Was jimi hendrix really the best?

PDA

View Full Version : Was jimi hendrix really the best?

Pages : [1] 2

Underhander
07-30-2005, 11:54 PM
hendrix was a very good guitar player in many different ways, but is he really the "best"? not in my opinion.

and i know ppl are gonna say stuff like "oh, he revolutionized the way ppl play guitar blah blah" i already kno this, and that is true. but does that really make him the "best"? again..not in my opinion.

your thoughts?

trey-col89
07-30-2005, 11:55 PM
No he wasn't. Its "common knowledge" today that Jimi was the best, but I don't think he was the best.

Buscubba
07-30-2005, 11:57 PM
he was damn good. but its a total matter of opinion. though they may try, no one is going to force you to believe that he was the best guitar player ever, there are too many "best" guitar players ever.

moccasin11
07-30-2005, 11:58 PM
he was the greatest performer but i dont know aboutm guitarist

kurtdyoung
07-30-2005, 11:59 PM
i think that jimi was at his time the best, but not anymore im sad to say

MeGaDeth2314
07-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Its all opinion

Voodoo8868
07-31-2005, 12:06 AM
yeah, people are gonna just argue this, he was good, but i wouldnt say best, like come on, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Eddie Van Halen..are all way better in my opinion so..

Baba O'Riley
07-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Yes. But this thread is WAY overdone and quite frankly I don't want to argue with people who unfortunately cannot see his talent.

gibsonfan2
07-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Arguements could be made and fought over til yer blue in the face whether he was the best. I look at it like this, To me he was the best. he was a pioneer. but if someone else says hes not, thats okay. Jimi is my pick

keefo
07-31-2005, 12:34 AM
yes i believe he was the greatest, there is somthing about listening to jimi that does somthing no other musician can do, he was amazing, music just flowed out of him

Y2A 66
07-31-2005, 12:51 AM
The majority of the posts here don't even seem to project that any of you actually know his music well. You just read some reviews and what other people say on this site and then type some random nonsense as if you know whats going on
Do yourself a favor and listen to "Are you experienced?"
then come back and tell me why he is in a completely different realm than anyone else. Remember that the music you're hearing is 1967 and then listen to what everyone else was doing at that time. He is the greatest, and he will always be.

FenderStrat206
07-31-2005, 12:54 AM
In my opinion there is no "best" guitar player. I think there are many great guitarists out there just like Hendrix, Page, EVH, Clapton, all of those guys. They are just all equal or damn near it. No one in my opinion can anyone is the "best".

poxydoo
07-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Y2A 66
The majority of the posts here don't even seem to project that any of you actually know his music well. You just read some reviews and what other people say on this site and then type some random nonsense as if you know whats going on
then come back and tell me why he is in a completely different realm than anyone else. Remember that the music you're hearing is 1967 and then listen to what everyone else was doing at that time. He is the greatest, and he will always be.

That reminds me of something my friend said. When I said Hendrix wasn't my favorite he was convinced I hadn't listened hard enough and I must listen again with all my heart, then I would realize he is the best.
I still like Mark Knopfler, John McLaughlin, Yngwie Malmsteen, and David Gilmour more.
Just my opinion, though.

Misc Debris
07-31-2005, 01:09 AM
Who cares?He wrote some awesome music,don't you think?

SethMegadefan
07-31-2005, 01:25 AM
As long as you're wanting opinions I'd say no. But that's just me, and I realize he was a phenomenal guitarist but I just don't think he was THE best. It's opinion, though, and if someone thinks he's the best it doesn't really bother me. That's their opinion.

x_thurston_x
07-31-2005, 02:49 AM
yeah dude its all opinion really....

bong-water
07-31-2005, 02:58 AM
He helped put guitar soloing on the map, but he's really not that incredible of a player.

Cream_n_Blues
07-31-2005, 03:32 AM
Do you who is the best guitarist?

There's no such thing called the best guitar player, it depends on which aspects of the good guitar players that would make them the best guitarist, but serious there's no best

JethroTullfan72
07-31-2005, 09:53 AM
i think hes a great guitar player, but i think hes a little overated

syyz1
07-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Misc Debris
Who cares?He wrote some awesome music,don't you think?

:cheers:

telex289
07-31-2005, 10:36 AM
he was more revolutionary than the best i'd say. i mean, how many guitarists in his time played backwards?

DireStraits
07-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Skill-wise, he is not the best. Don't get me wrong, he was an excellent guitarist and I respect him greatly.

But "best" in any other way comes truly from opinion. What truly decides a great guitarist? How good their music is. Someone who is a big Hendrix fan will say he is the best because they like his music. Someone who doesn't is unlikely to aknowledge him as the best because he doesn't write music they favor.

ledblimp
07-31-2005, 11:11 AM
as far as raw talent went, jimi was the best and if he had had time to develop he would have been the greatest ever but in my opinion, jimmy page is the greatest

ridcullylives
07-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Listen to the 15-minute long Voodoo Chile on Electric Ladyland...that sealed the deal for me.

But hey...everyone's entitled to their opinion.

anthonyzoso89
07-31-2005, 12:20 PM
The thing that made jimi more than anything was how he played with so much soul. No other guitar player ever has ever played with so much soul and emotion like jimi. Technically you could say Steve Vai or Joe Satriani are the best, but they dont play with as much soul as jimi.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
07-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Jimi Hendrix is by far my favourite guitarist. This is generally because I like his style, on stage perfromance and his music. However, there are other guitarists that are technically as good as him such as Santana, David Gilmour and Rory Gallagher.

It annoys when people say Jimi Hendrix was "the best" because he was revolutionary or that there would be no Joe Satriani etc.. if it were not for Hendrix. What about Chuck Berry or BB King? If it were not for them there would be no Jimi Hendrix. They basically invinted the way in which the electric guitar was played.

coffeeguy9
07-31-2005, 07:07 PM
To put it short:

No.

--

But still, he was very musical and amazing for what he was given. He had to communicate about musical things to his band using colors and feelings, instead of "Hey, play this in f phrygrian!"

TheHeartbreaker
07-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Hendrix was great, easily Top 10, probably Top 5 on the my personal list of greatest guitarist.

Listening to him with Band of Gypsys live at the Fillmore East, and watching him on my DVD and a friend's video keeps me amazed with his guitar work.

Yet, there are people such as Page, SRV, and Alvin Lee of Ten Years After that are up there with the talent of Hendrix.

He died so young; we saw only the beginning of his work.

acdc101
07-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Listen to music rock & roll before Hendrix and compare it to rock & roll after Hendrix. For the most part, the sound completely changed. He started a musical revolution, the only other guitarist (In my opinion) that can rival Hendrix in innovativeness is Eddie Van Halen, who (more or less) single-handedly founded the genre of shred.

But as for being the best guitarist, it all comes down to opinion.

KingBrendan5149
07-31-2005, 07:51 PM

i agree with you 100 percent. Hendrix had so many different styles to his playing that many other guitar players don't. If you listen to Voodoo Chile, it's the creepiest blues i have ever heard. He can play delicately and gentle like on little whing, angel, and the wind cries mary. He died when he was 27 and we can only guess what else he could have done.

He had to sing and play guitar at the same time (something I personally find really hard and I have immense respect for people who can do the two at the same time). Does Jimmy Page sing and play unbelievable guitar solos? Does EVH? If Hendrix was only a guitar player, he could have been technically better if that's only he had to worry about. Also, what other guitar player can play with there teeth?

ź├Fire¤nside╗
07-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by acdc101
Listen to music rock & roll before Hendrix and compare it to rock & roll after Hendrix. For the most part, the sound completely changed. He started a musical revolution, the only other guitarist (In my opinion) that can rival Hendrix in innovativeness is Eddie Van Halen, who (more or less) single-handedly founded the genre of shred.

But as for being the best guitarist, it all comes down to opinion.

I know EVH basically created shred, but I want to see Ritchie Blackmore get some credit for helping invent that genre as well. Listen to some of his solos in the early 70's when Deep Purple were in their prime (Child In Time, Smoke on the Water, Highway Star, etc.) and compare to other guitarists solos, he was probably the shredder of the day. My opinion of course, but I feel he should get some credit, great guitarist.

SethMegadefan
07-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Opinions, man, opinions. Besides, I have listened to "Are You Experienced", and to be honest, I still don't think he's the best. I respect your opinion and it's one thing to think he's the best but to get mad at someone for not thinking he's the best? Isn't that a bit extreme? I mean, we all have our own opinions, just like you. I didn't think he was the best. Yet I'm not going to tell you to listen to somebody else whom I believe to be better and tell you that they're the best! Get my point?

mike26
07-31-2005, 10:15 PM
I feel in terms of actual playing ability, there are many players who are better than Hendrix. But he was like nothing that was being heard at the time he was playing. He helped start a whole new genre of rock music. Perosnally, I'm not much of a fan of his style, but certain songs (Hey Joe, Little Wing) are just are awesome.

CornLord
07-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by KingBrendan5149
He had to sing and play guitar at the same time (something I personally find really hard and I have immense respect for people who can do the two at the same time). Does Jimmy Page sing and play unbelievable guitar solos? Does EVH?
Well, if you're being technical, Eddie did sing and play guitar for Van Halen when they were called Mammoth and they didn't have David Lee Roth yet...but I see your point.

Anyways, Hendrix isn't my favorite guitar player (personally I think he was a better lyricist) but he definitely knew what he was doing and was an innovator.

SouthernRocker9
07-31-2005, 11:52 PM
i think he was a great guitarist but you know like santana was WAY up there and so is steve ray vaughn bb king steve vai and doyle dykes

ufossuck
08-01-2005, 12:15 AM
He was the best guitarist ever and people who say Jimmy Page was better are wrong

acdc101
08-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by ź├Fire¤nside╗
I know EVH basically created shred, but I want to see Ritchie Blackmore get some credit for helping invent that genre as well. Listen to some of his solos in the early 70's when Deep Purple were in their prime (Child In Time, Smoke on the Water, Highway Star, etc.) and compare to other guitarists solos, he was probably the shredder of the day. My opinion of course, but I feel he should get some credit, great guitarist.

Yeah, Blackmore did have a hand in creating shred also, his playing was unlike anything else at that time.

Riffin'AwEsOm!!
08-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Jimi hendrix was as close to being a definate "best" that there has ever been. however, i think even if he is the best, i still favor eric clapton over hendrix. it doesnt get much better than layla...

ridcullylives
08-01-2005, 01:57 AM
^^^ YES! Another Clapton fan!

I still think Jimi is better.

Stula1031
08-01-2005, 11:34 AM
At his time he wooped major ass

Cptbeefheart
08-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Jimi did things that no one else had ever done on the guitar at the time. He played blues at insane paces and use new effects. Not to mention he was unbelievably talented. That makes him the best in my opinion

KingBrendan5149
08-01-2005, 12:53 PM
just because jimmy page was in led zeppelin doesn't automatically make him the best guitar player ever. just because he wrote stairway to heaven doesn't automatically make him the best guitar player. i think page is phenomenal but not the best.

maidensk8nSox
08-01-2005, 01:20 PM
just because jimmy page was in led zeppelin doesn't automatically make him the best guitar player ever. just because he wrote stairway to heaven doesn't automatically make him the best guitar player. i think page is phenomenal but not the best.
I think Page was the best ever. Had more styles of playing and was a brilliant song writer and producer in the studio.

However I hate comparing Hendrix and Page. It's pointless. It all comes down to what you prefer. I happen to prefer Page. But Hendrix was one of the greats and I will always love him also. :cheers:

MeGaDeth2314
08-01-2005, 01:34 PM
^ Wow a big Page fan who doesnt trash other peoples opinions!!!! I never knew such people existed!!! I love you man!!!

(Not really, Im not gay)

Punk as atticus
08-01-2005, 02:23 PM
i agree with most of the opinions when i say this: i believe hendrix is probably the most creative guitarist that ever lived. he just shot melodies and solos straight through his fingers. i believe he was one with the guitar because he could just write so many things. there was no such thing as writer's block to him. i do think other guitarists can outplay him technically, like evh or even alexi laiho. don't blame the dude, he played with his teeth, while rolling around on the floor, backwards, and behind his head. difficult things to do and he had some balls to do that on stage. i'd have to say the criteria to be the greatest is to have the creativity and unity with guitar like hendrix, the technical speed and skill like vai, batio, and malmsteen, and to be innovative and create something new like EVH and tapping and jimmy page with playing a violin bow on his guitar AND play almost every style like jimmy page (ex. black mountain side. that song is like african mountain music on guitar and he could play blues and rock amazingly. i don't listen to a lot of zeppelin but he was amazing, but he couldn't ever impress me enough with his solos.) i think somebody like that will come from an extremely musical family and has been playing since 3 you know? that won't come for a while but i think it is almost impossibble to have all of those criterias ^^ in one player. too much individuality would make stubborness to do so. like hendrix never played classical but still he made amazing music.
w/e i'm waiting for that person to come and i hope i'll live to see it.

