Guitar or Bass?

PDA

View Full Version : Guitar or Bass?

nunu
07-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Whats Easier? Guitar or Bass? Looking at some tabs, it seems Bass is pretty simple compared to guitar. Ive been playing guitar for about 2 months now, and should i learn Bass? Too many people ( my friends) play electric guitar, so maybe i should learn bass, escpecaially if we want to jam together. So what should i do?

Wizcid
07-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Play a bass and see which one makes u feel better, playing guitar or playing bass. If its an incentive, bass players are generally in very high demand also..

bluesgod313
07-17-2005, 01:47 PM
its up 2 u, i thought the same thing when i started in january of '04

just stick w/ what u feel is good, i stuck w/ electric :)

danilo19
07-17-2005, 01:48 PM
to me bass is very easy so i stuck with guitar.

Saynotopunx
07-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Personally, I think that neither of them is really harder than the other.. To be a Good bassist, it will take many years and lots of hours of playing. It's the same thing with guitar.

Which gets you pumped more? Hearing ear-splitting guitar solo's or that thick, thumping bass sound that you can't get from any other instrument?

Also something to think about is if you start out on guitar, then picking up the bass later will be much easier, and likewise. Playing bass makes your guitar skills better and playing guitar makes your bass skills better. The two go hand in hand. My advice to you is to start out on whichever of the two you feel most comfortable with, and just can't put down the most.. Then pick up the other a while later and you'll be pretty surprised.

nunu
07-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Do you know any bassists who sing, because i would want to do the vocals. I cant think of any? Usally its one of the guitarists?

maidensk8nSox
07-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by nunu
Do you know any bassists who sing, because i would want to do the vocals. I cant think of any? Usally its one of the guitarists? Geddy Lee of Rush :cheers:

danilo19
07-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Do you know any bassists who sing, because i would want to do the vocals. I cant think of any? Usally its one of the guitarists?

doesnt that singer from slayer play bass?

P. Townshend
07-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by maidensk8nSox
Geddy Lee of Rush :cheers:

The master of singing on the bass, Geddy MFing Lee

trey-col89
07-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Play ANYTHING other than guitar and you'll be in a band faster than you can imagine. The trouble with being a guitar player is that you have to find other people to start a band with. If you are a bassist, key boardist, or especially a drummer, bands will usually come looking for you. So my advice is take up either bass, keyboards, or drums.

Marcel Veltman
07-17-2005, 02:55 PM

Some musicians of great renown like Sting, Paul McCartny, Brian Adams; lots of people of lesser statue, definitely not including me.
There are also people like Phil Collins who can drum and sing at the same time. It clearly seems to be harder to sing while on the rhythm side of the band, but not impossible. Maybe you could get the hang of it. As long as you don't try to sing and play trumpet at the same time, you have a chance.

trey-col89
07-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Don Henly sang and played drums, although I think its safe to say that most of the Eagles drum beats weren't anything spectacular, which is probably why he was able to do it.

seljer
07-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Roger Waters also sang with the bass (Pink Floyd had the vocals really all split up though). I think Les Claypool does too.... also in the realm of metal a lot of bassists sing too (Slayer, Mastodon....)

I've been playing guitar for about 2 years but I'd really also like to learn bass. Much easier to find people to play with.

PianoBlackSP
07-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah there are plenty of bassist who also are vocalist for the band. Another thing though is you ought to learn to play keyboards. You learn that to you are bound to be in a band pretty quick since you would be a double threat. Really guitar is about the chords until you solo. And bass is about the bass line.

tfkaddict
07-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Here's a real radical new idea, why not try doing both? As a generality, the theory behind them is identical, and once you've got a grip on how to contruct chords you can do both bass and guitar chording. While I'm not Lee, I love jammin on my friend's bass every once in a while. Bass is generally considered easier to learn (with respect to the basics), but both get nice and complicated the more you progress into them.

And as for singing, go nuts. As long as you dont play a wind instrument you can sing. *but wouldnt a drummer who sang have a whole crap load of feedback?* Best of luck.

:cheers:

The Addict

LedZeppelin4LiF
07-17-2005, 09:55 PM
i think the lead singer of megadeath is the bass player but idk

gdm09
07-17-2005, 10:21 PM
my friends band bassist is also the lead singer.

XKR
07-18-2005, 12:19 PM
People think bass is easier from looking at the tabs, but it isn't. Just because the tabs look simpler doesn't mean they are easier to play. Keep in mind that bass strings are thicker, have higher action, and since the frets are huge, also require a lot more stretching. You can't just go from shredding on a guitar and expect to be a really fast bass player.