Whats a good acoustic

PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good acoustic

aggo0
07-26-2005, 05:18 PM
My friend wants to learn how to play guitar but doesnt know what acoustic guitar to buy. Shes willing to pay 300-400 max which i think is enough to get a pretty good guitar. I want to help her out but i dont know anything about acoustic guitars. Does anybody recomend any particular brand? She doesnt mind an acoustic/electric, she just doesnt want an electric.

WeirdMariachi
07-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Shes' willing to pay $300 - 400 for a guitar and she doesnt even know how to play ? She should really do what I did first buy a cheap $80 acoustic from Wal-Mart and she should learn with that. When she gets a bit better then she can buy herself a better guitar. I dont think for beginners it really matters what kind of name brand she gets. The whole point is to learn how to play. What if she starts then gives up on the whole thing. There went $300 to waste. So I would really recommend her to buy her self a WalMart acoustic.

Pi_Guitar
07-26-2005, 05:30 PM
An acoustic-electric is a nice way to go, it allows you to kind of start of on acoustic, but then allows you to expand to some more electric possiblities later. There are tons of good brands that produce quality acoustics, and for that price you could probably get a good one. One place you might start is figuring out what exactly you want from it. Like woods, cutaways, # of strings, etc. There's a nice section of reviews here too that I've used to reseach most of the things I wanted to buy before I bought them. Sorry I can't be very specific, I've been shopping for electrics recently so I haven't researched that many acoustics, but good luck!

EDIT: I'd probably agree with above though, if you are just starting to play, if you aren't entirely sure that you will continue for a long time it might be better to lower your price range so you don't waste money on a guitar that you don't want later becuase you want a different sound or because you simply don't want to play guitar. <Why would anyone not want to play though? :confused:

rockguitar417
07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
yeah do what pi guitar said, but i would suggest checking out an alvarez rd8c, its acoustic/electric and it was my first acoustic, has a good sound for the price range, tell your friend to look at it

jafar3p
07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
I'd go for a Simon & Patrick guitar, they're the best in my opinion.

andrewhamilton
07-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Yamaha makes awesome beginner guitars. If she's gonna get a cheap guitar then just make sure it was made in Canada or US

jimtaka
07-26-2005, 10:49 PM
i dropped over 400 on my first acoustic and haven't ever regretted it once. i don't think it's a bad idea at all to spend a little cash on the first guitar. after all, you can only have one first guitar. furthermore, i think that having a nice guitar that sounds good and that you are proud of really helps you get into playing. that's just me though.

as for brands.... for between 300-400 i would look at takamine and fender. with that price range i wouldn't reccomend getting an acoustic electric because she isn't going to end up with a very good one chances are. i would tell her to just go ahead and buy the nicest looking and sounding (to her own tastes) acoustic she can find in that price range and then she can always go back later and have a pickup installed. hope this helps!

Also, she definitely wants to get something with a solid top.

oxford confetti
07-27-2005, 04:12 AM
i just got a cort sfx 6b electro acoustic for 300 (yer in england) its relli nice

oxford confetti
07-27-2005, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by jimtaka
with that price range i wouldn't reccomend getting an acoustic electric because she isn't going to end up with a very good one chances are. i would tell her to just go ahead and buy the nicest looking and sounding (to her own tastes) acoustic she can find in that price range and then she can always go back later and have a pickup installed. . thats true but it depends if she is going to want to do any gigs or anything with it you can get sone realy nice electro acoustics, e.g some tanglewoods for the price your looking at

BadMoFo
07-27-2005, 07:46 AM
I like Ibanez and Takamine acoustics. They both make some good quality guitars and have some that are economicaly priced. Check out a Takimine Jasmine, an awsome guitar for biginners.

oxford confetti
07-27-2005, 03:55 PM
some ibanez are good but the thin ones arnt worth it really there is hardly any tone to there sound

snoozer
07-27-2005, 07:49 PM
art & lutherie...

Cryptic_Dreamer
07-27-2005, 10:38 PM
I agree that she should first buy a cheapie like walmart brand, but if she really wants a good guitar to begin with (Hey if she doesn't keep with it she can always sell it) I definately recomend a Fender!! They're awesome! Great action so it wont kill her fingers so much. More Power to Fenders!:D

Hawaii69
07-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Just about anything over $200 will be a good acoustic.

jimtaka
07-29-2005, 01:41 AM
i second the suggestion for the takamine jasmine... GREAT guitar for beginners and very well-priced. i have only played one and it was only one time but it seems like i remember thinking that the fret-board wasn't as wide.... should make it easier to play for someone with smaller hands. i think you can also get jasmines in several different finishes so she should be able to find one she likes!