Faster neck

PDA

View Full Version : Faster neck

norvan
07-17-2005, 12:06 AM
So I was at Sam Ash today, and after playing an RG, my squier feels like it has glue on it. So I was wondering, what could I do to make my neck faster. I'm guessing I just have to sand it, but I want to check with you guys before I **** up my only guitar.

oddling8
07-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Lemon oil supposedly works. It's a Squier, and it's a fake Stratocaster, go ahead and sand it, I seriously doubt it will cause much damage... It will give her/him personality.

danilo19
07-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by oddling8
Lemon oil supposedly works. It's a Squier, and it's a fake Stratocaster, go ahead and sand it, I seriously doubt it will cause much damage... It will give her/him personality.

your an idiot opil isnt gonna make a neck faster it just cleans it and keeps it in good condition also its doesnt have to be a Strat they do make other guitars......... I dont think sandin it will make it faster just thinner its a preference thing.

La_Deux_Machina
07-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Yeah...what harm could come from a sanding a squier...do it some good...lol? Yeah just sand it.....

oddling8
07-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by danilo19
your an idiot opil isnt gonna make a neck faster it just cleans it and keeps it in good condition also its doesnt have to be a Strat they do make other guitars......... I dont think sandin it will make it faster just thinner its a preference thing. Are you kidding? Atleast capitalize if you're going to insult me. I've put oil on my neck, it makes it literally too fast. I have to wipe it down so that my hand doesn't slip all over the neck. Sanding it will smooth it out. It's a Squier, it really doesn't matter, he isn't going to hurt it by sanding it or by putting oil on it every time he plays.

Gutch220
07-17-2005, 12:18 AM
use fine sandpaper, and make sure your hands are clean and dry when you play

Ganjrockr
07-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Yeah, the oiling and cleaning once and a while works for me. My neck is pretty thin as it is so I haven't needed to sand it down more.

norvan
07-17-2005, 12:28 AM
so i'm going to sand it thinner with really rough sandpaper untill it becomes thinner then go to a finer gauge.

biohazardous59
07-17-2005, 12:43 AM
my god kid

your using it like lube...

the sanding will help, but pay careful attention when your sealing and finishing it. buff it down really well when the sealant and everything has dried and CURED

norvan
07-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Yea, i'm going to make this a full daylong project next saturday, because sunday, i'm going to be at Gigantour.

Mascot
07-17-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by danilo19
your an idiot opil isnt gonna make a neck faster it just cleans it and keeps it in good condition also its doesnt have to be a Strat they do make other guitars......... I dont think sandin it will make it faster just thinner its a preference thing.

Excuse me?

That was so stupid. I mean, not just one thing, but the whole post.

seljer
07-17-2005, 03:55 AM
I've seen using really really fine sanpaper (like 1800 grit) to make a neck faster

theyab
07-17-2005, 04:16 PM
yeap, sand, and oil. tung oil is good, i think lemon oil is mainly for fretboards.

al_
07-18-2005, 12:51 PM
^^ Tung oil is an actual finish. Im pretty sure lemon oil just cleans and stops wood from drying out too much.

/\/\()()
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
lemon oil? is it the same as lemon juice?

Gutch220
07-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by /\/\()()
lemon oil? is it the same as lemon juice?

I hope not or i need to call a doctor

they're very different things

twelvestringtex
07-18-2005, 09:14 PM
when i finish the one im building im gonna take after the neck with some sandpaper.. if ya ask me it makes all the difference in the world

ive got a takamine g-series that i love, but the neck bugs me because the finish is so thick it restrains my movement

i have an ovation which has a satin finish and it feels wonderful

i also have a samick, its neck appears to be finshed with lemon oil or some such and it is lightning fast... ive found nothing like it, i love this thing so much that im going to put about $300 worth of customizing into it!

