is bass easier to play than guitar?

PDA

View Full Version : is bass easier to play than guitar?

gdm09
07-17-2005, 10:17 PM
im learning to play the acoustic/electric guitar, and then it occured to me. is playing the bass easier than playing a regular guitar just because it has less strings. can someone who plays bass tell me if it is easier to play bass?

mikeyjoe
07-17-2005, 10:19 PM
i'm guessing that this is gonna be a touchy subject

danilo19
07-17-2005, 10:19 PM
your like the 4th person to do this today........ they are both equally difficult in different ways.

zakk_wylde4
07-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Playing bass is easier.

captain_bunker
07-17-2005, 10:24 PM
ahh dont do this some one close it or i will have a hissy fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nomoretablejeef
07-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by danilo19
your like the 4th person to do this today........ they are both equally difficult in different ways.
He's right

no_username
08-16-2005, 06:07 PM
ya but bass is easier, to me at least

KissMyAssets
08-16-2005, 07:54 PM
well i started out with guitar and still play but bass is easier but i think it's because of that......because i started out with guitar and it's my main instrument so i'll say start with guitar and then go to bass along with guitar

TestForEcho
08-16-2005, 08:38 PM
It depends. It's not because of the string thing. It depends on the song, the band, the players, the genre, etc. Bass is physically harder to play, but guitar has more solos and stuff like that (not that bass doesn't have solos.)

Live2Rock92
08-16-2005, 08:41 PM
I dont know... I would say the bass, but thats cuz i'm hardly coordinated enough to play 4-string instrument. So it all kinda depends on you yourself, and how easily you're able to switch between all the strings, my friend tried to teach me guitar, but i couldnt, but like i said, im not exactly coordinated.

dandynik
08-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Depends on how you play, I'd say slap funk-ass bass is harder than punk guitar. But shred is harder than most pop-bass lines.

holybassbatman!
08-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Bass is easier in some ways because you only have to worry about one string at a time, but you also have to figure out different things to play when your just given chords. But I'd say they are both equally difficult.

bassmonkey61
08-16-2005, 10:51 PM
ok...im gonna be harsh here, but this is a pointless question. the people answering are likely to be biased depending on what they play. i play both. i see no reason why one is harder than the other tho. IT'S ALL ABOUT PRACTICE!!!

DaddyTwoFoot
08-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Depends what you're playing. A Primus bassline is harder than a Green Day guitar riff, and a Satriani guitar lick is harder than a KoRn bassline.

xxXPaulXxx
08-18-2005, 06:27 AM
They are the same difficulty. Each instrument has its hard points and easy points. Like if i compare playing straight power chords on a guitar to bass lines from Jaco Pastorius, Then i can say Bass is harder. I can also say bass is easier if i compare it from one note bass lines to a guitar riff from John Petrucci. And i aslo agree with bassmonkey61 there. That is a pointless question and it is all about the practice.

colen
08-18-2005, 01:26 PM
well id have to say bass because of all the finger plucking, but if your good at bass it might be easyer for you. I play bass, guitar, and drums. and i find guitar easyer.

dsundertaker
08-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by bassmonkey61
ok...im gonna be harsh here, but this is a pointless question. the people answering are likely to be biased depending on what they play. i play both. i see no reason why one is harder than the other tho. IT'S ALL ABOUT PRACTICE!!!

thank you bassmonkey...quite a sensible answer. each is difficult, it's all about practice.

it also depends on how far you want to take your playing. slap tech on bass? hard as ****. barre chord rock on guitar? really easy.

is it easier? hell no.

Evil_Empire24-7
08-18-2005, 04:35 PM
bass is just grooves there are no lead parts in it very much

Mr_Hyde
08-18-2005, 04:39 PM
i think it depends on the style of music you play. each can both be chanllenging. if you took shred and just bass lines such out of bands like greenday then bass would be easier. but about playing chords on a guitar and whipping out some funk slapping riff on the bass. (do you see where im going?) my point is each is as challenging as the other,,,it all just depends where you go with that instrument that defines wheather something is going to be easier.

/\/\()()
08-18-2005, 05:08 PM
uhh...its to different instruments so it would be like playign guitar for the fisrt time except you have stronger fingers....you have to learn how much pressure to put all over again...

NO!!! its not easier

Rik_Sixx
08-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Chords are harder to play on guitar but playing bass well is harder in my opinion. They're both equally difficult in different ways

mysexybass
08-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by /\/\()()
uhh...its to different instruments so it would be like playign guitar for the fisrt time except you have stronger fingers....you have to learn how much pressure to put all over again...

NO!!! its not easier

ok, i totally agree with you. i've been playing bas for four years and i pretty much for the first time picked up an electric guitar and now for m its so tiny and i break strings. . its really challenging for me. playing a bass now, i think for me is easier but i started with it. also, its like one note at a time so i don't have to stretch my fingers enough to play 2 frets at once ( wich i have yet to master).

but at the same time bass you have to pay close atention to beas and not overpowering and how you hit it and...

its like comparing a trumpet to a trombone.

trey-col89
08-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Sure bass is easier if you are just going to stand there and play the root note over and over, but other than that, no its not easier.

