how important is stage presence?

PDA

View Full Version : how important is stage presence?

thenexthendrix
07-15-2005, 07:05 PM
just curious on your thoughts on stage presence, I see a lot of people just standing on stage staring at their hands

beadhangingOne
07-15-2005, 07:10 PM
its important. you dont want to bore your audience. but dont go for crazy **** if u know u cant do it. then youll be embarrased. dont try to throw your guitar up in the air and catch it with your teeth or some ****. but entertain your crowd... or look like your having fun when u play

beadhangingOne
07-15-2005, 07:11 PM
btw i voted for the try not to be cocky

ANTIHIPPY102
07-15-2005, 07:13 PM
at least make it look like you are having fun

WrathofKahn
07-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Don't be cocky, but you have to get up there and rock the crowd, not just their ears.

ibanez4life SZ!
07-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Have fun with it, don't overdo it, and get into the music, but make sure you can play your material along with it.

ark
07-15-2005, 07:17 PM
stage presense doesnt just mean, you go nuts and jump around on stage,

ive seen bands that dont go crazy, but they love what they are playing and it shows, and when it shows, everyone can feels it which heightens the bands stage presense.

when you are shy and uncomfortable on stage, then it really kills the feel of the music. If you cant get in to it, how can the audience?

i say stage presense makes or breaks a band's live performance.

mw7
07-15-2005, 07:19 PM
i think you should be as crazy as you can on stage because if you dont move, the crowd wont move. You'll look like a loser if you are boring and just look at your guitar when you are playing. Put in some excitement! It will pump up the crowd! You'll get a bigger applause, a better reputation better everything!

FenderStrat1337
07-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by mw7
i think you should be as crazy as you can on stage because if you dont move, the crowd wont move. You'll look like a loser if you are boring and just look at your guitar when you are playing. Put in some excitement! It will pump up the crowd! You'll get a bigger applause, a better reputation better everything!

:cheers: I totally agree, I have a hard time with attaining good stage presence, but bands that arent very good can make up for it with good stage presence (ex. the Sex Pistols)

renato
07-15-2005, 07:23 PM
for most of your audience its not the incredibly enlightened chops you played that night that will be what they remember, a live performance has to be a show, and that is what stage presence is about. Most of the gigs i best remember was because of some action by the performer, not their performance. Alanis Morisette was pretty crazy. But the most amazing stage presence i have witnessed was Charles Aznavour, in a white suit. This man is just too cool. and he's over 70! And, of course, mick jagger (even though my seats were probably a mile away!)

Screech
07-15-2005, 07:59 PM
when you play a show, you shouldn't just stand around and play...you gotta move and get the crowd into it so they'll want to se you again.
have fun when you're on stage and people will have fun watching you when you're on stage

rageandlove04
07-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Just try to have fun, that's why you're there in the first place isn't it? But sometimes it can get a little distracting if there's too many things going on at once. Stage presence is more about interaction with your bandmates and the audience than about jumping around or shooting fireworks from your guitar (no offense ace)

ElectricMonk
07-15-2005, 09:06 PM
stage presence is often more important than music.

To go down well live, you have to have it

Anghellic
07-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Only a few bands can get away with standing on stage like a bunch of gargoyles, but for the most part I think that it's important to have a strong stage presence to get the audience into you performance.

Baba O'Riley
07-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by ibanez4life SZ!
but make sure you can play your material along with it.

That's a very good point. If you can't comfortably move around when you're playing you shouldn't do it because it will detract from the music.

Originally posted by ElectricMonk

Another very good point. People are often fooled by the visual. Remember every gig is a show and people want a good show.

Personally when I play I put a lot into my stage show. Ex. I move the entire time, lots of jumping, headbanging, playing solos on the floor, dramatic poses (yes that sounds incredibly stupid and conceited but it's not :D), etc.

I feel that having a great stage presence adds a lot to your show. True, some don't have them and are still excellent bands but it helps to have it.

However, you should never have an over inflated ego on your stage besides no one likes an arrogant bastard. Sometimes you can get away with it when you achieve superstardom but quite frankly you shouldn't aim to be a total moron.

ElectricMonk
07-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Stage presence isn't just about jumping around though - it can be the way you are just totally absorbed by your music, it can start with your clothes...the lighting and the way you stand, you have to move...but try and get your own style...thats what I reckon.

