Which p-bass?

PDA

View Full Version : Which p-bass?

thebird_16
07-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Im a bass player who plays in a band, old school rock like GNR, ACDC, stuff like that. Gonna buy me a new standard fender pbass, but I wanted some opinions on what one to buy. Mexican? American? Help me out here bass freaks!

justinhawkins
07-20-2005, 11:42 PM
how much money do you have? if you can afford it, get american, but dont save up for one because its not THAT big of a difference.

thebird_16
07-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Probly around at least 600, I was mostly wondering if mexicans were any good.

justinhawkins
07-20-2005, 11:51 PM
they don't have quality control anymore so you might be getting a piece of **** or an absolute gem, but americans are great no matter what.

mangablade
07-20-2005, 11:54 PM
mexi's are great. and is that 600 US or CDN? either way i think if you get that, you will have some extra spending money with which you should get a better bridge for it or get a good amp to go with your new fender :)

another question: are you sure u want p-bass and not j-bass? most people choose j. i mean i chose a p cuz i like thicker necks and i just really like the feel, but i do admit j's are more versatile.

thebird_16
07-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Well, all the people ive talked to said a P and not a J. They all said it was better for the music i play (rock/metal). I already have a fender rumble 100 amp. The bass im looking to buy is an upgraded fender mexican p-bass, with the standard p-bass pickups, custom Jazz Bass Fender bridge cover, sunburst.

thefaceeater
07-21-2005, 01:28 AM
man for rock/metal i would def. go with a jazz bass for that style and alot of players in this genre play jazz bass because the sound is so much bigger.
but ive seen mexican jazz basses that are awesome but then you may get a lemon and it could suck. so i would get on ebay and see if you can find a cheap american bass of whichever model you choose.

MetalUpTheAss
07-21-2005, 01:57 AM
Fender Aerodyne all the way!

First off, it looks METAL/rock

Second off, it's MIJ which is SEX

Third off, it's PJ for mega versatility.

Guesswork
07-21-2005, 06:24 AM
Yea the guys got a point the Aerodyne model is fit. Try that out

Secondhandloser
07-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Also, for $600, look into the Highway One series, american made Fender's at a lower price. Also check out G&L, They aren't Fender's, but it was Leo Fenders final company ( after Musicman) and to me, they are now what Fender used to be...