Lesson to learning chords (beginner)

PDA

View Full Version : Lesson to learning chords (beginner)

TheGimpMaster01
07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Chords are probably one of the most important things in guitar playing. This is due to the fact that everything is built off chords, whether you like it or not. If you like learning chords by ear, or want to learn how, it is usually very easy. You listen to the bass line of a song and then the harmonies (if the chords aren't straightfoward like a simple Em chord, or A7, etc.).

Getting started
So you got your guitar. Great, you've learned how to tune it and you can do a couple of little things with it. Chords are something you should probably learn first, as i've already said, everything builds off of chords.

Unless otherwise specified, most songs are written in standard tuning (EADGBE). Some people prefer to tune their guitars to open chords, such as G (GBDGBD), or E (EAEG#BE). This doesn't happen to frequently so the beginner like you shouldn't worry about it.

Playing Chords
We'll begin by learning the E major chord. It is fingered as follows:

e||-0-|
B||-0-|
G||-1-|
D||-2-|
A||-2-|
E||-0-|

Play the A string with the 4th finger, the D string with the 3rd finger, and the G string with the index finger. Ok, yes, you can laugh, that string is called the G string.... haha

When you play this chord, make sure that it doesn't sound muted in any way. It is easy as a beginner to accidentally mute strings with your fingering hand. There is really only one solution to that problem, and that is, practice the guitar everyday until it doesn't sound muted any more. You will build finger strength and that problem will go away by itself.

Now, let's learn about all the chords in the E major chord family.

They are as follows: E, A, B, C#m, F#m, and more, but those will be too difficult for the beginner to execute.

The A chord is played like this:

e||-0-|
B||-2-|
G||-2-|
D||-2-|
A||-0-|
E||---|

Again, make sure you don't hear any muted strings. THis chord is slightly more difficult to play becuase you have to have three fingers on the same fret.

You will learn the B chord in the next lesson, which will be on barre chords.

Those two chords can get you started.

I will list a few more here that a beginner would benefit from learning:

D C G F
e||-2-|-0-|-3-|-1-|
B||-3-|-1-|-3-|-1-|
G||-2-|-0-|-0-|-2-|
D||-0-|-2-|-0-|-3-|
A||---|-3-|-2-|---|
E||---|---|-3-|---|

I hope i've helped you get down the basics of chord playing!! THe next lesson will be on barre chords, remember. Get that finger strength up!

lEcheloNl
07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
hmm its good but not nearly as informative the beginners may not even know what ebgdae is and they may not know what positons to put their fingers, yea you said what finger goes where but how to get it there is a problem. This is good attempt at helping beginners but they should really just goto the millions of websites and books that teach this in much greater detail

TheGimpMaster01
07-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by lEcheloNl
hmm its good but not nearly as informative the beginners may not even know what ebgdae is and they may not know what positons to put their fingers, yea you said what finger goes where but how to get it there is a problem. This is good attempt at helping beginners but they should really just goto the millions of websites and books that teach this in much greater detail

sorry for trying then jesus you people suck

lEcheloNl
07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/TheGimpMaster01/gregplaying1.jpg
yea once you grow up you will learn to appreciate constructive crit instead of getting mad at me for not saying you are so great at writing lessons and lie to your small face

slash_pwns
07-01-2005, 06:55 PM
He's right this isnt great. Beginners need to be walked through each step extensivley, and you failed to do that big time. You can still add parts, add some fingering diagrams, take out the prat where you say everything is from chords, tell how to form them (if you know), tell them what they need to know first, take out the open tunings part, tell them what notes are in the chords, maj, min, dim and aug triads, etc...

TheGimpMaster01
07-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by lEcheloNl
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/TheGimpMaster01/gregplaying1.jpg
yea once you grow up you will learn to appreciate constructive crit instead of getting mad at me for not saying you are so great at writing lessons and lie to your small face

well, and uh, too bad that's not me......

slash_pwns
07-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Shall I get the other two people in your band? lol

Are you going to finish this lesson at all?

TheGimpMaster01
07-02-2005, 04:41 PM
no, because i'm a ****ing retard remember? i'm a "narrow minded toilet dwelling dunderhead"? right? i am, aren't i

Rankles
07-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Closed and warned, please grow up and learn to accept criticism, that's what this forum is for after all.