Guitar strings all rusty

PDA

View Full Version : Guitar strings all rusty

PianoBlackSP
07-16-2005, 02:09 AM
Yeah I have had a set of Beefy Ernie Ball Slikies on my PRS for a little bit now and the treble strings are getting all dirty, I guess rusty? I dont know but uh they dont exactly look or feel to great to play, is their anyway to fix them? Something to clean them off? Or should I just slap on a new set of strings?

burndttoast
07-16-2005, 02:24 AM
If it is rusty, you should just "slap on a new set of strings." And to prevent furthur rusting of the strings, you should purchase Elixir strings with Gortex. It's like a thin layer of rubber or something on the strings so moisture cannot oxidize them.

Emery17
07-16-2005, 02:27 AM
CHANGE IT! not worth the strings snappin on ur arm or ur face.

narmi
07-16-2005, 04:56 AM
After you put on a new set of strings - wipe them down after every jam

And also, imo, Ernie Ball Strings = rust magnets

:)

Logz
07-16-2005, 06:45 AM
keep the rusty strings on... rust pwns.

seriously, change em, if there getting rusty, you've obviously over used them. Try some d'addarios and like narmi said, wipe them down.

leaping badger
07-16-2005, 07:14 AM
yeah i have that problem with my ernie ball strings, change them as soon as possible, it ain't gonna be pretty if they snap on you.

wipe them after every use

Logz
07-16-2005, 07:16 AM
^

string snaps -> cuts hand -> Rust in cut -> Pain -> Death -> dusty guitar...

i dont like how this could end up

narmi
07-16-2005, 07:35 AM
:haha

I have a couple more Ernie Ball sets left after they have been used I doubt I will use Ernie Balls again - unless I play in a huge band where I have guitar techs changing my strings every night :)

:haha
D'Addarios, imo are the best. I have only ever had one set and they did not rust for months

After putting on a new set of Ernie Balls they began to rust within a week :eek:

jj1565
07-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by PianoBlackSP
Yeah I have had a set of Beefy Ernie Ball Slikies on my PRS for a little bit now ...

just curious, how long were they on brfore they gunked up?

GLP standard
07-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah, you gotta change them. Theres really nothing to do to clean them. The oils from your skin make then like that. Get a set of D'Addario 9-42's Thats what I always use, and wipe them down with guitar or fretboard polish after every use!! It should prolong the life of them by about a month.

Logz
07-16-2005, 01:05 PM
^ I always change mine after a month.

PianoBlackSP
07-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by jj1565
just curious, how long were they on brfore they gunked up?

Not very long at all, a couple of months? Hell maybe just one. This is coming form somone who has two guitars and alternates between them time to time just so you know. I really liked them but this is the first time Ive had strings this f'ed up before I replace them.

And thank you all for your comments. I'm gonna switch over to some D'Addario XLs I got for free couple weeks back. Hopefully the strings are as good as some of you make them sound. Another question, I use a brass guitar slide from time to time, is this a possible source leading to my string's bad condition?

A1D3N-T4B
07-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by narmi
After you put on a new set of strings - wipe them down after every jam

And also, imo, Ernie Ball Strings = rust magnets

:)
why would you want to put jam on them in the first place, thats just asking for trouble :confused:

narmi
07-17-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by A1D3N-T4B
why would you want to put jam on them in the first place, thats just asking for trouble :confused:

If your sweet tooth starts to nag you while you are playing, just lick

;)

seljer
07-17-2005, 07:07 AM
I've been getting the same kind of thing. I've had D'addario .9s on for about a month and a half now and after 3 or 4 days the thin strings get really gunked up. If i run my finger up the entire string i get a bunch of dark green crud on it.

muzz666
07-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Logz
^

string snaps -> cuts hand -> Rust in cut -> Pain -> Death -> dusty guitar...

i dont like how this could end up
:haha:haha:haha

/\/\()()
07-17-2005, 06:28 PM
don't ever use strings to the point of rust.......to prevent this from happening again try some DR Strings

likesilverr
07-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Logz
keep the rusty strings on... rust pwns.

seriously, change em, if there getting rusty, you've obviously over used them. Try some d'addarios and like narmi said, wipe them down.

hey logz daddy i'll send you some hersheys if you help me out

what do you use to wipe the strings down.

