New humbuckers?!

PDA

View Full Version : New humbuckers?!

Wiser
12-16-2002, 03:50 AM
i have an Ibanez GRX20LH (yes im a mutant lefty) anywho, i also am in dire need of some new humbuckers, the stock ones wont do anymore. my axe has two powersound humbuckers (POS's they are). if i were to invest in some EMG's, or even a Seymour Duncan Invader for the bridge what would i have to do to make it work, if anyhting at all?? any and all help is appreciated. thanks

garett
12-16-2002, 11:31 AM
You don't want to change your pickups.

The reason you don't want to change your pickups is because you don't seem to have the slightest clue why you want to change them or how to change them!

Your pickups are "it" as far as tone. Other aspects of your guitar affect the tone but no where near as much as your pickups. Your pickups are the biggest tonal factor.

So if you're going to change your pickups you better understand exactly why your current ones are not satisfactory and exactly what kind of pickups your going to get to fix it.

You have to understand how pickups work. How to install and wire them. You have to know what different kinds of pickups create different kinds of tones.

If you ignorantly go out and buy new pickups without understanding what you're doing then you're going to find that you've either a) done something that you don't like to the tone and thus wasted your money or b) you don't notice a huge difference and thus wasted your money.

So basically, if you need to ask what kind of pickups you should get then you don't want to change your pickups.

I'll leave you with a link on how magnetic pickups work to start you off:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/pickups.html

Now I suggest you do a LOT more research and learn everything you can possibly learn about pickups before deciding to go waste your money on new ones.

:rasta:

Wiser
12-16-2002, 12:40 PM
The guitar i have is not exactly a quality guitar. its on the bottom end of the ibanez line. the powersounds in it are very muddy and dont really put out any desirable tone. i would like to see if it is possible to change the humbuckers without considering buying a new guitar. i dont have the money right now.

power freak
12-16-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by garett
You don't want to change your pickups.

You have to understand how pickups work. How to install and wire them.

You dont NEED to know how they work. You could get em installed in a music shop.:cheers:

garett
12-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by power freak
You dont NEED to know how they work. You could get em installed in a music shop.:cheers: I disagree. Without understanding how they work you can not make an educated decision regarding your pickups. You have to understand pickups to understand how different pickups are going to affect your tone, why and how.

If you don't understand everything there is to understand about pickups just don't replace them because you're not going to be able to get the desired results. Assuming you even know what results you're looking for. If you don't then you're just going to be wasting time and money for nothing.

Wiser
12-16-2002, 02:47 PM
Garret, did you see my last post explaining my situation? and if it comes to it i could get it done at the shop, its no biggie to me.

garett
12-16-2002, 09:51 PM
Yes I did Wiser.... and I'm not saying you shouldn't have a guy in the shop install it for you.

That's not my point.

My point is that without understanding how pickups work you're not going to understand why you're changing your pickups or what kind of pickups you need.

It's like changing an engine in your car. Your car doesn't quite go fast enough so you want to change the engine to make it go faster. Seems kind of dumb if you don't know the first thing about car engines doesn't it?

So your current pickups sound muddy. Do you know WHY they sound muddy? Do you know what kind of pickup you will need so that it won't sound muddy? What about other tonal qualities? Maybe you'll get rid of that mud sound but it'll sound way to bright and trebly. Do you know what gives a hot tone vs. a bright tone?

Learn how pickups work and then you can make an educated decision as to what pickups you will want to buy.

power freak
12-17-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Wiser
if i were to invest in some EMG's, or even a Seymour Duncan Invader for the bridge
Those pickups are VERY different. For most EMGs you would need a rout which I dont think it would be worth it. (But i think EMGs are the best:peace: ) Also the EMGs would have a far higher output than the duncans.