Strat or tele?

PDA

View Full Version : Strat or tele?

bettyswollox
07-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Since no-one really replied so far to my thread in the guitar gear and accessories forum, i thought i'd see if it would do any better here. Basically i'm looking at getting a new guitar but i cant decide between a fender tele or strat. Can you guys help me decide please?

I play mostly rock, alternative and indie btw. Examples, rhcp, futureheads, foo fighters, muse, green day, nirvana, the clash, the jam, razorlight, franz ferdinand, the darkness, weezer, the strokes, white stripes, coldplay, blur, oasis, basically music along these lines.
Cheers!!

YAY_FOR_PIE
07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Tele bitch!

twalve12
07-18-2005, 05:58 PM
i would actually go with the strat if i were you. I think its more versital than the telecaster. although if you get a tele with a humbucker in it, that would be good too.or just buy a standard tele and switch the bridge pickup and put in a hotrail. you really have a lot of options.

chums
07-18-2005, 06:01 PM
get a fat strat, it's way better.

IThinkNot
07-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Just got me one today, tele all the way.

And yes I tried to rhyme.

bean-o
07-18-2005, 07:21 PM
I think they both would suit the type of music that you play. Thats a tough choice, go play them see wich one you would rather have.

Stula1031
07-18-2005, 07:28 PM
tele! tele! tele!

AMERICAN DELUXE TELECASTER AGED CHERRY BURST
I have only owned it in my dreams....:(

ludachris0606
07-18-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm a strat and other man

iamtehwalrus768
07-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Yes...

They are both great guitars.

Slsh_Apprentice
07-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Strat I guess. Clapton uses 'em, SRV used a copy, Pete Townshend uses them, so why not? They sound pretty good too.

drevil814
07-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Strat is what you want, but I personally like tele's.

JET116
07-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Id stick with the Strat. I like the tele but it is a little thin sounding and blends in with the band; instead of that bigger lead guitar sound you might want. You've gotta go with the Strat.

iamtehwalrus768
07-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Slsh_Apprentice
Strat I guess. Clapton uses 'em, SRV used a copy, Pete Townshend uses them, so why not? They sound pretty good too. Now he does...

clapton played an es...

I still say that I cant decide :p:

bettyswollox
07-21-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm gonna leave the poll open for a while to gather up opinions of as many people as possible, it'll be a couple of months til i get it anyway, but i wanna way up all options, i tried each one out at a store but i still can't decide.

CoKane311
07-21-2005, 12:52 PM
id get a fat strat if i were you.

ionlylookscary
07-21-2005, 01:15 PM
strats cause teles are ugly

PianoBlackSP
07-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Oh bull crap. Teles are sexy.

VoodooChild15
07-21-2005, 04:35 PM
I have both, and I play the tele a lot more than the strat. I love the really trebley bridge pickup tone.

DeSean
07-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Tele mofo's!!!!!11

angusyoungwanab
07-21-2005, 06:18 PM
another one for the TELE. i believe that a tele just a versatile as the strat because unless you go for noiseless in the strat, they both hum, which is a feature i like (im a funky noise freak, a la Tom Morello) and i dont like how strat bridges are right on top of the volume knobs. i get easy access to a volume w/o it being in the way. the bridge pup on both (IMO) seem about the same brightness.

rockergirl1122
07-21-2005, 06:52 PM
i like both, but strats are definately better looking and way better for your style of music. try imagining kurt cobain playing Smells Like Teen Spirit on a tele. it would never work. also, tele's are thin-sounding. strats are much thicker sounding.