Logz
07-18-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by likesilverr
hey logz daddy i'll send you some hersheys if you help me out

what do you use to wipe the strings down.

Yea!! Brilliant cheers bud! Ill have to be at end of month, i get paid then, but ill PM you in a sec

:cheers:

Thedarkwolf
07-18-2005, 05:12 AM
i recall someone advising to boil the strings

narmi
07-18-2005, 06:18 AM
w00t changing my strings today - can't wait

Logz
07-19-2005, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Thedarkwolf
i recall someone advising to boil the strings

Yea, it restores the original tone for a while.

But id rather buy a new set of strings than take them off, flatten them out, boil them in water, then put them back on agen

Met2609
07-21-2005, 06:17 PM
id just buy some new ones and 'slap em on"

taylortelecaste
04-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Hey all... new to the board, but i've noticed a lot of comments regarding not being able to clean strings and best approaches. I've been playing for about 26 years or so... there is only one thing i know that cleans old dead strings and that would be steel wool. Works great, just be careful of the fretboard.

Oil on your fretboard on each string change will keep your baby happy.

MOST IMPORTANT: cleaning strings is one thing, not having to ever touch them is something else. I only saw one post referencing this and it seems most of the people here barely noticed. I cycle between 6 guitars... mostly play two of them a majority of the time. I had been given a Taylor acoustic from the factory (yea i know... hell of a gift) and played it about a month and put it back in the case and didn't touch it for almost 5 months. Pulled it out and thought... this is going to suck... rusty nasty strings but i just want to play it a little. To my suprise, it was smooth and clean with quality sound! WHAT... 5 months? Never seen or heard of such a thing.

Went and looked at what the factory had placed on the guitar for strings and they used ELIXIR strings. http://www.elixirstrings.com/index.html These strings are dipped in gortex and DONT RUST. They barely lose sound quality after months of not being used. Yes they cost a little more... but when do you ever get to play strings for more than a week before they start rusting up and losing sound quality. These things last for months (as long as you don't break them that is).

The only other item i noticed is the guy who posted 9s for his strings. I started way back in the day with 8s and 9s. Wish i hadn't. What makes for beautiful guitar sound is developing the strength in your fingers. You'll never get there with spiderweb thin strings. Not only is the actual string tone poor, you lose the opportunity to develop the strength in your hand you so desperately need.

My suggestion is a minimum of 10's... i usually use 11s but will practice bends and scales with 12's on an electric. If however you don't have multiple guitars, I would suggest 10s and give it a month or two of good work and you will thank me later.

Forgot to mention... D'Addario also has a line of gortex strings.

Good luck all... and keep picking...

Fecker
04-24-2006, 07:37 AM
don't boil guitar strings, no use of doing that
bass strings are damn expensive so it's best to boil them a couple of times

but to prolong string life, wash your hands before you play, and wipe the strings with some sort of cloth (like cotton for example) after you are done. else -> dark-green crud and rust on strings

jj1565
04-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Hey all... new to the board, but i've noticed a lot of comments regarding not being able to clean strings and best approaches. .

Oil on your fretboard on each string change will keep your baby happy.

Went and looked at what the factory had placed on the guitar for strings and they used ELIXIR strings. http://www.elixirstrings.com/index.html These strings are dipped in gortex and DONT RUST.

Good luck all... and keep picking...

hey, welcome to the board.

a little strange reviving such an old thread i guess but i guess it doesnt matter too much since this topic comes up so often anyway.

just a couple of things.
-boards only need to be oiled a couple of times a year.
-elixers seem to work better on acoustics.
alot of electric players, including myself, dont like the tone change, or the price.

Logz
04-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Its like... this thread wont die! :p:

Like JJ said, try not to bring up such an old (from last year) topic :p:

markus625
02-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Try the String protector from rustyfingers RustyFingers.co.uk (http://www.rustyfingers.co.uk)
If you havent as yet solved your problem with your rusty strings then try the string protector from above, dont use WD 40 as this could damage your fretboard by swelling the wood and ive tried wire wool it just caused a mess.

