Ibanez vs Fender

PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez vs Fender

snakeyes9510
06-21-2005, 11:45 PM
i've been playin bass for 1 year, 8 months n played through that time with a Yamaha RBX170... yes yes i know, the cheapest of the Yamahas but i find it has a decent sound, now that my band is acually getting somewhere i need a new bass. I have a Peavey Basic112 bass amp(70 watts) and i am lookin at two different types of basses, fender and ibanez. My friend from school has a squier p-bass and i tried it out and it seems too small, it only has 20 frets(unlike my yamaha, which has 24 and a 35' scale). Our drummers dad has an Ibanez and he uses it during all his shows and it sounds pretty good. of course fenders will sound awesome too but the smaller scale kills me. Ibanez has the longer scale and more frets than a standard fender, so im stuck with this decision, Ibanez or Fender? help me out experianced bassists!:cheers:

ICPmushroomKNOT
06-22-2005, 12:00 AM
get what FEELS right with u.

mangablade
06-22-2005, 12:12 AM
probably ibanez. i've been looking at the SR series, mainly the SR 400 and SR500. the 500 has a mahogany body, wenge/bubinga neck, comes stock with Bartolini (SP?) electronics, and elixirs :) the finish is a nice dark brown mahogany stain. Active EQ. ya well i dont see anything wrong with it. unfortunately the price tag... ouch... 700 CDN ... about 520ish US i think?

SocKo?
06-22-2005, 12:36 AM
The music comes from you, not from the bass. Find an instrument that's going to allow you to get your sound.
quote from victor wooten
notice his emphasis on YOU and YOUR.

seriously. it is just a preferance. i love the jazz look myself. i just wish fender made 22 frets jazzes.

ibanez i hate their head stocks. but thats just me.

also i love the jazzy sound you get.

ibanez are great too, alot of their basses have the 22nd fret or 24th fret.

myself. if i ever get the money, i plan on get an american jazz and a sr900 or srx500. just so i can have the variety.

and of course a peavey fury 4 or ac bxp. gotta stay true to what you started with.

MetalUpTheAss
06-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Fender Deluxe American Jazz Flame Maple Top is much better than an Ibanez GSR200.

Joking aside, whatever you prefer in the store is whatever's best for you.

Bassman86
06-22-2005, 01:32 AM
It all depends on your feeling. I prefer Fender whilst others prefer Ibanez. I'm not saying Ibanez sucks. I've played Ibanezes I liked, but I just like Fender more.

Get what feels right to you.

mountaindew88
06-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Bassman86
It all depends on your feeling. I prefer Fender whilst others prefer Ibanez. I'm not saying Ibanez sucks. I've played Ibanezes I liked, but I just like Fender more.

Get what feels right to you.

:cheers:

It's COMPLETELY up to you what kind of bass you want. In my own opinion and experience, though, I prefer the feel and sound of the Fender four-string basses. Don't worry about having 22 or 24 frets, I mean, when you go that high you lose a ton of sustain, and do you really need all those frets? What songs do you play the most?

However, when you get into five and six strings, I must say Ibanez makes some nice basses for the price.

mud
06-22-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm only repeating what everyone else is saying by suggesting that you go into a music shop, play both, and purchase the bass that you preferr (alien concept, huh? :confused: )

I personally find Fender Jazz' too cumbersome. The bodies are huge, and I find it a bit tiring to have to stretch my arm like buggery. Which doesn't seem worth it, for 20 frets worth of notes. But that's me. You're not buying a bass for me.

SocKo?
06-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by mountaindew88

It's COMPLETELY up to you what kind of bass you want. In my own opinion and experience, though, I prefer the feel and sound of the Fender four-string basses. Don't worry about having 22 or 24 frets, I mean, when you go that high you lose a ton of sustain, and do you really need all those frets? What songs do you play the most?

However, when you get into five and six strings, I must say Ibanez makes some nice basses for the price.

you've been following me alot havnt u -.-

well alot of bass solos ive been trying do hav the 22nd fret.
i know not most songs out there hav it, but the songs ive been trying do. it really does kill the song if you ask me.

but yeh its just my personal preferance to hav that 22nd fret.

Emergancy Exit
06-22-2005, 08:06 PM
i am currently in the same delima bud whatever you like none is better than the other each brand of basses makes thier sound and feel out there for people to try and get what thay are comfterble with it

what i dont like about fenders or ibenezzes is just the bodys thay all look the same to me so that is why i am considering buying a ESP viper 104 ...but then again the jazz bass has this sort of thing to it that draws me in and ibenez has its own sound and feel that seems awsome too and Epiphone T-birds look cool too im not sure about the feel/sound yet but i hear promiseing things

i dont know what to get and no matter how much i play each instrament it doesent help me decide

mangablade
06-22-2005, 08:21 PM
to me, i think fenders are more classic and or jazzy style, and ibanez is more of a modern, maybe even modern rock style. but this is wat i figure. to have the perfect bass, 9 times out of 10 it will have to be made by you. so until you can do that well, get wat fits you pretty well, and dosnt cost too much. i picked a SR500 (will get it soon) becuz of the specs. i see all the woods used and the EQ and all that... i really think there isnt anything wrong with it. if i COULD change it and would be a on a unlimited budget... well then i would give it a better paint job, different input jack, make it a neck thru, have different tuners, get a better bridge. thats about it. other than the bridge and tuners, not much will make a big difference (the neck thru will, but i dont really need it). so thats why i think this is as close as i will get to what i like for 700 dollars canadian. so thats wat you should do. think about your style of music, your budget, and wat you want in a bass.

