can you play and electric guitar without an amp

PDA

View Full Version : can you play and electric guitar without an amp

gdm09
07-18-2005, 11:01 PM
is it possible to play an electric guitar without an amp? does it sound bad or something? does it sound good when you practice on them?

ishallrock
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
of course its possible. it doesn't sound bad but you can't change your tone. it sounds swell.

AllPlayDead666
electric guitars are not like acoustics (unless you get semi hollow body electric) electric guitars just don't have any way for sound to really get around them without using there pickups, so yea they do sound bad, but you can play them unplugged, they are just not loud, and don't sound that good.

E Daws
It just sounds quiet. It is like a quiet acoustic. I think it sounds fine, not as cool as using amp but it still sounds fine.
"electric guitars are not like acoustics (unless you get semi hollow body electric) electric guitars just don't have any way for sound to really get around them without using there pickups, so yea they do sound bad, but you can play them unplugged, they are just not loud, and don't sound that good."
What do you mean they don't sound as good? The guitar itself has the tone and the sustain and all the good stuff. The pick ups are just the way the vibrations of the strings are picked up so they can be transmited as an electric signal to your amp. The sound from the strings just goes out. All an acoustic does is has a hole that amplifies the strings sound.

sexydancingguy
u can play it without an amp but no one else will hear at as well as the person playing

bean-o
07-18-2005, 11:07 PM
NO! if you do that it will blow up!

You can, it just wont be loud, I do it all the time to practice, you just need to be in a more quiet area when yo practice with it.

atc228
07-18-2005, 11:07 PM
its very possible, its not as loud though. i usualy play without an amp, seeing as my amp sucks. ur ears get used to how quiet it is so then its not that big of a deal. it doesnt sound the same as on an amp of course because of distortion/volume/effects etc. even if u play clean the sound difference is noticable. but its not always that bad practicing without your amp. just know that things do sound different (not always bad, but not always good)

SR20DETT
07-18-2005, 11:09 PM
When you play with the amp, the sound is well, amplified (duh :D) and you can hear all your mistakes, when the distortion's off >_>

I'd say practice with the amp on :]

83lespaulstudio
07-18-2005, 11:09 PM
an electric guitar needs amplification.
you can get "pocket amps" that play through headphones, or a small amp, used for about $25- $50 (us). its' worth it.

:cheers:

captain_bunker
07-18-2005, 11:10 PM
yeah it wont sound the same pluged in

ridcullylives
07-18-2005, 11:21 PM
No...if you play without an amp the ghost of Jimi Hendrix will come out of your guitar pickups and beat you over the head with a strat. Then go and get stoned.

:rolleyes:

punkish
07-19-2005, 06:53 AM
You can't play as much either, harmonics wont be audible, tapping is really hard to get loud enough to hear as well, and your strings wont last as long, as you'll unknowingly be picking them harder to get more volume. Other than this playing unplugged is fine, and since you can hear more of the mistakes your making without the distortion, you can correct them, rather than continue to make them and hinder your developemnt as a player. I practice unplugged quite a lot, especially if just learning a new riff, since then i know if i've got it right before i amp it. I'd recomend also using an amp in your practice though, as you need to use slightly different methods when amped, and more things become possible plugged in.

Evian
07-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Strings wont last as long? Thats a crock of bull.

jj1565
07-19-2005, 07:46 AM
^like said, grab a mini amp for now...
http://www.axetopia.com/items/Danelectro/DANN10.htm

this one is really sweet.

but no, if ur in tune it doesnt sound bad, its just quiet.

HopePoisoned
07-19-2005, 08:08 AM
it's just the sound of the strings resonating (and the body takes a little into consideration, too)

it doesn't sound bad, practicing without an amp is fine for me

...or i use my dean markley mini amp - but that Honey one looks better

seljer
07-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Half of the time I'm too lazy to plug in my guitar. Yeah it sounds fine.....

As far whats harder...with or without distortion and stuff, I almost have more trouble with distortion because when you accidently make another string ring you really hear it...its hard to get things sound perfectly clear.

ludachris0606
07-19-2005, 11:27 AM
yea it's fine, especially if you want to play and not piss your parents off by playing loud...

awesom-o4000
07-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by seljer
Half of the time I'm too lazy to plug in my guitar. Yeah it sounds fine.....

As far whats harder...with or without distortion and stuff, I almost have more trouble with distortion because when you accidently make another string ring you really hear it...its hard to get things sound perfectly clear.

yeah my amps plugged in my room, i used play out in the living room unplugged with my strat for lookin up tabs, no one else can really hear it, sounds fine tho, now i have an acoustic and i use that, doesnt really matter tho unless your trying to play for someone else besides your self

utsapp89
07-29-2005, 08:40 PM
95% of the time I play unplugged due to ampage situations I have encountered recently...

gdm09
07-29-2005, 08:41 PM
can you bust a 10 to 15 watt amp if you play too loud while practicing?