For examples of wierd stage presence look at Nick Cave and the Bad seeds, P.J.Harvey, Radiohead...do something a little diffferent

I wanna form a band soon and as part of our shows I am really into the idea of great lighting and video projections...although they don't make a crap band good, they can really set the mood and make your music more accessible. That really helps too especially if you are playing a lot of originals...you need every gram of connection you can get woith the audience, because most of them will not know your songs and may get bored real quick

ThePartyBoy
07-15-2005, 10:36 PM
In my opinion, stage prescence is what separates a good band from an ab-so-****in'-loutely phenomenal band.

Led Zeppelin was great because Robert and Jimmy both had stage prescence. AC/DC are great live because Angus (And Bon in the 70s) have/had stage prescence. Guns N' Roses were able to move audiences because Axl Rose was phenomenal on stage, and Slash put so much feeling into his playing. Stage prescence is what makes a band, dude.

But then again tha's only my opinion ;)

samstallard
07-15-2005, 11:10 PM
i think you should gow with the flow ............ ..... ............

Mokumo
07-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ThePartyBoy
In my opinion, stage prescence is what separates a good band from an ab-so-****in'-loutely phenomenal band.

Led Zeppelin was great because Robert and Jimmy both had stage prescence. AC/DC are great live because Angus (And Bon in the 70s) have/had stage prescence. Guns N' Roses were able to move audiences because Axl Rose was phenomenal on stage, and Slash put so much feeling into his playing. Stage prescence is what makes a band, dude.

But then again tha's only my opinion ;)

:golfclap: That was unbelievably well said.

mnbaseball91
07-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Last night I played a 1 song set with about 20 other bands (each played one song). My band played Sweet Child O Mine, one other played Rock and Roll (Zepplin), and a third played The Trooper (Iron Maiden). Pretty much everyone else sucked. Of the three of us, we were the only ones that moved around much on stage. I dressed up as Slash, everybody moved around, and we made it obvious that we were having a good time. At the end of the show, pretty much everyone agreed that our song was the most enjoyable (I don't want to use the word best, but that's what I heard ;) ). Why? Because we had stage presence. I was up on the moniters every time I had a lead, everybody was looking out into the crowd, and that kind of thing. You don't need to jump up and down the whole time or play guitar behind your back, just let the crowd know that you know they're there, and that you're having fun.

SomeEvilDude
07-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I voted 'better playing is what I focus on'.

It's often good to look at the stage and see a group of musicians dancing round wildly, and running back and forth and gyrating round or whatever, it makes the show more exciting.
But if the music is bad, no amount of 'stage presence' and showing off with your 'moves' is going to change that.

As a guitarist/vocalist for a three piece band, it's hard to interact with the crowd during songs, but regardless of the fact that we don't move around much, we focus on playing, we enjoy ourselves, and generally we play a good show.

People like Eric Clapton and David Gilmour (my musical idols) have little to no stage presence, and they're both fantastic. That says enough really. Focus on the music more than flashy 'moves' and that's getting your priorities right.

Of course, this is all opinion, so don't go crazy at me for it if you disagree.

mnbaseball91
07-16-2005, 12:32 PM
^Actually, I disagree with the part about Clapton not having stage presence. He's very animated when he sings - he doesn't just stare off into space, he makes faces and looks at people and sways a bit. Stage presence doesn't have to be jumping and running all over the place, just remind people that they're watching you play live, not listening to a CD.

bobjewell87
07-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Seeing as its only my bassist and I at the front of the stage I have to put the effort in.

Paint
07-16-2005, 02:28 PM
umm...stage presence is probably the biggest thing that kids look for when they see a band live. they want the energy. if a band is just standing there, then people get bored.

ALTHOUGH--good playing is also important. you def dont want to suck and keep ****ing up on stage.

keep it equal, i focus more on presence cause i know my **** ;)

phrank
07-16-2005, 02:29 PM
stage presence seperates rock music from everything else! for every single rock concert that you do, you should always go nuts and defintely over-do it, because if you dont have any stage pressence, you might as well start playing on a clarinet and work for an orchestra. if it looks "stupid", thats even more reason to go crazy. the greatest frontmen of all times started out as "looking stupid" and look where they are today. people used to think that freddie mercury looked stupid with his whole homosexual presona, but now he is one of the greatest frontman of all times. people thought slash looked stupid wearing a little top hat, but now thats one of rock&rolls greatest treasures.

Matt_Malmsteen
07-16-2005, 03:13 PM
I voted for the trying not to be cocky option....I think that although stage presence is a big thing prancing around like an idiot is uncalled for......Joe Perry and Slash...they have awesome stage presence, I watch em and I think "****, they ****ing rock!"....amazing...