Matt.B
06-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Ibanez easily. Fenders just dont sound warm enough and r 2 "twangy", but Ibanez can get any sound u want, i just wish i had money 2 get 1:(

fenderman1011
06-23-2005, 03:10 PM
whatever u think is better. i have a fender and love it.

snakeyes9510
06-24-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by mountaindew88

I like playing alot of RHCP songs, and i like to break out a little inprovised riff every now and then during shows so i guess those higher notes/frets would help... i was also looking at the fender zone basses lately, i see that they have that 22nd fret... anyone every tried them? i like their look.. what about their sound?

snakeyes9510
06-24-2005, 01:10 AM
ever tried them* sorry hehehe typo:P

mountaindew88
06-24-2005, 02:07 PM
First off, don't make another post to correct a typo. That's just spam. If a typo bothers you, use the edit button.

To answer your question, the zone basses I've tried are alright, but way overpriced. Ibanez makes basically the same axe for a whole lot less. But it's up to you; go try them out.

J_Dizzle
07-19-2005, 03:38 PM
It kind of sounds like you want the Ibanez...

SocKo?
07-19-2005, 11:19 PM
i tried a fender american jazz the other day while visiting van.

i am soooo in love with it. i am definately getting one when i hav the money.

Cookie_master
07-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Fender, most definatly.
Ibanez is more a guitar brand, not a bass brand. But yeah, if you dont have much money, buy an ibanez

Cookie_master
07-20-2005, 03:06 PM
^^But thats my opinion. Try them, and then make up your mind

rockguitarist20
05-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Nothing beats ibanez necks for speed

Revelation
05-03-2008, 05:15 PM
ya i'd say it's how the neck feels to you because while fender jazzes are versatile ibanez can be too. ibanez will have a thinner faster neck than fender.

smb
05-03-2008, 05:17 PM
The two times I've decided I'm definitely buying a Fender I ended up buying Ibanez instead.

jazz_rock_feel
05-03-2008, 06:14 PM
You know what's CRAZY? By my calculations this thread is... three years old in a month and a bit.

fake_sk8r182
05-03-2008, 08:56 PM
a Yamaha RBX170... I have a Peavey Basic112 bass amp

I used the EXACT same gear for my first few years of playing :p:

These days I'm using a Fender.

Take note.

EDIT: Woahhhhhhhhhhhhh....who the hell bumped this beast?

smb
05-04-2008, 07:46 AM
*reported* rockguitarist20 for serial necroposting. Looking at his posting history that's all he does.

bass dude nick
05-04-2008, 09:19 AM
i've never played an ibanez bass but my MIM jazz is perfect for me atm

ScottB.
05-04-2008, 03:07 PM
I personally would lean towards a Fender but thats my opinion. I dont think anyone has suggested this...Fender Jazz 24 (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0264500552)
It sounds like a good choice to me, you have the Jazz looks, 24 frets and active seymour duncan p'ups.

litus
05-04-2008, 06:45 PM
depends
of your budget is 400$ or so ibanez are better build so they are a better deal for the price
if you are espending around 800$ MIA fenders are awesome

thefitz
05-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Nothing beats ibanez necks for speed
What the **** posessed you to necropost a THREE YEAR OLD THREAD!?

EDIT: ****, didn't mean to post after a report. I just saw the date and was so infuriated that I posted out of haste. Please take pity on me.

bornfidelity
05-04-2008, 07:31 PM
EDIT: ****, old thread. Didn't notice. Soz

( On a side note, there's two types of posts that are probably not very useful to
someone who starts a thread like this.

1) People just saying you should go and see what feels good yourself. Anyone can (and most people do, in fact) think of that.
2) People just saying 'get this, the other one sucks' (although posts like these are, in fact, more useful still than those of the first kind). )

Some people when they go into a store, every mid and high end bass feels nice (except for, perhaps, extreme cases such as the BTB 5 string necks) and every mid/high end bass sounds nice as well, given a suitable amp and some tweaking. Anyway.

On to the point. I just got an Ibanez SRX590 today, after considering several basses amongst which a Fender Jazzbass Deluxe (Vintage White) and an Ibanez SRX750. Well, the 750 wasn't that much better than the 590 and I actually liked the look better on the 590 (although the 750 is ofc wonderful as well), and I liked the SRX necks as much as the Jazzbass necks - difference in price; 400e. Ofcourse, the jazz bass is more versatile, tone-wise - the SRX series don't even sport a mid-EQ control - and the Vintage White is absolutely beautiful, but for me the difference wasn't big enough to pay a double price for. I would've been equally happy with both basses - but then again, perhaps I'm not 'picky' enough. And perhaps I should note that the SRXs actually have 24 frets (but that didn't really matter to me).
The Ibanez SRX (and BTB) four string necks are very slim (much more than the GSR series), kindof like the Jazzbass' first few frets.

Perhaps I should just say that, if you like how they both feel and you like how they both sound, you should consider other factors, such as, indeed, price (I'm halfway a new amp for not getting the jazzbass) and perhaps what your position is in the band (a subtle, background bass player probably wouldn't want to play a Mockingbird bass or something else flashy). Hell, you could even compare the finishes to your favourite shirts.
And, perhaps not unimportantly as well, think about how you could call the Jazzbass 'concept' recognisable, steady and a safe bet or you could call it standard, lacking innovation and perhaps boring. I have to admit that an Ibanez with a nice finish is in fact more spectacular.

Anyway, I hope I helped :)

smb
05-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Anyway, I hope I helped :)I really don't think you did ;)

bornfidelity
05-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Yea I know, asides from that the TS probably bought something three years ago :p: (just noticed)

anarkee
05-04-2008, 07:39 PM
No warnings, but I am closing this. Cheers.