How to get clean distortion

PDA

View Full Version : How to get clean distortion

ptityop
08-05-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi!

I have a Fender Highway strat with a peavey classic 30 , a boss MT2 , ibanez TS9 ....I
My main concern is I wonder how to get a clean distortion without fizzy end....I just don't get how we manage to do that...I know the bettre the gear the metter the sound but I think we should be able to do the same with the gear I have....Can anyone tell me if it is somtehing to do with the tones settings, pedal gain or anything else.....many thanx!

bass_man_dan
08-05-2005, 06:08 AM
If you have a noise supressor on your amp, or pedal or whatever, turn that on full and it will block out the fuzz thing.

ptityop
08-05-2005, 06:09 AM
I tried this ..but the thing with the nois suppressor is it cuts the sustain

bass_man_dan
08-05-2005, 06:10 AM
oh

bass_man_dan
08-05-2005, 06:11 AM
turn the gain and sustain up

ajbmosh
08-05-2005, 06:22 AM
I don't usually fiddle with the amp. I would usually turn the volume or tone down on the guitar. This is an example - Lost Prophets - Burn Burn play the same riff throughout but the verse has a "clean distortion" sound. While the chorus has a more "messy sound." They just turn the volume down on the guitar and this makes some of the "fuzz" be unheard.

That's what i find works best for me.

ptityop
08-05-2005, 06:32 AM
I will try fiddle around with the tones..i found something interesting on fender site ere it is:

FenderŪ TONE SECRETS

"How can I get a "Clean Distortion" from my amp? How did Stevie Ray Vaughan get his tone? What kind of pedal or preamp will give me this sound?"

The main source of lead guitar tone for Stevie Ray (and many other Blues and Rock players) is known as OUTPUT TUBE DISTORTION. Many of those players who are more experienced will scoff at how obvious this is...However, there are quite a few players out there shopping for guitar gear who do not remember a world without programmable rack effects and digital amps. Output Tube Distortion simply means that a tube amp is being turned up loud enough (or played hard enough) to distort the Power Amp section of the amplifier. This will be heard as a harmonically rich, sustaining tone.

While a distortion pedal will add sustain and harmonics, it also tends to render all instruments the same or faceless. This is great when you are a beginner with a lower priced guitar...Not so great when you have an expensive high-quality guitar, and the fuzz box makes it sound the same as the lower priced one! This holds true for amps with built-in distortion, too. The more preamp gain you apply, the more you run the risk of masking your guitar's tone. (I know what you are thinking: "But didn't Stevie use a Tube Screamer pedal?") Yes, he did, but only as a boost. If you don't believe me, try the pedal into a solid-state amp (or even a high-powered tube amp set very low) and see if you can duplicate the tone! The amp's tone is most important!

excalibur672
08-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Turn your gain down.

RhoadsSRV8290
08-05-2005, 06:53 PM
ptityop is right. I have a Fender Vibrolux and i just turn the damn thing up to 6 and its better than any pedal will ever give you. You have a classic 30. Just crank the thing and fiddle with the EQ if you have to.

seljer
08-05-2005, 07:08 PM
I always liked turning the gain and volume up, but turning the volume on your guitar down. Could try messing around with that

MeGaDeth2314
08-05-2005, 07:10 PM
I have a question for all these people saying that you should crank your tube amps' volume to get a nice warm overdrive. If you crank the volume on the amp, but then turn it down on your guitar, does the overdrive sound stay? And does it still harm the tubes because of the volume being up so high?

RhoadsSRV8290
08-05-2005, 07:37 PM
^it normally cuts the life to about 1 or 1 and a half years if you really crank it often. It doesn't hurt the tubes. Hendrix, Zep, AC/DC, The Who all just cranked their amps to get the great crunch everybody wants but doesn't know where to find it.

If you turn the volume down on your guitar the amp's overdrive becomes a little more mellow depending on how loud you have it. All tube amps break up at different levels.