Chili Freak
07-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Don't ask us.
Go play them!

dazedandconfusd
07-21-2005, 09:21 PM
I like strats personally, but yeah, you should try them out first

/\/\()()
07-21-2005, 09:30 PM
telecastes feel better to me......ts really a preference......teles rock for me though!!!

richkidd44
07-21-2005, 09:40 PM
I like the tele, but i did other (Gibson Les Paul) and really, you don't have to tell us your whole life's story.

asilaydying666
07-21-2005, 09:51 PM
telecasters are the sh**hehe

ad_lib_oz
07-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Tele with a humbucker in the neck. :cool:

randyrhoadsfan1
07-22-2005, 01:53 AM
I would go with a strat

R_H_C_P
07-22-2005, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by ad_lib_oz
Tele with a humbucker in the neck. :cool:
That'd be a Custom (or Deluxe)
I'd say try them out, get which one you like, not us!

mynamewontfit
07-22-2005, 06:09 AM
I say tele because strats are overused to the point of being boring.

MaxLees666
07-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Strat all the way, but if you get a Tele, look at the J5 Telecaster, it is beeeeauuuuuuutiful.

mr_hankey
07-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Haha 26 - 26, this poll is really helping.

Tele.

joshsirjoshules
07-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by twalve12
i would actually go with the strat if i were you. I think its more versital than the telecaster. although if you get a tele with a humbucker in it, that would be good too.or just buy a standard tele and switch the bridge pickup and put in a hotrail. you really have a lot of options.

the hotrail wouldnt fit into the tele slot, the slots too big. anyways get a strat its just cool.

Hanzi_G
07-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by YAY_FOR_PIE
Tele bitch!

Calum_Barrow
07-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by joshsirjoshules
the hotrail wouldnt fit into the tele slot, the slots too big.

they make em for teles too

now thats a difficult one. id probably have to say the Strat though.

Jimmmaaay
07-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by mynamewontfit
I say tele because strats are overused to the point of being boring.

I agree, I have a strat though. They're both nice but I see way too many strats these days.

rockergirl1122
07-23-2005, 05:39 PM
haha nobody uses strats anymore, just kids that aren't famous. bands almost strictly use les pauls and sg's nowadays

Steph Bets
07-23-2005, 09:47 PM
my non-expert opinion is tele. i find them very comfortable to play.
even the squier teles arent half bad.

Kartman
07-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Id go for the tele. People say the Tele isnt versatile but just do what Keith (Richards) of the stones does: put a sweet humbucker in the bridge. That's versatile right there :golfclap:

Kartman
07-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by rockergirl1122
i like both, but strats are definately better looking and way better for your style of music. try imagining kurt cobain playing Smells Like Teen Spirit on a tele. it would never work. also, tele's are thin-sounding. strats are much thicker sounding. Actually, near the end of his career, (RIP) he had several Teles and sometimes played the onstage. He sais he did this to get away from his Jaguar / Mustang image. Cheers
:cheers:

Emergancy Exit
07-23-2005, 10:36 PM
tele! get one with a humbucker and a single

joshsirjoshules
07-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by rockergirl1122
i like both, but strats are definately better looking and way better for your style of music. try imagining kurt cobain playing Smells Like Teen Spirit on a tele. it would never work. also, tele's are thin-sounding. strats are much thicker sounding.

thats funny cause teles have a thicker sound and strats have a warmer sound...

im caught in between the two at the moment

nosedivekarma
07-24-2005, 12:35 AM
I can barely play three chords, I don't even OWN a guitar at the moment, but I want a tele so much right now you wouldn't believe.

rockergirl1122
07-24-2005, 11:57 PM
woteva..just get whatever sounds best to you. it doesn't matter what we think cuz we're never gonna stop arguing about it :D

Latin_Morello
07-25-2005, 10:39 AM
voted strat but i want to get a tele first...right now i have this nice Martin Dixon with p90's sick guitar....

morima2002
02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
This discussion seems to have turned into an all out argument about what's better... a strat or a tele? Well I have both and I'm going to turn to the guy who originally asked the question, which was what would best suit the style of music that he seems to like to play. And the answer is, you should get a tele. It is far more appropriate for your style of music especially if you get one with with a coil tap. Now don't get me wrong, strats are the more versatile guitar, but you should a tele my friend.
Enjoy!!!

crazywhiteboi94
02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Strat I guess. Clapton uses 'em, SRV used a copy, Pete Townshend uses them, so why not? They sound pretty good too.

this had to be the worst reason ive ever heard

alternitivebass
02-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Woah, Bringing an age old thread back from the dead. You do realise this is from 2005, don't you?

