lower the Action on a Acoustic?

PDA

View Full Version : lower the Action on a Acoustic?

bravehorse
08-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Does anyone know how to lower the action on a Acoustic. I would like to lower my strings on my brand new Acoustic? Can anyone help...thanks....:confused:

realitysux
08-07-2005, 08:01 AM
i don't think you can lower the action on an acoustic. but ibanez makes one with already lowered action, has the same action as an electric almost.

bravehorse
08-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Well what if you dont have that. I have a Washburn.

realitysux
08-07-2005, 08:37 AM
put a capo on it, and down tune your strings so that they are whatever tuning you normally use.

:cheers:

ugm2kaar
08-07-2005, 08:40 AM
If you think you're up for it, then try adjusting the truss rod (if not, get some expert to do it). If it doesn't help, maybe you need to sand paper bits on the nut and saddle. Not really sure about that sandpaper thing, cause I only play around with the truss rod on my acoustic and it works fine.

realitysux
08-07-2005, 08:40 AM
if you use standard tuning, without the capo, tune everything sown a half step, then put the capo on the first fret.

bravehorse
08-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I've been thinking about the truss rod but there are some people that say its good and some say its very bad to be adjusting?

moe_d
08-07-2005, 10:57 AM
No, dont adjust the truss rod to lower your strings. Only use the truss rod if you are switching to a diffrent guage strings. The best way to lower your action is sanding down the saddle.

bravehorse
08-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Is that something thats pretty easy to do yourself or do I have to get someone else to do it for me?

moe_d
08-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Id say get someone to do it for you. Goto your local music store and they should be able to do it.

bravehorse
08-07-2005, 12:27 PM
lol..thats funny you should say that. I'm no where near any store. Could I just take it apart myself and sand it down myself. It cant be that hard right?

qui_123456
08-08-2005, 08:59 AM
is this lowering the action as in weakening the strings so they arent as hard to spick or strum but still have standard tuning etc?

jfbrown42
08-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Lowering the action puts the strings closer to the fretboard. It makes the guitar easier on the fingers to play. Another way to make it easier is to switch to lighter (thinner guage) strings. For an acoustic, you can probably get down to .011 or .010 "extra-light", "super-light" etc. strings.

Don't mess with the truss rod, ever.

I'd suggest not trying to lower the action yourself either. Take the guitar to a shop and get them to do it for you. That's the first thing I do whenever I buy a new guitar (well, except for my Carvin C250 which came right out of the case with awesome action, ready to play). They will charge you for it, but it shouldn't be too expensive ($30-50 or so). If they want to charge you $150 to lower the action, ask them why. Is there something really wrong with your guitar that needs fixing too, or are they just ripping you off.

By the way, don't lower the action if you plan on playing slide guitar. Your slide will hit the frets. That's a Bad Thing.
:cheers:

jfbrown42
08-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by moe_d
No, dont adjust the truss rod to lower your strings. Only use the truss rod if you are switching to a diffrent guage strings. The best way to lower your action is sanding down the saddle.
I've never had to get a truss rod adjusted just because of switching string guages. It's for fixing bent necks.

bravehorse
08-10-2005, 06:09 AM
Well I tightined the truss rod and it helped out on the problem but is anything going to happen to my guitar now? There is nothing wrong with it. It sounds fine now and I'm able to play it alot better with the strings pulled closer to the frets

tabser
02-05-2008, 01:40 AM
thanks alot guys will try to fixx the problem just have a yamaha eterna if i cant fix it i will just buy a new one ahahah

tom183
02-05-2008, 02:33 AM
i don't think you can lower the action on an acoustic

Yes, you can

If you think you're up for it, then try adjusting the truss rod

The truss rod isnt there for adjusting the action. Action adjustments are made at the saddle and/or nut.

is this lowering the action as in weakening the strings so they arent as hard to spick or strum but still have standard tuning etc?

Not sure what you mean by 'weakening the strings'. Action refers to the height of the strings from the fretboard. Lowering the action is making the strings closer to the fretboard.

To threadstarter, basically, if you have to ask this question then youre probly not ready to be attempting it yourself. Have a qualified tech do it for you.

guitaristclass
02-05-2008, 04:15 PM
You can use the truss rod to lower the action. 8/10 times there's not enough tension in the truss rod and the action is very high.

Look down the neck of your guitar. Using your strings for a straight line reference; is it dead straight, is there a slight curve moving away from the strings or a very big curve?

If there is a very slight curve, your truss rod is fine and you don't need to adjust it.

jimtaka
02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Wow, almost everything in this thread is incorrect.

You can lower the action on any acoustic.

You don't lower the action using the truss rod. Adjusting the truss rod can and often will have slight effects on the action, but it is not a means of adjusting the action. The truss rod is used to adjust neck relief.

Lowering the action isn't that hard to do and it really isn't necessary to have a professional do it. You can do it yourself as long as you do some research and make sure you know what you are doing and are careful in doing it. Have a look at this tutorial, it is excellent:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/LowerAction/loweraction01.html

Sleaze Disease
07-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Don't mess with the truss rod, ever.
Are you kidding me?

It's not like if you touch it, the neck is just going to snap in half.

I absolutely hate when people have the mentality that everything should be done by a professional and you should never even attempt to do anything yourself and actually learn about the instrument you're playing; it's even worse when said people tell it to others.

Any player worth their salt should know how to do, at the very least, basic set-up on their instrument of choice.

LeftyDave
07-21-2010, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=Sleaze Disease]Are you kidding me?QUOTE]

Are YOU kidding ME? Did you even bother to look at the dates in this thread before blindly posting in it? It's a necro from about the time I joined up with UG for cripe sake.

Sleaze Disease
07-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Who cares?
I had something to say, so I said it.

MRCXDavis
07-22-2010, 12:23 PM
jimtaka is right. It's easy. Buy a Graphtech Saddly. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Make sure you have a few sheets each of 400 and 600 'No-Fill' emery paper, a set of feeler gauges, a capo, and a thick sheet of thick glass (coffee table top may do). Don't rush the job. It usually tales me several hours to set up an acoustic but is well worth the effort. You can also download instructions from the Graphteck website. Good luck!

alteredtunings
07-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Haha, I just ran across this old thread. Sleaze is awesome and he is right. Why is everyone always worried about working on their own guitars.

Just jump in and get started. You'll never learn if you don't start. Here's an easy to follow tutorial with some steps to lower your acoustic action if anyone in the future sees this thread:

http://guitarrepairbench.com/acoustic-guitar-repairs/acoustic_guitar_action_adjustment.html