people, don't be a prick about it, trust me once you lose your band like that it sucks because you lose friends

Duff_McGee
08-14-2005, 09:08 AM

1.The drums probably sound bad because they aren't tuned. Maybe he hasn't tuned them because he doesn't know how to. So instead of yelling at him why don't you at least give him a link to show how to do it?

2.Ok that is very vague help. Exactly what is wrong with his playing? Learning more "complicated" stuff may not help him.

3.That's a practical solution! :rolleyes:

4.It doesn't matter if there's no good reason for not letting him practice because you are not his parents. As I said before it is very hard to change parents' minds.

4.Perhaps he doesn't have enough money.

5.Which is what you did for the entire conversation.

It seems to me that there are no serious problems but because of how you've acted there now will be.

6.My advice: You need to be more understanding towards your band mates in the future instead of being an asshole. Why should he listen to you if you're just being a total bastard and giving him grief? Remember you catch more bees with honey. You should get him a link on how to tune his drums so he will be able to do so. If he doesn't soundproof his room he should get a practice pad so he can still practice without using his kit. Finally you should explain what is wrong with his playing so we can help.

1. He knows how to tune, he just won't do it for some facking reason.

2. Everyone that's listenened to our songs always say the drummer isn't good.As in, it gets boring and uninteresting, because it's really simple stuff and it's just....blah.

3. :D

4.I knows it...

5. :D

6.I'll be the first to tell you that when I get even slightly pissed off I go fucked in the head, and it's not funny.I've always been this and will ultimately be the destruction of me.....And like I said he knows how to tune...he just...won't..And he actually started progress on soundproofing it..so go figure...

We're not even pissed at each other anymore, we both don't give a fuck anymore. I'm glad too, because he's like my best fucking friend in the world.

Random thought: I've probably said the word 'fuck' 452345234 times in the last 48 hours. :D

GibsonIdiot77
08-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Dude dont be such an ass to your drummer. You sound like a real dickweed after reading that. You complained about him always bitching but it seems like you bitch more than he does. Instead of yellin at him why don't you try to help him out somehow.

Baba O'Riley
08-14-2005, 01:39 PM
1. He knows how to tune, he just won't do it for some facking reason.

2. Everyone that's listenened to our songs always say the drummer isn't good.As in, it gets boring and uninteresting, because it's really simple stuff and it's just....blah.

3. :D

4.I knows it...

5. :D

6.I'll be the first to tell you that when I get even slightly pissed off I go fucked in the head, and it's not funny.I've always been this and will ultimately be the destruction of me.....And like I said he knows how to tune...he just...won't..And he actually started progress on soundproofing it..so go figure...

We're not even pissed at each other anymore, we both don't give a fuck anymore. I'm glad too, because he's like my best fucking friend in the world.

Random thought: I've probably said the word 'fuck' 452345234 times in the last 48 hours. :D

1. Alright I can't explain his thinking. :D

2. Complex drum parts do not equal a good drummer. Remember the most important part of drumming is to keep time. Some of the best drummers in the world just play very simple parts. Let's look at Steve Gadd. Steve Gadd is a great drummer. He has played for countless musicians. He plays a lot for Eric Clapton. When he does Steve Gadd plays very simple drum parts. Keeping in mind everything I said also remember that the drum part must fit the music. So perhaps in the songs you're playing (I'm not sure what you play exactly) his parts don't fit.

3. Yup...

4. If you knew that you shouldn't have kept complaining without giving a solution.

5. Yup again...

6. I think you should find a way to deal with your problem. Freaking out over nothing is going to affect all areas of your life. Ex. relationships with family, friends, girlfriends, co-workers, etc. You should work to solve it now so you don't have serious problems later. We all need to improve ourselves. :cheers:

Duff_McGee
08-14-2005, 05:29 PM

2. Complex drum parts do not equal a good drummer. Remember the most important part of drumming is to keep time. Some of the best drummers in the world just play very simple parts. Let's look at Steve Gadd. Steve Gadd is a great drummer. He has played for countless musicians. He plays a lot for Eric Clapton. When he does Steve Gadd plays very simple drum parts. Keeping in mind everything I said also remember that the drum part must fit the music. So perhaps in the songs you're playing (I'm not sure what you play exactly) his parts don't fit.

But we're metal, when are drum parts ever so simple in metal :D

Spynal
08-14-2005, 10:52 PM
But we're metal, when are drum parts ever so simple in metal :D

Metallica and Sabbath come to mind :)

Yeah, you definitely went overboard... I'm in 100% agreeance with Baba on his suggestions.