Bravo86
02-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Strat:

Clapton
SRV
Hendrix
Gilmour
Buddy Guy
Mayer
Townshend
Jimmy Vaughan

...need I continue?

aidan the perso
01-08-2010, 02:07 PM
haha nobody uses strats anymore, just kids that aren't famous. bands almost strictly use les pauls and sg's nowadays

:facepalm: You have no idea what your talking about, please dont act like you do.

On topic, you should try them out. They are both really nice guitars, I think its more of a personal opinion than anything :)

necrosis1193
01-08-2010, 02:23 PM
As an owner of one of each, as similar as they are in specs and, depending on the necks of the models, feel, you're comparing apples and oranges; Where a tele claps, a strat snaps, where a strat howls, a tele barks, where a tele bites, a strat punches, and so on. Go try both and see which you like more. Looking at your list, I'd recommend a Nashville tele so you can get something that can sort of sound like a strat, but that is going to sound like a telecaster, but you really need to pick which beast you like.

Edit; Holy crap, two necrobumps in a row.

naedauuf
01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Strats have a fatter tone (I'm not saying that have a fat tone, like comparing one to a Les Paul for tone fatness is crazy, but compared to a tele they do). You may think 'my amp mostly deals with that' but after I got my Tele I really realized how much the guitar makes a difference, the thing is bright as **** (which I like).

I'd say Tele, but that's only because I really don't like Strats, almost everything about them puts me off them.

azn_guitarist25
01-09-2010, 02:25 AM
:facepalm: You have no idea what your talking about, please dont act like you do.

LOL you're responding to a 5 year old post you realise?

JustRooster
01-09-2010, 05:44 AM
rhcp - Uses Strats
futureheads - Uses a Double Cut LP
foo fighters - Uses Gretsch
muse - Uses Manson Tele copy
green day - Uses Ephiphone/Gibson
nirvana - Uses Strats and Jag-Stangs
the clash - Uses Teles
the jam - Unsure
razorlight - Uses Gibson
franz ferdinand - Uses Teles
the darkness - Uses Gibson (I think)
weezer - Uses Strats
the strokes - Uses Strats (The lead guitarist does at least. The other guy uses a hollowbody Gibson).
white stripes - Uses Airline.
coldplay - Uses Tele
blur - Uses Teles
oasis - Uses Strat (I think)

I hope that helped. I'd reccomend you use a tele, honestly, despite whatever the above count it. Most of those bands have used a Tele at one point or another. I think Matt Bellamy used one before he got his Manson.

aidan the perso
01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
LOL you're responding to a 5 year old post you realise?

Bugger.

ritzanu90
01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
for the sound you like a strat in HSS would fit you... but that's just my opinion..

Dawnwalker
01-13-2010, 03:13 PM
SSS strat will do just fine.
A humbucker on an long(strat) scale guitar isnīt that powerful as you may think.
It just adds warmth and a little tone-fullness, but it really kills the strat sound.

sepultura alma
01-13-2010, 03:18 PM
how has this thread been resurrected twice now!? it's getting on for 5 years old haha

AWACS
01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
It's just me, but I think the guy made his decision by now...at least I hope he did.

gkr_3
02-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi everyone,
I have same question.I'm really mixed.Guitar players and my music teacher advice me to go to the music shop and try tele and start out.So I went music shop.I tried them out.After that I'm mixed more. :haha: .I listen Guns n Roses Nirvana Queen Pink Floyd and rarely Pearl Jam.What shoul I get.Which types of Fender guitars fit my style more.Out of my mixed mind I see telecaster a bit close to me but I cant give up strat.
Note:It will be my first guitar and the last one.So as you understand I wont be having telecaster after having a strat or to buy stratocaster later from playing telecaster.So I will not change it or re-buy another one
What are your experiences

