Open String Buzz

PDA

View Full Version : Open String Buzz

PsychoFreak
06-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Ok! I have a Classical Guitar. And the G-String keeps buzzing.

On Saturday I brought some new strings to see if it would fix the buzzing. After putting them on, I find that a open G keeps buzzing still! The string isnt touching any of the frets. So what in god's name is happening? :(

Zamboni
06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Ahh, the godforsaken G-string. On almost all guitars, that is the problem string. I'm tempted to say it's a bridge issue. But the most likely thing is in fact a small fret touch. Look again.

SilentDeftone
06-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Try tilting your guitar to various angles while the G string is ringing. Also, the string may be a little tiny bit too thin for the space in the nut and/or bridge, and it's rattling there.

-SD :dance:

andrewhamilton
06-28-2005, 11:45 AM
alot of the time it's just because you are plucking the string to hard. I am probably wrong cuz im not acshoully seeing how hard you are hitting it...but just go easy on the string and see what happens.

PsychoFreak
06-28-2005, 11:46 AM
^ Tryed and tested. Makes sod all difference. lol.

jj1565
06-28-2005, 01:12 PM
^not sure if u mean u fixed it or not. but if its really not touching anything, and its buzzing from the nut like SD suggested, then rub a pencil tip in the cut of the nut on the g string. the graphite lubes it and it might help with the noise. it certainly wont hurt anything.

also use a small piece of paper flat against the fretboard see if u can feel where the string might be touching the board.

also check for loose tuning nuts, screws. something might have become loose after the string change and is now just rattling.

lastly, if the buzz noise is coming thru the amp and its bothering u, and its a saddle bridge guitar, then u can raise just the one string a small amount. that should stop the buzz.
if its a gibson type bridge u have to decide if u want to raise all the strings a small amount.

are the new strings the same gauge?

edit, sorry didnt realize its an acoustic.. then u have to raise ur action, by adjusting the saddle on the bridge, or by a neck adjustment.

donnie_darko14
06-28-2005, 01:21 PM
i've had that same problem one time if you dont wanna muck up your guitar and don't feel comfortorable with mods then basically play it and it will eventually go back to not buzzing thats how i did it but thats just because i personally don't feel comfortorable modding it

-DD :cheers:

Pjking
06-28-2005, 07:41 PM
i have the same problem except mine is with the e string. The sound just buzzes when i play on the first or second fret. i think its the nut.

jj1565
06-28-2005, 08:32 PM
what kind of guitar. ^

Lilee_Relvis
06-29-2005, 11:49 AM
If you have a strap, the lace might be getting caught, or you might be touching it with your left hand while doing a chord.

Jack3n665.5
06-29-2005, 12:55 PM
its because your action is too low. The string touches the fret and buzzes. But yes some sandpaper or even printer paper will work (I used the latter on my acoustic)

PsychoFreak
06-30-2005, 01:17 PM
How do I raise it?

jj1565
06-30-2005, 02:26 PM
adjusting the neck isnt really to fix ur action, but if u bow the neck foward a small amount then a side effect of that happens to be a slightly raised action, so...
u can get an allen key, loosen ur strings, and give ur truss rod a 1/8 turn to bow the neck slightly foward. that will move the neck from the strings just slightly, and might stop the fret buzz.
u need to turn the wrench counter clockwise. (altho every guitar is different, in pretty sure it should be a counter clockwise turn, Unless the truss rod isnt located in ur guitars headstock.)

after u adjust a truss rod u let the guitar sit for about a half hour before retuning it and playing.

or to raise the action on an acoustic, u can buy a new saddle and put it right on. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Acoustic_bridge_saddles/3/Acoustic_Bridge_Saddles.html

thats the small white plastic peice that fits right on the bridge.
they only cost a few dollars and most old ones come right off.

a new saddle hopfully is higher and that will raise the strings of the fretboard.

in addition, u can sand off the bottom of a saddle a little if it is too high off the fretboard.

DorkusMalorkus
07-21-2005, 08:36 PM
I had the problem with my D-string. I loosened the string and there was a small piece of plastic from the bridge sticking up next to the string, so I picked it off since I figured it that was what was making it rattel. It still rattles a little, but you have to pluck it really hard to hear it.

Blaque_Spectre
08-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Would all this stuff apply for a bass as well?

jj1565
08-01-2005, 08:20 PM
it would depend on the type of bass. this guy had an acoustic. electrics are earier to fix. but the ideas are the same.

what type of bass and where are u getting the buzz? which fret.

Blaque_Spectre
08-02-2005, 03:14 PM
i have an electric ibanez gsr200 and i get the buzz around the third fret on all my strings, i guess it's because its a starter bass that it's making the buzzing noise.

jj1565
08-02-2005, 06:40 PM
well i havent played bass in over 10 years but, ill see if i can help.
three things to check.

first, your action. usually if u adjust the saddles u can get the strings a little higher and stop fret buzz. but ur problem is straight across the fret and not one string, so all the strings would be lifted and this might cause an action thats too high for ur tastes. (there might be two small screws per saddle? then u would need a tiny allen wrench to turn those and raise the strings.)

second, a bad fret. does it look like this fret is a little higher than the rest. maybe its not rounded like the others. this can cause buzz and on a low end guitar, pulling a fret might be too expensive.

third. ur truss rod. i think this might help a little. usually if the neck is too straight ull get buzzing across one of the middle frets. because there isnt enough gap. but urs is on the third. so maybe just the smallest turn will turn ur straight neck slightly forward so u can clear that high fret.

ok so unless the action is already too high, raise it first. then examine ur frets, and if it still buzzes a little then adjust the truss rod.
loosen ur strings, give it a 1/8" counter clockwise turn. (left) this will give the neck a bit more bow, and give u more space at ur middle frets. then wait an hour before retuning it and playing.

GENIOUS1
09-20-2006, 03:48 PM
I have a Vintage SG and my G string buzzes on the 1st fret and ive tried rising the bridge and it only stops when it is too high to play properly. Ive also tried tightening and losening the truss and adujusting the tune-o-matic but nothing helps. even playing it quietly doesnt help much.
any ideas?

jj1565
09-20-2006, 06:22 PM
first of all dont tighten and loosen the truss rod.
it's not ur problem, unless all the frets are buzzing, and even if u wanted more of a bend to try to clear the first fret, u would most likely just need a 1/8 - 1/4" turn in a counter clockwise direction.
after the very small turn u then wait an hour for it to settle. you can do that or....

it could just be that the cut in the nut is too low for that string.

you can go to a thicker gauge string.
you can just change That string to the same gauge but thicker by 100ths diameter.
or you can build up the nut with a drop of white glue and baking soda sprinkled on top.
shaped with a toothpick wrapped in fine sand paper.

but first shove a bit of paper under the string in the nut. this will lift the string and clear the fret.
that should give u an idea of how much adjusting ull need.

lpmarshall
02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I had this problem today, but I detuned the guitar and tune it back to normal, and the buzzing stopped

Parafly9
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I get it on my Low E. I was told it's normal by the guitar place and that if it's buzzing I'm just hitting it poorly or too hard.