modes

PDA

View Full Version : modes

bls_fan69
07-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Ok im gonna sound like an idiot but whats a mode and a progression. I have rough ideas of what they are but I just want to make sure.

SilentDeftone
07-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Modes of the Major Scale

First of all, a mode is a scale derived from a different scale. There are 7 basic modes derived from the major scale. If you don't know the major scale, learn it ASAP. The intervals are W W H W W W H.

Anyways, since there are 7 notes in the major scale, you can have 7 different root notes (or starting points) and still be in the same key. For the purpose of this lesson I'll be using the key of C, because it has no flats and no sharps, and is one of the most common keys.
Here's a diagram to help with the concept:
Key of Cmaj: C D E F G A B C D E F G A B C D E F?
C Ionian C D E F G A B C
D Dorian D E F G A B C D
E Phrygian E F G A B C D E
F Lydian F G A B C D E F
G Mixolydian G A B C D E F G
A Aeolian A B C D E F G A
B Locrian B C D E F G A B
Bold notes are root notes of each scale.

First of all, start thinking of notes as scale degrees:

Note: C D E F G A B C
Degree: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

The names of the modes, in order, are Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian, and they start on their respective scale degrees.

Starting on the first degree, you get 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1, which is Ionian. Also the major scale.

Starting on the second degree, your notes are D E F G A B C D. This is the Dorian mode. Its formula is 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 1. Here's why:

Degrees: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
D scale: D E F# G A B C# D

D Dorian: D E F G A B C D
Degrees: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 1

You should be able to see how the F# was flatted down to F natural and C# down to C natural. That is how each mode's formula is found.

The third mode is Phrygian, its formula is 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1. In the key of C, the notes would be E F G A B C D E = E Phrygian.

The fourth is Lydian. Formula is 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 1.

5th is Mixolydian, 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 1.

6th is Aeolian, or the natural minor scale. 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1.

7th is Locrian, which is a half diminished scale. 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 1.

These formulas are intervals in relation to the major scale. The major scale is used as a reference for just about everything, and modes are no exception. :)

Therefore, the 7 modes in the key of C are:
C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian

A chord progression is a sequence of chords.

-SD :dance:

Zamboni
07-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by SilentDeftone
Modes of the Major Scale

First of all, a mode is a scale derived from a different scale. There are 7 basic modes derived from the major scale. If you don't know the major scale, learn it ASAP. The intervals are W W H W W W H.

Anyways, since there are 7 notes in the major scale, you can have 7 different root notes (or starting points) and still be in the same key. For the purpose of this lesson I'll be using the key of C, because it has no flats and no sharps, and is one of the most common keys.
Here's a diagram to help with the concept:
Key of Cmaj: C D E F G A B C D E F G A B C D E F?
C Ionian C D E F G A B C
D Dorian D E F G A B C D
E Phrygian E F G A B C D E
F Lydian F G A B C D E F
G Mixolydian G A B C D E F G
A Aeolian A B C D E F G A
B Locrian B C D E F G A B
Bold notes are root notes of each scale.

First of all, start thinking of notes as scale degrees:

Note: C D E F G A B C
Degree: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

The names of the modes, in order, are Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian, and they start on their respective scale degrees.

Starting on the first degree, you get 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1, which is Ionian. Also the major scale.

Starting on the second degree, your notes are D E F G A B C D. This is the Dorian mode. Its formula is 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 1. Here's why:

Degrees: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
D scale: D E F# G A B C# D

D Dorian: D E F G A B C D
Degrees: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 1

You should be able to see how the F# was flatted down to F natural and C# down to C natural. That is how each mode's formula is found.

The third mode is Phrygian, its formula is 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1. In the key of C, the notes would be E F G A B C D E = E Phrygian.

The fourth is Lydian. Formula is 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 1.

5th is Mixolydian, 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 1.

6th is Aeolian, or the natural minor scale. 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1.

7th is Locrian, which is a half diminished scale. 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 1.

These formulas are intervals in relation to the major scale. The major scale is used as a reference for just about everything, and modes are no exception. :)

Therefore, the 7 modes in the key of C are:
C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian

A chord progression is a sequence of chords.

Don't listen to anything SD says. It's all bullshit. We just play along and let him think he knows what he's talking about...

Blurry 505
07-19-2005, 10:07 PM
^you wish

Zamboni
07-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Blurry 505
^you wish
Is sarcasm invisible on the internet?

Blurry 505
07-19-2005, 10:50 PM
no but its very hard to tell

my bad

SilentDeftone
07-20-2005, 10:20 AM
:no: watch the spam?

Threadstarter, do you have any unanswered questions? :)

Zamboni
07-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by SilentDeftone
do you have any unanswered questions? :)

Holy hell SD, if he does, he must be a fucking retard. You could teach a monkey modes with that lesson.

But I, however, do have a question: How long have you been playing? And more specifically, how long ago did you start to consciously start to study theory?

SilentDeftone
07-20-2005, 04:12 PM
2 1/2 years about, it was 2 years last Christmas. I got into theory maybe a year and a half ago, back when Beatallica was mod of this forum! PM me such questions next time, I'm inclined to deem this conversation as irrelevant to the topic of the thread which makes it spammity spam spam.