Wait...so do you have to get special pickups for a lefty guitar!?!

PDA

View Full Version : Wait...so do you have to get special pickups for a lefty guitar!?!

ledzep618
08-01-2005, 05:42 PM
On seymour duncans site, it say that certain pick ups are available lefty....wtf....can i not use regular replacement p-ups?

chrispozzobon
08-01-2005, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't think you would.. Unless the magnets need to be switched? I don't know, I'm really not good at this stuff. Interesting though.

MetalToTheEnd
08-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Wrong forum.

ibanez12306
08-01-2005, 05:52 PM
That doesn't make a difference. You can put any kind of pickups into a left handed guitar.

E Daws
08-01-2005, 05:58 PM
When you go to put them in, turn them 180 degrees from the picture. You need to do this for some pick ups, like if you were putting Texas Specials in a left hand strat because the pole heights were designed to make some strings sound certain ways.

kilog55
08-01-2005, 07:17 PM
well the names would be upside down if you put regular into a lefty, if they cost more screw it go for the regular, it's probly a marketing ploy

ledzep618
08-01-2005, 09:41 PM
So if I wanted to get a strat, and put in an SD JB Jr/ Duckbucker/ Duckbucker...I would have to turn the upside down?

ludachris0606
08-01-2005, 09:50 PM
maybe they're customized by Lefty from Korn...
Just a thought because i don't think it matters what type of pickup you use whether you're a lefty or righty...

E Daws
08-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ledzep618
So if I wanted to get a strat, and put in an SD JB Jr/ Duckbucker/ Duckbucker...I would have to turn the upside down?
If the three poles on each side of the pick up are the same (the middle two at the same height, the outer two at the same height, the two between those at the same height) then you wouldn't need to flip them, but if the height was not symetrical then you would need to turn it to get the same effect.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by ludachris0606
maybe they're customized by Lefty from Korn...
Just a thought because i don't think it matters what type of pickup you use whether you're a lefty or righty...

Lefty from Korn...?:confused: Firstly, there isnt anyone in Korn with the name of Lefty, as far as I know. Secondly, they use Dimarzio pickups I belive.

Kartman
08-01-2005, 11:45 PM
i play lefty

Preid
08-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Look, E Daws is right. Just turn the pickup upsides down. Its your own fault for being a lefty in the first place. You lefties always leave the pens on the wrong side of the signout book and it cracks me up :rant:

JorisBlack
08-02-2005, 09:53 AM
U could also try to put the PU's in without turning them around. Who knows, it might sound good? (something that Jimi Hendrix maybe would do if he was still alive)

ledzep618
08-02-2005, 12:35 PM
I think it only matters for Pick ups w/ staggered pole pieces cause those are the only ones that are available lefty, so I think like E daws said, unless the pole pieces are staggered, then it's fine.

Alnico II Pro? Staggered
see | hear | specs | dimensions
APS-1 Alnico II magnets are the musical magnets. Their softer magnetic field provides a warmer, sweeter tone and eliminates the brittle, glassy sound associated with newer instruments. The result is a freer, more natural string vibration for greater sustain. Available in a left-handed version with a reversed staggered magnet patter for lefties or for right-handed players striving for that classic Hendrix sound.
Available in left-handed version
Available reverse wound, reverse polarity (RW/RP)
Available in calibrated sets with a RW/RP middle