SethMegadefan
08-01-2005, 02:46 PM
You expect me to read all that?
Okay, just kidding, but are you trying to depict a "super" guitarist? I don't think it's ever going to happen. Hendrix, quite frankly (though he's not really my favorite by far), is probably the closest thing this world's ever going to see to a "super" guitarist, who can easily blend so many styles into one like he did. But alas, I hope like you do that I'm wrong and that someday we will see someone who was even more creative than Hendrix.

LedZep4EVA
08-01-2005, 03:53 PM
theres no best, but hes peoples favorite

fortheloveofgod
08-01-2005, 04:24 PM
He was defenitely not the best...he was the first but as of right now he had fallin off that pedestal aloooooong time ago...In my opinion and im being as smart about my choice as i can...I think the best guitarist as far as every damn thing u have to master on the guitar is Steve Vai...thats got to be a good arguement there...Jimmy Page was also a phenom...yea there is too many greats but when u put them in all categories it have to be Steve Vai...for me that is

apostrophe
08-01-2005, 11:00 PM
The answer to your question depends on what you mean by best. If by best you are lean toward the infulentiallity of this person then jimi is near the top, but many people have used all or some of his style and inproved on it. My favorite guitarist is stevie ray vaughn. He took hendrix's stlyle (and songs) added a double shot of blues and took away distortion. the cleaner element of stevie's songs means he cann't mess up as much as hendrix. So basically he took hendrix's style and evolved it makeing it differt and I beleive more complex to play. the more complex the material that the guitarist can play the better he is.

As far as skill on a guitar yngwie malmsteen can do things that neither jimi or stevie could dream of doing, but i don't know if he counts as classic rock.

Technically I don't think that hendrix was the best. I do agree with the earlier posts when I say that he what he he and when he did it makes him on of the most inovative guiarists, that will garentee that he is one of the best, but in my opnion not THE best.

Scourge
08-02-2005, 01:18 AM
well its a lil difficult to say, coz everyones got thier own opinions. personally i dont think hes the best. i mean hes great, i know that, but i prefer people like Randy Rhoads (ex-ozzy guitarist) and Eric Clapton. not saying that they are "the best" guitarists, but they are the best for my preference. but hey, like i said, its all opinion.

Kartman
08-02-2005, 03:03 AM
He is definately the most innovative, because he got sounds out of his guitar that are and were so unique. Not the best, though, like Voodoo said, EVH, and Malmsteen are better. Steve Vai, though, pwns.

DeSean
08-02-2005, 03:54 AM
He had to sing and play guitar at the same time (something I personally find really hard and I have immense respect for people who can do the two at the same time). Does Jimmy Page sing and play unbelievable guitar solos? Does EVH? If Hendrix was only a guitar player, he could have been technically better if that's only he had to worry about. Also, what other guitar player can play with there teeth? Ever head of Zakk Wylde?

18BaldingStar
08-02-2005, 08:36 AM
I dont see how people can rate guys like vai and satriani in anywhere near the same boat as hendrix they play completly different styles and theres no way that hendrix would have ever tried shreding, hes just too cool

Y2A 66
08-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by SethMegadefan
Opinions, man, opinions. Besides, I have listened to "Are You Experienced", and to be honest, I still don't think he's the best. I respect your opinion and it's one thing to think he's the best but to get mad at someone for not thinking he's the best? Isn't that a bit extreme? I mean, we all have our own opinions, just like you. I didn't think he was the best. Yet I'm not going to tell you to listen to somebody else whom I believe to be better and tell you that they're the best! Get my point?

I completely understand your point, and I have no problem with your opinion whatsoever. I think what I was trying to say was that people usually form their opinions without actually educating themselves about certain artists. They just determine from other people whats good and what isn't. That's what was bothering me. Having said that, he still kicks ass either way

ezcheese81
08-02-2005, 01:16 PM
As far as claiming that Hendrix was the best, there is simply now way of ever proving that. Like everyone else has said, there are too many styles of playing out there, and different people have mastered them. If you are a fan of blues, then Hendrix might be your man, but if you love shredding and two-hand tapping, then Steve Vai is # 1 in your book. This argument is pretty much a moot point......but, it's been said about Hendrix that "his playing is easy to imitate and impossible to duplicate." That is probably the only compliment Jimi would ever want to hear.

mitch155
08-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Jimi Hendrix was Great!! i believe the best, but really how can you chose a best guitarist

KingBrendan5149
08-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by DeSean
Ever head of Zakk Wylde?

the randy rhoads wannabe? yeah i've heard of him.

Assassin_Itachi
08-07-2005, 04:20 AM
He was certainly a very great guitar player but there are many who are more technical than him.

Pl3h-B0y
08-07-2005, 06:06 AM
I'd say he's alright compared to the other left handed guitarists. He started playing his first guitar upside down because the guitar was a right handed one. And I think that is tough. I tried doing that once, it was completely tough.

I imagine if he was right handed, he could have done more stuff with the guitar earlier. I was influenced to play guitar by his music.

But that doesn't mean I think he's the greatest guitarist. Actually, IMO, the greatest guitarist is David Gilmour.

Wannabehippie
08-07-2005, 06:21 AM
He was probably the best in terms of how creative he was, but not in the sound because people have different opinions. But he's fooking awesome though.

pakistanman
08-07-2005, 03:52 PM
hell no hendrix sucked...
waits for sum1 to detect that i was kidding

DF92
08-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by bong-water
He helped put guitar soloing on the map, but he's really not that incredible of a player.

Ummm ok I personally do not think hendrix is the best guitarist ever, BUT i hate it when people bash his ability. He did things w/ the guitar people had never seen, and probably never will see, again. The moment you can improv something as amazing as the vodoo chile(slight return) solo using only the e-minor pentatonic scale is the moment that you can say that "hendrix isn't that incredible of a player".

Majorminority
08-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Hendrix was well known for his guitar skills ... no1 knows if he ever was the best... but he was damn good :P!

Kurt Cobain_14
08-07-2005, 08:57 PM
he was great, it depends what you are into

schumi
08-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Does it really matter? Jimi just rocked dude, and so do a lot of other guitarists..No one is the best, they all rock(ed)

notredame_fan22
08-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Baba O'Riley
Yes. But this thread is WAY overdone and quite frankly I don't want to argue with people who unfortunately cannot see his talent.

i think he is, if not close to the top, the best. imo

wannabe jesus
08-08-2005, 11:20 AM
'Best' is a funny word, how do you measure talent? (Actually, a long time ago, a talent was a measure of gold or other precious metals before coins but that's different :)) I am listening to all along the watchtower a the moment and Jimi, in my opinion, was one of the most fantastic guitarists of rime. Maybe not the best but awsome

sheehan17
08-08-2005, 11:50 AM
he use to be the best... but has been surpassed by his peers who took what he did further...ah evolution, it's beautiful.

Cream_n_Blues
08-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by wannabe jesus
'Best' is a funny word, how do you measure talent? (Actually, a long time ago, a talent was a measure of gold or other precious metals before coins but that's different

No

:no:

actually we measure talent with a device called Talent Measurer or Talentmeter, well i made it

sabbath_rocks
08-08-2005, 02:35 PM
no, but he was good

sabbath_rocks
08-08-2005, 02:36 PM
jimmy page is the best

Pl3h-B0y
08-08-2005, 02:38 PM
that's wierd
cos in ur sig it said otherwise (tony iommi)

trey-col89
08-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by DF92
Ummm ok I personally do not think hendrix is the best guitarist ever, BUT i hate it when people bash his ability. He did things w/ the guitar people had never seen, and probably never will see, again. The moment you can improv something as amazing as the vodoo chile(slight return) solo using only the e-minor pentatonic scale is the moment that you can say that "hendrix isn't that incredible of a player".

I can do that.... its not that hard, e-minor pentatonic is probably the most commonly used scale within classic rock soloing. All you have to do is know what you are playing within the scale.

ellisguitarman
08-08-2005, 03:24 PM
alright then if u can do it then record it and post it cause if u solo better than hendrix EVER did i would like to hear that....bitch

trey-col89
08-08-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm sure I can solo better than Hendrix, all I was saying was, its not hard to solo in e-minor pentatonic. Anyone who knows how to use the pentatonic scale can improvise a solo in e-minor pentatonic.

trey-col89
08-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Not to mention I don't have anything to record with.

ellisguitarman
08-08-2005, 03:33 PM
BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****BULL****

trey-col89
08-08-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm sorry if you're new to playing guitar and you don't know pentatonics yet, but they are really easy...

Derigiberble
08-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by trey-col89
I'm sure I can solo better than Hendrix, all I was saying was, its not hard to solo in e-minor pentatonic. Anyone who knows how to use the pentatonic scale can improvise a solo in e-minor pentatonic.

I totally agree with you, im the same, minor pentatonics are easy particularly the E as it uses the open strings, however, it wasnt just the soloing, it was the trills and speed at which he carried out technical solos. People say shred is better than hendrix because its faster and more technical, give a shredder an acoustic guitar and see what happens. Give Hendrix an acoustic guitar, and he'll give you exactly the same as he gives you on an electric, class music.

ellisguitarman
08-08-2005, 04:00 PM
i kno the penatonics are easy sarcastabitch but u cant craft as amazing a solo as hendrix im sure

trey-col89
08-08-2005, 04:02 PM
When did I ever say I can... all I said was I can improvise Voodo Child in e-minor pentatonic. Its easy.

Derigiberble
08-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by ellisguitarman
i kno the penatonics are easy sarcastabitch but u cant craft as amazing a solo as hendrix im sure

I can quite easily actually, its not as hard as you think. After 6 months of practice with the minor pentatonics, anyone could do that.

ellisguitarman
08-08-2005, 04:11 PM
**** u guys u arn't worth my time to try and explain wut i ment

Derigiberble
08-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by ellisguitarman
**** u guys u arn't worth my time to try and explain wut i ment

You are talking **** mate, solos are easy to "craft" as you so put it. If you knew anything, you'd know that solos are improvised, meaning they are always different, an there lies the skill. Now you don't have to believe me if you don't want to, but im telling you i can "craft" solos as well as hendrix, because it doesnt take much.

www.onefineday.tk check this and listen to the recordings, there quite old, but see for yourself, that improvisation is easy.

ellisguitarman
08-08-2005, 04:17 PM
i kno improv is easy and im good at it too i just misunderstood wut u were sayin but imo hendrix was the master of improv

bodyheatseeker
08-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Guys, Eric Clapton once said "there is no such thing as the best guitarist, its something to aim for and try to be,if there was a best guitarist everyone else wouldn't try as hard and we wouldn't have all the great guitarists we have now, its all a matter of opinion really" says it all dont it. CLAPTON IS THERE ANYTHING HE CANT DO?:D

SGeerdes2112
08-08-2005, 05:04 PM
listen to machine gun

and i also liked what Townsend said about him

"He made the electric guitar beautiful. It had always been dangerous, it had always been able to evoke anger. If you go right back to the beginning of it, John Lee Hooker shoving a microphone into his guitar back in the 1940s, it made his guitar sound angry, impetuous, and dangerous. The guitar players who worked through the Fifties and with the early rock artists - James Burton, who worked with Ricky Nelson and the Everly Brothers, Steve Cropper with Booker T. -- these Nashville-influenced players had a steely, flick-knife sound, really kind of spiky compared to the beautiful sound of the six-string acoustic being played in the background. In those great early Elvis songs, you hear Elvis himself playing guitar on songs like "Hound Dog," and then you hear an electric guitar come in, and it's not a pleasant sound. Early blues players, too -- Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Albert King -- they did it to hurt your ears. Jimi made it beautiful and made it OK to make it beautiful."

L_Z_Nut
08-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Most of you would probably agree that at his time he was the most talented, inovative, and had an unmatched stage presence, but, like bodyheatseeker quoted from Clapton "there is no such thing as the best guitarist".

You also have to take in to consideration that when he died he was just starting out doing his own thing without interference or negative feedback on what he was creating, he was tired of playing other people's music, and being just a lead, instead of the frontman he wanted to be. And if you think of the impact he made in that short period of time, just imagine what he could have done if he was making music as long as The Rolling Stones. In my opinion he was the greatest guitarist of the 60's hands down, but not the greatest of all time, that's impossible to achieve.

distilledspirit
08-08-2005, 05:45 PM
I thought he was the greatest, but then again people might think Mick from SLipknot is, so it's all a matter of opinion.

bodyheatseeker
08-08-2005, 07:25 PM
"There's no greatest just a lot of greats"

Angus76
08-08-2005, 09:11 PM
He was far beyond anyone during his time. He is still the great and most influential in calssic rock history.

