Fernandes Bass 5 String

PDA

View Full Version : Fernandes Bass 5 String

Replicant
07-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Do any of you think this is good? And would I be able to get it set up for E A D G B?

http://www.music123.com/Fernandes-Tremor-5x-i148634.music

canadianpunk071
07-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Yes, for the money, it is an excellent bass, good tone and feel, and solid construction.

As for setting it up to EADGB, you would need to have a luthier install a custom nut made to accomadate the thinner string gauges. So yes, you could do it, but it won't be cheap. If you want the high C string (not B, as you thought), you're better off getting a 6-string bass.

Replicant
07-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Nah not for me. I'll enquire about getting it customed. Would I be able to get it set up for standard and be able to tune down still?

canadianpunk071
07-26-2005, 07:25 PM
I honestly have no clue what you're trying to get at with all this down-tune stuff you keep posting. If you have a standard 5-string (BEADG), and wanted to tune it to EADGC, you'd have to tune UP. If you tuned up that much, even if the strings didn't snap, which is a 99% chance, even if the neck didn't snap, which, if the strings held, is quite likely, the strings would be so tight that the bass would be unplayable.

Please explain what exactly you want to do with the bass.

vinniegbass
07-26-2005, 08:00 PM
woah!!!!!!! stop the thinking!!!!!!!
easy job. easy fix.

get a set of 6 string bass strings only use the low e and higher. no need for the b but hang on to ityou may want it later.

you can get by with usung the same nut that is there. it wont hold the strings completely snug but it WILL NOT be noticable.

then you can tune the high string to either b or c it's only a half step so the same string will work perfect for either note.

i play my bass this way EADGC it works great, no problems

it's not a significant pressure change so no need for truss rod adjustment either.

do it! there are no worries.
enjoy!

Replicant
07-27-2005, 05:42 AM
Awesome. Well the reason I want it E A D G B is cos I think 5 strings are way better than 4. In looks and it's gonna sound so much more ****ing HEAVY! I play songs in a band with E A D G B but I also downtune the bass to D A D G B which sounds good but then a half step down. That's why I want it like this. But I'd prefer to get a custom nut to help it be snug!

Replicant
07-27-2005, 05:44 AM
Sorry I just woke up. The bassist in my band plays 4 string. E A D G - D A D G and a half step down. I want a bass cos I am interested in it.