My Lesson On Playing Bass With All 4 Fingers...

PDA

View Full Version : My Lesson On Playing Bass With All 4 Fingers...

MyChemicalBass
08-07-2005, 05:39 PM
I actually tried to post the actually lesson but the code messed up so....heres the link.

I originally(sp?) made this thread in the bass forum and some people said to submit it as a lesson..and I though I should run it by you first. Well is it good?http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=241172

sillybuuger12
09-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Spelling corrected... *******************************************
Well as many of you know I can play with all 4 of my fingers...therefore I have decided to help the fellow bassists on UG :cheers:

3 Fingers
Well, obviously to play with all 4 of your fingers you have to be able to play with 3 first. Well, to start off place your thumb on the pickup. From there it will be easiest to pluck with your fingers. First do this with just 2 fingers.
|---------------------------1-2-3-4
|------------------1-2-3-4---------
|---------1-2-3-4------------------
|1-2-3-4---------------------------

I?m sure most of you found that simple. Now take just your ring finger and pluck the same tab as above. Start off slowly as it might feel weird...but keep doing it and gradually speed up. Now I want you to play a fast but very simple song-B.Y.O.B. by System Of A Down...and yes Shavo plays with a pick but your going to play with fingers. Here's the first riff...
Gb|----------------------------------------------------------||
Db|----------------------------------------------------------||
Ab|--------------------------------------------------7--8-10-||
Db|0-0-0-7-0-0-8-0-0-7-0-0-8-0-0-7-0-0-0-7-0-0-8-0-0---------||

Gb|----------------------------------------------------------||
Db|----------------------------------------------------------||
Ab|--------------------------------------------------10--8-7-||
Db|0-0-0-7-0-0-8-0-0-7-0-0-8-0-0-7-0-0-0-7-0-0-8-0-0---------||

Ok once you have that totally down and simple with all 3 fingers lets move onto 4....

4 Fingers
Ok now that you have mastered 3 fingers and are comfortable, let?s move onto 4. Start by playing this with just your pinkie.

Again start off slowly and steadily start going faster. I suggest at first play this sitting down...but later when you?re playing standing up wear your bass moderately high. not to high but to where you don?t have to change the angle of your hand. After your pinkie gets strong and faster try the B.Y.O.B. riff as seen above with all 4 fingers. After you have that done let?s try my personal favourite...Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden.
G|---------------------|---------------------|
D|---------------------|---------------------|
A|-5-55-5-55-5-55-5-55-|-5-55-5-55-5-55-5-55-|
E|---------------------|---------------------|

G|---------------------|-----------------|
D|---------------------|-----------------|
A|-3-33-3-33-3-33-3-33-|-2-2-3-3-2-2-3-3-|
E|---------------------|-----------------|

I also suggest listening to the song so you can understand how fast Steve Harris is playing.

My Pinkie Just WON?T DO IT!!
If you have this problem I suggest at school tapping on the desk with your ring and pinkie CONSTANTLEY. I mean all day tapping on the desk with that pinkie till its pink. Literally. Also, this may sound stupid but, do like finger exercises with your pinkie and ring finger. Also every time you pick up your bass do this...

with just your pinkie and ring finger alternating. then it will gradually become easier and soon enough they will be just as strong as your middle and index finger! But all of this takes time my friends... so give it time and you will have all 4 fingers going as fast as... Steve Harris.
:cheers:

I know this wasn?t the best lesson, and it was my first and I hope it was at least a decent attempt. Don?t flame me to hard if it isn?t.

PM me with any questions and/or difficulties. Good luck. :cheers:

Please leave comments!:)

Rankles
09-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Not too bad, quite basic though I mena, it can kinda just be summed up as...

To play bass with four fingers, strengthen your ring and little fingers by tapping them constantly, and then practice with them constantly.

It all seems to go without saying ya know?

marchoso
09-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah but I don't know, I always think these basics would really jumpstart someones hopes of becoming talented. It's vague to our knowledge but it's a handful to people who just picked up a bass.

I don't think it'll get tons of attention but what the heck, I think it's good enough.

Rankles
09-16-2005, 09:30 AM
^ That's a point. Alright then I'll allow it.