BassDude2737
08-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Hendrix's Solos could be good if he thought about them, but all of his talent was in his rhythym lines. Listen to songs such as Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand and try to play those rhythym lines that he's doing it's incredibly hard. But he couldn't improv for ****, listen to him play All Along The Watchtower Live at Isle of Wight it really sux hard. Just Though That I'd through that out there

LedZeppelin
08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
No. Not to sound like a total Zep fanboy, but Jimmy Page really is/was the best IMO.

John Petrucci is very close as well.

bassplayer33333
08-09-2005, 02:51 PM
^Dude.. No way. Jimmy Page isn't the best
I would say either Van Halen or Steve Vai (Maybe Satch?)
Jimi Hendrix was not the best. He was good for his time, though.

Derigiberble
08-09-2005, 02:55 PM
In the end, the best guitarist will always be somebody that youve never heard of, because talent doesnt equal fame. Look at McFly

rocketsauce50
08-09-2005, 11:27 PM
In my opinion David gilmour is the best, Jimi's real close

mistatimmy
08-10-2005, 04:06 AM
Just give Hendrix 11 x 3 more years. Maybe shredding would have been held back a few more years.. just imagine the kind of impact he would have caused. Damn pills.

BassDude2737
08-10-2005, 08:12 AM
they said that hendrix was still alive when they got him is the damn ambulance. It was the fricken technicians that killed him. They laid him on his back and he choked on his own vomit. Think about how much father ahead we would be musically if he would have lived. Creepy

BassDude2737
08-10-2005, 08:13 AM
see the thing with Van Halen is that what he does is really easy becuase he just taps, and tapping is the cheater way to play fast. Things like what Yngwie Malmsteen, or Eric Johnson does now that is talent

Wannabehippie
08-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by BassDude2737
they said that hendrix was still alive when they got him is the damn ambulance. It was the fricken technicians that killed him. They laid him on his back and he choked on his own vomit.

Its amazing how many people die from choking on their own vomit....

Dam technicians:peace:

vinceguitman7
08-11-2005, 11:23 PM
he was the really best......

Crzyrckgtrst28
08-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Yes revolutionizing it makes him the best... He came out at a time when the most famous rock guitarist was george harrison... He paved the road for all kinds of guitarists... He made rock what it was in the 70s and today... Hell without Hendrix... We'd still have doo wop.

bodyheatseeker
08-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Jimi was great he was better than great there is no word to discribe how good he was, but just because he was the first guitar hero it dosen't mean he was the best.
oh and I think we should make a word to discribe jimi's coolness and that word should be SCAWLICIOUS i'd like to see someone come up wiith something better(smug smile that you can't see)

Mr_Zakk_Wylde
08-12-2005, 09:22 AM
I cant get into his live stuff. He is REALLY sloppy at Woodstock

sabbath_rocks
08-12-2005, 03:27 PM
jimmie page was the best

Derigiberble
08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
^^^ firstly, it's spelt jimmy page, secondly, there is NO best guitarist, it is all opinion. The best guitarist doesn't exist, because you cannot compete every guiatarist, because every guitarist plays differently

ski_bum79
08-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Well, hendrix was really really skilled at the guitar, and he really did change things around. I wouldn't call him the best though. Still, he's up there with Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, and Jerry Garcia.

grungedude4ever
08-12-2005, 07:41 PM
I think he was really great but , today top guitarist are better

Xinlitik
08-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nah.

Lilee_Relvis
08-13-2005, 08:04 AM
I don't really think there is or was a best guitarist. Hendrix was amazing and wroe some of the catchiest and legendary music and he had unique ways of playing, but here are and were millions out there and not everyone can make it like he did.

mccabe24
08-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Hendrix was the best at making crazy sounds come out of his guitar, but I think Eric Clapton or Eddie Van Halen are better at just playing.

fallenangel20
08-18-2005, 08:25 PM
I agree, there is no "best". Everyone just has opinion. There are so many ways to judge a guitar player from speed, to melody, to style, there can't be just one "best".

Gutch220
08-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Short answer "yes" with an "if"
Long answer "no" with a "but"

i'd say no because there can be no best

ridcullylives
08-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Derigiberble
I can quite easily actually, its not as hard as you think. After 6 months of practice with the minor pentatonics, anyone could do that.

Really? I can't, bu then again, I'm probably horrible compared to you. Go on...lemme hear you make up a solo over "Axis: Bold as Love" like he did. I'd like to hear you. I'm sure you've had at least 6 months of practicing pentatonics, and I'm sure you can make up a better solo than Jimi. After all, he was "sloppy," and everyone knows Jimmy Page wasn't sloppy at all. And of course the fact that Satch calls Machine Gun "everything electric guitar can and should be" means nothing.

Go on.

I'm waiting to see your "better than Hendrix" solos in the recordings section.

That's funny...I don't see it anywhere.

Dumbass.

:peace:

L_Z_Nut
08-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Most certainly one of the best guitarist to come out of the 60's.

And most definitely the most influential guitarist that has ever lived.

How many people do you know of who can create such a huge collection of musical masterpieces, and be as popular as he was, and still is, in about a 4 or 5 year career, not to mention that he is still being talked about almost like a god to some people a good 30 to 35 years later. He has the most sought after technique and style that most guitarist strive to achieve.

No one has ever made such an impact on music like he did, and its probably gonna be a long time t'ill some one does.

Although, I'd have to say he is not the greatest because thats impossible... but he is at the top of the greats.

a7xbowie
08-18-2005, 09:05 PM
the dude who said listen to Are You Experienced? is completely correct. The other stuff in 1967 is nothing compared to what Hendrix did. Sure Jim Croce was damn cool for the time, but Hendrix with those solos..awesome awesome.

another thing, sadly, Jimi did not live up the great guitarist he could of been. That's one thing i disagree about with you. If he was still around today, god only knows the amazing things he could of accomplished. we'll never know if he would of been the greatest guitarist ever, or just one of them for his time.

luv_led_zep
08-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Jimi Hendrix in my opinion is the best... he could do things that guitar greats like clapton beck and page found impossible to do. He proves that in his live performances woodstock is one example

id say jeff beck and jimmy page equal second

Hypnot1st
08-19-2005, 10:08 AM
I think he is the best there ever was, and probably will be. I seriously don't see how some people can say he is not good, or that he is overrated. Have they even heard his live stuff? It blows my mind everytime....great timing, great music, and he turns bad notes into great ones.

eXor
08-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Underhander
hendrix was a very good guitar player in many different ways, but is he really the "best"? not in my opinion.

and i know ppl are gonna say stuff like "oh, he revolutionized the way ppl play guitar blah blah" i already kno this, and that is true. but does that really make him the "best"? again..not in my opinion.

your thoughts?
nobody ever said he was the best, they said he was the greatest

Derigiberble
08-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by eXor
nobody ever said he was the best, they said he was the greatest

the difference being?

Sun King
08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
i saw a movie the other day on hendrix's life...and it was really cool.. cause pete townshed and eric clapton both had a talk and both of them agreed that he was a threat but they also liked him allot.. pete townshed said he thought jimi hendrix revolutionized rock more than the beatles.. but then he corrected himself and said beatles brang songwriting into rock and jimi brang the guitar.. in my opinion hes in the top three or maybe two.. but thats really all it is... opinions..

Distorted
08-19-2005, 02:15 PM
I beleive that Hendrix was probiblay the most influential for a while, then EVH came along and everyone wanted to get his sound. So even though he may have been the most influential, Eddie changed everything.

But Hendrix really was great. He was a master at what he did and he was one of the best guitar players of the 60s. But he wasn't the best of all time. Albert Einstein once said, "there is nothing greater to be proven wrong by a better idea, which will in turn, be proven wrong by an even better idea." Although he was talking about physics, the same is true with guitar. In a way, Hendrix would have been honored that people tried to be better than him, and in many cases they were, but he really was the best for a time.

He died fairly young so we probiblay didn't get to see him in his prime, but so did the great Randy Rhoads. he died even younger than hendrix. He was absolutely amazing as well, but we will never know what he could have been.

So although Hendrix would today be outplayed by guys like Stariani, Vai, (any guy in the G3 tour for that matter), Eddie, or (when he was alive) Randy Rhoads, it is sort of an honor. If that makes any sense.

p.s....... I know Hendrix and Randy are jamming together where ever the hell they are right now.

freewheelinbird
08-19-2005, 02:22 PM
i'd say yes. but its all opinion. if you think someone who can tap out a 300000 note-per-second solo is "the best" go ahead and think that.

technically, he wasn't the best, maybe jimmy page was, but he played with more soul, intensity, and heart than anyone i know.

not to mention his ability to write "wind cries mary" and then trump it with another song, which was trumped by anothr, etc.

fr0zt
08-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Singing and playing like that isn't very easy to do, and I doubt anyone here can do it along with the performance that Jimi could show.

Also, he brought forth some amazing analog recording techniques in the studio, many of which were never used before. He also used feedback prominently than any other artist before him, and when many people would argue that he wasnt the first to use it, he helped make it acceptable to use on albums and perfected it. (George Harrison was actually the one who used it first on a Studio album: I Feel Fine)

So, i'm sure some of you are thinking "I can play Jimi songs, how is he so overrated"? Well Chuck, it's a little thing called feeling. I would say Jimi Hendrix played with more feeling than any other guitarist in history. It's sad to admit, but it's a rarity to find in modern music anymore. :(

SouthernRoCkGoD
08-19-2005, 03:19 PM
and also to add on to that, wow u can play his songs good for u.. but can u make **** like that up? i think not

GFunk_ThE_PuNk0
08-19-2005, 09:42 PM
He was best at his time because he Experimented and created things(mainly why hes "best") but sometimes i actually prefer Tom Morrelo as best or Angus young.

Calling_elvis
08-22-2005, 03:22 PM
lets make babies. all of us.

clockworkorange
09-20-2005, 09:54 PM
im the best

clockworkorange
09-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Hendrix in my opinion was the greatest.
if he would have lived longer he could do anything that any other guitar player could. and why is everyone so obsessed with shred, it is not hard at all. shredding is SOOOOOOO much easier than ballads and blues. shredding is ****ing awesome, but anybody can build up speed and jerk off their guitar neck. pertrucii is fast as lightning but it is chromatic scales so all you have to do is buy a fast as hell guitar (Ibanez), lower the action, then roll your fingers either backwards or fowards while alternate picking really fast. and you cant really argue shred anyways because on the woodstock dvd, after purple haze, hendrix shreds with one hand, then goes into a clean, improvised song. the improvised song is sooo crazy. playing lead and rythm at the same time. he proves this in other songs like little wing and the wind cries mary. there isnt a doubt in my mind that hendrix could have learned any trick invented. but one thing that van halen, vai, satriani, and especially petrucci lack is feeling. hendrix just had a connection between his soul and his guitar. just look at his face when he is playing. he could put more feeling into a note, than many musicians can put in an entire album. its like saying the pledge of allegience, anyone can memorize the words and say them, but only few people can sing it and make that connection to the audience. i have heard it all and to me the best is the one that makes me just feel good inside and when you listen to hendrix, it is almost as if every single song he ever wrote was for you. he could play beautifully, and he could play sketchy. he can harmonize his voice with solos. he was just a man who loved playing guitar more than life itself, and so many musicians today just do it for fame and money. i could go on for hours. many people say its opinion, but i disagree. hendrix just had it

sirpsycho85
09-21-2005, 04:21 PM
^ well i agree jimi is the best, but van halen was also incredible, definitely not just a speed demon even though he did have great speed.

KingBrendan5149
09-21-2005, 04:42 PM
^ van halen is so overrated. anyone can play fast if they practice a lot. it actually takes a whole lot more talent to write a "song" than to shred.

SethMegadefan
09-21-2005, 05:24 PM
^ van halen is so overrated. anyone can play fast if they practice a lot. it actually takes a whole lot more talent to write a "song" than to shred.
What? EVH wrote some awesome stuff, not just solo-wise but rhythm-wise, too. He may not be the best, but he's pretty damn good, and definitely innovative. He's not one of those power-chordists or anything, he actually has some pretty complicated rhythms. Don't hate his style just because it's "fast", because there's a lot more to it than that.

KingBrendan5149
09-21-2005, 05:45 PM
^ yeah, i don't disagree with you that he is talented because he is. i only have a problem with people saying he is the best ever. i personally don't think he made much of an impact on music.

pbnjammer
09-21-2005, 09:12 PM
he's a god

SethMegadefan
09-21-2005, 09:15 PM
^ yeah, i don't disagree with you that he is talented because he is. i only have a problem with people saying he is the best ever. i personally don't think he made much of an impact on music.
Huh? He kind of brought on a wave of virtuoso guitarists. He was one of the pioneers of "shred" in modern music at the time, he's influenced countless musicians, and although he's not THE best ever he's definitely up in the top 10.

