What is a dreadnought body? Advantage or Disadvantage?

PDA

View Full Version : What is a dreadnought body? Advantage or Disadvantage?

SGThunderstruck
08-09-2005, 05:43 PM
I am looking to buy my first acoustic guitar. I am looking at the Ibanez PF-5 Dreadnought. I really like the looks of it, but havent played it yet. What does dreadnought mean? And can anyone offer a review on this guitar?

DesertVirtuoso
08-09-2005, 05:50 PM
im pretty sure that the dreadnought is the same as the classic acoutic shape, but bigger. i think that they sound better also.

rockinlewis
08-09-2005, 05:50 PM
dreadnoughts have big bodys, and are loud.

DesertVirtuoso
08-09-2005, 05:56 PM
yeah theres no better or worse when it comes to getting a dreadnought or a regular, it really is all a preference thing, and how loud you want your guitar to be.

Iluvpowerchords
08-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Dreadnaught- Dreadnoughts are probably the most popular style of acoustic guitars because of their versatility. Their big bodies and strong sound make them popular with everyone from "Kumbaya" strummers to unplugged rockers to flat-picking country kickers. Dreadnoughts have square shoulders on the upper and lower bouts, and are fairly wide at the waist. They project a loud, full sound when strummed or picked.

Taken Word for word from the FAQ

flying2bill
08-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Always play a guitar before you by one, I have a PF5 and I like it but I chose it over a 1/2 dozen other PF5 because I thought it sounded and felt better than the others

CorduroyEW
08-09-2005, 07:59 PM
You should read this thread
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/announcement.php?s=&forumid=27

PetTheSweaty
08-09-2005, 08:45 PM
I have an Ibanez PF5 and for the price it is awsome, I definately recommend it for your first acoustic.

Cardinal-Sin
08-11-2005, 01:55 AM
I recently bought a Cort P-200 Earth Dreadnought, and it's amazing. If you are looking for a fuller, richer sound go for a dreadnought, and just watchout for cut-aways, they tend to be ridiculously expensive.

Peace

les_paul_01
08-12-2005, 03:08 AM
i have a yamaha FG300 dreadnaught and its damned fantastic. dreadnaughts look better than most other acoustic guitar shapes and sound great

Dodgeballer
08-12-2005, 07:37 PM
the drednought was made so that strumming and fingerpicking would all sound good on one guitar. the jumbo bodies are for fingerpicking. and a drednought is not like a bigger classical body

pb&guitar
08-12-2005, 10:21 PM
dreadnought = big, standard shaped guitar. probably like the one grandpa has in his attic. its the shape you think of wehn you think of a guitar.
advantages- loud sound, good projection.
disadvantages- unless you have a cutaway you cant really reach the higher frets.... not that you really need to...

SGThunderstruck
08-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by pb&guitar
dreadnought = big, standard shaped guitar. probably like the one grandpa has in his attic. its the shape you think of wehn you think of a guitar.
advantages- loud sound, good projection.
disadvantages- unless you have a cutaway you cant really reach the higher frets.... not that you really need to...

Thankyou, and hahahaha I remember largely participating in the thread featured in your sig. Where the kid got a bad rash on his penis from shampoo? Haaha it was lovely? How can I really describe that?!

And to everyone I'm going shopping for my guitar today, thanks for the help :)