TimePheonix
08-16-2005, 05:39 PM
this is the problem...

we have 3 guitarists in our band but i feel we dont need 3. in my opinion 2 is enough, one lead and one rythem. well in my band, all of us want to play heavy sounding music except one person, which he wants to stay with soft rock like stuff. this is where the problem is...i dont want to kick him out, because hes a good friend. hes been playing for a while and hasnt written any riffs or actually learned to play some songs. he just plays the same riffs over and over again from a book that he learned guitar out of. occasionally he'll play a creed song or a puddle of mud song, but other than that, nothing. and when we play, all he'll basically do is just do scales over what me and the other guitarist play and he thinks all of our songs should just be improv songs so we cant play them the same ever again. me and the other guitarist started writing stuff already so we have bits and pieces of a songs started already and can play numerous songs. so these are the reasons i dont know if he'll be an asset to the band:

1. doesnt write any original stuff.
2. just plays the same stuff over and over again w/o learning new stuff.
3. doesnt want to play the same music as the rest of us.

i want to talk to him about this but i dont want him to get pissed off and go berserk and take the band down. so do i have a good enough reason to kick him out or should i just have a talk with him about his performance and if it doesnt improve then kick him out? thanks for the advice.

Corwinoid
08-16-2005, 05:40 PM
^ Good job, you found it.

I'll stop being an asshole and give you the best advice you'll ever get.

It's your band. Lead it.

TimePheonix
08-16-2005, 05:42 PM
^ all right....thanks...

slash_pwns
08-16-2005, 05:45 PM
^Good advice.

And as a side note: This problem is very common, "I don't want to lose my best friend, but I want him out of my band".

Well, you see, it's your own fault for starting a band with him. Did you think he was an asset in the first place.

Kick him out, and if he takes it the wrong way, he shouldnt be your friend anywho!

EDIT: DEFINE heavy music and soft rock. What bands are you playing that clash?

TimePheonix
08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
^ well when i first started it. he was one to be ahead of the game (before i actually got good) and then he just started to slow down, until he wasnt going anywhere with music. now whats happening, is what i posted before. so now me and the other guitarist are more creative than him, and are playing harder and heavier. so yeah.....thanks for the good advice slash_pwns and corwinoid...

slash_pwns
08-16-2005, 05:57 PM
What are the bands you want to play, and what are the bands he wants to play?

I'm thinking it might not be so bad.

TimePheonix
08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
the rest of us want to play stuff like living sacrifice, demon hunter, trivium, killswitch engage, etc. he wants to go no heavier than relient k.

slash_pwns
08-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Ok, the only band I've ever heard a song from there is Trivium... So good luck!

EDIT: Changed your avatar, eh? You couldn't have possibly detected that I was poking at Linkin Park, could you? :haha

TimePheonix
08-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Living Sacrifice and Demon Hunter are right there in the same boat, just as heavy but LS and DH are christian artists.

Relient K isnt heavy at all.

P. Townshend
08-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by TimePheonix
Living Sacrifice and Demon Hunter are right there in the same boat, just as heavy but LS and DH are christian artists.

Relient K isnt heavy at all.

lmao Relient K and Demon Hunter could not be any more different. They could pass as opposites.

Screech
08-16-2005, 10:16 PM
hey im playing my first show in 2 weeks at a party (don't know how many people) anyway these are the songs that im planning on playing(not in any order):

Outside-Staind
Broken-Seether
Only One-Yellowcard
Behind Blue Eyes-Limp Bizkit
Stare at the Sun-Thrice
Swing, Swing-All-American Rejects
Every Rose has its Thorn-Poison
Times Like These-Foo Fighters
Polly, Sliver, Lithium, Opinion, About a Girl-Nirvana
Yellow, The Scientist-Coldplay
Collide-Howie Day

i might add to it

1.)is this a good list (all acoustic BTW)
2.)how do i get the crowd into it (I'm not singing just playing)

thanks in advance

Corwinoid
08-16-2005, 10:49 PM
It's a little poppy, but it's perfectly fine as a cover set. You sure Stare at the Sun will be ok acoustic? That phased/flanged lead is kind of a big part of the song...

Your first show? Don't worry about the crowd. If the crowd's into the music, they'll get into it in their own way. Worry about you and your playing your first time up; just get some stage experience.

Screech
08-16-2005, 10:55 PM
It's a little poppy, but it's perfectly fine as a cover set. You sure Stare at the Sun will be ok acoustic? That phased/flanged lead is kind of a big part of the song...

Your first show? Don't worry about the crowd. If the crowd's into the music, they'll get into it in their own way. Worry about you and your playing your first time up; just get some stage experience.
these are the songs that i can play (or at least the ones that came to mind when i wrote this)
and there is an acoustic version of Stare at the Sun...easy as hell and a damn good song
thanks for the advice...i just don't wanna **** it up

Charlatan_001
08-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Our band has a battle coming up in less than one week, and we have maybe 1 or 2 days of 3-4 hour practices at most. Our setlist time is around 25 mins, and we have 3 songs ready, 1 song almost ready. That figures out to be around 16 mins.

Considering how much time we have left, should we just do two covers, or try to squeeze out an original and one cover?

Screech
08-18-2005, 07:19 PM
if you can, get an original but if not then covers will do fine...but usually in a battle people want to hear what kind of stuff your band can play...not what someone else wrote

just my two cents hope I helped