Types or Strengths of Picks

PDA

View Full Version : Types or Strengths of Picks

Keebler119
07-24-2005, 09:41 PM
So I did a search on this forum for this question but didn't find an answer. I've only been playing for a bit but I feel like my pick is too flexible... Maybe its just me... but anyways I thought I heard there were different strength picks... should I try a harder pick? Do they change the sound at all? Am I playing or holding wrong? Is the flexibility thing just in my head?

xchris78
07-24-2005, 09:45 PM
try the purple dunlop tortex picks that what I use. Their nice and heavy. If your pick is to flexable it's probally just the pick.

ice-bcrich
07-24-2005, 09:52 PM
not dunlop, go with everly star grip picks, ull never drop one, i use .73, its yellow but its perfect for me not too hard but has a lil flexability

SethMegadefan
07-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Picks come in gauges. Anything about .90 or above is "thick" (I suppose), and anything below sounds like it's just too floppy for your tastes.
Wow, xchris78, you took the words right out of my mouth. Dunlop Tortex picks are just about perfect. Those or Dunlop Gator Grips, the blue ones. They're just the right gauge for me. I personally am not very fond of floppy picks myself.

guitarkid27
07-24-2005, 09:57 PM
it does make a difference in sound if you use a heavier pick you get a louder kinda twangier sound(dont really know how to explain it) some people like softer picks for a softer sound and they think they're easier to play chords with. I like heavier ones to play single notes and solos. By the way i play with a metal dunlop they're much heavier than plastic and they don't bend, but they cost a dollar.

Keebler119
07-24-2005, 10:03 PM
thanks for the help guys... i did notice that the 'floppy' feeling only really bothers me on scales/single notes/solos... seems like it might be a common feeling for some. I'll pick up a harder gauge pick see if that makes a difference.

tfkaddict
07-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Well, as you've noticed, a heavier pick is usually easier to control when you're playing solo's, etc. As a generality, beginners start with flexible picks, work up to heavy picks, and then find their happy medium once they play everything. Find the ones you like, and away you go. I would suggest dropping several bucks and getting as many different picks as you can, as it will make finding your "perfect" pick alot quicker, and spares always come in useful/

:cheers:

The Addict