A guide to Maj 7th arpeggios

PDA

View Full Version : A guide to Maj 7th arpeggios

Leigh|esp
08-04-2005, 07:53 AM
This lesson is mainly about the C Maj 7th arpeggio, how to play it where to
play it, and the pattern you can use for any root note for a major 7th arpeggio.

Hopefully you understand the main concept of arpeggios
If not ill try and explain.

An arpeggio basically means playing the notes of a chords one after the other
Any major chord consists of 3 notes, which are the first note the third note and the fifth note in the key of which major SCALE you use
ill use the C maj chord as an example because its the easiest to understand.
The notes for the C Major Chord are:
C, being the root note, E being the third note and G being the 5th note in the scale of C.

The C Major 7th Arpeggio consists of four notes C E G B wich are, the root note
the Third note in the c major scale the Fifth note in the C Major Scale and
the Seventh note in the C Major scale.

C MAJOR SCALE NOTES:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C D E F G A B C

There are a few patterns for the Major 7th arpeggio
ill explain 5 of them, which will be in the key of C.

The pattern will be the same for each root note
for example, when playing a D Maj 7th arpeggio move the pattern up 2 frets.
I'll give you the first pattern, you work out the rest.

PATTERN 1)
Make sure u play it forwards then backwards
|----------------------------3--7-|
|-------------------------5-------| The r next to the numbers mean
|-----------------4--5r-----------| the ROOT note, which is C
|-----------2--5------------------|
|----2--3r------------------------|
|-3-------------------------------|

The pattern is
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 <------- Fret Number (open String to 7th fret)
e|x x 0 x x x 0
B|x x x x 0 x x
G|x x x 0 0 x x
D|x 0 x x 0 x x
A|x 0 0 x x x x
E|x x 0 x x x x
x denotes the frets you dont play
0 denotes the frets you do play

PATTERN 2)

|-------------------------7--8----|
|-------------------5--8----------|
|----------------5----------------|
|----------5--9-------------------|
|-------7-------------------------|
|-7--8----------------------------|

PATTERN 3)

|---------------------------7--8--|
|------------------------8--------|
|---------------------9-----------|
|--------------9--10--------------|
|-------7--10---------------------|
|-7--8----------------------------|

PATTERN 4)

|------------------------------8--12--|
|--------------------------12---------|
|-------------------9--12-------------|
|------------9--10--------------------|
|--------10---------------------------|
|-8--12-------------------------------|

PATTERN 5)

|---------------------------------12--15-|
|-------------------------12--13---------|
|---------------------12-----------------|
|-----------------14---------------------|
|---------14--15-------------------------|
|-12--15---------------------------------|

These patterns work for any major 7th arpeggio
all these are in C which ive stated above
hopefully this is clear enough for everyone to read

wilty00
08-06-2005, 08:27 PM
I can't helpfully comment on the lesson as I don't know anything about Major 7th Arpeggios but I can help with one thing:

Use code.

Leigh|esp
08-06-2005, 09:45 PM
how do i go about doing that, im kinda new to this site, and havent posted much

slash_pwns
08-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Code ins't an issue... He obviously wrote it in notepad (which is good) and copied and pasted...

The real problem is... He didn't go to school. You can't honestly expect someone to read this when you don't use periods, etc...

As for the actual 'lesson'... You explain everything half assed. An arpeggios lesson isn't needed, as there are many on this site. I've even written two myself ;). You need to go in depth on chord construction, major scale, and how they relate to eachother... Then work on your meaning of 'arpeggio'. An arpeggio basically means playing the notes of a chords note after note...just doesn't cut it. Basically, yes, but lessons aren't just 'basic'. Any major chord consists of 3 notesOuch. ANY major chord? What about... maj7? The one you're focussing on. It is a major chord... Isn't it?

I didn't check the patterns for accuracy because I assume you know where to find C, E, G and B. :rolleyes:

I think you should rewrite this, spellcheck, grammar check, etc... And maybe offer some insight on how to use maj7 arpeggios and where.

*thumbs down*

EDIT: By the way, to use code put code tags around your tabs.