LifeIsABullet16
02-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi everyone,Note:It will be my first guitar and the last one.

you think that now. just wait until you've got some pocket money and some GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). anyway, to get the absolute most out of your guitar as a beginner i would recommend a HSS strat. it'll give you the ability to use some high gain without annoying hum, and will still give you some great clean tones.

a7xb4d
02-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Definitely get a strat because it's a aesome guitar and in my opinion better than the telecaster

Gibson V
02-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Definitely get a strat because it's a aesome guitar and in my opinion better than the telecaster
Well thats a great reason to choose one guitar over another...

halfj06
02-06-2010, 11:51 PM
id recomend an Hss Strat, its a much more neutral guitar then the tele's sound.. so it will be easier to re create your fav artist sounds, unless they use a tele

Tempoe
02-06-2010, 11:56 PM
I got a tele recently and am pretty impressed with the definition of the chords, every note rings out so clearly. They work great for chordy stuff like jazz, but will do everything you want. I prefer the strat body but the teles look cool too.

gkr_3
02-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I played all three models(Strat,tele and Hss strat).To be honest I hated hss strat because when I played sss strat ıt was a real strat but hss was not a real I hated because I could not get a strat tone.I liked sss strat more than hss strat.But when I tried telecaster it was definately good,awful and I could not get tele's tones from strat.Strat was just like a other standard guitars.But tele was different.Unique tone.I liked it more.Also for playing chords it was great.The Best guitar for rhtym.I play solo/rhytm mixed.I think I liked tele more.But I cant give up the strat,especially its tremolo bar.Tele has no tremolo bar.

WhiteSoul8
03-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Strats and Teles are very "similar" (not the same). Same scale, both bolt on maple necks, available with ash or alder bodies. The hardware is slightly different. The tele was around first, and the strat was the "second generation" with a contoured body, another pickup, whammy bar, etc...

Tone really does come from your fingers, and how you use them. Teles are a little more sensitive to where you play - if you play closer to the bridge, it'll sound tighter and brighter. If you play closer to the neck and roll down the tone pot, you can get some very nice jazzy sounds.

It really makes a difference to what feels comfortable in your hands. I think the Strat is the most comfortable guitar I've ever played.

At one point, i've had two American Deluxe strats - one was an SSH with an Alder body, the other was an SSS with an Ash Body. They both sounded like strats - the strat tone wasn't killed whatsoever. Oddly, the SSS was brighter, louder, punchier, with more gain. I don't attribute the difference to the pickups, however, more so - THE WOOD.

Pickup many guitars until you find the one that resonates acoustically to your favor, and that'll probably be the one that is the best choice for you.

treborillusion
03-22-2010, 12:50 AM
I love my strat/telecaster hybrid, as seen being played by me on YouTube here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zppEOP5SVYs

ILoveGuitar07
03-22-2010, 03:40 AM
They are both 2 different beasts which can be used for different applications and sounds.
both.

LutRes
03-22-2010, 04:24 AM
Telecaster look nicer and are more comftable to play imo. There isn't a huge difference in sound.

One advantage with a Strat though is you usually get a tremelo bar.

madh4ttr
03-22-2010, 07:09 AM
being that I hate tele's, go with the strat. More versitile than the tele

NHECOS
03-22-2010, 07:18 AM
If you have to choose Fender, I would say a Tele without a question.
Although I voted "OTHER" and personaly I would choose a Les Paul type guitar, it is heavier (more wood), but it has a much warmer tone, wich I prefer.
But ultimately it is up to your taste man.

Peace.

'93
03-22-2010, 07:22 AM
They are both 2 different beasts which can be used for different applications and sounds.
both.

and we have a winner