RandyEllefson
07-16-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm curious what kinds of actions you guys think are cocky.

1. Throwing a guitar in the air
2. Windmills
3. Tilting up the guitar neck on, say, a high note
4. A foot on a monitor

I couldn't think of anything else offhand. Which #s would you vote for or add?

It never occured to me that people might think someone was cocky from performing...

mnbaseball91
07-16-2005, 09:01 PM
^ I think only #1 is cocky. The rest are legitimate moves that actually come from somewhere. Tilting the guitar neck makes it much easier to do stretches, putting a foot on the monitor is helpful for seeing the fretboard better (and lets face it, it looks ultra rock star), windmills sort of come naturally as you play certain riffs. Throwing your guitar is just plain dumb.

ThePartyBoy
07-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by mnbaseball91
^ I think only #1 is cocky. The rest are legitimate moves that actually come from somewhere. Tilting the guitar neck makes it much easier to do stretches, putting a foot on the monitor is helpful for seeing the fretboard better (and lets face it, it looks ultra rock star), windmills sort of come naturally as you play certain riffs. Throwing your guitar is just plain dumb.

Haha, I found you sig funny, about not playing in tune, because I have the same guitar, and it's intonation is ****ed up or something, so my guitar is never actually in tune.

BrianApocalypse
07-17-2005, 03:17 PM
very important indeed. You can have terrible songs, but your stage presence will be fun.

A lot of good bands just play and don't muck about moving around and acting up. Now that worked for the ramones, but it was original then. So stage presence is arguably more important than the music ones you have the audience's attention.

Danny7
07-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Stage Presence is cool, defiantely, but it depends how its done. There is definately a point where it becomes stupid, and definately a point where it becomes cheesy.

You know you've failed when you are all doing co-ordinated N*Sync/Busted style choreographed stuff; although saying that, syncrhnosied jumps at one point in your set or something like that looks cool and explosive.

Sometimes I find it hard to get my teeth into a song enough to rock out; usually the slow ones... if a song has a cool groove I like to get my Frusciante on, and get the crotch going though.

:P

renato
07-18-2005, 08:14 PM
I once played a gig in a dressing gown and my hair in curlers...

ThePartyBoy
07-18-2005, 08:18 PM
I just finished watching Guns N' Roses last song performed together (The original Guns, well, without Izzy and Adler, but you know what I mean). It was Paradise City, in Argentina, and it was one of the most exciting things I have ever seen, and Axl's voice wasn't even that great that night, he's had better nights, but the energy, and the feelings from Axl and Slash, is what makes their concerts unforgetable, and even epic. I would do anything to be able to see one of their shows. So much raw human emotion put out. That's why GnR will always be one of my all time faves.

Just my opinion though.

PB

ThePartyBoy
07-18-2005, 08:20 PM
And I know I just rambled in that post, but I was just saying that, stage prescence can be what truly makes a band outstanding, in GnR's case. I mean, they made great music, but if anyone has seen them live, they know what I'm talking about.

LochieW
07-19-2005, 04:16 AM
I try to have fun.

eastern_riffs
07-19-2005, 07:15 AM
I keep into the limit.

Never too much however,it just shows we're being kind of immature.

That's what it's like here.LoL.

Punkarse
07-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Fact: Poor musicians make up for their lack of musical expertise by posing about on stage.

Although.

Fact: Hendrix was a great guitarist. But he wouldn't have been so revered if he just sat and played quietly to himself instead of trashing the stage and burning everything.

Stage presence should not be a cover for musical ineptitude, instead it can make a great musical performance even more gripping and exciting for the audience.

fix_my_chariot
07-19-2005, 10:44 AM
stage presence is what makes a live show. sitting at home, listening to a cd, there's no visual stimuli, only aural. so you can get into a song either way. but if you're actually watching the person create the music, their aura has to work in tandem with their sound, otherwise the audience will be disappointed and downright confused as to why the guitarist looks so stoic when he's playing such an exciting solo. as an irrelevant side note, i played in a battle of the bands a few months ago. one of the criteria for judging was 'stage presence'. we got full marks. so that was awesome. and we won. woo!

Tea+Patrol
07-19-2005, 12:47 PM
I have seeing where to much "stage pressence" causes a band to suck cause then they cant even play through a song without messing it up, hitting wrong notes, messing up on timming, and all of that fun stuff. This faggy emo band was up and as it was was getting no love cause well, it was emo. But the guy tried to do that one where you spin your guitar around your neck via the strap...well the dumb ass didnt even have the strap locks and his guitar went flying into the crowd. Best advise get good at playing before you get good at stage pressence!