MarcusPlaysRock
09-21-2005, 10:01 PM
He's great and probaly is the greatest ever but i like Jimmy Page better.

BlackoutClassic
09-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Definetly not the most skilled
I feel others had much better variety, emotion, touch, technique and skill. In my opinion, he is surpassed by guys like Ritchie Blackmore in sheer technique, skill and variety. In the creativity department, Hendrix is pwned by guys like Brian May and John Cale.

sirpsycho85
09-22-2005, 06:42 AM

isn't that the whole point of what i was saying, that he's NOT just a speed player. sure he influenced a lot of people to be technically proficient, but he's a good songwriter too. far from the best, but still good. the fact that somebody has the ability to play fast is not required or even sufficient to being a great guitarist, but it does help if you already have a lot of good musical ideas, and few will deny how awesome riffs like "Ain't Talkin Bout Love" are. van halen are very far from my favorite band, but eddie should get the credit he is due.

clockworkorange
09-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Definetly not the most skilled
I feel others had much better variety, emotion, touch, technique and skill. In my opinion, he is surpassed by guys like Ritchie Blackmore in sheer technique, skill and variety. In the creativity department, Hendrix is pwned by guys like Brian May and John Cale.

Wow your an idiot. Have you ever even heard Jimi Hendrix or are you just on the evergrowing, "Oh lets hate Jimi Hendrix because he didn't shred" bandwagon. Listen to "The Burning of the Midnight Lamp" and then listen to "Little Wing" and tell me he doesn't have variety, touch, technique and skill.

as for emotion
dude are you insane?
have you ever seen Hendrix play?
he had more emotion than anybody else period. He loved his music with everything that he had. It was his religion, his own "Electric Church" he said that his music helped him find himself and so he loved hiself, therefor he loved God because God created him. Really deep spiritual feeling behind every single note he plays. I won't be able to convince everyone on UG that Hendrix was the best, but I know for sure that Brian May didn't have him beat.

Prophet of Page
09-22-2005, 01:13 PM
People who consider Hendrix the greatest ever haven't heard enough music.

schumi
09-22-2005, 01:58 PM
He probably was..^^clockworkorange really hit the spot there. he says it all

apocalypse13
09-22-2005, 02:43 PM
No.
Jimi Was not the best guitarist. He was an incredible songwriter, but many could outplay him without a doubt. Friedman, Gilbert, Becker, Batio, Satch and the likes of them were the best.

Jimi revolutionized the world of music in a way that almost no one else ever has. He was the "heaviest" of his time, and brought a new form of music into the spotlight, what we know now as classic rock. The only musical revolution that I can even call close to what he did was the trash movement in the eighties, headed by Metallica. Thrash changed music in a huge way, mainly because it axed Glam Rock and went against every barrier set before them in that time. The metal artists in the 70's that inspired the thrash movement, Sabbath, Priest, Kiss, etc. also made an impact, but indirectly, considering the fact that without them, Thrash woudn't be in existence.

The grunge movement in the 90's was big, but nothing to the others. If you want my opinion straight, he was the greatest performer and revolutionist, not the best guitarist though. He has stood the test of time, and influenced countless individuals, some who took part in later big movements of their own. As for his guitar-playing skills, he never came close to touching the true masters of this beautiful instrument. Without him, however, many of these "masters" wouldn't exist, because most were either directly or indirectly influenced by him.

PS- clockworkorange, how can you be so naive?
You have no business saying Van Halen, Vai, Satch, and anyone else have no feeling. I am not on the "I Don't Like Hendrix Because He Doesn't Shred" Bandwagon either, but you are clearly on the "I Don't Know Anthing About Other Forms of Music So I'll Bash It" Bandwagon. First off, have you even heard shred? It is extremely difficult, and not too many damn people can pull off 20+ notes per second. Second, how can you say shed has no feeling. Have you heard "For the Love of God?" Surfing With the Alien?" "SMS?" Probably not, so I would suggest shutting the Hell up until you know what you're talking about. In all due respects- I like Hendrix, he is one of my favorite artists. I also agree he plays with a lot of feeling, more than almost anyone, but I also know that other forms of music have feeling as well.
Just for the record, Hendrix could not outplay a shredder. Outwrite? Yes. Outplay? Hell No. Shred is impossibly difficult and if you think it's so easy lets hear some recordings of you shredding... :rolleyes:

sirpsycho85
09-22-2005, 04:10 PM
^ can you specify what you mean when you say outplay? there are too many factors. technicality goes to the shredders. improvisation goes to hendrix. innovation of new ideas goes to hendrix. if you want to stretch something to its extreme, compare a shredder with a jazz guitarist. who outplays who? i think somebody like wes montgomery destroys any shredder (well actually almost anyone ever) as a guitar player. could he play as fast or precisely? no. but he did play pretty fast considering his strange technique, he did play pretty damn precisely, but his improvisation was phenomenal. if outplaying means technicality, you could make a robot that outplays somebody. so there's too many things that people look for in a guitarist to make generalizations. just in my opinion, shredders beat hendrix in one category: technicality. hendrix beats them in the others, meaning feeling (not that they dont have feeling, just hendrix played with more), improvisational skill, songwriting AND solo writing, etc. maybe it's just easier to say that hendrix was the best music maker using the guitar as his primary instrument, instead of calling him the best guitarist.

KingBrendan5149
09-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Huh? He kind of brought on a wave of virtuoso guitarists. He was one of the pioneers of "shred" in modern music at the time, he's influenced countless musicians, and although he's not THE best ever he's definitely up in the top 10.

Hendrix has influcenced 1000000000000x more guitarists than van halen (ok i exaggerated a little but i hope you get the point). Plus, Hendrix had to sing too, and does van halen? seriously if van halen was never around, randy rhoads would have taken his place.

and i seriously hope you're joking if you think that van halen should be in the top 10. give me a break. van halen doesn't really alter his style that much, if you're comparing him to hendrix or page. does he play the blues? folk? didn't think so.

pbnjammer
09-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Hendrix has influcenced 1000000000000x more guitarists than van halen (ok i exaggerated a little but i hope you get the point). Plus, Hendrix had to sing too, and does van halen? seriously if van halen was never around, randy rhoads would have taken his place.

and i seriously hope you're joking if you think that van halen should be in the top 10. give me a break. van halen doesn't really alter his style that much, if you're comparing him to hendrix or page. does he play the blues? folk? didn't think so.

his name is eddie van halen, van halen is the name of the group...and evh could be on the top 10

MultEntendre!
09-22-2005, 07:58 PM
no Jimi is not the best...only if you think Jimi is the best...then hell he's the best. Think who ever you want to be the best and then they will be

pbnjammer
09-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Singing and playing like that isn't very easy to do, and I doubt anyone here can do it along with the performance that Jimi could show.

Also, he brought forth some amazing analog recording techniques in the studio, many of which were never used before. He also used feedback prominently than any other artist before him, and when many people would argue that he wasnt the first to use it, he helped make it acceptable to use on albums and perfected it. (George Harrison was actually the one who used it first on a Studio album: I Feel Fine)

So, i'm sure some of you are thinking "I can play Jimi songs, how is he so overrated"? Well Chuck, it's a little thing called feeling. I would say Jimi Hendrix played with more feeling than any other guitarist in history. It's sad to admit, but it's a rarity to find in modern music anymore. :(

actually that's john on that first feedback note

Jarrett Moore
09-22-2005, 09:43 PM
I think hendrix was the best guitarist ever. He sttarted a whole new era of music, like some other guy said on this thread ' listen to the other music of his era and you'lll see how much he changed it'. i totally agree with that. also i noticed eddie van halen pop up alot as a a better or as good guitarist. thats totally bull ****. that man has really no difficult playig or anything. try learning a 'Izabella' opposed to 'running with the devil'. all he ever really did was pose a lot. the only song that would pose a slight hinderance to learn would be eruption. he could outdo any shredder. i bring this up cause i heard that in a guitar off or whatever a shredder could take out hendrix. COME ON people watch hendrix live and then watch a shredder. the only thing shredders have over hendrix would be speed. and even then thats not really a big advantage. i can play as fast as any shredder( im not bragging or saying a'm a total pro but an advantage i have over other guitarists is i have really fast twitch muscles.) and its not overly heard to do.in a guitar off hendrix could easily show up the best of shredders.
although this is mostly opinion and not everybody's gonna think he's the best i do.

SethMegadefan
09-22-2005, 10:34 PM

Okay, I respect your opinions, but here's what I have to say:
1. I never said that Hendrix didn't influence anyone, because I realize he was more important than EVH. But you made it seem like EVH was a worthless pile of crap who didn't influence anyway, and I just wanted to set the record straight.
2. It doesn't really matter if EVH sings or not, because we're only comparing their guitar skills. You can't compare them like that because one sings and one doesn't. Plus I never thought Hendrix was the most brilliant singer, either.
3. I happen to like guitarists who aren't constantly altering their style. I'm not saying I hate guitarists with variety, but it's nice to hear some consistency, too. You make it seem as if having a signature sound is bad.
4. Did Hendrix play shred? metal? Didn't think so. See, it's just as easy to put down Hendrix for what styles he didn't play as it is EVH.

clockworkorange
09-22-2005, 11:36 PM
No.
Jimi Was not the best guitarist. He was an incredible songwriter, but many could outplay him without a doubt. Friedman, Gilbert, Becker, Batio, Satch and the likes of them were the best.

Jimi revolutionized the world of music in a way that almost no one else ever has. He was the "heaviest" of his time, and brought a new form of music into the spotlight, what we know now as classic rock. The only musical revolution that I can even call close to what he did was the trash movement in the eighties, headed by Metallica. Thrash changed music in a huge way, mainly because it axed Glam Rock and went against every barrier set before them in that time. The metal artists in the 70's that inspired the thrash movement, Sabbath, Priest, Kiss, etc. also made an impact, but indirectly, considering the fact that without them, Thrash woudn't be in existence.

The grunge movement in the 90's was big, but nothing to the others. If you want my opinion straight, he was the greatest performer and revolutionist, not the best guitarist though. He has stood the test of time, and influenced countless individuals, some who took part in later big movements of their own. As for his guitar-playing skills, he never came close to touching the true masters of this beautiful instrument. Without him, however, many of these "masters" wouldn't exist, because most were either directly or indirectly influenced by him.

PS- clockworkorange, how can you be so naive?
You have no business saying Van Halen, Vai, Satch, and anyone else have no feeling. I am not on the "I Don't Like Hendrix Because He Doesn't Shred" Bandwagon either, but you are clearly on the "I Don't Know Anthing About Other Forms of Music So I'll Bash It" Bandwagon. First off, have you even heard shred? It is extremely difficult, and not too many damn people can pull off 20+ notes per second. Second, how can you say shed has no feeling. Have you heard "For the Love of God?" Surfing With the Alien?" "SMS?" Probably not, so I would suggest shutting the Hell up until you know what you're talking about. In all due respects- I like Hendrix, he is one of my favorite artists. I also agree he plays with a lot of feeling, more than almost anyone, but I also know that other forms of music have feeling as well.
Just for the record, Hendrix could not outplay a shredder. Outwrite? Yes. Outplay? Hell No. Shred is impossibly difficult and if you think it's so easy lets hear some recordings of you shredding... :rolleyes:

ok so Van Halen, Vai, Satch had feeling,but it was nowhere near the feeling that Hendrix had. Playing guitar was his sole purpose, he even believed it would get him to heaven. its not hard to put feeling behind music, but would you quit your job and be a bum just to play music? Hendrix didn't have a job, he went out as a musician for hire and let that fed him. and yes i have heard For the Love of God and yes i have heard Alien and they both are good and have feeling, but not like Hendrix had.
Hendrix could shred before shred was even invented. he was tearing it up with one hand on a Fender Stratocaster. if hendrix would have lived when 20nps was around, i dont doubt he could pull it off. shred is alot like lifting weights, you build up and build up. but there is no exersize for the creativity of Hendrix. Shredding is all on one string at a time, usually tuned down 2 steps so they are super lose with low action. Hendrix played insane leads with rythm at the same time.

trust me, i can play anystyle, ive invented my own techniques, and i know that what hendrix was doing, was eons ahead of his time. he still isn't surpassed. he could play it all. he invented most of the stuff that spawned your so overrated shredding. i know my styles, i know my musicians and i know that Hendrix was the best

apocalypse13
09-23-2005, 02:29 PM
I never said that any shredder had more feeling and emotion than Hendrix, at all. I wouldn't because that's bullshit. No shredder can outwrite Hendrix, as far as I've heard anyway. Hendrix was the best writer and emotion-player, followed by players like Eric Clapton, David Gilmour and Jimmy Page. They could all write a riff or solo better than almost any shredder.