Maet
08-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Bass, and I mean the 6 foot giant stand up double bass (i.e the 'real' bass) is harder. In general though, I'd have to say any bass instrument is harder than a treble instrument.

rockergirl1122
08-19-2005, 05:39 PM
it depends on who you are. to me, it's harder to use my fingers on my right hand to play bass, but really, REALLY easy to make songs and stuff. electric is much harder to me

ToolBass_dude
08-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Its harder to pick up the basics on guitar (chords, strumming, etc) wheras people can come up with simple basslines easily. however, more advanced Guitar skills are obtained by simply building on the basics that you know. The advanced techniques of bass are very hard to master.

hope this made sense :)

Alex :)

FleaBuc
08-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by trey-col89
Sure bass is easier if you are just going to stand there and play the root note over and over, but other than that, no its not easier.

Exactly. I play both, though I've played bass longer. I definately have to say that bass is not easier than guitar, but they are SOOOO incredibly different. It's like comparing piano to violin or a tuba to a banjo. They may look sort of the same, but believe they're different. To become a truly good bassist is hard as hell, trust me. It's also hard as hell to be a very good guitarist. Neither one is easy, but then again, I don't just play root notes, I like more melodic, complicated bass lines.

Bulletbass man
08-19-2005, 10:39 PM
neither is easier than the other if you play both with same intesity and skill

astonmartin
08-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Bass is much harder to start playing than guitar because the strings are thicker so your fingers hurt more but not for long

weezer_afi
08-23-2005, 02:30 PM
okay for all you idiots who say its easier i't can be if you just play root notes, but say if you listen to victor wooten he is far better than alot of guitarist. just listen to classic thump by him

nomoretablejeef
08-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by ToolBass_dude
Its harder to pick up the basics on guitar (chords, strumming, etc) wheras people can come up with simple basslines easily. however, more advanced Guitar skills are obtained by simply building on the basics that you know. The advanced techniques of bass are very hard to master.

hope this made sense :)

Alex :)

Not true, the harder techniques are just as hard on guitar as they are on bass.

jonkaleugher
08-24-2005, 06:26 PM
well one can say that it is easier to play bass or guitar, but to be good at it it's a totally different story. To aid in this argument i will say that drums are easier to play than anything, simply for the fact that all you have to do is move your arms and a foot, but to be good at drums you need a heck of a lot more than that. Bass has 4 strings, guitar has 6 strings, but the bass strings are thicker, thus making it harder to play for that reason. But it doesn't really matter which one is easier to play initally, it's about how well you can play. Great drummers can't play guitar well, i don't see Slash sitting behind a set anytime soon, but i can see him playing bass (although i'm not sure he can say the same) bass is more difficult because you only get to play single notes and you gotta figure out which ones you want to play (unless you're playing Gm or something like that) because when the chords get complicated you can't just play the root note, it doesn't work that way.

You can strum a guitar but you can't strum a bass, at least not without it sounding like crap.

Oh yeah and stop asking stupid questions.

Earth_Rave
08-24-2005, 10:22 PM
It's easier to be a mediocre basser than to be a mediocre guitarist

RustyGold
08-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Bass is slightly easier. Infact, they're both equall nvrm lol.

Metallica_361
08-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by TestForEcho
It depends. It's not because of the string thing. It depends on the song, the band, the players, the genre, etc. Bass is physically harder to play, but guitar has more solos and stuff like that (not that bass doesn't have solos.)

Xegh
08-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I played with bass, electric guitar and accoustic
Easiest: Bass
Middle: Electric guitar
Hardest: Accoustic

It's what I think, you might not thing the same things as me, so don't say I'm stupid and it's not true!

Matt_Van_Halen
08-28-2005, 08:25 PM
the only way 1 will be easier than the other is if u think its easier, or vise versa, u have to be in the right set of mind to play an instrument, if you find urself frustraiting easily and not having fun when ur practicing, then maybe that instrument is not for u, things that you like seem to come easier for you so it could also be which you like more

Tim-kun
08-28-2005, 09:42 PM
You shouldn't worry about what's easier. You sould worry about what you find more enjoyable. :cool:

SethMegadefan
08-28-2005, 09:52 PM
If you're playing punk, yes.
If you're playing Rush, hell no.

XeNoCiDe730
08-28-2005, 10:54 PM
bass is harder to play fast to me (without a pick) but other than that it depends on how you play...

guitaristdave
08-29-2005, 04:34 AM
IMO, playing easy bass is easier than playing guitar . . .

but if you get as good as matt freeman or flea then thats jsut amazing . . . . those guys are way better on bass than i am on guitar tbh . . . .

another thing, why the hell does everyone ask this question . . . . .