i say sand lightly to take out the glossyness of the finish and see how it feels, if that isnt satisfying then take the finish off and go back with some oil... wood is alot slicker than any lacquer out there

norvan
07-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by twelvestringtex
when i finish the one im building im gonna take after the neck with some sandpaper.. if ya ask me it makes all the difference in the world

ive got a takamine g-series that i love, but the neck bugs me because the finish is so thick it restrains my movement

i have an ovation which has a satin finish and it feels wonderful

i also have a samick, its neck appears to be finshed with lemon oil or some such and it is lightning fast... ive found nothing like it, i love this thing so much that im going to put about $300 worth of customizing into it!

i say sand lightly to take out the glossyness of the finish and see how it feels, if that isnt satisfying then take the finish off and go back with some oil... wood is alot slicker than any lacquer out there

whoa. just what i needed. Thanks. Have a wookie.

twelvestringtex
07-18-2005, 09:59 PM
no probm, its what i do

Spydr
07-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by seljer
I've seen using really really fine sanpaper (like 1800 grit) to make a neck faster

Just use paper :D

onimacaroni
07-19-2005, 11:04 AM
If you have baby oil in your house use it. Just wipe it off afterwards.:cheers:

IamJonsCranium
07-19-2005, 12:03 PM
if all you want is a different finish, just use a fine sandpaper and buff the finish. you dont need to take the finish off, just turn it from gloss to 'semigloss'.

theyab
07-19-2005, 12:28 PM
I think gun oil is good too..

chrisb0109
07-19-2005, 01:34 PM
we are getting way to many people rplying that have no idea what they are taliking about.

Oil should not be used as some sort of lube for the neck. Thats now what it is intended for. It is used either a an actual finish or simply a sort of cleaning and reguvinating fluid for the wood.

To make a neck faster, all you need to do is ruub it down with the 00 or 000 seel wool. This will take off the sheen and get rid of the stickyness of a gloss finish.

Making a neck thinner is a whole different ball game. You would need to sand all opf the way through the finish, take off some wood, then finish it again.

metallicaman80
07-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by theyab
I think gun oil is good too..

Pshh, only an Iraqi would say that.

GuitarN00b
07-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by chrisb0109
we are getting way to many people rplying that have no idea what they are taliking about.

Oil should not be used as some sort of lube for the neck. Thats now what it is intended for. It is used either a an actual finish or simply a sort of cleaning and reguvinating fluid for the wood.

To make a neck faster, all you need to do is ruub it down with the 00 or 000 seel wool. This will take off the sheen and get rid of the stickyness of a gloss finish.

Making a neck thinner is a whole different ball game. You would need to sand all opf the way through the finish, take off some wood, then finish it again.

listen to him

Slash6969
07-19-2005, 05:52 PM
u should use butter ... just cause i wanna know how it would work

atomicrock5
11-28-2009, 01:25 PM
i just want a thinner, jackson- like neck. ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS : SHOPULD I SAND IT OR NOT, if i do will i have to re-finish the neck like w/ some sort of clear coat or nitrocelulos?
baby oil what the heck!?!?!?! i understand you love your guitar but isnt that a bit much?

Copaman
11-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Holy crap. A 4 year necro bump? WOW.

Dakkstar
11-28-2009, 02:31 PM
I sanded the neck of my squier when I had one. It got rid of the sticky feeling of the coating on the neck, but my neck got staind where my thumb would rest.

R.Christie
11-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Without condoning Danilo 19's communication skills, both he and chrisb0109 are correct about the function of oils, for both cases - fingerboard oils (e.g. lemon oil) and neck (finishing oils like Danish).
Fast neck is a subjective thing, involving the feel of neck surface (oil finishes vs laquers etc), string action, strings tension, neck relief, scale length etc. Not merely the neck thickness or surface.
In fact, make the neck too thin and, aside from creating constructional/stability problems, often it becomes more tiring for the left hand, that is, a thinner neck is definitely not always faster, despite the common misconception.

drunkass
11-28-2009, 07:08 PM
I would try some 600 grit sandpaper and then rub it down good with some buffing paste. Thats what i did on a neck i refinished and it feels as good as any factory neck that i have felt.

oneblackened
11-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Holy crap. A 4 year necro bump? WOW.
seriously.

*reported* for close.

I think that needs to go back in my sig.