Now, the points being made here are:
1. Hendrix could outwrite and outperform any guitarist.
2. Hendrix was not as fast or technically skilled as any shredders.
3. Shredders are masters of guitar, which is what I call someone who can play virtually anything.
4. Shredders could not write better than Hendrix, Clapton, etc.
5. Shredders could also not play with as much feeling as them.
6. Someone who has truly mastered their intrument 100%, can combine the elements of a shredder, with the elements of songwriting than Hendrix had. I have not yet heard someone who can consistently do this. Some shred songs (My faves the ones listed before) do this, while some other songs that are not shred do this. But no one has done this consistently in most of their songs.

One last thing orange...
Some shredders (Kirk Hammett) play very fast on one string.
The shredders I am talking about (Friedman, Satch, Vai, etc) play fast on all strings. Friedman is a complete master of this, creating very complex leads on multiple frets, scales, and strings, all at intense speeds. (Despite the fact that he claims he doesn't know any scales, he plays by ear.) So no, the best shred is not on one string. Hendrix, as you said probably would have been able to shred, but it wasn't his bag, so he probably would have chose not to.

Also, don't assume I'm a shred head, I'm not. I just believe they are the most technically skilled of all guitarist classifications. I like blues and CR and whatnot, and yes, they played with intense emotion, which is fine too. I just utterly cannot stand new crap where nothing is used in playing besides overused chord progressions.

Sirpsycho85- To clarify things, I mean Hendrix could not outplay them in terms of speed and technicalities. He could easily outplay them in many other fields though.

KingBrendan5149
09-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Okay, I respect your opinions, but here's what I have to say:
1. I never said that Hendrix didn't influence anyone, because I realize he was more important than EVH. But you made it seem like EVH was a worthless pile of crap who didn't influence anyway, and I just wanted to set the record straight.
2. It doesn't really matter if EVH sings or not, because we're only comparing their guitar skills. You can't compare them like that because one sings and one doesn't. Plus I never thought Hendrix was the most brilliant singer, either.
3. I happen to like guitarists who aren't constantly altering their style. I'm not saying I hate guitarists with variety, but it's nice to hear some consistency, too. You make it seem as if having a signature sound is bad.
4. Did Hendrix play shred? metal? Didn't think so. See, it's just as easy to put down Hendrix for what styles he didn't play as it is EVH.

1. I never said that van halen didn't influence anyone. hendrix just did a lot more.

2. Well i think it does matter that van halen didn't sing. You can't evaulate Hendrix and Van Halen fairly if one is doing 2 things and one is only doing 1 thing. Is it? Hendrix could have been techniqually better if he didn't have to front the band and sing. (and play with his teeth and set his guitar on fire)

and by the way, why do you people criticize hendrix for being sloppy? would you really want to listen to his guitarwork clean and crisp?

3. I happen to like guitarists that do alter their style. It makes them more unpredictable and exciting. for example, when you buy a hendrix album, do you know exactly what style of music he's going to play? If you like predictable guitarists, good for you then.

4. why didn't you blame hendrix for not playing punk, grunge, and other styles that weren't around really when hendrix was alive along with metal and shred?

mastershredder4
09-23-2005, 07:02 PM
i think hendrix is the best hands down...

combustion00
09-23-2005, 08:08 PM
your right about that "h revolutionized but other people play in different ways, slash and eddie were also differnt but they are all good

they're red hot
09-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Please.... just appreciate him.
In my personal opinion, Jimi was and is ,the best, but since you guys can't let it go... just appreciate him and his legend... and if you don't like him.......
There's something wrong with you.

SethMegadefan
09-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Please.... just appreciate him.
In my personal opinion, Jimi was and is ,the best, but since you guys can't let it go... just appreciate him and his legend... and if you don't like him.......
There's something wrong with you.
Er... no. In fact, that's called something that's very natural? What's the name of it again? Oh yeah:
HAVING AN OPINION
So who cares if some people don't think he's the best? Does it really bother you that much? Sheesh, people have the right to like whomever they want, you shouldn't make a big deal out of it if someone doesn't share the same opinion as you.

mosesbrown
09-23-2005, 10:15 PM
I think the best is either Dave Gilmour, SRV, or Jimi, but really thats just an opinion.

By the way, Jimmy Page is my favorite, but I don't think he was as skilled as the other guys.

WestonD
09-24-2005, 12:20 AM
no he wasnt the best eddie van halen was ERUPTION man

The UG Squirrel
09-24-2005, 01:14 AM
i hate it when people say that hendrix was the best because he played with the most 'feeling'. 'feeling' in songs is not measurable, so i think its stupid to say at x guitarist has more 'feeling' than y guitarist.

this is also a really crappy thread, its another one of those hendrix threads which result in pages of arguments

pbnjammer
09-24-2005, 01:44 AM
for the non-hendrix believers, listen to all along the watchtower, LISTENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. hendrix is not my favorite guitarist and all along the watchtower isnt my favorite song but listen. listen with your heart, ignore the fact that it's hendrix--listen to the layers of guitars. there's so much on that song that despite listening to that song so many times i have no idea what any of the lyrics are. that guitar work is amazing. why do i enjoy listening to hendrix, because he came up with those parts and he played them. i know it's a dylan cover but he came up with 10,000 things to add to it and i like how he gives props to another one of my favs

Erc
09-24-2005, 02:07 AM
Hmm I thought I'd come in and clear some things up.

I hate to state the fucking obvious but it seems I have to... There is no "best" guitarist.

Jimi was a great songwriter and ahead technically in his time but he sure wasn't the best in the world technically. The reason he is held up on a pedistole(sp?_ of praise and bull**** is because he created a whole new genre about, classic rock.

So hmm since the criteria making Jimi the supposed "best"...wouldn't that make players like Randy Rhoads and Yngwie the best...Randy being the first to really add Classical influences and being quite technical and a great songwriter and Yngwie rising with monster chops and creating Neo-Classical shred?

Randy Rhoads isn't considered the "best" by you dumb****s because he helped revolutionize metal...a not to popular mainstream genre...same goes with Yngwie with neo-classical...but Jimi creating classic rock which happens to be insanely popular, makes him with one bit popularity contest.

He is not the best...he is popular. Now shut up.

Jimi also can't out improvise a shredder, sorry but if you notice that all his solos are in a pentonic box? A shredder who knows his theory and scales certainly isn't as limited as Jimi was....so a shredder (considering he was good) would have much more color in an improvisation...

Also "shredders" don't play on one damn string...any one who does isn't a shredder, and I doubt that many of you guys who claim to "come up with my own techniques" and to be able to shred like any shredder really can....cleanely? Consistantly? Can you pull of sweeps like becker and hybrid pick and strink skip like Shawn Lane? Nope? Didn't think so asshole now cram it.

Also Kirk Hammet is not a shredder, no where near....neither is Kerry King or any other half assed sloppy guitarists you guys think can play well.

And if I had to choose a "best" guitarist, one I favored the most it would be shawn lane...amazing technical ability and phrasing.

BTW I'm not bashing Hendrix in anyway, I love hendrix's stuff and I agree that he was brilliant...but he wasn't the "best".

apocalypse13
09-24-2005, 05:54 PM
^^^
Thank you for clearing everything up...
Shred is on one string...lol :rolleyes:

mastershredder4
09-24-2005, 09:01 PM
for the non-hendrix believers, listen to all along the watchtower, LISTENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. hendrix is not my favorite guitarist and all along the watchtower isnt my favorite song but listen. listen with your heart, ignore the fact that it's hendrix--listen to the layers of guitars. there's so much on that song that despite listening to that song so many times i have no idea what any of the lyrics are. that guitar work is amazing. why do i enjoy listening to hendrix, because he came up with those parts and he played them. i know it's a dylan cover but he came up with 10,000 things to add to it and i like how he gives props to another one of my favs

amen^^:cheers:

they're red hot
09-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Er... no. In fact, that's called something that's very natural? What's the name of it again? Oh yeah:
HAVING AN OPINION
So who cares if some people don't think he's the best? Does it really bother you that much? Sheesh, people have the right to like whomever they want, you shouldn't make a big deal out of it if someone doesn't share the same opinion as you.

Dude. Seriously, are you better than him?
Just let it be. I didn't say every one should think he's the best, I said "I" think he's the best. Just listen to whatever your listening to right now and let the legend of Jimi be. No it doesn't bother me.

oarjammer116
09-24-2005, 09:35 PM
THANK YOU!! someone else thinks that jimi wasnt the best! he was awesome but he was around for like 3 years! jimmy page was around since '69 im my opinion page is THE best

agreth_3rd
09-25-2005, 07:13 AM
he's certainly the most influential rock guitarist of all time. I don't see the point in arguing on who is the best guitarist of all time.

VoodooChild15
09-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Whether he was the best is up to opinion, but he was unquestionably the greatest. Other people may have been more skilled than him, but in terms of influence, no one can touch him. He's got this iconic status that makes it so that even if someone can outplay him, they can't dethrone him. I also believe he was very close to being if not was the best in terms of skill, especially after watching that Live at Woodstock special edition two disc thingy that came out last week.

DancingDays
09-26-2005, 07:08 AM
i think Jimmy Page was the best, he was alot more versatile and could play almost any style and was just as creative with his weird tunings, violin bow and doublneck.

clockworkorange
09-26-2005, 12:39 PM
i hate it when people say that hendrix was the best because he played with the most 'feeling'. 'feeling' in songs is not measurable, so i think its stupid to say at x guitarist has more 'feeling' than y guitarist.

this is also a really crappy thread, its another one of those hendrix threads which result in pages of arguments

i think you misunderstood.
when i saw hendrix had the most feeling, i ment for himself.
he loved playing guitar more than anything in the world, and like i said before, he truly thought that his music would get him into heaven. now feeling from the listener varies from person to person.
lets take the first Wah breakdown after the ascending octave wah lick. i get such a crazy feeling every time i hear that specific 3 seconds of music. it is not hard to play at all, but to make it sound like Hendrix did leaves me stupified. i even put the wah the same way Hendrix did. i rock it at the same time, but the way Hendrix did it is impossible to recreate. someone else could get feelings of hate when they heard that part. feeling for the listener is unmeasurable, but feeling for your own music is and im willing to bet that vary few people loved their music like Hendrix did.

and also, im going to go on about shred again.
it is not mastering your guitar, that is bulls**t.
the only way to master the guitar is to learn every single skill that has ever been done. and even after you have mastered the major skills, you have to know how to make every single sound that has ever been made. you have to know every chord, every scale. this doesnt have to be learned from a book, you can do it by ear, but that is my definition of mastery. and shred isnt the hardest skill to learn. it is stupid to say that you are a master of the guitar just because you can shred. shred is only a small part of playing the guitar. if you were to ask me playing acoustic is way harder than shredding. acoustic is 100 percent you, no distortion , no effects. shred is all speed which can be built up. shred sounds good on any scale. acoustic is harder because the smallest mistake will mess you up. shred is great, fun to play, makes you feel like you rule, but you don't because their is soo much more.

Jarrett Moore
09-26-2005, 05:17 PM
he loved playing guitar more than anything in the world, and like i said before, he truly thought that his music would get him into heaven. now feeling from the listener varies from person to person.
lets take the first Wah breakdown after the ascending octave wah lick. i get such a crazy feeling every time i hear that specific 3 seconds of music. it is not hard to play at all, but to make it sound like Hendrix did leaves me stupified. i even put the wah the same way Hendrix did. i rock it at the same time, but the way Hendrix did it is impossible to recreate. someone else could get feelings of hate when they heard that part. feeling for the listener is unmeasurable, but feeling for your own music is and im willing to bet that vary few people loved their music like Hendrix did.

the only way to master the guitar is to learn every single skill that has ever been done. and even after you have mastered the major skills, you have to know how to make every single sound that has ever been made. you have to know every chord, every scale. this doesnt have to be learned from a book, you can do it by ear, but that is my definition of mastery. and shred isnt the hardest skill to learn. it is stupid to say that you are a master of the guitar just because you can shred. shred is only a small part of playing the guitar. if you were to ask me playing acoustic is way harder than shredding. acoustic is 100 percent you, no distortion , no effects. shred is all speed which can be built up. shred sounds good on any scale. acoustic is harder because the smallest mistake will mess you up. shred is great, fun to play, makes you feel like you rule, but you don't because their is soo much more.

amen man. you nailed that 1

crazydiamond73
09-27-2005, 10:54 PM
theres always gonna be some underground guy thats better than who everyone thinks is the best, and then someone who is better than him, and so on and so forth

The UG Squirrel
09-27-2005, 11:57 PM

ever heard of acoustic players like al dimeola, john mcloughlin and paco delucia? yes you can play fast and well on an acoustic. i didnt say shred was about mastering the guitar, its about making music, fool. most shredders do not claim that they are masters of the guitar, contrary to what your stereotyped mind may believe. also saying shred will sound good on any scale just seems...well... stupid to me. its like me telling you that you'll sound good playing anything using a fender strat through a marshall with a wah pedal. its bullshit, really. what was the point in the second half of that post?

conclusion: emotion is in the listener. it doesnt matter to me what facial expression a guitar player has, or how much he wants to get into heaven. i judge on the music.

