My hand hurts

PDA

View Full Version : My hand hurts

Pi_Guitar
08-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey, I think this is mostly a problem of the weakness of my hand, but maybe also for acoustic guitar. Anyway: My left hand hurts after I've been playing a lot of barre chords on higher frets. I think that's a problem with the pressure required and partly that I don't play so much up there.
Just wondering if anyone has had that problem, and whether it gets better with practice, or perhaps if there is a better way to hold the guitar to reduce that. (Note then, I hold my guitar almost horizontal and as if it were on my lap.)
Thanks for any help!
~TT

weedmasta76
08-01-2005, 01:50 PM
it gets better with practice

lEcheloNl
08-01-2005, 01:52 PM
you have those super tough strings like me
when im doing tough arppegios for too long my hand starts to have immense pain and crap it seems to get better
basically u will get stronger the more u do it

Pi_Guitar
08-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I figured it would get better with practice, but like Echelon said, it like starts to cramp after a while. :)
Acoustic strings have so much tension, up higher on the fretboard it just gets difficult to push all six down...at least without consequences later. Thanks.

LPriffer23
08-01-2005, 01:56 PM
try to set your action a little lower. That way, the strings have more flex and are not as tight at the bottom. Again, practice also helps.

Iluvpowerchords
08-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Keep on playing, it gets easier.

But If you need a little less tension lower the action

Pi_Guitar
08-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah...actually the action is pretty low on my guitar, just that my hands are really weak. :) I already have a problem with buzzing a fair amount sometimes (especially if you play it with distortion), so I think I'll just have to settle for practicing more.

tearjerkerrhcp
08-01-2005, 02:19 PM
U need to play all the time and masterbate with your left hand but If u start to cramp stop for a few and let it relax then go at it agian haha this applys to playing and masterbating

daJeff
08-01-2005, 11:27 PM
You should consider lighter strings...or just wait it out, my hand stopped cramping after awhile. I also think you're holding your guitar wrong. I'd consider looking into the right way to hold it, other than that, just wait it out.

jimtaka
08-02-2005, 12:35 AM
definitely just practice since you say that you're action is already pretty low, you're fingers will toughen up over time.

lausey
08-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Mine hurt when I first started playing but don't worry - they'll toughen up and you won't notice if you just keep practising.

Custom24lover
08-02-2005, 10:07 AM
When you practice and it starts to hurt I would suggest you stop and let the muscles and tendons heal. I have already had carpel tunnel and tendonitis in my left hand from over doing it. Believe me when the chiropractor dude tells you not to play for at least a month you will almost lose it.

Sexy_Guitarist5
08-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Finger weights? Or those finger pushing things, they help.

lawn gnome
08-02-2005, 04:26 PM
if you play with your guitar almost horizontal you might wanna fix that too, cuz it's ridiculous

tfkaddict
08-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by lawn gnome
if you play with your guitar almost horizontal you might wanna fix that too, cuz it's ridiculous

That ranks right up there with some of the dumbest things I've heard. While it is true that alot of electric and classical is played with the the guitar angled upwards, many great artists have played with the guitar almost horizontal. Just cause you dont have your guitar slung so that it looks like you're scratching your crotch when you play doesnt mean its a ridiculous position to play in.

However, it is possible to alleviate some of the stress by raising it up. I would suggest making sure your wrist is loose, not "choking" the neck, and then, IF NECESSARY, tilt up the guitar. Usually hand pain is more from the hand strength, positioning of the thumb, and tightness of grip.

:cheers:

The Addict

hollaback_girl
08-30-2005, 10:00 AM
i think you should just practice. it always hurts when you first try and do barre chords!

IamJonsCranium
08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
stretch a little (your fingers and wrist, no need for toe touches) before you play. do some warmups to get the muscles ready.

once your hands are stronger, you may want to raise your action. if it is so low that the strings buzz, you are compromising sound quality. low action means low bass.