FleaBuc
09-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Lots of people ask this dumb question because they seem to think that they're comparable instruments. I play both, they are NOT comparable, except that they both have strings! I look at the bass as being half rythym instrument and half melodic instrument, it shouldn't be a lead instrument, unless you're Victor Wooten or Les Claypool, but it can be a huge part of the melody or rythym. Believe me, they are two COMPLETELY different instruments.

MultEntendre!
09-01-2005, 10:16 PM
is bass easier to play than guitar?

Heavens no.

Ryro
09-02-2005, 10:11 PM
depends if ur playing like geddy lee, but its easyer

weezer_afi
09-02-2005, 10:14 PM
no its not its probably about equal its just what u want to play. if you want to play root notes its easier but if you dont and you improvise

seljer
09-03-2005, 03:08 AM
I'd say they're about the same as far as being hard to play goes.

Though in a band type setting I'm pretty sure you can pick up bass much faster than guitar.

Greenie_777
09-03-2005, 08:30 AM
I play a lot of Ratm bass lines and i don't really have any trouble but i learned the bass lines on my guitar first before i even got my bass so it was easy i still have trouble playing a lot of songs though.

flame843
09-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Bass is easier to get away with sucking at. However, neither instrument is truly "harder" than the other. It all depends on what techniques you use and what style you play.

crazygluedmybut
09-05-2005, 10:03 PM
doesn't it depend on wat the material is? if the bass is just playin root notes, like in alot of songs, then it's easier but if it's got like a crazy bassline or sumthin, it's harder, right? i'm not so sure though, i don't play bass

SilentDeftone
09-06-2005, 12:05 AM
^ That applies to every instrument, if it has a crazy bassline who's to say the guitar part isn't equally crazy and hard? It's all relative.

-SD :dance:

cycovikkk
09-07-2005, 06:27 PM
depends, upright or electric?

weezer_afi
09-07-2005, 06:29 PM
depends, upright or electric?
no not at all. just depends on what styles and what skill level your at

FleaBuc
09-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by crazygluedmybut
doesn't it depend on wat the material is? if the bass is just playin root notes, like in alot of songs, then it's easier but if it's got like a crazy bassline or sumthin, it's harder, right? i'm not so sure though, i don't play bass

Yeah, if you're playing root notes, then A.) :puke: and B.) it's easier. If you're playing some crazy ass stuff like a Flea-esque bass solo (see "Coffee Shop") then I find bass to be more difficult.

bassmaniac101
09-10-2005, 07:13 PM
there both equally hard to play. i sugest that you stick with guitar since you already can play it.

madday
09-11-2005, 12:00 PM
say if you were to play like a bass ska part, its gona be harder because bass is basicly a main part in a ska song, i think. but if your playing some thing were bass is just harmonising or in the backround then its going to be simple. guitar can be predy easy if your just playing cords or somthing. but when you get a crazy guitar riff in there then it can be hard. so basicly im saying the same thing as half the people in this, there equaly as hard.

madday
09-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by weezer_afi
no not at all. just depends on what styles and what skill level your at

acctualy upwirght is harder because you dont just have frets, you have to have a good ear in order to play the right way.

madday
09-11-2005, 12:06 PM
sorry i meant to say you dont have frets, so it would be harder.
oops:rolleyes:

Geroul
09-11-2005, 04:23 PM
It reaally depends....overall i believe that guitar is harder...with the chords and bass playing single strings (mostly) and such....but i think a TRUE bass solo is a lot harder than a guitar solo (if played with fingers). It also depends on the type of music ur playing....

madday
09-11-2005, 05:01 PM
very true^^

Aneurysm1812
09-11-2005, 09:39 PM
It depends if you like challenging yourself.

Pysmone
09-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Depends. If you're going to be "Just Another Bassist" and play basslines that are one note, or follow the guitar, then yes it's easier. But, if you're going to try and stand out, and push the limits of bass playing, then bass can be alot harder. I haven't seen a shred-bassist yet. (Not that I've been looking).:p:

CKYIbanezParker
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
To me bass lines are easier to play. When I play guitar I play fast **** with solos and stuff though. Bass doesn't seem really hard to me but, I am a guitar player not a bass player.

In other words, don't listen to what I say.

Smalas
07-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Playing solo bass is quite hard (well... really hard)

zhilla
07-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Any instrument is as challenging as you choose to make it, based on how good you want to get. There's always more to learn, whatever instrument you are playing.

DragTheWaters11
07-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Honestly, I think that playing bass the proper way would make it more difficult. But that's just what I think, I don't really know.

srob7001
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Bass is easy if your playing Green Day or some other gay ****, but if you play some TBDM or Iron Maiden or Primus or Rush bass is pretty damn hard.

Also when you play bass with your fingers it becomes a completely diff instrument. Plus slapping and popping is a technique that takes a bit of time to master, but once you do it is SAWEET!

They are both equally hard in there own way.

willieturnip
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
If your talking about playing the same piece then hell no.

Bass strings require more force to push the strings down, among other reasons.