Jarrett Moore
09-28-2005, 12:19 AM
ever heard of acoustic players like al dimeola, john mcloughlin and paco delucia? yes you can play fast and well on an acoustic. i didnt say shred was about mastering the guitar, its about making music, fool. most shredders do not claim that they are masters of the guitar, contrary to what your stereotyped mind may believe. also saying shred will sound good on any scale just seems...well... stupid to me. its like me telling you that you'll sound good playing anything using a fender strat through a marshall with a wah pedal. its bullshit, really. what was the point in the second half of that post?

conclusion: emotion is in the listener. it doesnt matter to me what facial expression a guitar player has, or how much he wants to get into heaven. i judge on the music.

first of it takes a lot more practice to be able to play good on acou=stic than in all the electric distortiony thing s shredders use, im not narcing on shredders or anything cause it is fun 2 play. and yeah man shred does sound pretty good on any scale, not all but quitre a few. and your right it doesn't matter what facial expression you have but where the hell did you get that from to usew in your argument? and about the heaven thing HENDRIX NEVER SAID THAT. unless he did and i missed it, although i didn't, hendrix didn't believe in it so much he thought it would get him to heaven. i know it was originally clockworkorange who said that but that wasn't what made him , in my opinion, the greatest guitaris ever. i do agree on the feeling tho. and it is the emotion people get when they hear his music thats what, i think, makes him the greatest guitarist ever is cause he had such emotion in himself and to the listeners. and like you said about judging on the music, thats right, i do judge on the music and to me its better than any other guitarist so far, everyone else is judging on the music as well but its his feeling and emotion that he put into his music that sets him over. thats what people keep saying but u seem to be missing the points of what they mean. so as you said we all listen to the music too. and youre wrong the emotion isn't just in the listener the musicien(guitarist in this case) has to put feeling and emotion into his music otherwise its usually a pretty dead song. and thats what helped boost hendrix ahead. all his emotion, and like you said listeneing to the music, and with his it blows you away. DUHHHHHH

SdKfz
09-28-2005, 08:08 AM
YES Jimi Henderix was the best. And I'll tell you why:

=>the great solos he played. he never said 'lets play a pentatonic mirror and see'' he played something and knew that it sounded exaclty like what he had in his mind.

=>the verses. He never said, ''ok let's hit a E5 chord and then...maybe an D5 and if something nice comes out, great''. Every single note he played was, what he wanted exactly to play. In Little Wing, Hey Joe, Purple Haze he produces new chords, and that's why it sounds so great, because he knew that in one chord he played, that all notes are neccesary and should sound like this.

=> his speed. He is also a great guitarist, becasue he played so fast solos.

=> the difficulty of the songs he played in order to have the result he wanted.

=> his feeling of playing. His solos as Bold As Love, Little Wing, Hey Joe,
Spanish Castel Magic are great just from the way the sound. The are not like Metallica or Iron Maiden. Jimi Hendrix's solos have Sense. The are not just fast pentatonics.

=>the knew sounds he produced with pedal effects, tremolo bar and other stuff. He made clear guitar playing is not ony hitting strings with one hand with a pick and placing fingers of teh other hand on the fretboard

I am not telling you this because I like him, or because he is my favorite guitarist. I could say many simmilar thigns for Jimmy Page or Tony Iommi, or Ritchie Blackmore

SethMegadefan
09-28-2005, 02:23 PM
The are not like Metallica or Iron Maiden. Jimi Hendrix's solos have Sense. The are not just fast pentatonics.
Er... Maiden's solos aren't just fast pentatonics either. Adrian Smith happens to be a really awesome guitarist... Dave's pretty versatile as well. Don't try to demean other bands' careers by saying their solos are all the same.

Derigiberble
09-28-2005, 02:24 PM
yup maiden and metallicas solos both use the aeolian major scale :p:

im cool :cool:

SethMegadefan
09-28-2005, 05:19 PM
yup maiden and metallicas solos both use the aeolian major scale :p:

im cool :cool:
Meh, Metallica's solos were original, and then Hammett just basically gave up and stuck with pentatonics. I especially thought "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets" had brilliant lead work, but by "Load" it was like he wasn't even trying anymore.
Maiden, on the other hand... well, Maiden's just never going to get old.

SdKfz
09-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Comon Hendrix could sing over solos and the notes he singed where the nnotes he played with his guitar. You guys must see ideos of him

can't_stop4ever
09-29-2005, 02:40 PM
yes

The UG Squirrel
09-30-2005, 04:49 AM
first of it takes a lot more practice to be able to play good on acou=stic than in all the electric distortiony thing s shredders use, im not narcing on shredders or anything cause it is fun 2 play. and yeah man shred does sound pretty good on any scale, not all but quitre a few. and your right it doesn't matter what facial expression you have but where the hell did you get that from to usew in your argument? and about the heaven thing HENDRIX NEVER SAID THAT. unless he did and i missed it, although i didn't, hendrix didn't believe in it so much he thought it would get him to heaven. i know it was originally clockworkorange who said that but that wasn't what made him , in my opinion, the greatest guitaris ever. i do agree on the feeling tho. and it is the emotion people get when they hear his music thats what, i think, makes him the greatest guitarist ever is cause he had such emotion in himself and to the listeners. and like you said about judging on the music, thats right, i do judge on the music and to me its better than any other guitarist so far, everyone else is judging on the music as well but its his feeling and emotion that he put into his music that sets him over. thats what people keep saying but u seem to be missing the points of what they mean. so as you said we all listen to the music too. and youre wrong the emotion isn't just in the listener the musicien(guitarist in this case) has to put feeling and emotion into his music otherwise its usually a pretty dead song. and thats what helped boost hendrix ahead. all his emotion, and like you said listeneing to the music, and with his it blows you away. DUHHHHHH

i guess you have points. if hendrix didnt say that then i guess that just makes clockworkorange an idiot. some people use the facial expressions and say that it makes the guitarist more emotive etc etc. imo hendrix is good, but not great

Wannabehippie
09-30-2005, 05:27 AM
Comon Hendrix could sing over solos and the notes he singed where the nnotes he played with his guitar. You guys must see ideos of him

I got told that all of his videos are just flashing lights an physchadelic colours and stuff. Not good if your epileptic.

studwig
09-30-2005, 11:30 AM
although jimmy page gave him a run for his money i think hendrix is the best guitar player of all time

clockworkorange
09-30-2005, 12:53 PM
i guess you have points. if hendrix didnt say that then i guess that just makes clockworkorange an idiot. some people use the facial expressions and say that it makes the guitarist more emotive etc etc. imo hendrix is good, but not great

http://www.inet.hr/~abubalo/index2.htm
****ers

Hendrix was the best

donender
09-30-2005, 12:58 PM
i think hes creativity and soul was amazing, but now there are guitarists who can beat him down

bong-water
09-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Of coarse he's not the best, no one in the world is the "best", it's impossible. He simply helped innovate the guitar as well as we know it, but no one really knows in the long run if he really made a difference today. Sure he was talented and all, but why don't we ever talk about the guitarists that influenced Jimi? They were hella talented, and probably influenced guitar/music a lot more than Jimi did.

And could everyone stop getting so upset the minute someone critises Jimi? Everyones entilted to their own opinion.

clockworkorange
09-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Of coarse he's not the best, no one in the world is the "best", it's impossible. He simply helped innovate the guitar as well as we know it, but no one really knows in the long run if he really made a difference today. Sure he was talented and all, but why don't we ever talk about the guitarists that influenced Jimi? They were hella talented, and probably influenced guitar/music a lot more than Jimi did.

dude i love Chuck Berry, but Hendrix destroyed him creatively and technically.
Chuck Berry was a bigger influence because he invented rock and roll with Johnny B Goode but Hendrix changed the guitar forever, and no mater how much you hate him, you have to respect him because if it wasn't for him, then you wouldn't have your precious shred.

that was going to all of the confused shred lovers on this forum

bong-water
09-30-2005, 01:08 PM
I don't the man, I just think he gets a little too much shine when others are left in the shadow. And I think rock and roll is a little more important then shred.

clockworkorange
09-30-2005, 01:15 PM
I don't the man, I just think he gets a little too much shine when others are left in the shadow. And I think rock and roll is a little more important then shred.

thank god
i dont know, where i live everyone is on the "Its cool to hate Jimmy Hendrix" bandwagon.
it pisses me off
he does get alot of spotlight, but i think he deserves every second of it. if he was still alive, he probly wouldnt be as big as he was. he was just like a 4 year explosion that set the world on fire. its hard to really know because we wernt there when he was around. same thing with alot of writers, Poe didn't get famous untill long after he was dead. There are others that need some spotlight but they probly now its only cool to be an emo band or a shred band. Galder from Dimmu Borgir has a ****ing CRAZY solo with just about every thing you can do on a guitar in the song The Insight and Catharisis but he isnt big because they are black metal. thats usually the case, the thing about Hendrix, is everyone can listen to him because he played in a new genre. Everyone wanted change and rock and roll was a change. the people against war could listen to Hendrix's antiwar songs, and the people in the war could listen to his rocking songs. he just had it

bong-water
09-30-2005, 01:20 PM
thank god
i dont know, where i live everyone is on the "Its cool to hate Jimmy Hendrix" bandwagon.
it pisses me off
he does get alot of spotlight, but i think he deserves every second of it. if he was still alive, he probly wouldnt be as big as he was. he was just like a 4 year explosion that set the world on fire. its hard to really know because we wernt there when he was around. same thing with alot of writers, Poe didn't get famous untill long after he was dead. There are others that need some spotlight but they probly now its only cool to be an emo band or a shred band. Galder from Dimmu Borgir has a ****ing CRAZY solo with just about every thing you can do on a guitar in the song The Insight and Catharisis but he isnt big because they are black metal. thats usually the case, the thing about Hendrix, is everyone can listen to him because he played in a new genre. Everyone wanted change and rock and roll was a change. the people against war could listen to Hendrix's antiwar songs, and the people in the war could listen to his rocking songs. he just had it

I know what you're getting at and all, and I actually do enjoy most of Jimi's work, but I just hate it when kids go around saying they love Jimi Hendrix and he was the best and all that, but don't actually have an arguement. Most of the time those kids don't even listen to Hendrix. It's cool to listen to classic rock at my school, so theirs a lot of kids like that.

clockworkorange
09-30-2005, 01:27 PM
I know what you're getting at and all, and I actually do enjoy most of Jimi's work, but I just hate it when kids go around saying they love Jimi Hendrix and he was the best and all that, but don't actually have an arguement. Most of the time those kids don't even listen to Hendrix. It's cool to listen to classic rock at my school, so theirs a lot of kids like that.

ya
ive explained why i think Hendrix is the best THOUSANDS of time, but it all comes down to opinion.
i can play every style and some are easier for me that are harder for other people and vice-versa. thats just how it will always be. for now i think Hendrix is the best, maybe he was maybe he wasnt. no one can really change stubborn minds

maybe if i said
Jimi Hendrix was the best because God said so

JimmyStradlin33
09-30-2005, 02:08 PM
The players who are called the greats are the people who have brought new innovations to the guitar. Clapton was one of the first to bring in the use of the wah pedal as was hendrix. Hendrix also brought in the whammy bar and loads of other effects. Page invented heavy metal, brought the double neck guitar into music and used a violin bow. Van Halen invented tapping and brought new ideas to the guitar less than 10 years after Hendrix and all these brilliant new innovations had taken place. So what if Steve Vai and Joe Satriani can play them a million miles quicker. They've not brought anything new to the guitar. It's like the old quote about one of Picasso's pieces of art. One person says to another when looking at it 'I could do that' and the other person says 'But you couldn't think of doing that could you'.

dave85
09-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Jimi Hendrix was an excellent guitarist but he was not the best.

Xinlitik
09-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Hendrix was very creative, but face it, he wasn't the best. Not by far.