/\/\()()
07-19-2005, 01:51 PM
the most importabt thing aside from playing

earpoo
07-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Like it was said above, it is probably more important than the actual music in most live scenarios.

However, I would give a few peices of advice:

1. Don't force it if it just isn't working with the song. If you just aren't feeling the song and you aren't naturally rocking out I'd advise against forcing anything because it is really easy to spot from and audience's perspective and it will hurt your bands performance as a whole. Still try to get into it but don't force any over the top antics.

2. Adjust your level of presence according to where you are playing. Sure jumping around and throwing your guitar every which way is cool when your playing at a battle of the bands or somthing but make sure you don't do these same antics while your playing with your churches choir or somthing. You will look extremely dumb.

3. You might find it hard to slip some stage presence in there if your the bands front man. Usually you are to busy to pay attention to this, however just let it come natural and enjoy yourself. Feel free to step away from the mic at parts in the song when you aren't singing to rock with your band. Also somthing that really scores points with the crowd is any sort of crowd interaction. It may seem cheesey to you at the time but the crowd lives for this. Also try to be as clever and charming as you can. Feel free to slip in a couple of one liners (related to the show or songs you played of course) in between songs or invite some audience members you see are really getting into it onto the stage to rock with you.

I'd say a perfect of good stage presence can be seen in Dave Grohl. Dave really controlls the audience and gets them into the music without going over the top or effecting his quality of playing.

Steph Bets
07-20-2005, 02:15 AM
i've got an art and music soiree at my school and we're pretty scared about playing!
we're playing jumpiing jack flash, prisoner of society and stuck in the middle with you. tips?

Steph Bets
07-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by ThePartyBoy
Haha, I found you sig funny, about not playing in tune, because I have the same guitar, and it's intonation is ****ed up or something, so my guitar is never actually in tune.

AHAHA i didnt even notice that! thats cool. my first sigging. thats my prob with performance- its never in tune. and the school has EXACTLY HE SAME GUITARS

Master Of Shred
07-20-2005, 03:24 AM
I focus more on my playing than 'focusing' on the stage presence, altough I guess my stage presence does rock :p: lots of people seem to like it

disuse_PUNK
07-20-2005, 11:56 AM
just ****in rock out....but don't let it substitute for u're playing....
I played at gig awhile back, and some of the audience told me that my ryhtmn guitarist was CRAZY n **** like that, but then they said my stageing was cool too.....then I asked who sounded better....they said me, and I said that's what's more important....have fun but don't ruin u're song either....it's gotta be balanced.

TBA
07-20-2005, 04:39 PM
I say as long as you sound good and look good it shouldnt matter cause it could be really simple and you sound great so the adinance doesnt know how easy it is

groll01
07-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by beadhangingOne
btw i voted for the try not to be cocky

i vote....learn to use the edit button, ur stage presence has gotta but dont sacrafice ur playin

btw windmills rule!!!!!!!!!

YaBoss
07-21-2005, 01:29 PM
I think you should just rock out but control yourself when performing.Everything you do should just be with the flow,if your performance looks fake trust me people will notice you.People will like you if you can do lightning speed solos and stand stiff,but if you can shred while going nuts and making the crowd feel it the will love you.

Pitch_axis
07-22-2005, 04:41 PM
you could always wear gloves, a bucket and a mask and do the robot

Zoso136
07-22-2005, 05:51 PM

****ing poser

Zoso136
07-22-2005, 05:56 PM

dammit i hope you get stabbed in the face by a neutered shi,tzu

boothy
07-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Don't double post. Also, don't make offensive disagreements without any point backing it up.

I say the music is still more important, but it;s inda 40% 60%,quite close for live performances. I saw 3 live bands today, the first one, the music was crap, but Stage Presence was awesome, everyone there moving and all, second band stage presence was awful, but music good. Reception so much worse. Third band had both, and it was, simply put, amazing.

Pitch_axis
07-22-2005, 10:08 PM
poser? ozzy himself had some crazy stage presence, bitting the head off that bat was stage presence and thats one of the first things people think of when they think of ozzy. just look at your avatar as proof............ dumbass

MeGaDeth2314
07-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Stage Presence is definatley a good thing, as long as you don't go so crazy you look like an idiot. If you're throwing your guitar or bass or whatever around like a lunatic and it gets to the point where you cant play the music, then thats too much. A lot of jumping and running around, playing behind your back, playing between your legs, hopscotching, whatever, is ok, as long as you can play the music while you're doing it.