The string protector comes with a microfibre wipe,for you to wipe your strings before applying the protector.
This has protected my strings and my fret wire from corrosion, and has prolonged the life of my strings.

Tne string protector is quick and easy to use and also looks great on my guitar.

In simple terms the String protector prevents the air and moisture from attacking the metal and also applys a invisible thin rust preventing film to protect your strings and fret wire.

http://www.rustyfingers.co.uk/images/my-prs-1.jpg

It also come in different styles and for just 12.95 a bargain.

BEATS wire wool and BEATS boiling your strings.
NO MORE WD-40 and no more oily strings.

John W
02-25-2007, 12:09 PM
If your sweet tooth starts to nag you while you are playing, just lick

;)

Hendrix

padfootpak
08-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Really good and informative thread!

Nimrod Prospere
08-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Get a new set of string and remember to always wipe them down after practice or playing; this will help prevent depreciation.

brandon2784
08-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't see how eb's rust fast I've had the same set on my 1527 for like months and nothing, I also practice lots to.

Nelshizzle
08-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I might be late in this thread, but taking a nice paper towel under the strings, and then spraying WD-40 over the covered paper towel part onto the strings helps both prevent rust, and de-rust rusty strings.

I do this from time to time when I can't be assed to get new strings. It ends up working pretty well. Just make sure to get the wd-40 on the strings and not the fret board.

DaddyTwoFoot
08-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Jesus, dude, this thread is over five years old, and you bumped it up after three!

kian89
08-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Change them ..lol

asdj
08-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Keep it, it adds to the vintage feel of the instrument.

jrakus
08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Don't forget. Playing with rusted strings especially bending with them will damage your frets!

Junior#1
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
You resurrected a dead thread just to say it's informative? WTF? Let dead threads rest in peace.

Concat
08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
That sucks bro. A new set of strings cost like hundreds of dollars now a days. Just play air guitar and make cool noises with your mouth.

Edit: Oh ffs... who bumped this ancient thread?

Wiggimus
08-04-2010, 09:53 PM
I once heard of this plastic thing, about the size of a credit card, that you can clamp over the strings, run up and down the neck and it takes all the oil and crap buildup off of the strings.

Otherwise, change the strings once they're a different color than what they are at the head. Or when they're the color of poo.

Metalfan41
08-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Strings last 1-2 months tops for me. If you want them to last, wipe them with a cloth and rubbing alcohol after you play. Takes off the dead skin and the alcohol gets the oils to keep your strings in good shape longer.

Faded Grey
08-05-2010, 12:00 AM
About 1-2 months is typical. So, it's no weird occurrence that your strings are rusting. If they don't feel good, change them. They're old. I second the things about wiping your strings off after you play, it does a fair deal of life prolongation, and Also helps with tone .

ArpeggiateTHIS
08-05-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm having this problem too, only with D'addarios.

Had them on less than a month, picked up my guitar one day and the strings felt awful. Got a cloth and wiped them to find a load of rust-like stuff coming off.

It was back the next day.

And the next.

Seems like having dry, non-greasy hands accelerates the process. I've started eating crisps before playing guitar now :P

DaddyTwoFoot
08-05-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm having this problem too, only with D'addarios.

Had them on less than a month, picked up my guitar one day and the strings felt awful. Got a cloth and wiped them to find a load of rust-like stuff coming off.

It was back the next day.

And the next.

Seems like having dry, non-greasy hands accelerates the process. I've started eating crisps before playing guitar now :P
...no, clean hands slow down the process. Dirty strings do not play as well.

Xplorer58
12-25-2012, 07:53 PM
I just bought an ernie ball power slinky set, and they lasted one day and then had dead looking spots around the 12th fret where I usually sit there and play around. ONE DAY. I wiped them down too, yet the next morning, they felt rough in patches along the string and lost all their shine.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
12-25-2012, 07:57 PM
... This thread is from 2005 and isn't a technique issue.

*reported*