TABS HERE[/code*]

Remove the asterisk (*) at the end of the first and second tags and you will get:[code]TABS HERE

Leigh|esp
08-06-2005, 10:43 PM
thanks for the info slash
it was rushed , i basically wanted people to understand the patterns of the arpeggios.
i have noticed with students i have taught that they get bored trying to work out arpeggios by tab or by notes, and when you have given them the actual pattern they tend to enjoy it and understand it alot more, and when you think about it, playing guitar has alot to do with understanding certain patterns, eg. any kind of scale, whether its major, minor, pentatonic etc
and yes i do need to go back to school
and when i said any major chord, i meant just major not maj 7th.

but thanks for the criticism

Leigh|esp
08-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Mainly i just want to know if its easy enough to understand
and if there are any problems i need to fix

slash_pwns
08-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Easy to understand is one thing, but keeping them interested so they don't quit the subject or plaing the guitar entirely is complete bullshit. If you didn't like it enough to learn this one thing than what's the point?

You should write lessons to inform, not to entertain... I think it's up to SD/Rankles whether we need another Arpeggios lesson.

Leigh|esp
08-08-2005, 04:33 AM
this lesson is both informative and entertaining, playing guitar is all about entertainment.
I dont really care if we need another arpeggios lesson, i wouldnt care if it was taken down.
I just wanted to write a simple lesson on how to understand the pattern within arpeggios.
if you dont like it then thats your opinion, if anybody else doesnt like it, its there opinion.
All I wanted to do was contribute my knowledge of arpeggios hoping somebody will benefit from it, if all this crap is going to happen each time i write a lesson then i wont bother.
I just want to know why this lesson is such a big thing for you and why you dislike the lesson?

suffer some
08-08-2005, 05:08 AM
I liked the lesson. My guitar teacher showed me a similar thing. The number of technical gaps in the lesson is irrelevant, playing the shapes lets you get a sense for a melodic pattern. And if you want you can mess around with playing two or three of the notes at a time, and seeing how it sounds, you're basically learning through listening to yourself play and experimenting.

slash_pwns
08-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Well... You said it yourself... It's my opinion. I myself write lessons and have written two on Arpeggios already.

The entire use of this forum is to make sure the lessons & articles are ready for submission and so the community can critique and question them. Lessons aren't sumbmitted without perfect grammar and they can't be pointless.

Read your lesson looking for these things: Perfect spelling, puncuation and grammar. Good, relevant topic Explanation of the theory behing the topic (if neccassary) Have you proof read? If you were new to the topic, what would you rate this (X/5)? Are you happy with this? Will assholes like slash_pwns like it?
And if you don't have one of these, this forum can help... But atleast put this into Word and spell/grammar check so SD doens't have to do it for you.

SilentDeftone
08-08-2005, 10:22 AM
You've got a few run-on sentences and spelling errors, and I agree with some of what slash said, i.e. your definition of an arpeggio is lacking, I really dislike the teaching approach of 'here's a bunch of patterns for you to learn'.

If you're still serious about submitting it I'll go through and find the grammatical errors for you when I next look at this.

-SD :dance:

Leigh|esp
08-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks slash, i dont think your an asshole...much ;) hahaha
I wanted to give a short lesson rather then submit a novel.

What i will do is rewrite it and explain as much as i can in detail
I dont want to overlap anything with slash_pwns lessons, which i might add are very good lessons, in a way i just wanted to add my notes on patterns.
I will spend the next few days editing it, maybe adding a few notes on chord structure and maybe do a connection between scales and arpeggios, all in my own words offcourse.
I was also thinking about adding minor 7, dom 7 and half diminished, all of which are based on four-note diatonic chords
but as i said i dont want it to turn into a novel.
Thanks SilentDeftone but i dont want you to go to all the trouble
ill do it asap.

Leigh|esp
08-18-2005, 05:19 AM
Actually im thinking of scrapping this whole thing and maybe doing a lesson on recognising patterns in music eg, pentatonic scales/major scale, arpeggios, and so on.
Tell me if you think its a good idea

slash_pwns
08-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Why don't you write a lesson on Jazz or Blues? As sugggested in the 'TO DO' List.

Leigh|esp
08-18-2005, 11:08 PM
yeah i might do a blues one, on pentatonic and blue's scale
maybe add 12 bar maybe even a walking bass line to go with it

The_Strat_Man
08-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Don't worry about the blues one, I'm writing it right now. Expect it to be done soon (a rough draft in about a week).