~Rock~Guitarist
07-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by gdm09
can you bust a 10 to 15 watt amp if you play too loud while practicing?

i doubt it. maybe if you play with all the knobs at max for hours and hours at a time. but even then maybe. amps dont really "bust" much

jj1565
07-29-2005, 08:51 PM
i think if its really a really cheap amp, playing it at excessive volumes constantly will shorten its life. but its not going to be ur only amp forever, so who cares.
how loud are we talking, and what brand amp.

gdm09
07-29-2005, 08:56 PM
its an ibz10 tone blaster amp i use to practice playing my guitar. it comes with the following features:

*10 watts
*6 in. speakers
*3-band EQ
*switchable gain
*headphone jack
*12" W x 13" H x 7 1/2" D
*12 lbs.

jj1565
07-29-2005, 08:59 PM
are u putting it to 10? and if so for how long at a time.

gdm09
07-29-2005, 09:00 PM
i dont have it yet, im getting it and i want to make sure it wont break.

jj1565
07-29-2005, 09:04 PM
ohh, well its not a great amp. probably a mini roland is better if u can get one for the same price.

i would think u could get it pretty loud but still keep the amp at a safe level. most 15 W will give u enough for ur practice. a 10W can be pushing it a little. not that theres that much difference in the level anyway.

i dont think i ever push my 25W over 3.
seems pretty loud to me, and its just for the basement.

but i use a 50W with a drummer, could use the 25W but then id probably have to put it on 6 or something.

gdm09
07-29-2005, 09:09 PM
does the more watts mean the more power or louder sound or longer lasting?

jj1565
07-29-2005, 09:19 PM
well i guess my last post was all over the place, but basically more watts gives you more output. or a louder amp.

and its not that there's a certain amount of time before an amp will blow. also, its not rocket science, u'll know if ur pushing ur amp too far, because it will start to break up on u at that loud volume.

i was just suggesting the roland cube because ive found they make a quallity practice amp. there's a reason why their amps are a little more expensive. they dont break up as easily.

hopefully u can test some out for urself and judge.

joshsirjoshules
07-29-2005, 11:23 PM
i play it unplugged more than i do plugged.

tubadude
07-30-2005, 01:35 AM
im sorry but this is a question that i cannot believed was asked. i mean you never plucked a string on your guitar when it was not plugged in? are you worried that it is going to explode?

its like asking "can you drive a convertable with the top up?"

sorry, thats just a weird question

crazee201
07-30-2005, 05:57 AM
everyone at my school tells me it sounds like a god damn banjo

Evil_Empire24-7
07-30-2005, 06:07 AM
it's no big deal buy a headphones and make it like that

Headphones=Pedal=Guitar Or Bass Enjoy!!!!!

but be careful not 2 make your eardrums bleed

MightyMilly
07-30-2005, 10:57 AM
i play unplugged more than i do plugged too, my headphone lead was too short (i swear it said 3m whn i was in the shop!) so i dont use them and i dont use the amp cos of the baby that lives next door. the sound of it unplugged reminds me of a banjo!

hav u seen those little amps that are made of ciggerette packets! they are on eBay

jj1565
07-30-2005, 11:13 AM
go to a store like radio shack pick up a male end -female end wire, to extend ur headphone wire.

they call them headphone extention wires or something.^

gdm09
07-30-2005, 08:25 PM
i dont have my electric yet and no, i have never plucked an electric guitar without it being on an amp.

electrik
07-30-2005, 08:34 PM
DONT GET THAT IBANEZ AMP!!! My friend has it and he cant even use distorion cuz it sounds like utter crap and feedbacks uncontrolably.

gdm09
07-30-2005, 08:37 PM
i dont need to practice distortion on it, i just need it to make some sound so i can hear what im playing

WyldeGibsonPlyr
07-30-2005, 08:39 PM
No its not possible, if you try too, you will implode.

gdm09
07-30-2005, 08:42 PM
haha, thanks for the info.

madmax51
07-30-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by crazee201
everyone at my school tells me it sounds like a god damn banjo

Well then, just play the song from Deliverence over and over then.

I almost always play my guitar unplugged. Its better than waking your parents up at 1:30 am while trying to learn Eruption.

islandvega
01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Depends on what you play man...If you play stuff that don't require any distortion than your ok. It's personal choice really. I personally need that amp sound in my ears when I practice on electric guitar.

I have what's called a "SILENT" electric guitar and the classical version as well that's excellent for those of us that are around family or roommates that don't want to here our creations of art all night long. You can check them out on ebay. All you need is some regular earphones and your good to go. The guitar is battery powered with control volume and tone setting. They also have a 1/4 jack output too, so you can plug it in to a amp.
Also...
When I am at home working on some music that requires the use of sound effects, my effects module also allows me to plug in my ear phones too. Pretty sweet.

fenderwiz
01-07-2008, 10:11 PM
On some songs it sounds good, I can play without a amp. It just sound like a Acoustic Guitar without the echo. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd sounds good without an amp.

mitchgib23
01-07-2008, 10:15 PM
You can play it but it is very very quiet because it is not hollow. Unless you have a semi hollow electric.

TheShred201
01-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Why was this thread brought back??????? It seemed solved and is from 2005......

As others have said, yes, but quietly.

powerpiker
01-07-2008, 10:55 PM
its fun to play while your watching t.v. or something.

Lightitup
01-07-2008, 11:07 PM
jj is one patient helpful gal.

Anyway, I agree that the Roland Microcube is the best option. They sound great for a little amp, especially if only used for practice.

Dimster Ds
01-07-2008, 11:26 PM
You won't hear much, but i play without an amp when i learn songs from tabs, then when i can play the song, i put on the amp

jj1565
01-08-2008, 12:05 AM
HAHA hey thanks ^^ it only took me 2 years to get a thanks out of this thread. ;)

just kidding this is so funny seeing all the old guys in here. i think we just need dave to complete the set. :cheers:

anyway, guys i think this thread. is dead. / :(

xifr
01-08-2008, 12:30 AM
lol