Jarrett Moore
10-01-2005, 04:26 PM
The players who are called the greats are the people who have brought new innovations to the guitar. Clapton was one of the first to bring in the use of the wah pedal as was hendrix. Hendrix also brought in the whammy bar and loads of other effects. Page invented heavy metal, brought the double neck guitar into music and used a violin bow. Van Halen invented tapping and brought new ideas to the guitar less than 10 years after Hendrix and all these brilliant new innovations had taken place. So what if Steve Vai and Joe Satriani can play them a million miles quicker. They've not brought anything new to the guitar. It's like the old quote about one of Picasso's pieces of art. One person says to another when looking at it 'I could do that' and the other person says 'But you couldn't think of doing that could you'.

youre close man, but clapton and jimi hendrix didn't introduce wah-wah they were some of the big hitters that help bring it in but there was lots of bands with wah wah in use. and clapton didn't really use wah wah to much, i know only of a couple songs that he did with wah wah. youre right about hendrix bringing in lots of other effects thats true. but the paret of page is a little off. he didn't invent heavy metal, he's said that about a hundred times in interviews and stuff, he played fast is what most define hiom as bringing in heavy but he didn't. sure he played fast and had some heavy songs but he didn't introduce heavy metal. that was black sabbath who did that. and page wasn't the first 1 to use a bow, it was some other guy but iu can't recall his name at the moment, this guy asked him if he had ever 'bowed' his guiytar and that made him try it. and eddie van halen did not invent tapping. that had been around for a long time before eddie ever used it. hes just famous for it cause he used it the most as for new ideas eddie wasn't all to original. van halen was 1 of the first on the 80's genre scene but his stuff was pretty easy to do, wich is cool if you dig that stuff but for originallity he wasn't top gun. about the Steve Vai and Joe Satriani comment i wouldn't clock them as overly fast. i don't know much of Joe Satriani's work so i wouldn't know how really fast he is but for steve vai he's not overly fast. just 1 of those guys known for guitar other than that im not really into his scene.

just so you know: im not bringing down any of the guitarist you mentioned causeyou named some of my favorites(Hendrix, Page, Clapton) im just correcting some of the facts you had wrong.

jimizeppelin
10-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Jimi hendrix is the best guitarist music's ever had. Then again it's just my opinion

The UG Squirrel
10-02-2005, 06:57 AM

oh dear....

zappa was the first to use the wah wah pedal,
its pretty well established that black sabbath created metal
townshend was using a doubleneck live before jimmy was
what the fuck does using a violin bow make anything practical? noone else uses it because its a terrible idea.
eddie van halen did not invent tapping
steve vai and joe satriani arent known because theyre fast, theyre known because they can write great music without words. just because they arent sloppy like page is no reason to diss them. i doubt youve even heard vai and satch.

your post = useless

bong-water
10-02-2005, 01:56 PM
If anyone's interested, Roger Water's actually used a bow on his bass in 1967. Not saying he's the first, but I found that interesting.

mmonster
10-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Hendrix was many things that make him special that we all take for granted now.I first heard Hendrx in early 1968.I was 11 and had been playing for about 4 years.what I heard floored me.Sure,Sgt.Pepper rocked like no other Beatle's album before and Jim Morrison and the Doors had a great sound going.but once you heard Jimi,everything else paled in comparison.He was an innovator-and took guitar playing to a new level.he played pedals and feedback like they were seperate instruments.I have heard that Clapton cried when he saw Hendrix play and I beleive it.he made eveyone want to play better,louder,faster and has influenced all that follow.That includes all the 70's guitar gods and todays shredders.Best?hard to say-some people do Hendrix better that he did,but he was cut short in his prime and was just getting started when he died.

bong-water
10-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Sure,Sgt.Pepper rocked like no other Beatle's album before and Jim Morrison and the Doors had a great sound going.but once you heard Jimi,everything else paled in comparison.

Ok, that's enough already. I have heard Jimi's music, and I have heard other music from that era. It's very understandable that he innovated the guitar and all, but he didn't innovate music in general all that much. And when you say stuff about how The Doors and The Beatles were so beneath Jimi and his band, that just plain pisses me off. Bands like The doors and The Beatles, they didn't focus so much on the guitar, but more on the whole band, and experimented until they found a unique sound. They took music and just totally stretched it's limits, while Jimi just mainly focused on the guitar. When you have a band that has just one person who gets all the attention, then you're not really getting the full feel of it. Oh coarse, I mostly like bands who aren't always focusing on the guitar, and I that might be fine with the rest of you. I'm not trying to put down Jimi, I'm just saying I'd rather listen to "light my fire" then the star spangled banner by Hendrix. Flame me all you want, this is just my opinion.

barfy2000
10-02-2005, 02:27 PM
honestly, who cares if jimi hendrix was the bet guitarist or not? if you like him, then thats all that really matters right? who cares if jimmy page or kurt cobain was better if you like hendrix more, then whats the big deal?...i know, when i pick up my guitar and play, i'm not hoping that some day some kid wonders if i was the very best at the guitar. that could mean no less to me, i just want people to listen to my music, and take it for what it is...an expression of my feelings and thoughts, and hopefully they enjoy that.

so dont do jimi any injustice by comparing him with others, cuz everyone is unique in their own way, so just listen to them, and draw your own conclusions....these is ____ guitarist the best ever? are really annoying and pointless.

mmonster
10-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Ok, that's enough already. I have heard Jimi's music, and I have heard other music from that era. It's very understandable that he innovated the guitar and all, but he didn't innovate music in general all that much. And when you say stuff about how The Doors and The Beatles were so beneath Jimi and his band, that just plain pisses me off. Bands like The doors and The Beatles, they didn't focus so much on the guitar, but more on the whole band, and experimented until they found a unique sound. They took music and just totally stretched it's limits, while Jimi just mainly focused on the guitar. When you have a band that has just one person who gets all the attention, then you're not really getting the full feel of it. Oh coarse, I mostly like bands who aren't always focusing on the guitar, and I that might be fine with the rest of you. I'm not trying to put down Jimi, I'm just saying I'd rather listen to "light my fire" then the star spangled banner by Hendrix. Flame me all you want, this is just my opinion.

I am talking about his influeance on guitar playing,not music in general.after all this is a forum for guitar players.

Jimi_is_god
10-03-2005, 07:06 AM
He is god
He did revoulutionise guitar. He was like the inventer of solo-e-ness
He is da man. Any gud guitarist is a big fan of Jimi man. Get with it.
Na its all gud. Believe wat u want bt dats my opinion
Peace out
K DoG

SdKfz
10-03-2005, 07:38 AM
.he played pedals and feedback like they were seperate instruments.

What exactly is feedback? And waht exactly pedals did Hendrix used?

I have heard that Clapton cried when he saw Hendrix play and I beleive it

What do you mean? Why did he cried?

getting started when he died.

COmmon he died in his glory, he is not as Ozzy know or Blackmore. Imagine that he would live today. He would have changed style. I tell you: you could see him playing power-hammer metal, in band as Blink Guardian. ****!!

Derigiberble
10-03-2005, 09:12 AM
:haha hendrix playing "power hammer metal" (whatever that is)

ok seriously, im gonna do my best here to come to a conclusion on this whole argument, a. because im bored and b. because this thread is getting ridiculous.

ok so here goes nothing

Firstly, Jimi Hendrix was and is not the best guitarist of all time ever, because there is NO best guitarist in the world, got that, NO best guitarist. Thats because, every guitarist is good in there own right, yes some people are better than others, but the best guitarist can only be the person that can play every different style at the highest possible level. Now bring that person to me and I will tell you that they are the best guitarist in the world. Now, that doesn't mean that Hendrix was a bad guitarist, he was sloppy live, but his studio work more than makes up for that, and considering it was mostly unedited and that he used very little overdubbing, I think that speaks for itself. However, and heres the real point, talent does not, i repeat NOT buy you fame. How many of you have guitar teachers that could pwn the pants off of Hendrix? I know I do. Hendrix was famous because he was original and set music alight. He was influencial and changed music, that is certain, but that doesn't make you the best guitarist in the world. I don't think anyone is doubting Hendrix's influencial ablity, or even guitar playing ability, merely that some people think hes better than he actually is. This runs through with every famous guitarist, Page, Clapton, EVH. All of these guys are talented, but none of them are the best in the world. Same with every shredder, good but not the best. Why? Because ask a shredder to pick up an acoustic guitar and play blues fingerstyles. See what happens. Ask Clapton to play death metal or even jazz. See what happens. There is no point in arguing about it, because in the end, they are all completly different. Every guitarist is unique in their own right, and therefore it is impossible to say one guitarist is the best over another, because you are basing your judgement on factors that are unrelated to each guitarist.

i could keep going but im tired now, i hope this satisfies everyone, i don't like arguing (unless it's about Page :p: ) so i think this should settle things.

SouthernRoCkGoD
10-03-2005, 10:21 AM
i think anyone that read the post above me just got a little stupider.. most of you ppl who comment about how hendrix wasnt the best havnt listened to everything hendrix had written. its all opinionated so dont bitch at me about this but hendrix had an awsome song in just about every catagory of music you could think of, and to say that a guitar teacher would own the pants on hendrix.. frankly you underestimate jimi hendrix and or you are mentaly retarded.. aka losen the buckles on your retard helmet to let some blood flow to your brain... guitar greatness is not defined by technicality (spelling?) the fact that hendrix created all that original music was why hes considered the greatest. "wow someone can play blazing fast" that takes skill yes... well hendrix could play fast.. but he does something all the artist that can play blazing fast now.. more creativity... in my opinion jimi hendrix is the greatest guitar player of all time up to this point. some ppl may be able to beat him at speed... and even if they do, not by much (watch some of the hendrix dvds, they have clips of him playing blazing fast riffs while rolling around on the ground) that lack the creativity hendrix had.. the song writing... the ballad creation... god.. whoevever says hendrix sucks is bland lol

Derigiberble
10-03-2005, 10:30 AM
i think anyone that read the post above me just got a little stupider.. most of you ppl who comment about how hendrix wasnt the best havnt listened to everything hendrix had written. its all opinionated so dont bitch at me about this but hendrix had an awsome song in just about every catagory of music you could think of, and to say that a guitar teacher would own the pants on hendrix.. frankly you underestimate jimi hendrix and or you are mentaly retarded.. aka losen the buckles on your retard helmet to let some blood flow to your brain... guitar greatness is not defined by technicality (spelling?) the fact that hendrix created all that original music was why hes considered the greatest. "wow someone can play blazing fast" that takes skill yes... well hendrix could play fast.. but he does something all the artist that can play blazing fast now.. more creativity... in my opinion jimi hendrix is the greatest guitar player of all time up to this point. some ppl may be able to beat him at speed... and even if they do, not by much (watch some of the hendrix dvds, they have clips of him playing blazing fast riffs while rolling around on the ground) that lack the creativity hendrix had.. the song writing... the ballad creation... god.. whoevever says hendrix sucks is bland lol

at what point did I say hendrix sucked? did you read me post?

if you honestly believe Hendrix was good in every genre then you are a fool

classical, jazz, latin, funk, metal, folk?

ever see him play any of those?

SouthernRoCkGoD
10-03-2005, 10:58 AM
hendrix created what is called "heavy metal" with the riff from purple haze >_O like said watch the dvd's do some research... hendrix played in a jazz band in the military
latin i dont think you can really bring up because latin music isnt known for its guitar... its not very popular right now and im sure even less known back when hendrix was around.. folk.. not too sure about either sence jimi didnt play a banjo or a bucket... but uh... hendrix did play jazz and essentially created the heavy sound that became heavy metal..

Derigiberble
10-03-2005, 02:13 PM
hendrix created what is called "heavy metal" with the riff from purple haze >_O like said watch the dvd's do some research... hendrix played in a jazz band in the military
latin i dont think you can really bring up because latin music isnt known for its guitar... its not very popular right now and im sure even less known back when hendrix was around.. folk.. not too sure about either sence jimi didnt play a banjo or a bucket... but uh... hendrix did play jazz and essentially created the heavy sound that became heavy metal..

every post you write makes me question your intelligence. Hendrix wasn't in the military, he claimed to be gay to avoid it. He never created metal, The Kinks created metal with You Really Got me, and as for the comments about a. folk not using guitars, Bob Dylan, Nick Drake, The Band, ever heard of them? And latin what are you talking about, of course it involves guitars, classical acoustic style playing. You have no clue, you a merely a fool

SouthernRoCkGoD
10-03-2005, 02:18 PM
ROFL ?! HEndrix wasnt in the military? LOL LOL you just proved you dont know what the **** your talking about kid.. and for your info...hendrix was along ways b4 the kinks and when hendrix first played "purple haze" live ppl started comparing the hard sound for "heavy metal" aka the birth of the term heavy metal and the start of a harder sound....
you officially been kicked in the nuts by me... stop talking your owned..

SouthernRoCkGoD
10-03-2005, 02:19 PM
and one more thing... jim morrison was the one who said that he was gay to avoid the military o yee of little knowledge

Derigiberble
10-03-2005, 02:23 PM
firstly, id like you to read this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254193

then, i'd like to point out something to you

You Really Got Me - The Kinks Released 1964

Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Released 1967

em.... i guess that means what.... owned?

JimmyStradlin33
10-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Wow Derigiberble did i just see you pay Page a compliment? :eek:
"This runs through with every famous guitarist, Page, Clapton, EVH. All of these guys are talented,"

Derigiberble
10-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Wow Derigiberble did i just see you pay Page a compliment? :eek:
"This runs through with every famous guitarist, Page, Clapton, EVH. All of these guys are talented,"

he has some level of talent, hes just not as good as everyone thinks he is, and hes an theiving bastard :p:

JimmyStradlin33
10-03-2005, 02:30 PM
thats more like it

jewishosama
10-03-2005, 07:19 PM
firstly, id like you to read this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254193

then, i'd like to point out something to you

You Really Got Me - The Kinks Released 1964

Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Released 1967

em.... i guess that means what.... owned?

Yeah, thats great, but Hendrix was in the military. Just so you know.

mmonster
10-03-2005, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=SdKfz]What exactly is feedback? And waht exactly pedals did Hendrix used?

What do you mean? Why did he cried?

COmmon he died in his glory, he is not as Ozzy know or Blackmore. Imagine that he would live today. He would have changed style. I tell you: you could see him playing power-hammer metal, in band as Blink Guardian. ****!![/QUOTE

1-why are you at a guitar site if you don't know what feedback is?anyway,Hendrix used several pedals on stage and in the studio.he had a Vox Wah-Wah,a Fuzz-Face,a Mayer Octavia that sounded the same note one octave higher and lower,kinda like a 12 or 18 string effect.also a leslie cab(rotating speaker),phase shifters.these devices were relatively new to players and he uesd them well.not to mention his studio use of echo and reverb.

2-I have heard,and will try to find where,that when Eric Clapton went to see Jimi,he fell to the floor in a fetal position and cried.guess he saw a new god.

3-died in his glory?he was only 27.he was starting to exploore some different stuff-listen to Electric Ladyland.

Personally,I don't think that Jimi Hendrix is or was "the best".Who can say who's best.but to a young wannabe rock star in the late 60's and early 70's,like me,he was the best yet.and he has influenced all that follow.you too.

rayIII
10-03-2005, 10:40 PM
1st: he didnt die in glory, he died in a puddle of his own vomit.

2nd: hell no, hes not the best. Jimis got noting on Yngwie. and lastly, what is this obsession with dead people? Half of these great artists never get credit until they die.

btw I do like Hendrix. He's great, just not the best

SouthernRoCkGoD
10-04-2005, 12:35 AM
ywegie or however you spell in my opinion blazes blazing fast and deffinatly be credit'd for his mastery of technique but i dont see how you can compare him to hendrix ive just come to realize that ppl get feeling out of different types of music and all but i dont get any feeling of of ywegie and get tons from hendrix but thats just me

SdKfz
10-04-2005, 09:02 AM
every post you write makes me question your intelligence.

You have no clue, you a merely a fool

:haha

You made me laugh, thanks.

I also don't believe Hendrix's did Heay Metal, Purple Haze is something between
rock-blues-jazz, in my opinion.

Derigiberble
10-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah, thats great, but Hendrix was in the military. Just so you know.

yeah for like a few weeks, and do you honestly thing that during the vietnam was he would have been allowed to start a jazz band in the army?

theexperience13
10-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, now, I'm gonna say he's the best just because "Axis" is the greatest example of guitar playing ever. Now Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton are a close second, but Hendrix, at the time, just blew evrybody out of the water. He's also the one who inspired to start playing guitar.

Ace Frehley
10-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Of course he is the best i don't think anyone today can play guitar with his teeth?????

Derigiberble
10-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Of course he is the best i don't think anyone today can play guitar with his teeth?????

i doubt anyone could play guitar with hendrixs teeth somehow ;)

seriously though, loads of people can play guitar with their teeth, i can :cool: its not that hard and hendrix did copy the idea from other people

jewishosama
10-04-2005, 11:43 AM
^ this is true, but it doesnt replace the fact that Hendrix was in the military, so pow. pwned.

just kidding, foo

Garf72
10-04-2005, 12:37 PM
he had an understanding of guitar that goes way past what any theory could do for anyone and he was revolutionary on almost all aspects of the guitar, nobody can deny he deserves a lot of respect but he wasn't the best

The Powerslave
10-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Well in terms of skill he cetainly wasnt the best ever. But huis rhythm, influence, and the fact he was a pioneer of guitar means he's right up there. It just depends on what you look for in 'the best' guitarist. All round he was probably the best, with Clapton and Page very close. But in terms of skill he's beaten by quite a few modern people, although to be fair modern people have many more guitarists to study, and so can learn a bit more, if that makes any sense.

ammorrise
10-04-2005, 05:24 PM
As a guitarist, Jimi played with more style than many guitarists I've ever heard. As a songwriter, his lyrics rocked ("...shiny metallic purple armor...") but his tunes...well... they left something to be desired, certainly.

It's odd that he wasn't that good of a melody writer, because he was a great guitar riff writer. Example: Crosstown Traffic. The riff is incredibly catchy, and the guitar effect is marvelous. The tune of the song reeks, however. Okay, the chorus isn't bad, but he basically talks the verses. Same with Foxy Lady. Purple Haze has the same tune over and over, but it has one of the most recognizable lead guitar parts ever. What's the deal?

adam02
10-04-2005, 06:30 PM
il prob get flamed for this, but id say the most musically and most skilled gutiarist on the planet right now, has got to be Little Stevie Vai. Jimi was great. but i really dont think jimi's the greatest ever. back in the day wenever ppl would say "such in such..like jimi hendrix" i would ask "whos Jimi hendrix" then id get a reply like "OMG noob! Hes the best guitarist EVER!" so i think ppl think hes great because they want to hop on the band wagon and follow the crowd and not be an outcast, by repeating "hes the best ever"

So wat im gunna say now is. IMO i dont see wat all the hype is about. i dont really get impressed by his guitar skills, and i dont really think his songs are legendary.

but to back this up i would like to then say that the most inspirational and skillful and musically blessed musician ive ever heard is Steve vai.

new thought: Steve vai's main influence was jimi hendrix. wen steve was startin out on guitar. this was like 1966 or sumthin. and at that time 'Hendrix' was pretty much the best guitarist ever, because he was pretty much the only decent guitarist at that 'era.
but now in the 21st century with have so much more better guitarists. Look at VAi as an example. this may sound like im obsessed with him or opinionated. but he is te best without a doubt. i say to those ppl out there on UG who reply to wat i have to say with:

"pft thats opinion"

Is it? is it really. there are facts to go along with this too. you can measure a persons skill on guitar. with is fact.

but u cant really measure how musically great they are. which is opinion.

so in conclusion. jimi hendrix was the Best , back in the 60's and 70's.
But i think some of us really need to jump off the band wagon, and step away from the crowd and actually take a look around. He's not the greatest anymore. dont get me wrong hes still great. but there are others who are greater. peace out and i hope ppl understand wat im tryin to say.

"Do you even know why you think he's so great?"

Nobody's Hero
10-04-2005, 07:09 PM
nope. hes definitely not (in my opinion) the best ever, but hes a really underrated song writer. anyone who disagrees should listen to CASTLES MADE OF SAND! which is one of the best songs i have ever had the pleasure of hearing.

evh77
10-04-2005, 07:11 PM
no

SethMegadefan
10-04-2005, 07:41 PM
nope. hes definitely not (in my opinion) the best ever, but hes a really underrated song writer. anyone who disagrees should listen to CASTLES MADE OF SAND! which is one of the best songs i have ever had the pleasure of hearing.
That's about what I think. He's not the best guitarist but was a brilliant songwriter.

trey-col89
10-04-2005, 08:51 PM
He was a pioneer, but was not the best guitarist.... eventhough this is all my opinion.

sk8border387
10-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Jimi could read music. It just came out of him. He never played the same thing twice. I think Page, Halen, ect. were great guitarists but they all had it written down. Jimi's guitar was his spirit, they were one. You have to define what "best" is first. Is best the fastest? the hardest? I think to be best depends on the spirit put into what is played. Jimi isnt comparable to other guitarists, thats why he is godly.

SdKfz
10-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Jimi could read music. It just came out of him. He never played the same thing twice. I think Page, Halen, ect. were great guitarists but they all had it written down. Jimi's guitar was his spirit, they were one. You have to define what "best" is first. Is best the fastest? the hardest? I think to be best depends on the spirit put into what is played. Jimi isnt comparable to other guitarists, thats why he is godly.

I agree with you. Yes, he played what came out of him, that means his playing was based on his feelings at the moment, i believe/

socalkevin
10-06-2005, 07:52 AM
In my opinion there are no "BEST" guitar players.....Jimi was unique and talented...but then again ...So am I. haahahahahah

Slash_HuDsOn
10-06-2005, 02:30 PM
there is no best guitarist ever each one of them has their own style, its like comparing different fruits to each other...however there is a worst guitarist and his name is Billy-Joe Armstrong......and Jimi isnt comparable to any other simply because he played like his guitar was a third arm, just playing what passed through him and what he felt

adam02
10-06-2005, 05:31 PM
one question...how do you play an arm?

SkinnyWhiteBoy
10-06-2005, 05:36 PM
yeah, people are gonna just argue this, he was good, but i wouldnt say best, like come on, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Eddie Van Halen..are all way better in my opinion so..

Jimmy Page? Most intermediate guitar player can play his songs, and how many people can play Voodo Child? Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendrix are the only ones that I know of...

adam02
10-06-2005, 05:37 PM
^ i can play it :)

SkinnyWhiteBoy
10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
^ i can play it :)

Ok, lets hear it. Record yourself playing the guitar with a Video Camera or something. Then show it...

Jarrett Moore
10-06-2005, 06:21 PM
i can play it. everyone cAN do the intro wah wah part the thing people have trouble with is like the main riff thing, took me a while to get it but i can paly that song. also i think that is 1 of the things that makes hendrix so amazingly incredibly amazing was that all his songs had almostno main riff. it was prewttty much a solo while he sang, then stop sining and do another solo, then go back to dsoloing and singing. thats why i can do voodoo chile, it has a riff. also stuff like foxey lady cause that 1 has a main ruiff as well. and i woul drecord myself, if i had any means of doing so.

SdKfz
10-07-2005, 07:24 AM
i can play it. everyone cAN do the intro wah wah part the thing people have trouble with is like the main riff thing, took me a while to get it but i can paly that song. also i think that is 1 of the things that makes hendrix so amazingly incredibly amazing was that all his songs had almostno main riff. it was prewttty much a solo while he sang, then stop sining and do another solo, then go back to dsoloing and singing. thats why i can do voodoo chile, it has a riff. also stuff like foxey lady cause that 1 has a main ruiff as well. and i woul drecord myself, if i had any means of doing so.

The point is to create it, not just to play it...

~1954~
10-07-2005, 10:56 AM
He was the best guitarist of his day but nowadays Guitar playing has evolved so much you cannot possibly compare him to Modern players. For his time he was very good technically but by todays standards his music isn't all that dificult really, its just it was innovative. That doesnt mean I wasn't great though, and that is why Hendrix is still renowned as the greatest guitar player ever.

mmonster
10-07-2005, 03:50 PM
check out this "top ten guitarists"list

http://www.jambands.com/Columns/DGreenhaus/content_2005_08_08.00.phtml

Derigiberble
10-07-2005, 03:54 PM
is that supposed to convince me? someones opinion?

im sorry but there are better guitarists, hes not the best, nobody is

Prophet of Page
10-07-2005, 03:58 PM
He was the best guitarist of his day.

No he wasn't, there were Fusion players who were lightyears ahead of him at the time he was around.

Jarrett Moore
10-07-2005, 04:57 PM
The point is to create it, not just to play it...

i know that im not an idiot. i was just saying cause some guy said like the only person who can do hendrix stuff was steve vai.

Jarrett Moore
10-07-2005, 04:58 PM
No he wasn't, there were Fusion players who were lightyears ahead of him at the time he was around.

like who?

SdKfz
10-08-2005, 08:48 AM
i know that im not an idiot. i was just saying cause some guy said like the only person who can do hendrix stuff was steve vai.

Ok then, I love Hendrix's music and I wanna know if Steeve Vai is similar, cause he is coming to my town is a couple of weeks...

Notice:
I love all the classic tracks of Hendix, escpecially the 'Hey Joe', 'Stone Free' and 'Little Wing' stuff.

Abe
10-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Hendrix is great, undoubtedly. And in my opinion - yes, he is he best.